• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Return to Arkham announced (AA AC Demaster), UE4, Virtuos (of FFX fame)

MaLDo

Volumetric lighting effects are missing, light projection too and fog mask is not right and sometimes ¿no self shadows? (legs and ball in last gif)

Remaster/Original

217s3n.jpg

32us2j.jpg

1d8s8m.jpg

zEDSYWB.gif

0bEXEAt.gif

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Are these comparisons just based on the trailer? If so I'll hold off getting all up in arms just yet.

I'll be buying it either way.

Mivey

wait, isn't a remaster supposed to look better?
If you compare them to the old PS3 and 360 versions, I'm sure it holds up nicely. Those comparisons (at that resolution) are from a PC, probably at highest settings. Especially the PhysX effects, and a few fogs things were non-existent (at the same quality) on the console versions.

xRaizen

Have they gone back and literally made new models for all the characters?
Why would they do that?

I don't know. The original models look better than these remastered versions. Especially Harley's tattoo, now it looks like a fucking sticker instead of a tattoo.

Just going to pick this up on Black Friday when it goes on sale.

FTF

Wow, this is so disappointing. Glad I didn't get rid of my PS3 versions, looks like I'll be keeping those and saving money not buying this now :/

Lol what the fuck is going on?

I thought this was supposed to be receiving a graphical upgrade!
The only legitimate upgrade I'm seeing so far is that they're using PBR now - I think Asylum in particular will benefit from it. There's also motion blur but that's a debatable 'upgrade'. Quite literally everything else is a downgrade. Faces, texture quality, hair, lighting, self-shadows, reflections, etc.

Poor Rocksteady has to see their games butchered like this..

emrober5

I probably wasn't going to get this anyways until it dropped in price, but man that looks bad.

Games still look great on PC

kiguel182

Why didn't they just do a direct port? These screens just make it seem like they butchered the art direction of the originals.

"upgraded models, environments, lighting, effects and shaders. "

Interested in this line, but I already own all the Arkham games (minus Knight) on pc. They should have inlcluded origins as well.

jelly

I would kinda prefer the last gen games as BC since I already own them and while I'm sure the clarity would be better with these remastered ones, it looks weak and costs a lot. You can always get the PC versions for a few bucks regularly in sales so there is that too.

Has any remastered game ever been BC too on Xbox One, would WB say no?

Synless

This development team needs to go. They fucked the character models in FFX and they are doing it again here.

would it been a possibility for them to backport the models from Arkham Knight into this game? I'm not a developer so I really do not know...

At least to me, the game looks better in motion. There are small details like the Titan hyped up inmates having pulsating green veins now. But I still can understand why people are upset with the visual change...

From where I'm coming from, I have the PS3 version of Arkham City which I got for free Via PS+. The Remaster looks good enough for me to want to get it, Now if they made a GOTY edition of Knight, I'll be set.

Possible... yes. But it would require the AK model to have a skeletal rig made for its AC/AA version of the model. They might run into problems there, especially depending on how the Arkham Knight models were made.

So the short answer is yes, but it would take time and money.

This is hilarious.

If you're going to do remasters of games that are less than a decade old, maybe try and make them look better than the original?

If you have a gaming capable PC, you can buy Steam keys of all of the Batman games for 5 dollars each right now (except Arkham Knight, which is 15). I just bought Arkham Origins to see if it is actually a decent Batman game.

I feel like this was announced so long ago but the game doesn't show any sign of dedicated work. I get that switching it from UE3 to UE4 is a pretty big deal but the game just does not look good when compared to the original releases.

This thread has just reminded me how good the originals looked .

Looks like wb just ran an unreal 3 project to unreal 4 project converter and called it a day.

Then a intern with bad eyesight decided to improve the models .

MUnited83

For you.
Remaster Harley is lookin good, I approve. (outside of the tattoo that now looks like it's over the skin, like a sticker)

Top Bottom