• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob's Burgers - New Animation Domination Series On Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange, I expected to see a thread about this series here (search on here and Google found nothing).

BOB’S BURGERS is a new animated series about a man, his family and a burger joint.

A third-generation restaurateur, BOB (H. Jon Benjamin, FAMILY GUY, “Archer”) runs Bob’s Burgers with the help of his wife and their three kids. Bob has big ideas about burgers, condiments and sides, but only a few thoughts on customer service and business management. Despite his greasy counters, lousy location and occasionally spotty service, Bob is convinced his burgers speak for themselves.

Even though business is slow, Bob gets to work with his family. His wife, LINDA (John Roberts, “The Christmas Tree,” “Jackie & Debra”), supports Bob’s dream through thick and thin (but truth be told, she’s getting a little sick of the thin). Their eldest daughter, TINA (Dan Mintz, “Important Things with Demetri Martin,” “The Andy Milonakis Show”), is a 13-year-old hopeless romantic with minimal social skills. Middle child GENE (Eugene Mirman, “Flight of the Conchords,” “Aqua Teen Hunger Force”) is an aspiring musician and a prankster who serves up more jokes than burgers. Their youngest, LOUISE (Kristen Schaal, “Flight of the Conchords,” “Modern Family”), is the most enthusiastic about her dad’s business, but an off-balance sense of humor and her elevated energy level make her somewhat of a liability in the kitchen.

Beyond the restaurant is a city rich with character. Next door to Bob’s is It’s Your Funeral Home and Crematorium; down the street is Wonder Wharf, the oceanside amusement pier; and a few blocks away is Wagstaff Middle School, where Bob and Linda’s kids go to school. And across the street is Jimmy Pesto’s Pizzeria, Bob’s Burgers’ main competition and the thorn in Bob’s side.

BOB’S BURGERS is a 20th Century Fox Television production. The series was created by Loren Bouchard (“Home Movies,” “Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist”). Bouchard and Jim Dauterive (“King of the Hill”) serve as executive producers and writers. Anthony Chun (“King of the Hill,” “The Goode Family”) directed the pilot.

CREATOR
Loren Bouchard

EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS/WRITERS
Loren Bouchard
Jim Dauterive

DIRECTOR
Anthony Chun

VOICE CAST
H. Jon Benjamin as Bob
John Roberts as Linda
Kristen Schaal as Louise
Eugene Mirman as Gene
Dan Mintz as Tina
Looks to be a funny show and a lot better than current Simpsons or Cleveland. Guess we wait and see this weekend.

So tired of hearing Coach Mcgurk's* voice everywhere. Watched some clips, was not impressed at all. I hope the show does well, but from what I've seen it won't.

*That really is all I know him as. I heard someone watching archer and I was thinking "Why the fuck is Coach Mcguirk talking about guns?" until I saw what was going on.

Clydefrog

lightless_shado said:
So tired of hearing Coach Mcgurk's* voice everywhere. Watched some clips, was not impressed at all. I hope the show does well, but from what I've seen it won't.

*That really is all I know him as. I heard someone watching archer and I was thinking "Why the fuck is Coach Mcguirk talking about guns?" until I saw what was going on.

this :(

NMan

I'll watch because Loren Bouchard is making it. Home Movies and Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil were great.

B.K.

Darkmakaimura said:
Looks to be a funny show and a lot better than current Simpsons or Cleveland.

It wouldn't take much to be better than those two and Family Guy, but I haven't seen anything funny in the clips that have been airing on tv. It looks pretty bad to me. I'll watch the pilot, but I'm not expecting much from it.

ty_hot

Bobs.jpg

Brazilian fast food:
much better than Mc Donalds
as good as burger king

Mudkips

Banned
Big Baybee said:
Looks horrible but I'll give it a shot.

I agree with this sentiment, except I probably won't give it a shot unless the internets raves about it the day after.

Dear FOX

Get rid of The Cleveland Show and Family Guy, run Bob's Burgers after the Simpsons and before Futurama (you'd have to pay boatloads to Comedy Central now), keep American Dad where it's at, and you'll have a 2 hour block I'd watch every week. Live (instead of DVRd) to boot.

If you somehow manage to resurrect King of the Hill and The Critic, I'd give you money.

NMan said:
I'll watch because Loren Bouchard is making it. Home Movies and Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil were great.
I saw that too and thought to myself "Dr. Katz". Not expecting anything near the level of that, but it's worth a shot or two.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The series was created by Loren Bouchard (“Home Movies,” “Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist”).
While this leads me to believe that it could be decent, the commercials I've seen make it look like look fucking insufferable crap. I suppose it'd make sense for them to be loading the ads with the least funny stuff (i.e. the type of stuff most Fox animation viewers would love), though.

notworksafe

I'll watching anything that has H. Jon Benjamin in it.

Also Bob's Burgers is the name of a burger joint here in Albuquerque. Tortilla Burger...so good!

4446056615_eb0867ee85.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, he was the store owner where Chris worked in Family Guy, the one that always talked about movies.

Screw Bob's Burgers, give me more Archer!

I hear the extended commercial every day at work, and all I can think is "Why is Archer slumming it at a burger joint?" before realizing it's an entirely different show.

jay

ConradCervantes said:
I hear the extended commercial every day at work, and all I can think is "Why is Archer slumming it at a burger joint?" before realizing it's an entirely different show.

Gamestop? The clips they play there aren't funny at all.

trinest

Deadly Cyclone said:
All I hear is Archer, and also I believe that voice actor was in some Family Guy and some Aqua Teen...
Pretty much- this show is going to float on the fact the Archer guy is voice acting the main dude in this.

B.K.

friskykillface said:
American Dad had to die for Bob's burgers to exist :'(

No it isn't. They aren't going to cancel America Dad, no matter how Bob's Burgers does. Besides Bob's Burgers probably won't last a month before it's canceled.

Doesn't look that great... but it's got H. Jon Benjamin in it.

Every character he plays sounds exactly the same, but he never fails to amuse me.

notworksafe said:

Also Bob's Burgers is the name of a burger joint here in Albuquerque. Tortilla Burger...so good!

Damn straight!

I haven't been there in ages though. The fries are so good.

I'll be honest. only reason I 'm watching is because of h. Jon Benjamin and thinking, "I bet you Loren Bouchard is somehow involved."

I was not wrong I see.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Will watch at first because Eugene Mirman is doing a voice. He is awesome enough for me to give it a chance.

lunarworks said:
Doesn't look that great... but it's got H. Jon Benjamin in it.

Every character he plays sounds exactly the same, but he never fails to amuse me.

Close but no
jason44kp.jpg

The talent behind it makes it sound impressive, but then again so did this.

Sanjuro

I'm really looking forward to the show. The reasoning of this show was to replace the real life home family show void that King of the Hill left.

slit

Ever since Fox announced their spring line up and we found out American Dad was moving to 7:30 I figured it was American Dad's death knell. Hopefully Bob's Burgers falls flat on it's face or Comedy Central picks up American Dad after cancellation as American Dad has been the best show on Sunday night for awhile now.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
lightless_shado said:

He's the guy that plays that convenience store clerk in Family Guy, right?

Anyway, the art style of Bob's Burgers looks horrible. Dunno if I wanna watch it.

Dartastic

notworksafe said:

Ain't no Blake's.

Also, what HAPPENED to Archer? Is it coming back?

slit said:
Hopefully Bob's Burgers falls flat on it's face
Early to judge without seeing it yet?

Anyways, it may or may not be good but it has some good backing to it. It's not another McFarlane show, so it will be a good to see some difference. Right now, it's The Simpsons (which are and have been going seriously downhill) and Seth McFarlane's shows (all of which are decent except Cleveland, imo). Hey, I'm with the folks who wouldn't mind seeing a Futurama come back on FOX...

Hatredcopter

Neo Member
I heard an ad for this on the radio of all places and I didn't even know what show it was. I just heard Jon's voice and got pumped! Definitely checking this out, and Loren Bouchard is a bonus.

New season of Archer starting later this month too. Can't forget about that.

I think if nothing else the animation style kills any chance it may have for success. Being a bad show on top does it no favors either.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Watched it.

Was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still bad.

Can't really see a future for this show.

the show sucked imo. I appreciate fox for trying to break away from Seth McFarlin but....I'm sure they could have found a series better than that

perfectchaos007 said:
the show sucked imo.

There are two reasons that seal this shows fate IMO:

First off the concept. A family in a burger joint? WTF? How in the hell is this an interesting concept? Could they of thought of something more boring?

Second is that with few exceptions every popular animated series did something new to get attention. The Simpsons was the first to target adults with then edgy humor. South Park was the dirtiest show on television. Futurama had a very ambitious storyline and production. King of the Hill pioneered very dry humour and a realistic style. Family Guy invented its own type of comedy by just doing a bunch of random shit. While American Dad just rode on Family Guy's rebirth wave as it was simply just to tide people over who were waiting for Family Guy to return. The Cleveland Show is a spin-off and is the worst show ever so it doesn't count.

Case and point is that all these shows gained popularity because they were unique and did something not seen before television. Bob's Burgers doesn't seem to do this. And yes there are plenty of other successful animated shows *looks at Adult Swim*, but I think it's clear that Fox is fishing for something to live up to their mega-animated series.

perfectchaos007 said:
I appreciate fox for trying to break away from Seth McFarlin but....I'm sure they could have found a series better than that

Exactly, the bar isn't set too high, but that's the world of media. Simply put, tv executive was friends with duder who wanted to do a cartoon show, duder presents his cartoon show, tv producers tell duder to change a million things to make the show more appealing, the show then turns to crap due to millions of changes. For every new quality series that is released there are two dozen shitty ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom