• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Return to Arkham announced (AA AC Demaster), UE4, Virtuos (of FFX fame)

thatJohann

This looks way worse than the original. The hair looks much more artificial and there is no reflection on the glasses....lighting looks worse too. This is making me a bit nervous. I really hope Im wrong but this kinda looks like some quick and dirty job.

Remaster
batman-arkham-remastered-comp5-2.jpg

Original
batman-arkham-remastered-comp5-1.jpg

It almost looks like a generation behind. Super downgrade. Those eyebrows look so bad. No reflection on glasses. Lighting looks pared down. Just looks worse. :(

Can you post an example of this, so I can see what you mean?

I don't have UE4 installed but just look at the strange comparison, the remaster is just poor and strange's jacket seems to have a limit as to how dark it can get, making it look like it was washed with a strong bio washing powder then stood under a UV lightbulb.

I cannot believe how much of a huge downgrade this is. And 'downgrade' is not an exaggeration. On a technical level, these games of been downgraded (mostly lighting and textures).

I'm not touching these with a 20 foot pole.

jett

D-Member
Nobody in this forum cared enough to post this official comparison video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEXmZUtzacU

Summary: superficial differences here and there. Sometimes it looks better, sometimes kind of the same, sometimes actually worse. I don't even get the creation of this video, someone at WB must think the remaster is a huge difference.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I cannot believe how much of a huge downgrade this is. And 'downgrade' is not an exaggeration. On a technical level, these games of been downgraded (mostly lighting and textures).

I'm not touching these with a 20 foot pole.

Go back and play the originals, and then say that. Specifically on console, where this is aimed...textures, lighting and IQ are all shit...perfomance is functional but not spectacular.

That "light" in the back of the shot of the doctor? Just a flat 2D light map superimposed onto the fixture with no mass or reaction at all from the player

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Summary: superficial differences here and there. Sometimes it looks better, sometimes kind of the same, sometimes actually worse. I don't even get the creation of this video, someone at WB must think the remaster is a huge difference.

Batman Arkham Videos is not an official WB channel. That video is not official.

Some of them look real bad, like the black hair on characters like Bruce, Ra's , Penguin, Hugo Strange. Hair textures look better on Penguin's jacket but thats about all
Catwoman looked better in AC then the remaster
Harley, Mr Freeze, Grundy and Harvey look like they could be better character models now
Scenery and backgrounds look better, but they have fucked up black hair its too dark, and looks unnatural.
the Glow effect markings on Ra's look over exposed, Scarecrows mask looks plastic now not the leather it did in AA.

There are color issues that could be just because of lighting and hopefully can be fixed before release.

I hope they can fix some of the issues. I was looking forward to this. ill wait for DF or NXG to do another comparison and see if this was making it look worse then it is.

poodaddy

I checked out the video and I honestly do think the remaster looks better about 80% of the time. The cleaned up IQ and additional effects really compliment the games in my opinion, and Cat woman and Robin look much better to me. Hugo and Joker look worse to my eyes but everything else looks better, though I have a feeling the motion blur will probably be excessive as is the norm for most console games nowadays. I like the new color scheme though it does seem to make the image a bit oversaturated looking and a bit less realistic than the original's more gritty, darker tones. I'm also a bit bummed that the games won't be 60 fps by the looks of that video, but then these types of games don't necessitate that frame rate I suppose, though it would of been nice. Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic.

xRaizen

I checked out the video and I honestly do think the remaster looks better about 80% of the time. The cleaned up IQ and additional effects really compliment the games in my opinion, and Cat woman and Robin look much better to me. Hugo and Joker look worse to my eyes but everything else looks better, though I have a feeling the motion blur will probably be excessive as is the norm for most console games nowadays. I like the new color scheme though it does seem to make the image a bit oversaturated looking and a bit less realistic than the original's more gritty, darker tones. I'm also a bit bummed that the games won't be 60 fps by the looks of that video, but then these types of games don't necessitate that frame rate I suppose, though it would of been nice. Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic.
The remaster's black are too dark. Like waaaay too dark. Can't even see two-face. I'd hate to see the Xbox One version with the crushed blacks..

jett

D-Member
Batman Arkham Videos is not an official WB channel. That video is not official.

I stand corrected.

AK definitely plays the best, I think that's beyond argument to be honest. Personally, I liked the story the best by far as well.

I really had two problem with AK:

1.- They went overboard with the use of the Batmobile. There isn't a single goddamn well-made boss fight in the game, in a franchise known for its bosses. The Batmobile pretty much took over this aspect of the game, which was an absolutely awful thing to do.

2.- I played on PC. The PC port was never not garbage for me.

JTripper

WXAwKqA.jpg

Joker looks way too clean now. Honestly I might prefer to play it on the 360.

Looks like they threw his clothes in the laundry for the remaster. Playing Batman with his '66 costume might actually make sense now!

Idk if I can deal with doing all the predator challenges again in AC for the trophies. Catwoman was easily the worst dlc character to play as and her challenges were stupid difficult to 100%. Harley's Revenge was also pretty disappointing although I always love playing as Robin. Definitely my favorite dlc character in the whole series.

Timu

The remaster's black are too dark. Like waaaay too dark. Can't even see two-face. I'd hate to see the Xbox One version with the crushed blacks..
If it's 1080p(which I don't see how it can't be) then it wouldn't have crushed blacks.

KingBroly

Banned
Looks like they threw his clothes in the laundry for the remaster. Playing Batman with his '66 costume might actually make sense now!

The lighting has gotten destroyed in these Remastered versions. It really hurts the atmosphere when so many details are gone because of it.

How in the world does this look so bad, the entire feel/atmosphere of the originals are gone. The only thing preventing it from entering Silent Hill HD trash tier is if it is also a bugfest, which we most likely won't know til release.

Good lord, that comparison video. Nearly every single original shot looks magnitudes better than the "remaster."

Look at Harley's tattoo in that close-up. In the original, it's slightly faded so that it looks like it's part of her skin. In the remaster, it looks like a sticker.

Doubt they can turn this one around, or that they'll even bother. Definite pass.

I stand corrected.

AK definitely plays the best, I think that's beyond argument to be honest. Personally, I liked the story the best by far as well.

I really had two problem with AK:

1.- They went overboard with the use of the Batmobile. There isn't a single goddamn well-made boss fight in the game, in a franchise known for its bosses. The Batmobile pretty much took over this aspect of the game, which was an absolutely awful thing to do.

2.- I played on PC. The PC port was never not garbage for me.

Yea, I didn't have problem with the Batmobile but the lack of boss fights was the games biggest failing. Especially with how it played, a couple of really creative bosses could've easily cemented it as the best in the series minds of many (it's the best for me regardless).

PC version though... I regret buying a code for that. Still stuck in my Steam library somewhere.

Davide

v0yytP8.jpg

Detail on the suit is very different now.

97L7hVw.png

Yes, that's remastered on the left. The hair/head on the left looks like a full generation downgrade. Also, Penguin's hand.

EDIT: Wow, weird coincidence with the above post....

Blueblur1

I came into this thread earlier and I thought the remaster looked awesome... But I just realized I had the original and remaster screenshots confused for the other. Those new graphics are unacceptable.

Davide

Another note on the Penguin comparison above, the buttons simply have less polygons now. Seriously don't know how this remaster looks so bad.

utiUBqb.png
ekCHFr9.png

Yes, remastered on the left.

ElRenoRaven

wow. Seeing all these shots and it's just sad to see how awful a job they're doing. If they're going to downgrade it this badly just do a basic port.

What are these people doing to these games? How could anyone honestly look at the comparisons and think the remaster looks better or even of the same quality? These developers should be ashamed, if anything having it look as good as the original should be a minimum but to actually make it look worse is just insane.

Well, uh, hmm, I...

I mean, at least it's not quite Silent Hill HD Collection shocking, but boy WB sure is trying it's damnedest to reach that standard.

Davide

A few more:

0hEYL3i.jpg

New tattoo much less faded into the skin, collar texture looks terribly lo-res now.

TMxKck7.jpg

Why are his eyes so unnaturally bright? Weird wrinkles on the nose as well.

Ahcrvnp.jpg

Door downgrade. Floor looks cleaner and more flatly lit.

Top Bottom