• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee's Last Cry (Kamaitachi no Yoru) out now for 3.99 (Aksys/Spike Chunsoft, iOS)

Goli

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/banshees-last-cry/id740139977?mt=8
Banshee’s Last Cry is a thrilling visual novel that takes readers on a deadly thrill ride of murder and deception. Set in a snowed in hotel lodge during Christmas, vacationers find themselves caught up in a murderous “whodunit” game when someone winds up dead. Local legend tells of a banshee whose screams can rip through flesh, but, is the killer really a deadly monster or the work of a madman?

An inventive twist on the traditional novel, Banshee’s Last Cry allows readers to make decisions, each unlocking several unique stories and endings. Added to the mix is a soundtrack befitting of a thriller novel and images to set the mood.
screen480x480.jpeg

screen480x480.jpeg

From Wikipedia:
Banshee's Last Cry[1] (かまいたちの夜 Kamaitachi no Yoru?, lit. "The Night of the Sickle Weasel") is a Japanese sound novel developed and published by Chunsoft (later Spike Chunsoft). The game was first released in Japan for the Super Famicom on November 25, 1994, and has since been ported to PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, PC, mobile phones, and the Wii Virtual Console. An English version of the game was released by Aksys Games on January 24, 2014 for iOS, with a release on Android devices to follow.[1][2] The story-line was written by Takemaru Abiko and production was directed by Kazuya Asano and Kōichi Nakamura.
Banshee's Last Cry was the second sound novel developed by Chunsoft, and its popularity brought a myriad of other companies to develop similar games. The term "sound novel" was originally a registered trademark of Chunsoft, but is now regarded as a whole genre of its own. The game sold close to a million copies (including remakes and ports), making it a financial success as well.

Amazing! Hopefully this means more of Chunsoft's sound novels are on their way.

GSR

I saw this pop up on Twitter earlier today from a guy I know who loves the series. Was there any prior announcement Aksys was bringing this over? It's one of those games I'd always meant to play but never got around to it.

Shame it's iOS only though, haven't got the hardware to play it.

Oh, fuck, Kamaitachi no Yoru finally localized?

That's rad. Wish I had an iOS device to play it on (edit: apparently it's coming to Android soon, will pick that up for sure). I don't like the art as much as the other versions of it, but whatever, it's not really about that.

Hope more stuff gets translated soon.

Goli

I just got the "My Own Company" ending, it was silly but fun, now to get a real ending and not a joke one!

Does the iOS version keep the improvements from the PSX version (like marking dialog paths you've been down in previous playthroughs and some additional endings, I believe), or is it just based on the SFC version?

Yasumi

Banned
Does the iOS version keep the improvements from the PSX version (like marking dialog paths you've been down in previous playthroughs and some additional endings, I believe), or is it just based on the SFC version?

It does mark chosen dialog, and I'm guessing it has the additional paths as well.

I thought it was kind of cool that the inn they used is actually in British Columbia. Going to need to go up there and check it out one day.

Kinda sounds like they plan on bringing more sound novels over here. Really hope that's the case.

It seems the other ones they have on the iTunes store are 428 and Imabikisou, so maybe we'll see these translated someday? It seems kinda unlikely, but I would've never guessed we'd get this game translated 20 years after the fact...

Oh, and Danganronpa and 999 seem like no-brainers.

Any impressions? Love Chunsoft as well as Aksys's localizations, but have no idea what this is about or how good the story/writing is.

wrowa

Well, I don't really know what this is, but I do know that I want to support Aksys on this one. Bought!

Goli

The game is really good so far, but don't come expecting something like Phoenix Wright or 999 presentation wise, this is just like reading a book, more or less, but with photos in the background as illustrations, sound effects and branching choices.
I'm at the part after Abby is killed.

Goli

So far I've already gotten the "My Own Company",
"Grace takes a fall" and "Done in by Grace"
endings, WHO'S THE KILLER!?

One thing that I got the impression of about this game from the GCCX episode and from messing around a tad with the PSX version is that it seems to rely a lot more on you coming to your own conclusions and piecing together evidence on your own than, say, an Ace Attorney or Danganronpa. Like, you just sorta have to follow your own hunches to make decisions (which are incorrect and lead to your own death a sizable portion of the time) rather than reach specific points in the game in which you have revelations about the case. Which I think is neat.

Hope the "release on Android devices to follow" isn't too far in the future, eager to have a full experience with this game.

GSR

Any impressions? Love Chunsoft as well as Aksys's localizations, but have no idea what this is about or how good the story/writing is.

I'll pick this up immediately when/if it hits Android, but is it.... good?

I can't speak for the translation, but the game seems fairly well-regarded. That aforementioned guy on Twitter studies Japanese detective fiction, and he had this to say:

It might sound boring having to wade through a load of endings in search of the true ending, but it's actually really fun. Bad endings are just as amusing as the good endings, so coming across a bad ending doesn't really feel bad: it's just another variation on the same basic story. And while you might know the basic story, the changes that lead up to the various endings do prevent the story from becoming boring. In fact, even the bad endings contain little clues to the real murderer, so bad endings really aren't that bad.

