• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 leaked, Oct 18, Harlem Hellfighter DLC

What are you most excited to hear about today?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
God damnit.... WWI, seriously?

Call me crazy, but trench warfare with bolt action rifles doesn't sound exciting to me.

If they can somehow pull this off and still make the game exciting I'll be impressed but my hype for the reveal has definitely been been deflated.

What's with people thinking the WW1 setting = boring game. This is a videogame, WW1 can be the theme without them staying 100% true to it.

Will probably replace the knife for melee in this game.

Hopefully it's like their recent Battlefield games and we can pick and choose our melee weapon. I want a push knife!

Because of the limited technology back then, war was much more brutal than what we have to day. Just look up some of the trench knives and clubs from the era. It's some Leatherface-looking shit.

Raide

I've seen some hilarious shit come out of BF4.

That video of the guy detonating the C4 which launches a tank 100 feet in the air who then shoots a fucking jet out of the sky was hilarious.

Yeah, it does happen but I always felt the BC2 gameplay, with its smaller and more focused combat, just led to way more Battlefield moments. Way too much running around and running towards objectives in the later BF games. They sacrificed destruction for scale and it was a poor choice imo.

Pastry

Banned
So the DLC contains themed items instead of maps.

I wonder if they're going to do the microtransaction supported online route instead of a season pass.

Couldn't it just be the preorder content though? Battlefront preorders came with immediate access to some items and there was still full DLC.

Rockyrock

Well this is the company that sanctioned BF: Hardline, which makes no sense, and it bombed (no-one plays it).

Someone at DICE having a brainstorm and thinking, 'let's make a Battlefield game about cops & robbers', even though it was more or less a low-budget stop-gap, is just as far-fetched as the same idea about a steampunk WW1 setting you'd think, 'cept the cops & robbers game was sanctioned.

So I believe it's going to happen.

I doubt it was DICE's idea to make hardline.

probably EA trying to annualize the franchise like cod.

Deadbeat

Banned
Because of the limited technology back then, war was much more brutal than what we have to day. Just look up some of the trench knives and clubs from the era. It's some Leatherface-looking shit.
Thats not because of tech, it was because they improvised what they could get on the line.

Tecnniqe

Banned

I wonder if they're going to do the microtransaction supported online route instead of a season pass.

Cosmetics over maps is a great way to keep the playerbase healthy and not split.

Of course we'll see the stupid battleboxes drop from the sky so who knows.

I am hype.

What's with people thinking the WW1 setting = boring game. This is a videogame, WW1 can be the theme without them staying 100% true to it.

That and the fact that there's a ton of interesting and intense battles in WW1. People honestly think they sat in trenches for 4 years and nothing happened? It was a World War. More than one theater, battle, etc. Do some research. Read. Something. People talking about how sad it is that they are glorifying this horrible conflict? It's sad how uneducated everyone is about this war. Maybe DICE can teach some people a thing or two.

I'm pretty sure it'll be straight WW1 14 to 18

Unless they have significant changes to history up there sleeves, which there's no evidence yet, it doesn't make sense to push it two years. There's no technological leap that would add weapons or vehicles to the game.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
callofstarshipduty.png

Call of Duty turned into Starship Troopers and Battlefield turned into The Order. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's a move away from paid mappacks/modes towards that kind of thing right now (halo, uncharted, Overwatch kind of etc) so it would make sense.

Compsiox

Banned
Combining every thread on the topic...okay.

I don't think thats really necessary. It seems really sloppy and unorganized. Should have just let some drift off the front page as more info came in.

I'd understand if they were the exact same and posted consecutively.

Loxley

Call of Duty turned into Starship Troopers and Battlefield turned into The Order. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's kind of funny when you look at how much a chunk of the Halo community flips their shit when any one little thing gets changed from game to game.

Surfinn

It's their branding. I could see that cover without the title and instantly know what it is.

This look/feel identifies a consumer with the franchise they have (I'm assuming) come to love. Calling it "lack of creativity" is pretty off-base. What they look for in a key-image is not something incredibly creative or amazing, they want something quickly identifiable to relate to consumers.

Look at the uncharted series and how those covers vary in both art and color. Something tells me they didn't lose sales post U1 because if it.

Plum

Honestly, it could just be a telling of how the war would've evolved if it didn't end the way it did. This gives DICE a chance to use more major European cities as a basis for maps and missions.

Yeah I'm placing my bets on this. It moves them away from the trappings of actual WW1 and Alternate-WW1 sounds a lot better in marketing than the other conflicts at that time. There's also a clearly American guy on the cover which makes it more possible.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
People can also recognize the brand from the word "Battlefield" strewn across the cover. Poor excuse for lack of creativity, IMO.
This look/feel identifies a consumer with the franchise they have (I'm assuming) come to love. Calling it "lack of creativity" is pretty off-base. What they look for in a key-image is not something incredibly creative or amazing, they want something quickly identifiable to relate to consumers.

Look at the uncharted series and how those covers vary in both art and color. Something tells me they didn't lose sales post U1 because if it.

all uncharted covers are incredibly similiar.

drake in dramatic pose / dangerous situation. uncharted logo large and featured

AYF 001

I get your point, but the devs names on the vehicles is a pretty good touch.
I thought I saw that, but I'm on mobile so I didn't wanna squint to see. But it looks like they're trying to keep their "man on fire" motif for the covers from now on (can't remember what hardline looks like).

Although I'm wondering if there's going to be some sort of ill-informed backlash against the cover since it appears they broke the "generic grizzled white guy" mold (mobile again, sorry if mistaken). But I'm still more interested in seeing the gameplay, because BF4 tried to be a lot more fast-paced (to my distaste), whereas WWI is most well known for the giant stalemates in Europe.

BBboy20

At first, I was adamant about this being an alt-WW1 since regular WW1 doesn't get enough representation but if this is, in the larger sense, the antithesis of the current trend of gaming (non-white character fronting what may not be a spin-off, displaying WW1 weaponry, looking swagger as all hell, not using the traditional numbering system), then I'll count it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom