• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee's Last Cry (Kamaitachi no Yoru) out now for 3.99 (Aksys/Spike Chunsoft, iOS)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Barring the possibility of an actual bug, if it's like the original (and based on what I've seen, it seems pretty damn close: same endings, for one thing), you can't lock yourself out of anything.
And I really don't know about recommending people to check the answer before even starting the game! ^^;

The true ending path locks away most, if not all of the other bad ending options. Basically, you're locked into one of two endings once you go down that path.

Though it's pretty easy to avoid the true end path. :p The NG+ options are all pretty hilarious though. Is that what Zel means? Because after you clear the game and 'restart', I don't recall the story being normal in the NG+-esque mode.

This is what I mean. Let me explain.

There was a bad ending
"Grace killed by mop" or something like that
I got the first time around, along with a few others before getting the (big spoiler) ->
"Bobby's Suicide"
ending, which changed the routes. I was having trouble going back to get toward the right route to get the True ending, so I restarted (this automatically erases the save) and got the True ending. Once I did that I went through all of the other scenarios to try and get every last possible ending in case that unlocked anything, but for whatever reason I couldn't get that one bad ending again. So I erased and started over once again, trying to remember the path I took to get to that bad ending, and low and behold I did it on my first try.

Erigu

I restarted (this automatically erases the save) and got the True ending. Once I did that I went through all of the other scenarios to try and get every last possible ending in case that unlocked anything, but for whatever reason I couldn't get that one bad ending again. So I erased and started over once again, trying to remember the path I took to get to that bad ending, and low and behold I did it on my first try.
Like I said, if it's like the original (and its many ports), you really shouldn't have to erase your save file to reach a particular ending.
I see three possibilities: 1) it's a stupid change that's exclusive to this particular version (which seems somewhat doubtful), 2) it's a bug, or 3) you overlooked something.

PsionBolt

I'm getting a feeling so complicated!

We're talking about Kamaitachi no Yoru, here. One of the most famous visual novels. An inspiration for Zero Escape. Described as a VN without flags. One of the mysteries that shaped how I look at mystery. This thing is a big deal! I want it!

...Or do I? reading this thread, I'm not so sure. First of all, iOS does not make me happy. But more importantly, the localization - I'm becoming worried that this is not the story I know. Even the visuals are completely different. And now I'm hearing about paths locking and unlocking? What? Augh. EDIT - okay, that's one worry down. But many remain.

zeopower6

I followed the guide to get to the mop ending you talked about, and it seems like that ending is very easy to miss since just one choice from the "A Scream from _____" section can put you on a different path. Also doing it with a true end file.

Here's the method to get to that mop ending.
Start from A Scream from (Female Name)
A. I decided I needed to...
A. First, I thought, I have to...
A. I'm not going to act scared...
B. I swallowed heavily...
A. After carefully unlocking...
A. I made up my mind and decided...
B. Mr. Buchanan... Now that I...
B. I need to make sure that...
B. Mari (at this point, you can also name a different 'killer' and get the 'In (Female Name)'s Room...' ending. I just put Bobby when it asked me)

RurouniZel

Like I said, if it's like the original (and its many ports), you really shouldn't have to erase your save file to reach a particular ending.
I see three possibilities: 1) it's a stupid change that's exclusive to this particular version (which seems somewhat doubtful), 2) it's a bug, or 3) you overlooked something.

I followed the guide to get to the mop ending you talked about, and it seems like that ending is very easy to miss since just one choice from the "Scream from _____" section can put you on a different path.

I just tried it and it appears your right. I was able to get there again, I must just be stupid.

I'm getting a feeling so complicated!

We're talking about Kamaitachi no Yoru, here. One of the most famous visual novels. An inspiration for Zero Escape. Described as a VN without flags. One of the mysteries that shaped how I look at mystery. This thing is a big deal! I want it!

...Or do I? reading this thread, I'm not so sure. First of all, iOS does not make me happy. But more importantly, the localization - I'm becoming worried that this is not the story I know. Even the visuals are completely different. And now I'm hearing about paths locking and unlocking? What? Augh.

I'm incorrect. I just tried it one more time and found I could get to it. I apologize for my incorrect information and will edit my original post accordingly.

zeopower6

I'd like if they could bring over the Vita one digitally... :x But I guess the PS3 version of that game would probably be more likely than a Vita one.

Erigu

I played the original on the PS1 and it was great.
That version had a couple of exclusive scenarios, too. And a convenient flowchart (although some think it actually was a bit too convenient).

EDIT: One of those two scenarios isn't so exclusive after all, it seems: Android version (it has the original blue silhouettes and the A Novel scenario, too!).

I'd like if they could bring over the Vita one digitally... :x But I guess the PS3 version of that game would probably be more likely than a Vita one.
Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru isn't all that good, unfortunately... Get Abiko to write the main scenario, Chunsoft!

Erigu

I think you have to get absolutely every ending possible (at that time) before you can choose that option.
Weird that it appears anyway though.
RurouniZel, if it's like the original (and it probably is), what you're missing should be a particular ending in
the treasure hunt scenario
. You will have to think outside of the box though.

dream

Just when I thought I exhausted every possibility, I somehow found a path that turns the story into
a spy thriller.

RurouniZel

Weird that it appears anyway though.
RurouniZel, if it's like the original (and it probably is), what you're missing should be a particular ending in
the treasure hunt scenario
. You will have to think outside of the box though.

Okay, I will try that again then. Thanks. :)

EDIT: Found it. Cheeky fucks! XD

So I finished the "free trial" part of the game. It's definitely got me hooked. I love the feeling of suspense in this one, something I found lacking in VLR. Gonna buy it and power through. Something tells me this game will encompass my whole week.

Yirba

I think £2.49 is extremely good value for a classic visual novel such as this, especially one with so many endings and that has a high-quality translation. I've wanted to play this game for several years now, so I'm ecstatic that I'm finally able to. I love how there's so much more content to experience even after you've figured out who the culprit is. The main part of the game is a lot of fun in itself, of course. Not as scary as I thought it would be, but the story is good and I do like a nice mystery. The creepy atmosphere reminds me a little bit of A Scar of the Doll, though without the slightly ridiculous story.

Bluestone

Neo Member
I think £2.49 is extremely good value for a classic visual novel such as this, especially one with so many endings and that has a high-quality translation. I've wanted to play this game for several years now, so I'm ecstatic that I'm finally able to. I love how there's so much more content to experience even after you've figured out who the culprit is. The main part of the game is a lot of fun in itself, of course. Not as scary as I thought it would be, but the story is good and I do like a nice mystery. The creepy atmosphere reminds me a little bit of A Scar of the Doll, though without the slightly ridiculous story.

Yirba, Blaustein here. Thanks for the addition to the Wiki page. I am so glad you like the writing, I worked hard on it. Maybe you can add me to the Banshee Wiki page as well ;)

wrowa

How do I open the menu in-game? I've opened it several times on accident, but I can't figure out how to access it on purpose. It's driving me crazy.

The creepy atmosphere reminds me a little bit of A Scar of the Doll, though without the slightly ridiculous story.
To be honest, it kind of bugs me to see Banshee's Last Cry compared to the A Scar of the Doll. Mainly because ASotD's localization was absolutely horrible, while Banshee is really nicely written.

LiK

Got the best ending last night. Man, this was really well localized. Unlocked a new story which was unexpected.

How do I open the menu in-game? I've opened it several times on accident, but I can't figure out how to access it on purpose. It's driving me crazy.

Tap screen with two fingers.

Erigu

Curses! No Android? I'm tempted to go Apple with my next phone more and more each day.
There's an Android version in Japan, but it looks pretty different (original graphics, a couple extra scenarios), so I don't know if you can expect that one to get an English language release as well...

Wow., I had missed that. Amazing news. I'd been wondering for some time why all these classic sound novels didn't get mobile ports. I guess they did.

Props for the localization!

zeopower6

Yirba, Blaustein here. Thanks for the addition to the Wiki page. I am so glad you like the writing, I worked hard on it. Maybe you can add me to the Banshee Wiki page as well ;)

Thanks for your work on this game! :D

Ugh, I think I'm stuck trying to find this one set of endings.... I'm not entirely sure which path I need to go down. It's the one with a sneaky message stuck in there by Chunsoft.

After getting my first bad ending (not counting the business one lol), I'm really of two minds about a flowchart.

I see how a flowchart could somehow impede on the original game design by streamlining it a tad too much but on the other hand, the number of endings seems a bit overwhelming and an integrated chart would definitely help.

Anyway, really loving it on my iPad so far (minus the manual saving crashing the app).

The Android version looks more definitive so I might actually get it for my work phone whenever it releases.

Here's to hoping we eventually get a mobile version of 428 translated (too bad Machi never got a mobile ver).

Goli

You know, in my time with the game I never did a manual save ever. Maybe I'm too used to apps/games auto saving in case a call or something happens that I didn't even think of doing a manual save, I assumed it would save by itself (which it did).

wrowa

What's supposed to be different in the Android version? The Japanese version on the Play Store looks exactly the same to me.

You know, in my time with the game I never did a manual save ever. Maybe I'm too used to apps/games auto saving in case a call or something happens that I didn't even think of doing a manual save, I assumed it would save by itself (which it did).
To be fair, I didn't feel like I was missing anything. As you said, the autosave amply makes up for that. It's just a bit unsettling to try a basic feature and have it crash the app but far from game breaking considering how the game flows.

What's supposed to be different in the Android version? The Japanese version on the Play Store looks exactly the same to me.
More routes and the original blue character outlines on the scenes from what I can see.

Yirba

To be honest, it kind of bugs me to see Banshee's Last Cry compared to the A Scar of the Doll. Mainly because ASotD's localization was absolutely horrible, while Banshee is really nicely written.
I know what you mean… I really can't compare the two in terms of quality. I just found that they managed to evoke similar feelings.

I'm kinda surprised this release hasn't made a bigger splash, considering how famous the game is. It's certainly influential — the title is one you see time and time again in interviews with visual novel creators when asked what inspired them. I suppose the concept would seem quite foreign to 'mainstream gamers' in the West, though.

There's an Android version in Japan, but it looks pretty different (original graphics, a couple extra scenarios), so I don't know if you can expect that one to get an English language release as well...
As other people have mentioned, there will be an English Android release. However, there are in fact two Android versions available in Japanese: one that was released in 2011, and another released in 2013 (which is essentially the same as the iOS version). I suspect you were looking at the 2011 version, whereas the English Android version will very likely be based on the 2013 release.

Ugh, I think I'm stuck trying to find this one set of endings.... I'm not entirely sure which path I need to go down. It's the one with a sneaky message stuck in there by Chunsoft.
I believe you may be referring to this ending (spoilers in link)? There are some instructions in Japanese on that page, though I don't know how useful they would be to you…

RurouniZel

Thanks for your work on this game! :D

When you get to the part before where you discover the first body, Mr. Jones, select the 2nd option of "Go around Mr. Forrester"

PKrockin

One of the members of the Never7 translation team posted that "Nakazawa and Uchikoshi have cited this game as a major influence on their works (particularly Uchikoshi)."

Nakazawa having cowritten the Infinity series with Uchikoshi, and Uchikoshi also being responsible for 999 and VLR.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.spikechunsoft.ssn.kama.ja

I don't think this version is any different from the iOS version. And I can't imagine that Aksys would go the extra mile to localize a second, different version of the game.

But we'll see. And maybe Bluestone is able to clarify the situation? :p
Yeah, I was wrong, I hadn't noticed the game had two versions on Android: an older one that looks like a (semi) Playstation port in landscape mode and a newer "Smart" one that's apparently the same as the version iOS got. Pretty sure the latter is the one getting released.

I got my first good ending on a hunch
typing in the correct (?) killer's name
and now with the new choices I just got a funny surreal ending called
Banshee Reunion

I expect the game to go deeper obviously.

zeopower6

I believe you may be referring to this ending (spoilers in link)? There are some instructions in Japanese on that page, though I don't know how useful they would be to you…

Yeah, I've been trying to follow that since it's helped me with all the other endings, but I really have no idea where 鳩の鳴く夜 is in the storyline.

Well, I'll try to get there with Zel's suggestion~

EDIT: Got it! I think this is the last set of endings I've yet to see...

I can open that other box now! What exactly was the requirement to choose that option before, anyway? Just seeing all of the endings?

Bluestone

Neo Member

Yirba

It's worth noting that the background images used would be different anyway, since the Japanese iOS and Android releases use photos taken from a ski lodge in Japan, whereas the English iOS release uses photos taken from a ski lodge in Canada, so I presume the English Android version will use the same photos as the English iOS version.

It may seem like a minor thing, but I like how they went the extra mile to do that.

redhood56

Banned
One of the members of the Never7 translation team posted that "Nakazawa and Uchikoshi have cited this game as a major influence on their works (particularly Uchikoshi)."

Nakazawa having cowritten the Infinity series with Uchikoshi, and Uchikoshi also being responsible for 999 and VLR.
Uchikoshi also said it was a big influence during his GDC presentation.

Erigu

As other people have mentioned, there will be an English Android release. However, there are in fact two Android versions available in Japanese: one that was released in 2011, and another released in 2013 (which is essentially the same as the iOS version). I suspect you were looking at the 2011 version, whereas the English Android version will very likely be based on the 2013 release.
I was thinking of this one (which actually seems to have been released in 2012?).

luokyl

I need some pointers...

So I've gotten the
Grace kills you and You kill Grace
endings but I can't seem to get anything else, and I feel like I've exhausted my branch points.

Can someone point me in the right direction (without spoiling)?

Top Bottom