• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard is pushing to release Diablo III this year

DOO13ER said:
It really is kind of ridiculous, these 12 year development cycles. I know Blizzard has been busy with... WoW... all this time but the gamers that grew up with Diablo have married, had kids and probably don't have much time for games anymore.

They don't have time for games because Diablo 3 isn't out yet.

I need to plan ahead and find something for my girlfriend to do while I play. I doubt she could do Gilmore Girls marathons again

Ultratech

This year???

lol, it ain't happening.

Maybe Spring 2012 at the earliest, but I'd be amazed if it came out this year and wasn't a complete mess.

tokra2003

Banned
TenshiOni said:
Not sure if this is common knowledge but Blizzard just wrote on their Facebook wall that you're going to have to agree to wanting beta access via the Battle.net website if you want to get into the D3 beta.

Just follow the instructions here if you didn't know: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27822632904&sid=3000

Yah thats the basic info for sign up for the beta. Nothing new except the fact the version of the system check

Arcblade

Banned
Considering the fact that Blizzard did a complete overhaul of the game mechanics, incorporating such console style nuances as unkillable mercs and setting a limit to the number of skills available at any given moment to a number that would accommodate such a control...err STYLE OF PLAY, making stats auto-level, and, as of the latest build, ELIMINATING SKILL POINTS AND THUS BUILDS ALTOGETHER, effectively turning it into more of a Zelda game than a PC ARPG, the title ought to read:

Blizzard is pushing to release Diablo III this year (who cares?)

Curufinwe

TenshiOni said:
Not sure if this is common knowledge but Blizzard just wrote on their Facebook wall that you're going to have to agree to wanting beta access via the Battle.net website if you want to get into the D3 beta.

Just follow the instructions here if you didn't know: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27822632904&sid=3000

I just signed up to Battle.net but you have to own a full version of a Blizzard game to be eligible for Beta access so my account will just lay dormant until Diablo 3 comes out.

Arcblade said:
Considering the fact that Blizzard did a complete overhaul of the game mechanics, incorporating such console style nuances as unkillable mercs and setting a limit to the number of skills available at any given moment to a number that would accommodate such a control...err STYLE OF PLAY, making stats auto-level, and, as of the latest build, ELIMINATING SKILL POINTS AND THUS BUILDS ALTOGETHER, effectively turning it into more of a Zelda game than a PC ARPG, the title ought to read:

damn, such misinformation/ignorance :eek: smh

Arcblade

Banned
So everyone here but me is totally good with Blizzard eliminating builds?

The idea of having every single skill class skill available to everyone of that class at the same level of power given they are equal character level, at any given time, is your kind of ARPG?

Because with that, the magic of Diablo died, to me.

Tremis

This man does his research.
I'm not okay with free respecs, that's for sure, which is what they seem to be toying with. I like being forced to make hard choices for character identity. Hopefully they are keeping this in mind.

Loto

Arcblade said:

The idea of having every single skill class skill available to everyone of that class at the same level of power given they are equal character level, at any given time, is your kind of ARPG?

Yes, I love all the changes Blizzard has made. Its a new game, glad they are changing things up. Art direction is amazing, and I'm sure it will be fun as hell to play.

Arcblade said:
No misinformation.

There are no skill choices.

You are not set with a build - everyone who is a certain class that is of a level IS the the exact same, skill-wise.

They eliminated builds.

The only ignorance was yours, evidently... sad to enlighten you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqjhaCheahM

Nah.. at certain levels you will unlock a new slot for your skills. Then you can choose a skill from that tier. Whatever you choose is up to you. Obviously not everyone will pick the same skills so idk why you think there are no skill choices.

Reason they removed skill points was because it led to people dumping points onto one or two skills which is exactly the sort of thing they wanted to get away from since the beginning. They want you to actually use all of those skills and not just have 1 skill that is actually good and a bunch of other one point wonders.

There are a bunch of interviews with Jay Wilson talking about what I mentioned. Read up and stop spreading bullshit.

Valnen

Arcblade said:

Did you play past Diablo games and comprehend why they made those changes to begin with? Because if you did you'd realize that Diablo 3 will have MORE character customization and deeper combat than Diablo 2 EVER did.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Arcblade said:
No misinformation.

You are not set with a build - everyone who is a certain class that is of a level IS the exact same, skill-wise.

They eliminated builds.

LOL who is this guy?

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
perfectnight said:
Reason they removed skill points was because it led to people dumping points onto one or two skills which is exactly the sort of thing they wanted to get away from since the beginning. They want you to actually use all of those skills and not just have 1 skill that is actually good and a bunch of other one point wonders.

I'm actually down with this. I kind of hated how toward the end of a hell run you pretty much had to focus on jacking up one or two skills exclusively and spam the piss out of them to finish the game. Don't even get me started on PvP. Whirlwind barbs, frozen orb sorcs, ugh...

The more character skills that don't become useless halfway through the game, the better.

Rad-

CarbonatedFalcon said:
A console release is NOT going to happen concurrently with a PC/Mac release. It's still something they're "exploring" and nothing may ever come of it. I wouldn't even expect an official announcement of a console version until after the game releases on PC/Mac.

It is def happening, job openings on their homepage kind of spoil the surprise. But yeah, I doubt it's a same time release for PC and consoles. 6-12 months later I'd guess.

Instro

Arcblade said:
No misinformation.

You are not set with a build - everyone who is a certain class that is of a level IS the exact same, skill-wise.

They eliminated builds.

Uh D2 style building was dead without synergies anyway. Secondly all skills points do is limit your character to being a one trick pony who has 1-2 super powered skills, meanwhile everything else is useless and or left in the dust. All this does is lead to a lack of depth within the combat.

If the most recent footage is indicative of (at least graphically) what we'll get then they need to leave this in the oven for another year.

Valnen

Psychotext said:
If the most recent footage is indicative of (at least graphically) what we'll get then they need to leave this in the oven for another year.
They won't be increasing the graphics. They're good enough and they'll run and many many systems.

The skill system was terrible in Diablo II and i'm glad as hell they are moving away from the "lol you have 2 points too many in this one skill, your character is gimped!" crap. Also a lot of people keep ignoring the skill runes which opens up a ton of builds as well as gear stats, etc having effect on the skills. If I recall, attack effects magic damage this time around so casters won't be doing full damage in magic find gear so that's more to think about.

So for character diversity there are

Skill combos

Skill runes

Gear that has more meaning then in Diablo II like my example above

Also cosmetic stuff like the dye system and drastically different looking armor sets so there should actually be quite a bit of diversity in character look on top of the play style.

So all this crap about everyone being exactly the same is stupid. There will be much more variety on all fronts then what Diablo II offered.

a176

Banned
Psychotext said:

No kidding. When I saw that laser beam cannon thing from the wizard and like ... it lights up nothing. wtf is up with that. Remember the old sorcerer's fireball? that shit was crazy.

Ulchie

Banned
Zzoram said:
TOR is an MMO, playing from launch isn't as big a deal, launch MMOs are often sorely lacking in end game content and start very buggy so it's often a better experience to join a year later.

Play Diablo 3 from launch and you could make your money back.
It's a little different with SWTOR though. With the story involved, I'm a little afraid of the ubiquity of story spoilers if you wait a year. Although if you think about it, I imagine more people are going to be around shouting out endings and such in the beginning. After a year nobody will care...hmm...

http://www.mac-gamer.com/history/mac-gamer.com/3/features/bnetbig2.gif

We have a brown barb with a stick, a brown barb with a large sword, a brown barb with a large stick, a necromancer with a bone helm and white armor, a brown barb with a stick with a rock on top, a brown barb with a stick with a blade on top, and two more necromancers with bone helms and white armor.

As for the skills? I'm willing to wager we have such greats as Whirlwind, some more whirlwind, and raise skeleton. Shit, you're right, no one used the same stuff in D2.

Something something rose-tinted glasses. Customization comes in many forms.

Edit -

Not to mention the last few years of having 20 of these per channel
http://i50.tinypic.com/5jz6nr.gif

Rad- said:
It is def happening, job openings on their homepage kind of spoil the surprise. But yeah, I doubt it's a same time release for PC and consoles. 6-12 months later I'd guess.

They have had similar postings for WoW before. It's definitely more likely with Diablo though if they decide they can make it work without compromising quality (as much was said from the recent interviews), especially after Torchlight had a successful transition to XBLA. You couldn't say with absolute certainty at this point though. Again, not a chance of a concurrent release - we would have seen a build of it by now if that was the case.

mysteriousmage09 said:
The skill system was terrible in Diablo II and i'm glad as hell they are moving away from the "lol you have 2 points too many in this one skill, your character is gimped!" crap. Also a lot of people keep ignoring the skill runes which opens up a ton of builds as well as gear stats, etc having effect on the skills. If I recall, attack effects magic damage this time around so casters won't be doing full damage in magic find gear so that's more to think about.

So for character diversity there are

Skill combos

Skill runes

Gear that has more meaning then in Diablo II like my example above

Also cosmetic stuff like the dye system and drastically different looking armor sets so there should actually be quite a bit of diversity in character look on top of the play style.

So all this crap about everyone being exactly the same is stupid. There will be much more variety on all fronts then what Diablo II offered.

The thing about the runes in the current form (not the system proposed by Jay Wilson in the recent interview, but I'll get to that) is that once you have 30 level 7 runes, that would be all you need for an individual character. 6 of each of the 5 rune types for your active skills gives you access to every possible setup (unless passives can also be socketed, which would increase the amount needed to 45.) Now there are a lot of possible rune combinations this way, don't get me wrong, but you wouldn't ever need more than 30 to be able to have all your skills use one type of rune, or have any combination.

The proposed system definitely improves the variety with random affixes that would make runes more of a commodity and drive the market. Without explaining they system entirely (go watch the video or read the transcript!), I think it's headed in a better direction, but there are some possible modifications that would improve it.

When all runes are "unattuned" or colorless, even knowing the level, it's just too random, especially when combined with random affixes. I don't want to be popping in a rune hoping to get the effect I want, while also hoping to get a good affix on it.

What I think would be nice is having both colorless and colored runes, but having the colorless ones be more common, and the colored ones be relatively rare to offset the safety of knowing what you're getting. So you could still end up getting what you wanted, but it would cost more in time/gold/runes. So it's kind of a gamble - do you go the safer route with the predictable, but rarer rune? Or do you roll the die on a slightly cheaper rune and hope you get something usable?

In addition to this, to make the system more interesting, the colorless runes could have the (low) possibility of having slightly better affixes than the predefined runes. So to get the best of the best, you would have to burn through a ton of runes. The system could be tweaked in various ways, but the bottom line is that it would serve to increase the depth of the game and increase the value of runes which would be beneficial to the health of the game's economy.

I sincerely hope Blizzard ends up running a system with my first suggested change, if not my second as well - that in combination with having runes locked to specific skills would be much better than the current (old) implementation going from 30 runes necessary to cap out to close to 100* (and finding the perfect affixes for them all.)

*Roughly 20 skills x 5 runes for each skill.

Activision needs product to ship. Having Axed Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, that open world game, DJ Hero, etc. . . . they need product.

speculawyer said:
Activision needs product to ship. Having Axed Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, that open world game, DJ Hero, etc. . . . they need product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPS9YKGaKQE

it's about product. yeah. we got the best goddamn product so we gonna sell no matter where we are, right? product motherfuckers, product.

0.jpg

lordy88

speculawyer said:

Like the consistent revenue from WoW, and MW3?

SamuraiX-

I honestly don't understand how anyone could object to dropping skill points after they take a moment to really think about.

Skill point allocation was fun in the beginning in Diablo II, but then when you realize your character is considered gimped if you don't allocate your points "correctly" from Lv1, the entire game loses half of its charm. The other half, loot, felt pointless after a while too when you realize most people were just purchasing from RMTs or glitching all their loot.

For those still against it, I recommend these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVTVMqtmxPU

clashfan

Do you think the could split up the game like Starcraft so they can finish it off quicker? A separate game for each character?

blah, new system check is showing the wrong gpu memory - 256MB instead of 1GB! oh well, besides that, its fine.

PLEASE start the beta soon!!!!! i got into the war3x and sc2 betas, so i have a good feeling about d3...

Arcblade

Banned
perfectnight said:
Nah.. at certain levels you will unlock a new slot for your skills. Then you can choose a skill from that tier. Whatever you choose is up to you. Obviously not everyone will pick the same skills so idk why you think there are no skill choices.

There are a bunch of interviews with Jay Wilson talking about what I mentioned. Read up and stop spreading bullshit.

If you enjoy deluding yourself into liking the game half so well as you have deluded yourself about the changes, then you'll be one happy lil' camper.

But everyone gets all of the same skills - they can set them up differently, choose which ones to use, but it's still the same thing for everyone, and it's still nonsense.

Do you have any comprehension whatsoever?

You get to choose six skills to use at any one time.

You get to switch them out any time.

BUT YOU HAVE ACCESS TO ALL OF THEM.

So everyone gets every ability.

Which is hot wet garbage.

Why don't YOU stop spreading the bullshit?

Arcblade said:
If you enjoy deluding yourself into liking the game half so well as you have deluded yourself about the changes, then you'll be one happy lil' camper.

But everyone gets all of the same skills - they can set them up differently, choose which ones to use, but it's still the same thing for everyone, and it's still nonsense.

You're talking complete shit. It's bad enough that you are making these grossly misinformed posts but you don't have to be a complete dick about it.

Slightly off topic but I figure it's better than arguing with someone who doesn't understand how the game mechanics work. I've always wondered, and I'm sure someone from BlizzardGAF can tell me:

Do Diablo, Warcraft, and Starcraft take place in the same universe at all?

nbraun80

Arcblade said:

those are some angry bullet-point statements.

I don't know why you want to be set into a build. In D2 you chose to either be something like a bowzon or javzon, and if you thought about trying the other option you'd have to grind through another 50+ levels. Now if you have leeway to experience all of the possible skills, It's not like there was great variation in D2, like I said it was either bowzon or javzon.

Arcblade said:

You still have builds, with runes. That's one of their goals; warrior wizard vs teleport wizard vs. beam wizard etc. Go read the long-ass Jay Wilson interview. There are 6 runes per skill and 20 active skills, and I think 7 rarity levels per rune. To swap out you'll have to get more runes.

I agree with you on one thing, though, I would prefer to have a skill-tree system. Not the 1.10 synergy stupidity though that ruined the fun of builds.

Valnen

secretanchitman said:
blah, new system check is showing the wrong gpu memory - 256MB instead of 1GB! oh well, besides that, its fine.

PLEASE start the beta soon!!!!! i got into the war3x and sc2 betas, so i have a good feeling about d3...
System check seems kinda weird, especially when it comes to connection speed. On speedtest.net I get ~20ish MBPS, but I get...1.5ish on my beta profile.

Valnen

Arcblade said:
You would with a point system that allowed respecs too.

You can't switch them in the field.

You don't seem to understand, most people would only max ~4 skills at the most with the old system. That is worse than the new system in which you get to use 6 skills. You need to listen to what Blizzard is saying...

Top Bottom