• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Return to Arkham announced (AA AC Demaster), UE4, Virtuos (of FFX fame)

RPGCrazied

Not a big deal to me, but couldn't they just have kept UE3, upped the resolution to 1080p with some AA. Wouldn't that be the better option than to redo most of the graphics?

Gojeran

Holy shit you all were not kidding, the remaster shots honestly look terrible compared to the originals. Was hoping for a PC remaster too but at this point PC players still have the best version. WB what were you thinking? How could anybody think this is better than it was before?!?

J_Viper

On one hand, I was hyped as hell to play these again, but at the same time, it's one less game to buy in what's sure to be a packed year.

Still, damn you WB

Sober

Volumetric lighting effects are missing, light projection too and fog mask is not right and sometimes ¿no self shadows? (legs and ball in last gif)

Remaster/Original

217s3n.jpg
This along with the Bruce Wayne reflections missing in the Hugo Strange intro make me believe they just completely missed the point of those compositions.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For those asking about the 'lost detail' of catwoman's outfit, your looking at bad screen captures from a youtube video. BlimBlim's video clearly shows the detail

vlcsnap_2016_05_22_16h01m58s784.png

Not a big deal to me, but couldn't they just have kept UE3, upped the resolution to 1080p with some AA. Wouldn't that be the better option than to redo most of the graphics?

A lot of the parts of the older games still look good on maximum settings on PC, but a lot of the assets also show their age significantly, that is to say nothing about the last gen versions.

But i'm pretty sure the art style changes for the games had no coordination between Rocksteady and Virtiouso, as they are based in China, and Rocksteady generally has little to do with external projects

Davide

This along with the Bruce Wayne reflections missing in the Hugo Strange intro make me believe they just completely missed the point of those compositions.
It's so bad I don't know if I'd play the remasters if I had them for free. And I've waited years for it.

I really was waiting for this when first rumours came up... and im speechless how this turned out! I guess those devs were the cheapest and yeah it shows! Just horrible work! Well done WB games!!

Reminds me of a much more drastic port job like when Mass Effect 2 was ported to PS3 on a more advanced version of Unreal then the original game so the lighting was slightly different and everything looked a bit weird.

I hope this are just bad screenshots because I would love a great prettied up version of AA but I dunno......

KingBroly

Banned
For those asking about the 'lost detail' of catwoman's outfit, your looking at bad screen captures from a youtube video. BlimBlim's video clearly shows the detail

vlcsnap_2016_05_22_16h01m58s784.png

A lot of the parts of the older games still look good on maximum settings on PC, but a lot of the assets also show their age significantly, that is to say nothing about the last gen versions.

But i'm pretty sure the art style changes for the games had no coordination between Rocksteady and Virtiouso, as they are based in China, and Rocksteady generally has little to do with external projects

Why is her chest bone (at the base of the neck) bulging out so damn much? Looks terrible.

Davide

Volumetric lighting effects are missing, light projection too and fog mask is not right and sometimes ¿no self shadows? (legs and ball in last gif)

[...]

zEDSYWB.gif
People have said it's unfair comparing it to PC max settings...well this is what the 360 was able to do, complete with volumetric lighting effects, light projection, self shadows. They have destroyed the look of the games.

XqrOSMl.png

I have a few questions:

-- Will the games be on one disc?
-- Are the teams at Virtuous going to have to rework the game entirely in order to make it work on the new engine?
-- Is there the chance that WB may release a complete edition of Arkham Knight (with all the dlc) in tandem with Return to Arkham?

Inuhanyou

I have a few questions:

-- Will the games be on one disc?
-- Are the teams at Virtuous going to have to rework the game entirely in order to make it work on the new engine?
-- Is there the chance that WB may release a complete edition of Arkham Knight (with all the dlc) in tandem with Return to Arkham?

I'd assume so for number one..

Number 2...i'm not sure what you mean, it seems like they have redone almost everything with this.

Its possible, and i'd like to think so, especially since i haven't played that game yet because i've been waiting for that very thing.

Number 2...i'm not sure what you mean, it seems like they have redone almost everything with this.

Maybe I should reword it more clearly. I'm terrible at phrasing, but I was wondering if there's the possibility that reworking everything for UE4 could create bugs in these ports. I'm not familiar with the process of remastering games, but I have to assume it involves working with the programming code and what not. Is there the trouble of reworking glitches and what not? Some on the WB boards seem to want Asylum to have beatdowns and the grapnel boost in the gameplay, but I can't see how they could do that without creating havoc to the programming. And besides, I don't think Asylum's map would be suited well to Arkham City's controls.

Tagyhag

That's really fucked up. I already have the PC versions but touting UE4 made me excited. Wouldn't have minded double dipping.

At least I save some money.

Either way, if it's both games at $40 and 60fps, it's still a good buy for people who never played the games or just the console versions.

LewieP

They probably decided to not do a remaster for PC because disappointed PC customers will be able to refund it, whereas there is no refund option on PS4/Xbox One.

Wasnt gonna buy this uncomplete cash grab because of the missing Arkham Origins but seeing this major downgrade im really happy i will not buy it anyway.

Inuhanyou

Maybe I should reword it more clearly. I'm terrible at phrasing, but I was wondering if there's the possibility that reworking everything for UE4 could create bugs in these ports. I'm not familiar with the process of remastering games, but I have to assume it involves working with the programming code and what not. Is there the trouble of reworking glitches and what not? Some on the WB boards seem to want Asylum to have beatdowns and the grapnel boost in the gameplay, but I can't see how they could do that without creating havoc to the programming. And besides, I don't think Asylum's map would be suited well to Arkham City's controls.

Have you played FFX remaster? Its like that...they are keeping the gameplay the same, just changing the assets visually...

It looks to be quite hit or miss in reception atleast on GAF, but if they keep the gameplay the same, then you should expect the same results as the original titles as long as their coding is sound, which based on their previous work is the case.

Inuhanyou

I wonder how this looks compared to the already existing "current gen" version of Arkham City - AC: Armoured Edition for Wii U.

The assets are the same as the original version, but the costumes are much worse, performance is worse and in terms of IQ its much worse.

video_994.jpg

I don't think we'll see the extent of Return to Arkham until the game actually comes out and people can fully analyze it outside of trailers

Trace

Banned
They probably decided to not do a remaster for PC because disappointed PC customers will be able to refund it, whereas there is no refund option on PS4/Xbox One.

I just opened AC GotY for PC, it still holds up fantastically today. Lighting is all around great, character models still look good. Textures are a little rough but it runs like a dream. The PhysX effects especially still look better than a bunch of current gen games.

CamHostage

this is such an odd "remaster" all around. I get the feeling that WB thought that a UE3 to UE4 port would be easy as pie, then Virtuous got overwhelmed by the work they had to do (basically after porting assets they had to completely rework just about everything) and started cutting corners so they could meet the deadline handed to them by WB.

I mean, they're not a bumbling studio as far as I can see, so there must be something or some many things going wrong here, right?

Virtuos has experience on a number of HD ports, most people are citing Final Fantasy X/X2 (which was obviously a massive conversion in asset change given the age and of the original materials not even being in HD much less a modern engine) but they also did Fable Anniversary and Heavy Rain HD, plus the mobile version of XCOM. I don't have any of those myself so I don't know offhand but those were all successful and there's much less complaining about port visual quality. (Fable does have a lot of commentary on choices made to models and colors, Heavy Rain seems to have some weird bugs and there's that crowd issue in the subway station, but both games overall are considered faithful and improvements from my glance around at impressions, few hatchet-job accusations.)

In general, looking at Batman RtA and FFX/X2 and Fable and even Heavy Rain, Virtuos seem to be a studio hired to do the grunt work of huge overhauls in textures/models/effects across the game rather than finely honed craftsmanship of exacting conversions. Some projects will certainly call for one approach over another. What I don't understand here though (and I'm nowhere in development to say one way or another about porting to new-gen consoles or converting between custom-rigged UE3 and UE4) is why the Batman Arkham games took the former approach? It makes sense that the FMV was jettisoned and done instead in-game (and thus it'd look quite different; BTW, how much FMV is in the Arkham games?), and going from some form of UE3 to UE4 doesn't automatically make everything better like some people think (it may be newer, but it does many things differently that some things will just change because of the different mechanics and some things will actually be worse because UE3 just could do certain things better in what it was designed to do.) I'm still not clear what required such rebuilding when the originals looked so spectacular and when the PC version showcased forms of the original assets just fine?

LewieP

I just opened AC GotY for PC, it still holds up fantastically today. Lighting is all around great, character models still look good. Textures are a little rough but it runs like a dream. The PhysX effects especially still look better than a bunch of current gen games.

I didn't mean to suggest the PC version needs a remaster. Both games are great looking, and had these new versions for PS4/Xbox One been essentially a 1080p/60fps port of the PC version at max settings, I don't think many people would have complained.

But in the event of them putting out a legitimately upgraded version on consoles, I think it would have been a shame to not release it on PC too. As it is, it appears as though the original PC version will still be the definitive release.

If you have not played the games, what the originals looked like should not matter to you. This is a series of pros and cons. A lot of the updating taking out a lot of the rougher areas of the games that showed their age on the other console versions, but losing a portion of the original art direction when recreating assets.

I don't personally think it such a big deal, especially since i enjoyed the FFX remaster enough.

Of course they should.

As much as I really want to play the games, I'd be doing myself a disservice by supporting this "Demaster" which is such a poor quality it's astounding.

Edit: Has Dark or anyone from DF chirped in on this game yet?

Inuhanyou

Of course they should.

As much as I really want to play the games, I'd be doing myself a disservice by supporting this "Demaster" which is such a poor quality it's astounding.

Edit: Has Dark or anyone from DF chirped in on this game yet?

How do you know its a "poor quality" when most of the complaining is just about a portion of the assets not looking the same as the original? How they look is subjective from person to person, even though its mostly a bandwagon in this particular thread, in other places online, i see a lot of people positive on many of the changes.

Would you not have to see an actual close look at the complete product in its entirety to even make such a definitive judgement?

Piichan

Banned
Always wanted to play these games, but was holding off for a remaster. Looks like the original versions will be the way to go after all.

EDIT: Damn, kind of a boring comment at the top of the page, sorry guys lol.

Top Bottom