• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman The Brave and the Bold (Wii) Debut Trailer

Dascu

Haunted said:
Would be understandable if you don't like the art style of the show, otherwise no excuses! :p
Dascu said:
1. I'm not fond of the art direction of this animated show in general.
2. I think the characters and the backgrounds don't mesh well. Backgrounds look kinda sloppy and it gives the game that Flash look.
Read, you silly German!

If only I had known this was coming a couple weeks ago it could have still played no role in my decision to buy Muramasa for my limited 2D beat em up needs.

E-DuB

"What’s that? You want gadgets? We got ‘em! Tons of ‘em!"

Anyone else laugh their ass off when they heard this? Looks really good. Here's hoping it pans out.

according to GAF almost everything 2D looks like flash these days.
what's so damn bad about flash-look anyway?
just because your god-like ipad isn't supporting it, doesn't make it bad

me thinks it looks great. it catches the look of the cartoon.
more 2D love is always good in my book. will get it at a high price

shuyin_

Banned
So WayForward is actually developing both versions? For some reason, i was under the impression they're only developing the DS version.

Vizion28

Banned
That looks awesome. We need more games like this. This is a type of game I will buy for my little nephew for Christmas. Hopefully it is priced under $40.

Haunted

Best adaptation of a cartoon art style since Harvey Birdman. I like the look.

Although Robin looks like he has a Lego head in that cutscene.

Dascu said:
Read, you silly German!
whoops. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think it visually looks ok but the gameplay looks pretty, well, pretty much like licensed kid fare. My immediate reaction was "this reminds me of that kim possible ps2 game that everyone said was better than most licensed games but really it was exactly like most licensed games"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So Canary and Plasticman are confirmed too!

Does this mean more than 2 players?

Stumpokapow said:
I think it visually looks ok but the gameplay looks pretty, well, pretty much like licensed kid fare. My immediate reaction was "this reminds me of that kim possible ps2 game that everyone said was better than most licensed games but really it was exactly like most licensed games"

Um... a boy and his blob

WayFoward proves that they are the masters of 2D. The game looksincredible. Sadly it seems to play like shit.

Hopefully my impressions are wrong. After all "A Boy and His Blob" was a great game. Though unlike that game I hope it actually sells decent. So far it seems only Vanillaware is capable of making a high production 2D console game, that isn't a fighting game, turn a profit.

The 2D wave on Wii just doesn't give up.

Ookami-kun said:
Um... a boy and his blob

Wha?

iamaustrian said:
according to GAF almost everything 2D looks like flash these days.
what's so damn bad about flash-look anyway?
just because your god-like ipad isn't supporting it, doesn't make it bad

Nobody is complaining about the "Flash-look" because of Apple loyalty, but more so because they want the game to look better than games they play on the internet. Which makes no sense at all, but than again you have people who make comments about Vanillaware's games looking "Flash-like".

Pennywise83 said:
Batman: The Brave and the Bold Screenshots

Beautiful!

Boss Doggie

I was referring to the fact that a boy and his blob also looked like a PS2 game but it was actually quite well-done.

Haunted

Ookami-kun said:
Um... a boy and his blob
Was a puzzle game, cleverly using the jelly mechanics to set up levels.

This looks like a standard brawler, the worry is justified.

ultim8p00 said:
It looks pretty fucking sweet actally. Reminds me of Shank.
Shank looks like a Flash game (not joking). It has that distinct feel/vibe.

Coming from me that's a huge compliment and not an attack. <3 Flash games.

jergrah

I think it looks pretty cool -- something I could play through with my sons.

Im curious to learn more about how long the game will actually be and what the price point will be. I wish the announcement included XBLA/PSN release with online co-op.

Ookami-kun said:
I was referring to the fact that a boy and his blob also looked like a PS2 game but it was actually quite well-done.

He wasn't referring to the Kim Possible game looking like a PS2 game (he said it actually was a PS2 game) but more so that he stated that it was a licensed game that looked promising but ended up playing like another license game which makes his comparison relevant to this.

Haunted said:

That's a good point.

Then again Wayforward's throw away games rarely have the production values of this.

Ookami-kun said:
Ah okay, my bad. But they probably learned their lesson from abahb

The game that sold 4 digits in its first month?

I mean I can understand if you mean critically, but people here are worried that this could just be a cash in license game and if abahb is an example of them reconsidering their financial strategy well...

Again I'm not saying this will suck and is a throw away game to them, in terms of presentation the bar is obviously set quite high. It's just that looking at their track record I wouldn't say anything is a guarantee. I'd be cautiously optimistic at the most.

Boss Doggie

Flying_Phoenix said:

I mean I can understand if you mean critically, but people here are worried that this could just be a cash in license game and if abahb is an example of them reconsidering their financial strategy well...

Again I'm not saying this will suck and is a throw away game to them, in terms of presentation the bar is obviously set quite high. It's just that looking at their track record I wouldn't say anything is a guarantee.

Who says cash-ins can't be fun? A lot of licensed games were also good, mind you. And a pure arcade beat-em up action is welcome to the table, especially if it carries the humor and pizazz of the show.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ookami-kun said:
Um... a boy and his blob

I didn't mean it looks PS2-level, and I wouldn't agree about A Boy and His Blob (the lighting from the first screenshot looked better). Like I said, the visuals on this game seem fine.

I mean that the GAMEPLAY looks kinda boring and that it actively reminds me of Kim Possible: What's The Switch for PS2.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Flying_Phoenix said:

That...doesn't make sense. ABaHB didn't sell well, so as a result of that they would now make this game crappy on purpose because crap sells?
They've already landed the license, which, lets be honest, is where most of the sales of this game are going to come from. But games like ABaHB show that these guys do have some actual pride as developers, and they enjoy making actual good games, so I'm hoping that they'll take this license and give it a solid game behind it.
(Their past history with licensed games hasn't been so hot, but hey, I can hope)

And licensed doesn't necessarily mean crap. One of my favorite games when I was younger was the Shaman King Metroidvania rip-off for the GBA, and while it wasn't groundbreaking, it was still a solid fun title for my young self.

soldat7

cacildo said:
Im almost 30. I played 2d games most of my life. Im tired of it. I want 3d games with (well implemented) motion control - something new and innovative

So no, i wont buy this.
And i could be ok with it IF the wii had normal 3d games coming, but since the wii has almost 2 games coming out for the rest of this year, then no, im not ok with this 2D batman crap.

Fuck this flash shit.

:lol

2D? Wayforward? Yes, I will buy this.

hey guys will this be even half as good as the Batman and Robin game, the one with the carnival as the first stage?

if so... GOTY.

Haunted said:

I thought the puzzle aspects of ABAHB were pretty weak, outside of the puzzles in world 4 involving clones of the boy. The action/platforming elements were a lot better, which should bode well for a pure action game like Batman. It seems silly to judge the gameplay by a series of <2 second clips but the action in the trailer seemed pretty good to me.

The_Technomancer said:
That...doesn't make sense. ABaHB didn't sell well, so as a result of that they would now make this game crappy on purpose because crap sells?

That isn't what I meant.

I stated that in the past Wayforward is known for using license games as cash ins with mediocre quality. Ookami-kun then stated "A Boy and His Blob" as a counter example. That didn't make sense because why would Wayforward all of a sudden put pride in their license games because of that? Not only was it not a license title but it didn't sell well. S it doesn't really send the message that their mediocre license titles need to up the quality for more sales.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Flying_Phoenix said:
That isn't what I meant.

I stated that in the past Wayforward is known for using license games as cash ins with mediocre quality. Ookami-kun then stated "A Boy and His Blob" as a counter example. That didn't make sense because why would Wayforward all of a sudden put pride in their license games because of that? Not only was it not a license title but it didn't sell well. S it doesn't really send the message that their mediocre license titles need to up the quality for more sales.
Fair enough, I agree that they probably took away "licensed games sell better then unknown IPs", but I don't see how that would relate to the quality of either category though. Licensed games just tend to be crap, but obviously there's nothing fundamental about that.

Top Bottom