• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee's Last Cry (Kamaitachi no Yoru) out now for 3.99 (Aksys/Spike Chunsoft, iOS)

dream

Oh man, this gets REALLY cool after "finishing" it for the first time and unlocking
a new game+esque mode.

Man, I'm almost tempted to try to trudge my way through the PSX one while I wait for the Android version to drop...

I'm probably better off waiting a bit longer for the version whose writing I can appreciate better, though. Really glad to hear these positive impressions.

I played this in Japanese a while ago. It's fun but the twist is so archetypical that playing it now, after playing tons of other visual novels made it seemed really cliched. Good game though.

One thing that never made sense to me was that
if you go down the path of the bad endings and more and more people start getting killed, who is doing the killing? From what I remember the killer wasn't a psychopath mass murderer but just wanted to kill the one guy and get away with it and it didn't seem like he would go on murdering everyone else so I was always confused about why bodies started dropping left and right under the bad endings. Actually thought that the bad endings were more fun than the good ending.

I played this in Japanese a while ago. It's fun but the twist is so archetypical that playing it now, after playing tons of other visual novels made it seemed really cliched. Good game though.

One thing that never made sense to me was that
if you go down the path of the bad endings and more and more people start getting killed, who is doing the killing? From what I remember the killer wasn't a psychopath mass murderer but just wanted to kill the one guy and get away with it and it didn't seem like he would go on murdering everyone else so I was always confused about why bodies started dropping left and right under the bad endings. Actually thought that the bad endings were more fun than the good ending.

I just sent you a PM with a spoilery question, if you wouldn't mind responding.

Goli

Just got the Ms. Jones ending (can't remember the name), A Banshee Reunion (So meta) and The Snow Maze, though that one hinted at something else?
I actually tried going to the other directions when the car breaks down but I could never find anything else after getting that ending, I'm guessing you have to follow a very specific path to get to the true version of the Snow Maze.

Okay just watched Space Dandy and now I see this. Please someone give me a reason not to buy this since I've been drinking because if you don't, I will buy this and play it on my bro's iPad which he left here.

Okay just watched Space Dandy and now I see this. Please someone give me a reason not to buy this since I've been drinking because if you don't, I will buy this and play it on my bro's iPad which he left here.

It sounds like you have all the reasons in the world to buy this right the fuck now.

Do it.
I don't know why Space Dandy sounded relevant to your post but I've also been drinking.

With the way this game is set up, it should be a no-brainer to get it on the eShop. It's already in the perfect format, and all you have to put in the description is "from the makers of 999 & Virtue's Last Reward!"

li bur

Woww, will give this game a try.
As for chunsoft, I hope there will be publisher that localized their other games. I really really want to try 428.

Erigu

Kinda sounds like they plan on bringing more sound novels over here. Really hope that's the case.
Probably not the other games in the series though, or they might regret their decision to turn the kamaitachi into a banshee... ^^;

I'll pick this up immediately when/if it hits Android, but is it.... good?
The original is a classic. There might be some changes in this version though, I'm not really sure. I believe the blue silhouettes are gone, for example, so there might be more.

So what do people think of the localization so far? Seems like they Americanized all the names.
Not a fan of changes like those, but eh...

Lusankya

Man, I wish the iOS version had a flow chart to easier navigate the story, Also I think I got the true ending, but I am not too sure, because there keeps on appearing new stuff. Is there some kind of FAQ/walkthrough of this title?

Prophane33

Probably not the other games in the series though, or they might regret their decision to turn the kamaitachi into a banshee... ^^;

The original is a classic. There might be some changes in this version though, I'm not really sure. I believe the blue silhouettes are gone, for example, so there might be more.

Not a fan of changes like those, but eh...

Darn, you're right. I really didn't mind the changes at first, but the 2nd game (never played the 3rd) is heavily rooted in Japan/Japanese folklore. Regardless, the localization (and I'm usually the last one to praise ANY US localization) is pretty good. Also, I guess if by some cosmic-miracle they did localize the 2nd one they could call it something like "Banshee's Last Cry 2: Night of the Kamaitachi" or something like that (or screw up the numbering and just call it "Night of the Kamaitachi".

I just googled this game and the PS2 version looks amazing, love the visuals! Is this version like this as well?

ps-vita-shin-04.png

Atolm

This will be my first purchaise for Android. Can't wait. I wonder if it will work on my Android tablet (it has an Intel x86 proc), otherwise smartphone all the way.

Erigu

I just googled this game and the PS2 version looks amazing, love the visuals!
That screenshot is actually from Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru, available on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.
Kamaitachi no Yoru 2 and Kamaitachi no Yoru x3 are both available on PlayStation 2 though. The latter looks a bit cheap overall (lots of recycling, clearly lower budget), but the former still looks pretty damn good for the genre.

KaiPow

Banned
Well, I've now played through four times and still haven't gotten what I'd consider a good ending. At least I've made it to where
i could name the killer
. So far it's quite enjoyable even after being spoiled by how good VLR was.

And I only just now figured out that touching the screen with both buttons brings up a chapter select.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Oh man, I just got the
Triumph of the Ruminants
ending.
That was pretty funny. "Look I did i-" "We're not talking to you, fishmonger!": "..."

zeopower6

Also, in one of the alter scenarios
There's a bit where it's a Rogue Like Hotel or something, and you're given three choices of treasure. The first one is colored Gold and cannot be selected. Anyone know what's up with this one?

It's possible that option is one that you need to get all of the endings for?

I wonder if we'll get a chart at some point, lol. I would have loved a flow chart in-game... or even just a list of unlocked endings. I think I got about 10-ish last night.

zeopower6

I'll get this for Android I guess. Too bad there isn't any word of a PSM or eShop release.

The iOS/Android platforms were announced ages ago...

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/2...-of-the-kamatachi-is-finally-being-localized/

I wonder why it took them so long to get this out :/

Don't click any of the following links if you want to avoid spoilers or anything! (though unless you know Japanese, it's probably not that dangerous)

If anyone wanted a 'guide' there's a capture guide with images/answers (I think the chapters/choice option placement is still the same) for the Japanese iOS/Android versions.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/kikizombiez/archives/35130084.html

The same blog has a list of endings.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/kikizombiez/archives/35130030.html

There appear to be 43 in this version.

Erigu

So they didn't just Americanize names, but they also switched monsters in the title?
Well, it's the same idea, really. You can't quite keep "local kamaitachi legends" when your characters are named "Jones", "Bobby" and "Grace"...
(Unless they all decided to go skiing in Japan, I guess, but hrrrrm...)

zeopower6

From what I read, they really localized all locations (inn is in British Columbia, characters are from Texas or seem like they are from Beverly Hills) and names. I wouldn't expect them to keep Kamaitachi, but it sounds like that will cause them issues if they try to localize the sequels with the 'Banshee' name. Though I guess they could say it's an alternate story or w/e that actually takes place in Japan to make things work.

A 'banshee's cry' is probably what fit the best for Western audiences since they seem to be targeting people who may not care at all for Japanese culture. I mean what other creature could have worked?

Keep in mind that they were aiming for people in the West who normally read eBooks, not people who are interested in Japanese novels/games.

Erigu

Keep in mind that they were aiming for people in the West who normally read eBooks, not people who are interested in Japanese novels/games.
Still find it a bit sad that the mere mention of a creature from Japanese folklore (or Japanese character names) could be considered a turn-off for anybody.
(the references and jokes regarding Ôsaka would admittedly be lost on most people though)

Yasumi

Banned
Reading through some of the other routes. MAN, things get intense. Really enjoying piecing the whole story together.

Given that this is an Aksys/Spike Chunsoft game, maybe I shouldn't be surprised that there's a horrible save bug. Specifically, the game crashes every time I attempt to manually save. iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4, for reference.

zeopower6

Still find it a bit sad that the mere mention of a creature from Japanese folklore (or Japanese character names) could be considered a turn-off for anybody.
(the references and jokes regarding Ôsaka would admittedly be lost on most people though)

Well, with the way that they've done things (in the main scenario at least), you can't really tell that this came from Japan.

Most of the bonus scenarios though have a weird Japanese flavor to them, lol.

Given that this is an Aksys/Spike Chunsoft game, maybe I shouldn't be surprised that there's a horrible save bug. Specifically, the game crashes every time I attempt to manually save. iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4, for reference.

I've had a lot of random crashes too. Sometimes when selecting certain options, sometimes when trying to manually save. Mine is 'new' iPad from the 3rd gen on the latest OS.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I'll grab it when it comes to android then proceed to not play it. My aversion to do anything on my phone except call anyone is strong, so is there a way to stream my phone's screen to my PC?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
EDIT: I discovered that I was in face, incorrect about an ending being locked out. Please kindly ignore my previous post.

Erigu

I think whether it's intentional or not, getting a true ending or good ending can potentially lock out one ending at least, as the new choices added change the patterns. I'll do some digging and see if there are other scenarios I find that I didn't before.
Barring the possibility of an actual bug, if it's like the original (and based on what I've seen, it seems pretty damn close: same endings, for one thing), you can't lock yourself out of anything.
And I really don't know about recommending people to check the answer before even starting the game! ^^;

zeopower6

The true ending path locks away most, if not all of the other bad ending options. Basically, you're locked into one of two endings once you go down that path.

Though it's pretty easy to avoid the true end path. :p The NG+ options are all pretty hilarious though. Is that what Zel means? Because after you clear the game and 'restart', I don't recall the story being normal in the NG+-esque mode.

Erigu

The true ending path locks away most, if not all of the other bad ending options. Basically, you're locked into one of two endings once you go down that path.
Once you're on that path, sure. You really shouldn't have to erase your save file to once again be able to reach some endings though.

zeopower6

Once you're on that path, sure. You really shouldn't have to erase your save file to once again be able to reach some endings though.

If you go back with the double-finger-tap, I guess you could probably get back to those other endings... did you try that, Zel?

Anyway, I'm using my post-true-end file, avoided any new options and didn't attempt to solve the mystery properly. It seems like I'm on the path of bad endings. Just where was this ending that you were locked out of, chapter-wise?

Top Bottom