• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Return to Arkham announced (AA AC Demaster), UE4, Virtuos (of FFX fame)

Don't understand how they can screw this up :( People asked for this but the end result is dissapointing. Especially with no Origins in, thanks WB >> Just looks awful.

Zalman

Even if they were exactly the same, I would still pick it up down the line for cheap just for the convenience of having both on one PS4 disc. But if they look worse, then yeah, I'm not going to bother.

Not sure if any has mentioned this but over on the official Arkham forums, a mod confirmed that Joker from Asylum is playable both on PS4 and the Xbox One.

There's also this from the german amazon site

"Cross Play: Master the Challenge Maps in Batman Arkham Asylum first with Characters from Batman Arkham City"

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B01DXSSPA2/

Still not enough to tempt me to get it lol. With no Origins and it's DLC and awful looking textures, there's no way.

Holy shit, what is going on with this thing? Whose idea was it to switch the game over to UE4? 30FPS and it looks like shit, when presumably a straight UE3 port would have been an easy 60FPS slam dunk.

Bio-Frost

Holy shit, what is going on with this thing? Whose idea was it to switch the game over to UE4? 30FPS and it looks like shit, when presumably a straight UE3 port would have been an easy 60FPS slam dunk.
Doesn't work that way. UE3 has no native ps4 or xbone one support. Would of had to port the old engine.

Garlador

Doesn't work that way. UE3 has no native ps4 or xbone one support. Would of had to port the old engine.
Didn't Arkham Knight run on Unreal 3?

Either way, this is a SERIOUS downgrade. It only looks like the picture comparisons got reversed. Unbelievable.

Parsnip

I was upset that this wasn't coming to PC.
Was looking for an excuse to play the two games again.

Not so much anymore, man. Glad I have the PC versions of the originals.

AK PC was a POS and now the Remaster looks worse than the original.

WB please stop handing Batman these unnecessary Ls. He aint did nothing to nobody!

The sheer blatant cheek of "remaster" being a way worse looking game AND being priced at £40. Nope. No way.

Does WB enjoy treating the Arkham fanbase like a gang of schmucks or what?

RPGCrazied

Had $10 in Amazon credit, what the hell. I know I was part of No Origins, no buy, but getting it for $42 is a steal, considering all the DLC coming with it. I remember City having a ton of skins DLC. Plus I'd love to play these in UE4 and in a smoother framerate than the PS3 versions dish out.

etta

my hard graphic balls
RaTZoMz.jpg

pdsdv70.jpg

This might be the only time I prefer something to have a Hulk piss filter, but holy shit they just completely destroyed the atmosphere, the grit, the bleakness.

What in the hell is this?!? Where's the grit? He looks like a fucking toy now.

Bio-Frost

Didn't Arkham Knight run on Unreal 3?

Either way, this is a SERIOUS downgrade. It only looks like the picture comparisons got reversed. Unbelievable.
Custom ue3 to run on next gen. Its pretty much UE3.5, kinda how Bioshock 1 is UE2.5. They did this since ue4 wasnt out when they started dev. When making huge changes like this you cant just take a old project and assume it will work with is just fine.

Now this is just my own speculation from my experence but it would of been just as much work to get the older games running on their next gen custom ue3.5 as it would ue4. So why re licence the old engine when ue4 has most of the features they need.

This is just a shot in the dark but I wouldnt expect all the extra cloth physics from the pc version either. Ue4 at its base doesnt support cloth interaction the way ue3 did. It only interacts with the character, so his cape will be fine but extra banners to cut down wont be in unless they changed thet in ue4' code.only self cloth collision works.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/qu...-not-collide-with-floorground-it-goes-ri.html

Zaventem

Regarding the hair textures, why are so many next gen games uaving the same problem? They end up looking worse than last gen. Like they want to show off individual strands and it just ends up looking like shit.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'll just hope the original games come to backward compatibility on Xbox after this releases, or I'll just play them again on PC.
They completely butchered and destroyed the atmosphere and bleakness in this.

MaLDo

- Ey, that mouth is too dark, right?
- Yeah! let's remove that darkness.
- But we can not make a remaster removing things. Where can we add the removed darkness?
- .... The Eyes!!!

4ynsig.jpg

RPGCrazied

Look at the comparisons again on page 16. I really do think some of these grabs on recent pages are just low quality.

From what I see on page 16, I think it does look better. Though the Penguin model does look worse.

Lnds500

I don't get the "UE3 is not compatible with PS4" argument. We've seen countless remastered games and I bet that most of these weren't "compatible" with the PS4 or PS3 systems.

FF X/X-2 is a 2-gen old engine - it works just fine through porting, no?

Whoever made the new remastered joker model had no idea how his jacket worked or how it's buttoned up by crossing over itself, they added a FUCKING ZIP

BigDug13

I don't get the "UE3 is not compatible with PS4" argument. We've seen countless remastered games and I bet that most of these weren't "compatible" with the PS4 or PS3 systems.

FF X/X-2 is a 2-gen old engine - it works just fine through porting, no?

Handsome Jack was a port of 2 UE3 games over a year ago that runs at 60fps compared to the last gen below 30fps versions. They even added 4 player split screen (day one) and FOV slider (via later patch).

robotrock

Banned
Did they have ever a good reputation?

To be honest I really liked what they were doing up until the Mortal Kombat X PC port, followed by the Arkham Knight PC port, which was then followed by the news that Mortal Kombat X PC would not be getting any of the new DLC the console versions were getting.

Before that though I remember thinking they were decently cool.

The biggest issue that I can see so far is that the lighting and shaders are terrible, hair now looks like a blob and a lot of the shadows both self-shadowing and darker shadows from bump mapping are gone.

The first thing they need to look at is fixing is the lighting.

KingBroly

Banned
To be honest I really liked what they were doing up until the Mortal Kombat X PC port, followed by the Arkham Knight PC port, which was then followed by the news that Mortal Kombat X PC would not be getting any of the new DLC the console versions were getting.

Before that though I remember thinking they were decently cool.

What soured me on WB was Injustice on Wii U. They stopped support after a while, had no DLC bundles and the game didn't even have custom lobbies to play with your friends. Then they just up and cancelled all DLC for Arkham Origins on Wii U as well. For WB, if you're not first, you're nothing to them. MK X on PC wasn't super surprising, but Arkham Knight was just...abhorrent.

Oynox

They indeed completely destroy the atmosphere of Arkham Asylum which was one of the most important aspects of this game. What a pitty :c

MaLDo

RaTZoMz.jpg

pdsdv70.jpg

This might be the only time I prefer something to have a Hulk piss filter, but holy shit they just completely destroyed the atmosphere, the grit, the bleakness.

What in the hell is this?!? Where's the grit? He looks like a fucking toy now.

By the way, in those comparissons the distant detail of pc version is lost. There is a pretty evident difference in detail distance and lod. And using SweetFX we can improve the final IQ

https://abload.de/img/shippingpc-bmgame2016t6sjg.png

Whoever made the new remastered joker model had no idea how his jacket worked or how it's buttoned up by crossing over itself, they added a FUCKING ZIP

Good spot. Maybe whoever did the new texture didn't look too closely at the old one and didn't know that two rows of buttons means a double breasted shirt. You'd figure somebody would have spotted the mistake though.

RPGCrazied

They could fix the lighting in a patch if they wanted. Probably won't, but not a deal breaker. To play them at a stable framerate is what I'm after now.

Hesh

- But we can not make a remaster removing things. Where can we add the removed darkness?
- .... The Eyes!!!

4ynsig.jpg

Weird how they made his head wider (I've noticed different body dimensions on previous screenshots, too). I wonder if that was just an artist's error in rendering or if they specifically wanted it to be wider than the original. this is such an odd "remaster" all around. I get the feeling that WB thought that a UE3 to UE4 port would be easy as pie, then Virtuous got overwhelmed by the work they had to do (basically after porting assets they had to completely rework just about everything) and started cutting corners so they could meet the deadline handed to them by WB.

GeeTeeCee

Did they have ever a good reputation?

Dying Light was pretty well supported and a generally all around good experience, but I'd probably say that's down to Techland somehow managing to avoid the usual WB nonsense.

Arkham Asylum and City might be my favourite games of all time. I also loved Arkham Knight. When the remaster was announced I was absolutely going to buy it.

Now? I honestly don't see the point. This is like the anti-Bluepoint. Bloody hell, WB. What happened?

BouncyFrag

- .... The Eyes!!!

4ynsig.jpg
Whatever you do, don't zoom in on the left Penguin's glassed eye.

Top Bottom