• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard is pushing to release Diablo III this year

Lothars

ntropy said:
if buy this game, you are a sheep! and a consumer whore!
lol that's funny, so why is someone sheep for buying the game? is it because I think it will be great game that I know I will be putting many hours into?

FinKL

I care about beta release date more than actual release. Id rather be playing something than nothing. And if they're pushing for release this year beta needs to come out now

TheKurgan

I would actually prefer Diablo III to slip into January or February 2011. MW3, Battlefield3, Skyrim, Forza 4, Saints Row 3, and Uncharted 3 is way more than enough for me this year.

I would still like to get into the beta though... =)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Lothars said:
It's gonna happen, it will be out this year.

We need two huge camps, one of them who thinks it'll come out this year and those who don't. The losing group buys d3 for the other group.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Corky said:
We need two huge camps, one of them who thinks it'll come out this year and those who don't. The losing group buys d3 for the other group.
What should we do with all the copies? We'll have like 20 each.

V_Arnold

Oh, this game was awesome to play when people predicted that WOTLK will be late and pushed back. Same for Cataclysm, same for SCII.

Blizzard has been aiming at Q4 2011 for almost more than half-3/4 year now. They only do ONE release date announcement, and that will happen in either gamescom, or blizzcon. And when they say 2011.12.XX or WORST CASE scenario (as they have been communicating it constantly) 2012.01.XX or 2012.02.XX, people will still play the "no, it is not going to get releases, liek ever" card.

It is not those days anymore.

Soule

Why's everyone so adamant it's not coming out this year? I mean I wasn't expecting it this year personally but I never felt that it was absurd or out of the realm of possibility and the overwhelming and confident responses of people almost laughing off the suggestion of this year makes me feel like I must've missed something..?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Soule said:
Why's everyone so adamant it's not coming out this year? I mean I wasn't expecting it this year personally but I never felt that it was absurd or out of the realm of possibility and the overwhelming and confident responses of people almost laughing off the suggestion of this year makes me feel like I must've missed something..?
Painraze said:
No way is D3 coming out this year. It's August, the beta hasn't started yet, the paid AH is untested and they'll have little time to ramp up a marketing campaign in the midst of a gigantic fall release schedule from other publishers. It's going to be 2012.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yoshichan said:
I almost, almost want to PM a mod for a ban bet that Diablo III won't come out this year (as in before 31th December).

I didn't think ban bets were still sanctioned? The last one I can recall was years ago and I've since seen a lot of ban bet requests just fall on seemingly deaf ears.

Atrophis

Sure it could be released this year. Just knock off the last couple of acts and release them six months later in a content patch. Works for WoW!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Soule said:
Why's everyone so adamant it's not coming out this year?
Because they have no time frame for completion, and it's Blizzard.

There is even less incentive to push it out this year after how strong Actiblizzard's Q2 was.

Mulligan

Banned
I don't get the people saying 'no way' and 'won't happen'. i'd say the odds of a release this year are extremely favourable. beta testing will be right around the corner now, i'd say sept at the latest. now baring in mind this beta is only 60-90mins long and is being used as a server stress test it's not going to last that long. on top of that we have SWTOR looking very likely to releae this year and blizz are going to want to steal their thunder, especially with no WoW expansion anytime soon. Release date announcement at blizcon in oct for a december release date seems the most logical outcome to me..

Instro

Painraze said:
No way is D3 coming out this year. It's August, the beta hasn't started yet, the paid AH is untested and they'll have little time to ramp up a marketing campaign in the midst of a gigantic fall release schedule from other publishers. It's going to be 2012.
Depends how soon the beta starts. The game won't need nearly as much balancing as something like SC2 so it should be a shorter beta. As for the auction house, they could very well launch without it and patch it in a little later down the road.

I don't think it will make it, but it can certainly be done.

Zzoram

Diablo 3 won't need to be beta tested as long as SC2 was because there is no e-sport dependent on the balance of the game.

Zzoram

898 said:
Slightly OT but why isn't anyone talking about free SC2 multiplayer (Starcraft 2 Starter edition). Isn't this the main draw of SC2? What is the drawback from the multiplayer side which is what everyone wants?
https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/

It's basically an online demo. You can only play Terran, only on a limited selection of maps, no matchmaking and no ladder and you can't play as the other races.

It's the same kind of demo they had with Starcraft 1 Spawn Edition

I said this in another thread but there really isn't alot that needs testing, balance is nowhere near as important as SC2 or WoW, Bnet 2 has already been running for a year, Auction house has been in WoW for years (it's different yes but not like they are starting from scratch).

Whats left? stress test and find out if theres any hardware setups that crash the game?

ntropy said:
if buy this game, you are a sheep! and a consumer whore!

I know, it's exciting isn't it?

I for one wait with baited breath. But I'm cynical and jaded, so I'm going to assume next year. I still have plenty of games to keep me busy.

JesseZao

Probably the closest to being finished thing they have to keep attention away from SWTOR. Not like they can get another content patch out this year...(unless they secretly developed two at the same time and that's why the last one took so long).

Bring it on Blizzard! I'm guessing the timing will be similar to that of the WoW expansions. As to when it releases. So December sometime must be where they're aiming.

Lothars

RustyNails said:
People who think it will release this year are unaccustomed to the ways of Blizzard.
People who think that it won't be out this year are ignoring all the signs that it will be.

This news is just the next step of the typical blue-ball Blizzard hype machine. They'll want anticipation at a fever pitch, as usual, and cockteasing the possibility of releasing this year is all part of the plan. They'll want this in direct competition with SW:TOR and that ain't coming this year either, methinks.

No chance. I might have a sliver of hope if the beta invites had at least started going out on the first.

Xater

I believe it once the game is through beta and has a solid date. Otherwise this game is still 2012 for me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This year just doesn't seem likely. I know the beta won't need to be as long as Starcraft's, but we've only got a few months left in this year. I don't think Activision wants to release this in November where MW3 is, and December is just a weird month. I think January is likely, though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Do it, Blizzard. Show you can. I'm fucking ready.

Top Bottom