• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 leaked, Oct 18, Harlem Hellfighter DLC

What are you most excited to hear about today?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting that the hellfighter pack is only themed items. Usually it's a map pack of some sorts. maybe they are going the free map dlc route?

pizzacat

Banned
History_WWI_The_Harlem_Hellfighters_159264_SF_rev2_HD_still_624x352.jpg

Glad I was wrong, that fucking rad.
This is the coolest thing to come out of it, very interesting.

But WW1?

That name? A week after gears? I'll wait for ea access

interesting that the hellfighter pack is only themed items. Usually it's a map pack of some sorts. maybe they are going the free map dlc route?

This would be amazing if true. They need to stop splitting the userbase with paid map packs. Give all maps for free, but provide unique items and single-player experiences for pay.

Pryce

I'm cautiously optimistic, BF4 was an absolute disaster that suffered from a unacceptable number of ridiculous bugs, glitches, exploits and massive stability issues. It calls into question DICE's very credibility and reputation. They deserve nothing but skepticism, incredulity and doubt in evrything they say. They simply aren't trustworthy enough, they need to knock this one out of the park. They need to deliver a complete, stable and functional game on release day, NOT months later.

DICE is absolutely trustworthy. The launch was bad, but since then they turned BF4 into the best online shooter this gen with updates, support and free maps two full years into its run.

jaaz

This sounds awesome! I'm still hoping it encompass parts of WW2, but given the title, that's probably next year!

Oh and LoL at MS spoiling DICE's big reveal.

Oh I know, I've been thinking of it more and it's honestly it's hard for me to describe why I feel this way considering other FPS's using real wars as a setting for their game. I think maybe it's the situations are different? Nazis are a prime example of an evil force you have to fight back against. They're a clear video game baddie because what the Nazi's stood for is reprehensible. Whereas the reasons for WW1 occuring are more complicated, there's no distinguishable, clear enemy force you're fighting against, so it makes the slaughter of young men and women more hard to justify in a video game setting (and yes, that obviously applies to any war ever as well). Not like that justifies the violence of WW2 games either....

Honestly it's a tricky one for me, I don't know why this sticks out more than a WW2 game, for example, would do. Obviously I need to think more about it! I'll wait and see how the game is first, but I hope they can show the war as the atrocity that it was. It's just that based off past examples in Battlefield 3 and 4, I just don't see that happening.

So how do you feel knowing that it follows The Harlem Hellfighters? I guarantee 0.1% of the gaming community has heard of them. That's a pretty good start.

Hagi

Huh wasn't really expecting anything like this so that's cool. Looking forward to the reveal now.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I never understood that mindset of being racist against the people who risk their lives for the same country in that era. I thought white people around that time would people happy seeing black people fight in the same war in order to fight against Germany and etc.

Honestly they would have preferred it if they didn't come back.

Do these shooter companies not realize that half the fun is via the realism? Real guns, real settings, plausible stories...

I never complained about CoD going sci-fi because we always had BF to fall back on for the modern warfare, and now that's gone.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Probably just cosmetic changes

Neat to see a black guy on the cover and the Harlem Hellfighers getting stuff in the game. Too often groups like that get overlooked in historical shooters.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I never understood that mindset of being racist against the people who risk their lives for the same country in that era. I thought white people around that time would people happy seeing black people fight in the same war in order to fight against Germany and etc.

It really depended on the country.

Unlike the British, the French held high opinions of black soldiers which made for a more positive environment when working together. Ironically this made African American troops more passionate about fighting for America. This newly created patriotism by African Americans then led to the creation of the 369th Infantry Regiment.

America has always had a lot of racial tension.

『Inaba Resident』;202800675 said:
Covering the Harlem Hellfighters is cool but it sounds like its only DLC

Sounds like it's additional items. Hype reduced slightly if it doesn't follow them. That would be cool.

It'll probably be a mix of both, based off lessons learned from BF3/4 and Hardline. Free, single map releases similar to the Dragon Valley remake from BF4. But then also typical paid X-Pac's with multiple maps, weapons, vehicles, and the such. I'd be surprised if they didn't do paid X-Pac's. BF3 and BF4's X-Pac's were really well received, with the new maps often being better and more interesting than the vanilla maps

jaaz

This is awesome, from wiki:

"The nickname "Hell Fighters" was given to them by the Germans due to their toughness and that they never lost a man through capture, lost a trench or a foot of ground to the enemy.[4] The "Harlem Hellfighters" were the first all black regiment that helped change the American public's opinion on African American soldiers and helped pave the way for future African American soldiers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/369th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

People seem to not know a lot about WW1 which is another reason I'm glad it might get more attention in popular media. French soldiers started WW1 looking nearly identical to Napoleon's troops 100 years earlier.

k4n3

Banned
sucks its not based in a alternate reality honestly WW1 sounds boring as hell, amazing tho that leak from the german site what was it 3 months ago was right lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom