• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Return to Arkham announced (AA AC Demaster), UE4, Virtuos (of FFX fame)

I never play through the Batman games a second time. There's no point.
Unless they are selling this for $20, I can't imagine that this will do very well.

rhandino

Banned
It's on not made by Rocksteady and this collection is clearly about the present day Arkham games.
This reminds of the people that justified that the Borderlands Collection did not include Borderlands 1 because it was a "Handsome Collection" instead of the other factors like the game being difficult to port along 2 and the Pre-Sequel LMFAO

icespide

Banned
This reminds of the people that justified that the Borderlands Collection did not include Borderlands 1 because it was a "Handsome Collection" instead of the other factors like the game being difficult to port along 2 and the Pre-Sequel LMFAO

I mean that sounds like a reasonable explanation to me LMFAO

Boke1879

I don't see what's funny or what's not justified. I mean I can easily complain about Golden Abyss not being included in the ND collection.

It's just not included and I doubt many people are scratching for it's inclusion. It's a game I'd like to play because I never did, but it won't hold me back from buying 2 of the best Batman games I've ever played.

Kinyou

In engine = Prerendered

You can tell on 360 which videos were prerendered cause of the compression and macroblocking, and for AA, that was almost all of them. City as well had a lot, although i don't know to what degreet.
I remember pretty much every larger Cutscene being prerendered. I imagine they're real time now.
Took another comparison pic on PC, this time of the realtime Hugo Strange scene.
OK, this looks bad :/
Is it at least 60fps?

This is so strange. Why port to UE4?

Well several other games have done this as well (Ethan Carter, Ether One) in the process of making console ports. UE3 doesn't support PS4/XONE so you would have to do a fair bit of work to port it as is and UE4 has gotten more and more mature and release ready I beleive. I assume Virtuos looked at the options and decided porting to UE4 made more sense to them (maybe it is a quicker process, I do not know) and they would be able to take advantage of various UE4 features.

A lot of this stuff from the trailer makes this not look like a massive visual upgrade, although all the prerendered stuff will look a lot better now I bet. Also not targeting 60FPS was a mistake.

I replaced your trailer screenshot with one from the gamesyde video.

This is really bad. I was ok with the changes they made on the faces in FF X / X-2, but this looks completely different

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/7wQVAsM.jpg[/IMG][img]http://i.imgur.com/gueIm13.png[/img]

Thanks, I wasn't ready to definitively say they're using lower quality textures due to the compression and lighting difference but now I clearly see that they are - just look at his lab coat. Entirely different
Is it at least 60fps?
No word yet, but I doubt it.

Well several other games have done this as well (Ethan Carter, Ether One) in the process of making console ports. UE3 doesn't support PS4/XONE so you would have to do a fair bit of work to port it as is and UE4 has gotten more and more mature and release ready I beleive. I assume Virtuos looked at the options and decided porting to UE4 made more sense to them (maybe it is a quicker process, I do not know) and they would be able to take advantage of various UE4 features.

A lot of this stuff from the trailer makes this not look like a massive visual upgrade, although all the prerendered stuff will look a lot better now I bet. Also not targeting 60FPS was a mistake.
That's what I don't get. UE3 doesn't officially support PS4/XB1 but there are quite a few titles ranging from AAA (Arkham Knight) to smaller titles (Rocket League) which are UE3 and on them.

I don't understand who would pick this weird side grade to UE4 that doesn't even appear to be using many of the visual perks of UE4 over a 1080/60 high res textures UE3 version of the games.

rhandino

Banned
It's just not included and I doubt many people are scratching for it's inclusion. It's a game I'd like to play because I never did, but it won't hold me back from buying 2 of the best Batman games I've ever played.
I sure am! Origins is a really good game with a nice story and surprisingly great performances from Batman and The Joker new actors and it was a nice package overall that could stand well with the other 2 games.

The Golden Abyss situation would be more comparable with the fact that they are not including Blackgate which is weird since that one got consoles and PC ports a while ago... but Blackgate, like Golden Abyss, was LEGIT bad so I am not surprised they drooped it.

I don't see what's funny or what's not justified. I mean I can easily complain about Golden Abyss not being included in the ND collection.

I didn't like Origins. I gave it the benefit of the doubt before it was released, but I hated the combat and its constant game breaking glitches. I can't imagine how a remastered version would have remedied these problems. Has there ever been proof that a remastered game has improved the gameplay and technical limitations from its previous version?

rhandino

Banned
Has there ever been proof that a remastered game has improved the gameplay and technical limitations from its previous version?
The Zelda remasters are so improved over the original games that is almost impossible to go back to them since they are not only pretty but include a TON of QoL improvements... but they are sold separately and treated almost like main releases meant to replace the originals so there is that =P

Oh, Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Directors Cut) had some gameplay improvements like better boss fights and it also integrated the DLC into the main game but it had some questionable graphical changes so... =/

Uncharted 1 did just that.

I've never played the Uncharted series before. But one point I'd like to make is the clumsy map layout of Arkham Origins. It made travel a bore, made worse by the fact that there were less grappling points to work from. I can't see how a remaster was going to correct this.

This looks way worse than the original. The hair looks much more artificial and there is no reflection on the glasses....lighting looks worse too. This is making me a bit nervous. I really hope Im wrong but this kinda looks like some quick and dirty job.

Remaster
batman-arkham-remastered-comp5-2.jpg

Original
batman-arkham-remastered-comp5-1.jpg
My god..... This is tragic....

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I remember pretty much every larger Cutscene being prerendered. I imagine they're real time now.

Is it at least 60fps?

Since they changed the engine and the models and everything else, i'm pointing to no...if it was a straight port of the previous code, it would most likely be 60fps

I'm assuming they figured they could port to UE4 and take advantage of the features to spruce the game up in dated areas and while it looks like they did that to a degree, they also worsened other things with their hit or miss asset redesigns

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The scaling was really all over the place. The car gets brought up the most, but there are lots of other examples: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=21809

You know, the article you linked did indeed point out these issues, but ended with an honest appreciation for what WB Montreal did right, giving it a balanced and fair conclusion:

WBGM made a bigger game than Rocksteady, they made it without the handy “prison city” conceit, they did it using technology that was new to them, and they finished the job without getting caught in development hell.

I've never played the Uncharted series before. But one point I'd like to make is the clumsy map layout of Arkham Origins. It made travel a bore, made worse by the fact that there were less grappling points to work from. I can't see how a remaster was going to correct this.
Traversal and gliding will definitely feel so shitty after playing Knight.

Those comparison pics really have me worried.. My hype has deflated. I didn't even really mind the botched faces in FFX HD, but here it just looks like a really poor imitation of the original games.

balohna

No Origins sucks, but if these games had to be ported to UE4 I can see why. It most likely wasn't a 1:1 port with prettier assets, they likely had to code/script lots of stuff from scratch.

WillyFive

It has the best story. As in game, that's hugely debatable!

Yeah, the story is great, but gameplay is a really bland and rather poor imitation of the two previous Arkham games. Even simple stuff like combat felt slower and less fun; I noticed this especially when I finished Origins and booted up City just to see the difference, and City's combat was immediately immensely satisfying in a way that shocked me realizing that I had gotten used to such a big downgrade in Origins.

It has the best story. As in game, that's hugely debatable!
In complete agreement. The story I thought was the best, but the combat was off and the world as a whole was a huge chore to explore. There's no way it's the best Arkham game unless you completely disregard all gameplay.

NYR94

This looks bad. I played the games enough when they originally came out so I'll pass. I haven't even finished Arkham Knight yet.

Ah, woof, those new comparison screens. It seems like small (but very nice!) details always get lost in these conversions.

I have a modest gaming laptop that can run these games pretty well, so I guess I'll just stick with those instead.

And seriously, no Origins, no buy. The game that could have used the most TLC, ignored. Ugh.

Virtuos is two for two for remasters that change faces around for some reason. Will probably skip this, though. Would have bitten if it had Origins not because I think it's the best or anything, but because it probably had the most to gain from a new port on consoles from a performance standpoint.

Has there ever been proof that a remastered game has improved the gameplay and technical limitations from its previous version?

Square-Enix went out of their way to include a bunch of QoL improvements for the HD port of the first Kingdom Hearts game to the point that the PS2 version is damn near impossible to go back to.

Davide

More screenies courtesy of gearnuke..the rest of these dont appear to be such of an outright downgrade as the Hugo Strange screenie, but the Joker pic looks kinda off in the remaster too, less detail in the hair.

Remaster

batman-arkham-remastered-comp2-2.jpg

Original

batman-arkham-remastered-comp2-1.jpg
I thought the lighting looked off. Looks terrible.

iYCR4TS.jpg

Yeah. I don't know if marketing screwed up while using unfinished assets or they simply didn't do a very good job porting the game. You can't even see Wayne's reflection in Strange's glasses.

It looks like they've had trouble working in all those post-effects and textures.

That looks like SILENT HILL HD COLLECTION-bad.

This looks way worse than the original. The hair looks much more artificial and there is no reflection on the glasses....lighting looks worse too. This is making me a bit nervous. I really hope Im wrong but this kinda looks like some quick and dirty job.

Remaster
batman-arkham-remastered-comp5-2.jpg

Original
batman-arkham-remastered-comp5-1.jpg

Okay, what the fuck. That does not look good.
Red flag, red flag!

Completely turned off by the pictures. What's worse is even if they fix this the discs are most likely already printed so it doesn't matter for me.

=/

Virtous? Wait, what?? How is High Voltage or Iron Galaxy not porting these?? How is that possible? I mean who is going to fuck up the port??? *edit* Nevermind, after looking at some of those screenshots, Virtous seems to be following in High Voltage and Iron Galaxy's footsteps.

Top Bottom