• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Belgian Foreign Minister Dresses Up in Blackface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to say many of the claims weren't true, but there was a significant amount of embellishment as to the cruelty, like German soldiers throwing babies into the air and catching them on their bayonets, IIRC. But children did really get their hands cut off in the Belgian Congo for harvesting insufficient rubber, and the number of civilians killed by Belgian actions in the Congo was greater by several magnitudes as far as I'm aware.
And then they screwed the Congolese again by arranging the assassination of Patrice Lumumba. Belgiums history in the Congo is like something out of a horror story. It's Stalin-esque.

Chariot

Fuck him, and I mean atleast Republicans know enough to Dog Whistle.
Eh, you can't bring a political party of the USA in this. The countries of Europe have a lot less black people which means there is relatively little organized resistance against such things. Although things do get shaken up a bit and hopefully changed soon.
Tge very fact that we hear about it and the countroversy is already a good start.

And then they screwed the Congolese again by arranging the assassination of Patrice Lumumba. Belgiums history in the Congo is like something out of a horror story. It's Stalin-esque.
Every Europaen country is stained some way or the other. Thousands of years of blood soaked history leave no good resumes.

Do they just not give a fuck? What's the deal here. Is the black population there so small that they don't think it matters? Do they think it's for funsies?

So many questions. I'd like to hear from a Belgian person.

I can only speak for myself, and I actually don't give a fuck.

We're pretty jaded over here yo.

Dascu

Do they just not give a fuck? What's the deal here. Is the black population there so small that they don't think it matters? Do they think it's for funsies?

So many questions. I'd like to hear from a Belgian person.

Ignorance towards blackface as something inherently negative or racist. Same as with Zwarte Piet. It's traditions that started back in the old days where it was making fun of Africans, but nowadays it's completely removed from that and seen as harmless. We don't have a big enough black community to really speak up against it and raise awareness either.

bchamba

The Belgian foreign minister should

0f.jpg

TedNindo

Belgian here. Cultural context etc... etc...

Highly offensive in the US. Nobody gives any fucks in Belgium. Blackface is an unknown concept here. Black Pete, not as racially sensative yada yada yada.

I hadn't heard of this tradition until this year, but as someone with Congolese heritage, I'd prefer if they revamped this charity parade asap. This is apparently the third children's annual tradition this country has that involves blackface, and the origins all come from roughly the same time it seems. I get that colonialism felt a bit magical because it increased the scope of their known world, and inspired discovery and untapped potential. That might seem like a good idea to base things of back home, but it's well documented by now how stuff went down back in the actual colonies. When they forcefully booted Leopold the second off the throne, they should have changed these things right there and then when they were still disgusted and outraged. Right now we are stuck with people who have all sorts of fuzzy childhood feelings that reference a dark chapter in European and African history, but are both blind and ignorant on it.

G.ZZZ

I hadn't heard of this tradition until this year, but as someone with Congolese heritage, I'd prefer if they revamped this charity parade asap. This is apparently the third children's annual tradition this country has that involves blackface, and the origins all come from roughly the same time it seems. I get that colonialism felt a bit magical because it increased the scope of their known world, and inspired discovery and untapped potential. That might seem like a good idea to base things of back home, but it's well documented by now how stuff went down back in the actual colonies. When they forcefully booted Leopold the second off the throne, they should have changed these things right there and then when they were still disgusted and outraged. Right now we are stuck with people who have all sorts of fuzzy childhood feelings that reference a dark chapter in European and African history, but are both blind and ignorant on it.

Americans still celebrate Columbus Day... Nowadays those kinds of things are completely disconnected from their actual origins.

Skinpop

Fucking Belgium. Every time I see this country mentioned on here it's always about this same shit. Why do they have such an obsession with painting their skin black? This is the same country that has a fucking statue of one of the biggest mass murderers in history. Dude was so bad even other colonial governments thought he was crazy.
belgium has always been the worst of us. after all its the country of devil worship, pedophilia and cannibalism.

TalonJH

It doesn't even bother me anymore. It's their country, I guess. I just want to know why "Blackface" is always jet black. Even in american, It's always jet black. I don't know any black people that are actually...black in color.

Highly offensive in the US. Nobody gives any fucks in Belgium. Blackface is an unknown concept here. Black Pete, not as racially sensative yada yada yada.
I can't ever understand this. It doesn't even register in the back of minds that, maybe dressing up as an exaggerated caricature of black people would offend people?

Dascu

If it's not a caricature of black people then what is it?

Oh, it is a caricature of black people. But it's not recognized as that anymore. Basically we have forgotten the origin of it and the vast majority of people think it's just people dressed funny with black make-up. Same with Zwarte Piet (where the black make-up is thought to be soot from climbing chimneys).

No, but 'Religion class' in Belgium is just about as far removed from religion as possible. It's general philosophy that looks at morality and belief choices all over the world. We are still the most atheist 'Catholic' country in the world.

It's not seen as an exaggerated caricature of black people.
The underlined and bolded part of the OP says otherwise, though.

Oh, it is a caricature of black people. But it's not recognized as that anymore. Basically we have forgotten the origin of it and the vast majority of people think it's just people dressed funny with black make-up. Same with Zwarte Piet (where the black make-up is thought to be soot from climbing chimneys).
That seems even worse...

Dascu

The underlined and bolded part of the OP says otherwise, though.

