• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•19-21•16 - Bomba-Herp(derp) trampled as Squad slip by the dogs of war

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

TEATeu4.jpg
BqZJ33J.jpg
kkRGLzP.jpg
Blf57nt.jpg
Fp8Nhtl.jpg

tomatometer:
XsJrh.gif
26% Suicide Squad
9wcOG.gif
82% Sausage Party
8mB0Q.gif
58% War Dogs
8vteV.gif
96% Kubo and the Two Strings
5f4ew.gif
29% Ben-Hur (2016)

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Ben-Hur’ Flops With $11.4 Million, ‘Suicide Squad’ Still on Top

“Ben-Hur” derailed spectacularly at the multiplexes, as the latest attempt to revive the chariot racing epic opened to an anemic $11.4 million. That’s a disastrous result for the $100 million production, putting “Ben-Hur” in the ranks of the summer’s biggest flops.

Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer and Paramount co-produced the remake of Lew Wallace’s novel “Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ”; the book was the basis for the 1959 blockbuster that followed Charlton Heston into the arena. Here Jack Huston took the reins as a Jewish prince who must exact his revenge after his adopted brother (Toby Kebbell) betrays him.

“This is the bomb of the summer,” said Jeff Bock, a box office analyst with Exhibitor Relations. “They went big and they went home.”

Although MGM put up more of the money for the film, its failure will be felt at Paramount. The studio has had a bad streak at the box office, fielding duds such as “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” and “Zoolander 2,” while its parent company Viacom has been engulfed in an epic corporate struggle pitting CEO Philippe Dauman over the Redstone family, its controlling stake holders. That issue, at least, has been resolved, as Viacom announced this weekend that Dauman was stepping down from atop the media company and will be replaced on an interim basis by COO Thomas Dooley.

“Ben-Hur’s” backers aggressively courted the Christian community, doing outreach to pastors and holding taste-maker screenings for religious leaders. The studios also hoped that producers Mark Burnett and Roma Downey, who earned devout points with “Son of God” and the mini-series “The Bible,” would help them turn out values audiences. Instead, “Ben-Hur” trailed the $47 million debut of “Noah” and the $24 million launch of “Exodus: Gods and Kings,” two recent Biblical epics that lacked a heavenly touch.

With “Ben-Hur” faltering, “Suicide Squad” managed to snag first place for the third consecutive weekend. The story of a band of super villains netted $20.7 million, pushing its domestic total to $262.3 million. Not adjusted for inflation, the film is the second-highest grossing stateside release of Will Smith’s career, behind “Independence Day’s” $306.2 million haul.

The weekend also marked the launch of “War Dogs,” an off-beat comedy about weapons dealers, picked up $14.3 million. Warner Bros. backed the project, partly as a show of appreciation for the money director Todd Phillips minted from the “Hangover” trilogy. It cost north of $45 million to produce, and teams Jonah Hill and Miles Teller, who were tapped to star in roles originally intended for Shia LaBeouf and Jesse Eisenberg. Ticket buyers were 56% male and 51% under the age of 35.

With “Ben-Hur” making a bid for religious crowds and “War Dogs” trying to grab adults, Focus Features went after family audiences. The indie label debuted “Kubo and the Two Strings,” an animated story about a boy and a monkey who try to find a magical suit of armor in Ancient Japan. It’s the latest offering from Laika, the makers of “ParaNorman” and “The Boxtrolls.” The film cost between $55 million to $60 million, and brought in $12.6 million in its first weekend for a fourth place finish.

In its second weekend, Sony’s “Sausage Party” held strong, taking in $15.3 million, a drop of 55% from its debut. That was good enough for runner-up status on the box office charts and pushes the foul-mouthed animated comedy’s domestic haul to $65.3 million.

Disney’s “Pete’s Dragon” is currently neck-in-neck with “Ben-Hur” for fifth place. The remake of the 1977 children’s film earned $11.3 million, bringing its stateside total to $42.9 million after two weeks of release.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

kswiston

Worldwide Updates

Suicide Squad - $573M
The Secret Life of Pets -$675M
Finding Dory - $915M
The Jungle Book - $956M
Ice Age: Collision Course - $315M
Jason Bourne - $279M
Lights Out - $110M

gamz

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice 19m19 minutes ago
SUICIDE SQUAD makes an estimated $38.0M overseas weekend, down 35.3%, for a $310.4M overseas / $572.6m global total. #SuicideSquad

Ben Hur cost a 100 million to produce. Some distributors can´t sense the market at all. Although i do appreciate that they are making movies about sword fights. I want a distributor/studio to do a large sword battles.

black070

The top 4 grossing movies of 2016 are all Disney releases.

1. Captain America: Civil War
2 Zootopia
3 The Jungle Book
4 Finding Dory

Great year for them, BFG aside.

I guess this proves once and for all that there's no place for biblical epics in the 21st century?

Still for the life of me can't rationalize why Passion was so successful. Must be the latent sadism in everyone.

kswiston

I guess this proves once and for all that there's no place for biblical epics in the 21st century?

Still for the life of me can't rationalize why Passion was so successful. Must be the latent sadism in everyone.

Christain groups treated it like it was their religious duty to watch Jesus get beat.

Haha. I know, I realized it right after I posted it. You are very right though.
I was ready for the GOTCHA! moment.

Passion satisfies both our lust for violence and Jesus.

Sorcerer

2 Zootopia
3 The Jungle Book
4 Finding Dory

don't forget to add, Pete and Alice to the failure list, not that it matters.

Too much kids stuff at once. This was just Disney.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Illumination Studios. The kings of successful lowest common denominator kids films.
Nearly half the average cost of a Pixar movie:

STUDIO AVERAGE BUDGET
Disney’s Pixar $136.8m
Walt Disney Animation Studios 117.8m
DreamWorks Animation 113.4m
Blue Sky Studios 92.7m
Sony Pictures Animation 87.6m
Illumination Entertainment 70.8m
Laika 52.5m
Overall 114.3m
Average budget for an animated film in 2016 dollars, since 1991.

kswiston

Nearly half the average cost of a Pixar movie:

STUDIO AVERAGE BUDGET
Disney’s Pixar $136.8m
Walt Disney Animation Studios 117.8m
DreamWorks Animation 113.4m
Blue Sky Studios 92.7m
Sony Pictures Animation 87.6m
Illumination Entertainment 70.8m
Laika 52.5m
Overall 114.3m
Average budget for an animated film in 2016 dollars, since 1991.

What's getting included under the Disney Animation banner? All of their CG animated film since Tangled have been $150M+

Epcott

*cringe at that title*

I had a feeling Kubo would struggle :( I love that studio.
I guess I'm part of the problem... I planned to see Kubo with friends and eventually voted Sausage Party instead.

JB1981

American evangelicals, Gibson, controversy, right-wing media support.

Slayven

2 Zootopia
3 The Jungle Book
4 Finding Dory

How long before Disney starts cutting releases to stop cannibalizing itself?

Sorcerer

American evangelicals, Gibson, controversy, right-wing media support.

Ben Hur would have done better around Easter. There was that Jesus movie a few years ago that was already released on tv that cleaned up at the theater. Timing is everything.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Ben Hur cost a 100 million to produce. Some distributors can´t sense the market at all. Although i do appreciate that they are making movies about sword fights. I want a distributor/studio to do a large sword battles.
You best bet at that is watching Game of Thrones lol

Alrus

Those new openings are all dreadful.

Suicide Squad might just break 300M dom in the end, "massive flop" indeed. Overseas performance is a bit meh but missing China didn't help in that regard.

Also I keep thinking Ben-Hur is a Sony movie because remaking an old property that nobody cares about anymore with a big budget is such a Sony move. Poor Paramount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom