• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Bang Mini - DS Touch Shmup Thread [Caution: Big Bang Mini may create happiness.]

antispin

zigg said:
Are you serious about the manual? I'm normally pretty picky about stuff like that (and actually, now that I think about it, there might have been one or two minor slights to the English language in there) but it ranks right up there with one of my favorite game manuals.

You are right, it's a good read but I can be quite anal about these things. You know how that is, I imagine...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's not a matter of being anal. The manual has a good number of very clear fuck-ups. Any decent sort of editor would have caught them.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Does anyone else find the one-hit death thing a little harsh?

Especially in a game where you're flicking your stylus in close proximity to your ship which you can accidently move?

Edit: Good fun though! After MOON, I think me and Mejilan have similar DS tastes, but he manages to stick with them longer than me.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Huh just learned it's a french game... Should buy it along with Soul Bubble.

Gameplay looks really nice and the sound design is the kind of stuff I like.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
ah, another hidden gem like Soul Bubbles. I like it so far, only played a bit - on world 2. Can someone tell me... does each stage have a new mechanic like how world two has this swirling whirlwind defense thing?

zigg

Absolutely. Not every one has a new gesture (though there are several), but there is something new going on in every world.

Samuray

Quick question: I was about to order it from an online retailer in Canada, but do all versions of this game have the lenticular packaging, even the Canadian ones? Or is there a chance I might get one with a normal cover?

I did ask the shop but they won't answer.

Mejilan

Extollere said:
ah, another hidden gem like Soul Bubbles. I like it so far, only played a bit - on world 2. Can someone tell me... does each stage have a new mechanic like how world two has this swirling whirlwind defense thing?

Yep, some worlds have gimmicks that only work for those stages, some add permanent upgrades that carry through the rest of the game. Good stuff!

Samuray said:
Quick question: I was about to order it from an online retailer in Canada, but do all versions of this game have the lenticular packaging, even the Canadian ones? Or is there a chance I might get one with a normal cover?

The UK version didn't have a lenticular cover.

fushi

fushi said:
My copy from vg+ shipped on the 21st already, so I'll probably be playing it next week. Can't wait!
It never arrived. Nor does videogamesplus respond to any information requests made about the game.

:(

fushi

Eteric Rice said:
Uh oh.

Sounds like you might have gotten scammed.
Naw, they've been good to me for several years now (done 10+ orders with them). But not even getting a response about the game pisses me off, so I probably won't use them anymore, nor will I recommend them to others.

I suppose I'll get it from somewhere else, P-A or NCSX. Good to know that only the US versions have that special cover.

Samuray

fushi said:
It never arrived. Nor does videogamesplus respond to any information requests made about the game.

:(

VG+ is actually the retailer I was talking about, the one who isn't answering my inquiries about "Big Bang's" cover being lenticular.

So if I were to order it there, what cover would Iget? Buying from an UK shop is off the table now, obviously.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Samuray said:

the canadian version does _not_ have the lenticular cover.

Samuray

This is so great -- Arkedo contacted my via PM after reading my messages here and offered to send me the lenticular cover free of charge....just had to send a mail to info@arkedo.com, and so can anyone who just got the run-of-the-mill standard cover.

Now that's what I call exemplary customer service. Many thanks to France!

Mejilan

Samuray said:
This is so great -- Arkedo contacted my via PM after reading my messages here and offered to send me the lenticular cover free of charge....just had to send a mail to info@arkedo.com, and so can anyone who just got the run-of-the-mill standard cover.

That's pretty awesome. It makes me feel all warm and gushy supporting this kind of company. Shame that I can't find Nervous Brickdown ANYWHERE in the US, brand new. I'd love to +1 sales that game.

Samuray said:

So he's still doing that! Great! My lenticular box of awesome arrived within three days!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
This game makes me realize how much fun a top down shooter could be for the DS (stylus controlled). Game is pretty dope, although I fucking hated the 3rd world...wtf is this shit clouds blocking me and walls closing in! Then Luxor...such a perfect world, and then getting the charge shot to blast through those fuck clouds!! so rewarding. I hate those clouds! And I hate those goddam fish in New York almost threw my DS at the wall!

I've had most everything cleared for a while, but it really is a pity that most of the modes are locked away. With a lot of the fun stuff shoved in the back I can see how a few of the previews/reviews are a bit negative.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Bought it. This game is pretty awesome! Currently at the last world, I love the pace change all throughout the game. Looking forward to unlocking more stuff!

It sucks though that the lenticular cover (couverture gif animée comme dit dans le reportage sur Nolife ;-) ) is not available in France. There's not enough Paris stages or locale in videogames! Thanks to Arkedo for filling part of that blank!

I got this yesterday and I'm almost done with world 4. Now I feel vaguely dissatisfied with my life whenever I'm not playing it. Is Nervous Brickdown almost half as awesome as this game? 'Cause I think I need to get that one too.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Finished the game and I have to say I'm phenomenally impressed overall. The Paris level was amazing, and the
final boss battles were so damn hilarious, and fun to boot... airplane, laser! GIANT ARM!!
:lol really wasn't expecting that at all, and then you
fight the goddam GAME OVER block letters!?
:O That was a surprising moment that I dropped my jaw in excitement!

Oh and I dunno if anyone has mentioned this, but sometime during the game I encountered a random retro level. Upon starting a level (somewhere halfway through) I was taken to a different random retro zone, but this caught me off guard and died almost right away, then I sign came up saying "we may never meet again" lol.. this happen to anyone else?? Wonder what the odds are, or what that was all about.

zigg

Extollere said:
Oh and I dunno if anyone has mentioned this, but sometime during the game I encountered a random retro level. Upon starting a level (somewhere halfway through) I was taken to a different random retro zone, but this caught me off guard and died almost right away, then I sign came up saying "we may never meet again" lol.. this happen to anyone else?? Wonder what the odds are, or what that was all about.

Yup, the retro zone... it is indeed random; I didn't get mine till Paris. But I did get it—once. It was pretty cool. :) I think someone once said the odds were 1 in 500? Some early preview?

zigg

Mejilan said:
I only ever got 1 retro zone... :(

Maybe that's the game's way of saying "play me again in my entirety". :lol

(Which I might do, sometime. That sometime is not now.)

Ikael

I love, love this game to bits, but I have two major grips with it: some of the levels, or better yet, some of its level specific mechanics are insufferable.

The Savanah "solar rays" are good idea but they overlap with the yellow shots, making the screen a mess.

And the Abysss... why does the last world has to have the most stupid idea in the whole game? The submarine mines make these levels slowwwww and boring as hell as the whole point of thee game is nullified (shoot at things, avoid being shot) in favour of "shoot with caution and as a pussy." Lame beyond belief.

But aside from that, holy crap, does this game rule. The New York and Paris levels are full of style and awesome, and the shooting mechanic is way better than the regular shump one as it let you shoot from every single position and angle possible without affecting your "spaceship". Another small jewel in the DS library, yes sir.

zigg

Pfft, I loved both of those worlds. Especially the change-up with the bombs, making me reevaluate my strategy and all.

Anyway, I asked about the retro zone, the actual odds are 1:250 and there's no Konami-code-type thing to get it. The coder who did the Vs. and Relax modes had never seen it, yet when it was taken to a press event in SF it came up four times. Totally random.

lyre

Finally beat the main game mode of this fucking game (love that B.O.S.S. fight) and now challenge number 5 has stumped me. It's the 'clear the stage within 25 shots' one and short of sending a shot pass a colour changing cloud and hope it hits the respective colour enemy, as well as using the homing shot to blow up the laser armed shark, I have no clue how to continue on.

But the game is definitely enjoyable and I can see myself replaying random worlds; except for Rio de Janeiro cause the bonus area there is a pain in the ass.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
i was at walmart today and something nudged me to look into the discount bin - you know, the large bins where games get dumped as if they were in a bulldozer-operated land-fill, and where the chances to see something interesting on the surface are fairly slim.

so, in one on those forsaken bins there it was - the lenticular-edition-box big bang mini, smiling at me. well, i smiled back, and took it with me to a safe place : )

ps: in case the context was not clear, the above took place in canada - i don't think we ever got the lenticular edition here, officially.

Just got this today and I gotta say this game does create happiness. I'm up to the third part and I can't finish the "bonus level" at the end, too slow. I'm going to be screwed going forward. :lol

Mejilan

Not really. The bonus stage gimmicks are pretty varied, and some are almost arbitrarily tougher than others.

Top Bottom