• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Return to Arkham announced (AA AC Demaster), UE4, Virtuos (of FFX fame)

BouncyFrag

Here is a fun Breaking Bad/Arkham Origins scene mashup. Bats holds his own here in the comparison.
*BB spoiler warning*
https://youtube.com/watch?v=h2YZIdPiH7w
While I am bummed about there not being an AO remaster, I replayed it after finishing Arkham Knight and it held up just fine. I LOL when tiny Batman runs into those massive cars on the bridge.

Genio88

No PC version? Shame, I played all the serie and I usually don't like to replay a game, though it's been a while since Arkham Asylum, which to me remains the best of this serie, could bite on Xbox One since will be released this summer when nothing else, except for my backlog, should be available

No PC version? Shame, I played all the serie and I usually don't like to replay a game, though it's been a while since Arkham Asylum, which to me remains the best of this serie, could bite on Xbox One since will be released this summer when nothing else, except for my backlog, should be available

Why would you want a PC version when the old games look better than those screens comparison?

I don't have Arkham Asylum installed but here is Hugo Strange from the beginning of Arkham City running on PC :
hugostrangecgzsc.jpg

How come Origins got such a relatively poor critical reception but now it's beloved?
The story was good enough to distract some people from the regression in gameplay and polish, I guess.
Also, some people REALLY hate Rocksteady's character design so that alone was a massive step up to them.

The story was good enough to distract some people from the regression in gameplay and polish, I guess.
Also, some people REALLY hate Rocksteady's character design so that alone was a massive step up to them.

I thought they pushed the gameplay forward personally. Combat was significantly better and didn't just let you spam counter like mainline.

Side missions were much better too.

Yup. That and the boss battles. But to say Origins is a better overall package and game than Asylum or City is ludicrous. For me, I can just spend two minutes playing Origins and it immediately becomes clear it's not a better game than the others. All the elements just don't mesh together nearly as well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
How come Origins got such a relatively poor critical reception but now it's beloved?
I am one of the people who, in hindsight, holds Arkham Origins in high regard in that it had many of the highest highs of the entire Arkham series.

For me the moments in the game such as GCPD, Penguins ship, and most importantly the Royal Hotel were so well done that it's easy to overlook some of the flaws, in the combat and the bugs. The boss fights were also unique and enjoyable.

However, the combat flaws can't be overstated, they made the enemies much faster and were able to cover a lot more ground and it felt like you lost combos due to cheap hits. It was also frustrating how many of the moves were locked behind sidequests and you couldn't get some of the fan favorites until much later in the game such as critical strikes and disarm and destroy.

However, the combat quirks I still believe to this day are bugs and were not intended. The reason I think this is that when you do the combat challenges the combat feels very bit as fluid and natural as it did in Arkham City.

Card Boy

Banned

It's an amazing game and I preferred it over City. I think the critism people have are it came out so soon after City, it reused alot of the map, poor Season pass content, and had a tacked on multi-player mode that was a mess.

I loved the game also Cold Cold Heart is one of the best DLCs in any game I have played and the only redeeming content from the Season pass.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Original assets are being changed, created from scratch and/or omitted. The comparison is apt. Who knows what's going on with the sound at this point.

that has nothing to do with the quality of the ports, stop being disingenuous.

More screenshots

Original
ZHh3KeZ.jpg

Remaster
e1BBJCF.jpg

Original
YUyBkA7.jpg

Remaster
0pyS5gA.jpg

Original
0doePBo.jpg

Remaster
APqnCKE.jpg

Original
dX1lsai.jpg

Remaster
8ufMr7w.jpg

Original
RaTZoMz.jpg

Remaster
pdsdv70.jpg

I'm seeing the improvement, maybe some of the others are just bad grabs?

Those look much better to me compared to the originals. Seems like a series of pros and cons IMO, not enough to cause such controversy in this thread

ElRenoRaven

I'm totally in. Can't wait to wipe the taste of that piece of shit Arkham Knight out of my mouth by playing the 2 best Batman games ever.

Shredderi

Arkham Knight is one of the best looking games graphically I've ever seen. I almost want to play it for visuals alone so why did that one have to be a dud god dammit!

amdb00mer

I don't understand all the Origin's hate. I think it had some of the better DLC. I know it did not have Conroy or Hamill, but it was still good.

Arkham Knight is one of the best looking games graphically I've ever seen. I almost want to play it for visuals alone so why did that one have to be a dud god dammit!

I don't think it was a dud. I think it's as good as City, if not better. Asylum will always remain my favorite though.

Apdiddy

I'll probably pick up the Return to Arkham remasters.

Hopefully, they'll fix the combat/targeting system on the combat challenges on Asylum while working towards a Platinum. I broke a controller over that shit.

quesalupa

What's up with that black crush yo. Going to be a can't see shit captain show on Xbox One lol.
Yeah was going to say the same thing. It looks like they just threw a crushed black filter on the games and then removed all the stylization.

The lighting on characters looks poor compared to the originals, not just the strange screenshot but everyone else too, it's like they are using stock light objects in unreal engine without much care.

MilkyJoe

The lighting on characters looks poor compared to the originals, not just the strange screenshot but everyone else too, it's like they are using stock light objects in unreal engine without much care.

Can you post an example of this, so I can see what you mean?

Why is the lighting so bad in the remaster? It's actually something I noticed just looking at the pictures, and I typically am fairly forgiving of some of this graphical stuff.

It seems like that Virtuos is re-rendering the prerendered cutscenes in real time. That would explain the joker model in one of the comparison shots. Joker doesn't look like that model in normal gameplay. It seems that Virtuos is using real time models for cinematics. Of course, we will have to wait until the game is out to verify.

EpicBox

The lack of a PC version is annoying me, because the improved visuals will come at the loss of the ability to play in 3D. Yes, that's a big deal to me.

And yes, I do often re-purchase games I already own to get a superior version. I always want the best possible versions of entertainment, particularly stuff I will rewatch/replay multiple times.

EDIT: Is there any talk of the 3D support being carried over from last gen? Asylum had red/cyan anaglyph in the GOTY edition, and City had 3DTV support (which wasn't particularly good compared to the fully tweakable 3D you can access on PC).

Garlador

EDIT: Is there any talk of the 3D support being carried over from last gen? Asylum had red/cyan anaglyph in the GOTY edition, and City had 3DTV support (which wasn't particularly good compared to the fully tweakable 3D you can access on PC).
Haven't heard anything. I'd be surprised if that feature made it over.

Wouldn't mind if it did, but I won't get my hopes up.

Jeffrey

Something else worth noting about Arkham Origins. It's one of the better implementations of Physx on pc imo. The snow effects and the shock glove stuff looked real great. Having some of that on consoles could be cool. The game still holds up pretty nicely visually when i replayed it before AK came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0GnVSyYDjQ

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

I think WB might just pull back on PC games. They can't get it right.

I'm curious to see if their next big release (Mordor 2?) gets a PC version.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Origins was not great. Combat was dumbed down with electro gloves nullifying all tactical concerns, signposting in the world was abysmal, traversal was less fun, bonus content was dull as dishwater, story areas never re-populated making every interior a one-and-done thing, and it was buggy as hell.

AC was better in every single aspect as far as I'm concerned.

Ridley327

ESRB rated each game separately, I guess one could purchase either game?
I believe it's SOP to rate each game individually in a collection. That's why something like The Orange Box is T-M, despite Portal being the only game in there with a T-rating.

MilkyJoe

The green aura around the Asylum hub was really important, thematically speaking. It had that whole Hitchcock Vertigo thing going on.

Yes, I agree, I am hoping there is a setting to put it back... there won't be. Maybe change the RGB settings on one of my HDMI ports...

Never played any of the Batman games, what should I expect exacty?

Asylum was a revolution in game design... when it first released in 2008. Going back and playing it now feels like playing Uncharted 1 or Half-Life 1 today: Fun enough game, but you just can't understand the hype. Still a good Zelda-like adventure game with neat combat and stealth.

City was a massive expansion on the original in terms of its gameplay - ironically enough, the open world wasn't even close to being the most interesting new feature, considering it was just a bigger version of the "hub world" of AA's outdoor areas. Stealth is made less obtuse and allows you to do a takedown from pretty much any position as opposed to specific ones you have to memorize. Combat is made more complicated, though, and benefits as a result, giving you actual variety per fight. I still kind of can't believe they made it in only two years.

I think what's really interesting is the tone as the series went on? AA was like a love letter to the 90's animated series but with slightly more adult jokes and subject material. AC is really oppressive, literally and figuratively, and gets pretty dour towards the end. Knight is straight-up No Man's Land-style, everything-is-fucked despair where they literally tell you in the first three minutes that Batman isn't going to survive the night.

Also, sorry nerds - Knight was the best game in the franchise.

Objectively wrong.

Yeah, seriously - that bug with the concussion detonator just randomly deciding to break your combo is still in the game, right? And the fact that Shock Gloves were a lazy-ass "I win now!" button?

ffvorax

Some things looks better in the orignal, some in the remaster.

For example in some case I love the new lights improved, but I also prefer the colors from the originals...

Overall it looks better for me.

Not going to buy it anyway, already feel satisfied to have played the originals.

Top Bottom