As a mystery game, Kamaitachi no Yoru is awesome and the plot penned Abiko Takemaru (including the variation endings) is pretty interesting, even if it's a bit standard. [...]The whole concept of mystery novel in such a form is really neat. Sound novels combine the ease of a written story with the interactivity found in games (as well as being more attractive audiovisually) in a very effective way IMHO.

(Removed a line that some might consider spoilery.)

Goli

One thing that I got the impression of about this game from the GCCX episode and from messing around a tad with the PSX version is that it seems to rely a lot more on you coming to your own conclusions and piecing together evidence on your own than, say, an Ace Attorney or Danganronpa. Like, you just sorta have to follow your own hunches to make decisions (which are incorrect and lead to your own death a sizable portion of the time) rather than reach specific points in the game in which you have revelations about the case. Which I think is neat.

Hope the "release on Android devices to follow" isn't too far in the future, eager to have a full experience with this game.
Yes, it does play like that. There's a part where you can choose to pinpoint who the killer is, I did that and it seems I was wrong and that eventually led me to my death, though it also helped to find out who isn't the killer, I think. In other games of this sort they spell it all out for you.
So what do people think of the localization so far? Seems like they Americanized all the names.
They did, I haven't played the Japanese version but it makes sense considering where the game takes place that they all have names like that.

Wild speculation:
Ruby the cat is in fact the killer, possessed by an evil spirit. lol

Yasumi

Banned
I'm kind of wishing I didn't follow my gut and figure out
the murderer on my first run. I just thought "who doesn't have an alibi, had the opportunity, and has the most ambiguous ties to other characters?" Once I entered the name, I figured out the rest as I went. I think I got the best ending too. ;_;

wrowa

Read an hour of it so far and it's really good already. The writing combined with the soundtrack conveys a great atmosphere.

Prophane33

Wow! I own the SFC and PSone version of this and have got every ending on both versions. I never expected to ever play this in English. Grabbing this NOW.

Does anyone know if the more...unusual paths are still included (i.e. the ones that were added for the PSone version)?

redhood56

Banned
I have no idea where this is going and I am loving it! The game really sets a scary tone too. Is there a graph/chart that shows how to get all the endings?

Goli

I'm kind of wishing I didn't follow my gut and figure out
the murderer on my first run. I just thought "who doesn't have an alibi, had the opportunity, and has the most ambiguous ties to other characters?" Once I entered the name, I figured out the rest as I went. I think I got the best ending too. ;_;

Are you talking about "A Gentle Sleep"? I just got that ending but I doubt that's the best one.

redhood56

Banned
I just got the
grace takes a fall
ending. It was kind of funny in a dark way,we'll time to give it another try!

Goli

I finally got the "true" ending, though I did get a lot of bad endings first,
I got the "My Own Company" one, "Grace takes a fall", "Done in by Grace", "A Gentle Sleep" and the one where the protagonist kills Grace with a mop.
Five bad endings! Apparently new scenarios are unlocked upon completion, which is really cool.

redhood56

Banned
I finally got the "true" ending, though I did get a lot of bad endings first,
I got the "My Own Company" one, "Grace takes a fall", "Done in by Grace", "A Gentle Sleep" and the one where the protagonist kills Grace with a mop.
Five bad endings! Apparently new scenarios are unlocked upon completion, which is really cool.
I just got my 3rd bad ending, can you put together a list on how to put me on the right track to the true end? I want to get a bunch of bad ends first though.

Prophane33

Really digging the updated soundtrack. Sounds pretty close to the arrange CD (not that the SFC soundtrack was terrible), but better in certain parts. Completely forgot that I had both soundtracks.

Edit: I miss the "shadow people" in the backgrounds though. Also, I don't really mind the localization stuff (e.g. turning the Osakan into a Texan, the OLs into Temp workers etc.) as much as I usually do, that just shows how good Aksys is.

Now can we get Otogirisu or Machi in English? I never did get all the endings in Machi.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Glad I saw this thread today. I've needed a new VN and this fits the bill perfectly it would seem!

Goli

I just got my 3rd bad ending, can you put together a list on how to put me on the right track to the true end? I want to get a bunch of bad ends first though.

When they talk about whether the killer was inside or not say the killer was already inside, then select the option that says something like "No, that's impossible", afterwards they talk some more and they ask how he could have gotten in, select the option that says something about the front, afterwards you have to name the killer, input "Mr. Jones", afterwards they ask how he could have broken the window, it was the snow, then there's a struggle, I'm not sure what the other options do but I chose the one that's something like "Don't worry about me and hit him!" or something like that, then charge against him when Grace and the others are holding him off.

Also, omg this scenario with Ms. Jones lol.

Top Bottom