Alright alright, let me rephrase: The majority does not recognize it as a racist charicature. There was even a statement by the Anti-racism director here in support of this tradition, saying that it has lost all racist connotation and meaning.

I'm not saying I agree with that, and I do believe that they should get rid of it, because it clearly is insulting.

Please don't misunderstand, I was just replying to your original question why people do not react to a racist caricature. The answer is that most people do not realize it is a racist caricature in the first place.

Oersted

Receipts? And dude, unawareness is always part of the problem.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
While we're on the subject, what do you all think about the film White Chicks?

White_chicks.jpg

Is it the same thing? Is it different?

Sounds like Belgium alright. Closet racism is a huge thing here. I can't believe how many times I've heard the I'm not racist but... uttered by people over here. Even if they're not racist on purpose they'll be racist assholes out of sheer idiocy. Furthermore the average Belgian probably either doesn't know shit about the atrocities commited in congo or will have a very dismissive attitude about it.

PJV3

That is the context here, yes. The paint is some sort of traditional morris dancing thing. I don't know the origin,

Actually, looking into it there are possible links to racism, moorish dancing, to go niggering etc. At least I have a logical reason for hating the cunts now.

Alright alright, let me rephrase: The majority does not recognize it as a racist charicature. There was even a statement by the Anti-racism director here in support of this tradition, saying that it has lost all racist connotation and meaning.

I'm not saying I agree with that, and I do believe that they should get rid of it, because it clearly is insulting.

Please don't misunderstand, I was just replying to your original question why people do not react to a racist caricature. The answer is that most people do not realize it is a racist caricature in the first place.
I never said that you fall under the categories that I am arguing against, and I am glad that you do not agree with that stuff.

It is unfortunate that the history of it all is lost, though. A real shame in this day and age.

Is it the same thing? Is it different?
I'll humor you.

“In other civilised countries his political career wouldn’t survive this, but in Belgium he just continues,” she tweeting, adding that: “Nothing’s changed since the days of Leopold.”

She was referring to Belgium’s King Leopold II, who plundered the Congo for more than two decades, running it as his own private factory to produce rubber until 1908, when he was forced to give up control. Millions of Congolese are believed to have died under his rule. The Noirauds association was established in 1876 and their costumes were inspired by the exploration of Africa at the time.
No. It isn't the same.

jimi_dini

And what about this guy doing blackface?

Bpwew2cm.jpg

I'm pretty sure I even saw this being used as an avatar on GAF. Why is this blackface okay? Because it's supposed to be funny? I mean this is even an actor from US for christ's sake.

leadbelly

Banned
It doesn't even bother me anymore. It's their country, I guess. I just want to know why "Blackface" is always jet black. Even in american, It's always jet black. I don't know any black people that are actually...black in color.

Well, there are black people in Africa that are extremely dark. Not black, but close to black.

Vitten

Sounds like Belgium alright. Closet racism is a huge thing here. I can't believe how many times I've heard the I'm not racist but... uttered by people over here. Even if they're not racist on purpose they'll be racist assholes out of sheer idiocy. Furthermore the average Belgian probably either doesn't know shit about the atrocities commited in congo or will have a very dismissive attitude about it.

I dunno, I've never felt much racism here in Belgium against black people. Most of the racism here seems geared towards Islam and the Muslim community as in almost every other European country.

Didier Reynders certainly isn't a racist: he often goes to Congo to oversee help and charity programs and he's not even afraid to citicise Kabila's undemocratic regime.
Guess he just hasn't kept up with the times and the growing worldwide awareness and criticism against local traditions that other cultures find offensive and before the arrival of the internet, nobody in Europe gave two shits about.

Enzom21

Bpwew2cm.jpg

I'm pretty sure I even saw this being used as an avatar on GAF. Why is this blackface okay? Because it's supposed to be funny? I mean this is even an actor from US for christ's sake.
You're not really this dense right? Did you even watch the movie?! It is satire. It's also not blackface.

TedNindo

I can't ever understand this. It doesn't even register in the back of minds that, maybe dressing up as an exaggerated caricature of black people would offend people?

Honestly. There will be more said around here about the fact that ran around looking like a complete idiot than the black paint on his face.

Abounder

Banned

Nobody cares in Belgium? You don't say:

BjVyx4GCIAEA14B.png

It is already a big step that De Morgen has apologized. But an apology is just the beginning. De Morgen isn't racist. What is racist is the society that enables acts of racism to thrive with impunity

Black people in Belgium have no political voice, no economic voice, so in a way society forgets that we exist #Belgium

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...barack-president-racism-racist_n_5020987.html

G.ZZZ

Disgusting. Any other normal country and he'd be fired the very next day.

Get your shit together Belgium.

Umh no? Only america and canada maybe. Here in europe you see those kind of things regularly and no one ever gave a shit before the internets.

EDIT: same with asian countries. But whatever float your worldviews guys. Continue celebrating columbus day.

That's kind of alarming, given their history with the Congalese up until a century ago. I'm thinking they might be subbing out that part in their history classes...

Slayven

Bpwew2cm.jpg

You didn't watch the movie did you?

SURGEdude

Umh no? Only america and canada maybe. Here in europe you see those kind of things regularly and no one ever gave a shit before the internets.

EDIT: same with asian countries. But whatever float your worldviews guys. Continue celebrating columbus day.

You say that like it's a good thing.

studyguy

Claim "No one cares in this country" guys and just ignore the fact that there were people mentioned in the story itself criticizing the guy from within Belgium? Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom