• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob's Burgers - New Animation Domination Series On Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

Watched the episode last Sunday and it was amusing at times. H. Jon Benjamin delivers his lines hilariously, as expected, but nothing really clicked with me. The art direction is atrocious, though. I have a hard time watching it because nothing about it is aesthetically pleasing, and it's not even bad in a charming fashion. To say the characters look odd is an understatement.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I hated the first episode, and watched the second one out of boredom. It was pretty good! I am actually looking forward to the next one now.

I realized the show had a "Home Movies" look to it, then I looked up the creator and he was responsible for that show too. I think the art is fine and has a charming look to it that befits the quirky characters.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I realized the show had a "Home Movies" look to it, then I looked up the creator and he was responsible for that show too. I think the art is fine and has a charming look to it that befits the quirky characters.
Loren Bouchard.

Also can someone tell me why the girel constantly wears the bunny-earred hat? Bouchard trying to draw the Asian fans or something?

So far I liked both episodes that aired. This show is pretty good so far but I kind of expected it. I think a lot of the hate was from prior to the show airing. Welcome to GAF!

Was already sold on H. Jon Benjamin and Loren Bouchard being involved, but the fact that it also has Eugene Mirman (probably one of my favourite comedians since seeing his bit on the Comedians of Comedy movie, check out his stuff) just sweetens the deal.
Pilot wasn't that perfect but not bad, this week's episode was Home Movies style greatness.

Priz

Souldriver said:
Not the same. Bart is a young boy, so his voice is high and women are better at replicating that sound than men. In Bob's burgers it's the other way around. Guy (low voice) does voice of a young girl. I'm not really annoyed by it, but it is striking.
They actually mentioned at the panel that when originally cast, his character was a boy, but it ended up being funnier writing him as a girl, so they changed it.

Someone asked Kristen if it freaked her out that of all the female characters on the show, she was the only actual woman on the cast. She responded sort of deadpan "Yeah, it's a real mindfuck." and shrugged which made everyone laugh. :)

They also showed the first 5-10 minutes of episode 3, which from the clip I saw the show seemed to finally hit it's stride and I thought was more entertaining than the first two episodes. (All the stuff with their 100,000th burger and the cow.) For a moment I thought they were going with a semen joke, but I'm glad I was wrong. :) (waiting till it airs to see if anyone else thinks the same thing)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The show would be ok if they got rid of the mother and older sister because their voices are as annoying as hell.

But since they don't seem to be going anywhere I'll just stop watching.

MrHicks said:
why is the drawing so low budget?
this is early simpsons bad
Uh not low budget at all. It's done in Flash and they're sing the line tool and it's actually really, really fluid which is a huge pain in the ass to do. I'm not saying it's got Futurama's budget but it's not poorly made by any stretch of the imagination.

Sanjuro

Second episode was even better than the first. Only problem, this is on FOX and the Family Guy crowd probably won't like it.

WordAssassin said:
Uh not low budget at all. It's done in Flash and they're sing the line tool and it's actually really, really fluid which is a huge pain in the ass to do. I'm not saying it's got Futurama's budget but it's not poorly made by any stretch of the imagination.

I think it looks quite shitty. Everything I've seen that's done in flash is pretty ugly. Not that I care for a comedy show but I feel it's very poorly made.

Sanjuro

akachan ningen said:
I think it looks quite shitty. Everything I've seen that's done in flash is pretty ugly. Not that I care for a comedy show but I feel it's very poorly made.
I mean it is no Venture Bros, but if you think Family Guy and crew are much better...

trinest

I don't get the animation been bad comments- its quite solid techniuqe and it doesn't look like the rest of the cartoons on the block.

Sanjuro

akachan ningen said:
Did I say or even imply that?
You didn't have to. That is the only thing comparable as it is surrounded by Seth Macfarlane's children. I actually brought up an outside source as an example to give you some credit.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You didn't have to. That is the only thing comparable as it is surrounded by Seth Macfarlane's children. I actually brought up an outside source as an example to give you some credit.

It's comparable to any other animated show on TV. That's the logical way to look at it anyway.

Sanjuro

akachan ningen said:
It's comparable to any other animated show on TV. That's the logical way to look at it anyway.
Let's play this game. Besides the show I mentioned, there really isn't anything else that vastly surpasses the show.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Second episode was even better than the first. Only problem, this is on FOX and the Family Guy crowd probably won't like it.

Along this line of thought, I can't help but wonder how Bob's Burger's will fare after the attention grabbing wears. I mean Family Guys cut away gags can be a bit off at times, but usually this is balanced out with a semblance of an entertaining plot. I say usually to be fair because there are some stinkers. Just Bob's Burger's doesn't appear to have additional legs to stand on.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Let's play this game. Besides the show I mentioned, there really isn't anything else that vastly surpasses the show.

I don't need bob's burgers to vastly surpass anything. I just want it to not look like shitty flash animations from ten years ago.

Sanjuro

akachan ningen said:
I don't need bob's burgers to vastly surpass anything. I just want it to not look like shitty flash animations from ten years ago.
Except the part where it doesn't look anything like a shitty flash animation from a decade ago? Great point.

fisheyes

I had no interest in this until I saw an ad for the premiere on channel 11 here tonight, which had the scene with the daughter talking about her rash. Now I've seen the first two and I have to say I quite enjoyed them. I doubt its going to last very long though.

And the animation is fine, I like that it doesn't look like the bland, sterile animation that New Simpsons / Family Guy / etc have.

Liking Bob's Burgers after watching the 2nd ep. I ca see why not everyone likes it, but I love the dialogue and the situations. Kristen Schaal's character is brilliant.

jred2k

The dialogue in this show reminds me a lot of The Life & Times of Tim. I was surprised to see that no one involved with that show had anything to do with this.

So far I've been really enjoy Bob's Burgers. Hopefully with it being between the Simpsons and Family Guy it can at least catch enjoy viewers to stay on the air for a while.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just so everyone knows, the ratings have been totally fine. Higher than American Dad, even with Cleveland show, and lower than Simpsons & Family Guy. Should be enough for it to stick around for more than one season.

GDJustin said:
Just so everyone knows, the ratings have been totally fine. Higher than American Dad, even with Cleveland show, and lower than Simpsons & Family Guy. Should be enough for it to stick around for more than one season.

Wow... I'm so used to Fox just flat out canning everything that this comes as a huge relief especially since the only show during that block that I really enjoy is AD.

Man Fox does not know how to promote their shows. Glad I actually watched the first 2 episodes, because the promotions were turning me away. Looked pretty horrible but is actually pretty funny.

akachan ningen said:
No. Your problem with the show is the style/character designs. The actual animation they are using is very, very fluid far surpasses a lot of other shit done in Flash, especially from 10 years ago - let alone what's out there now. You're entitled to your opinion about the designs - they are certainly odd to say the least and unlike anything else on TV for sure, but to say the production values are low or shitty is actually wrong.

Plywood said:
This girl is a professional troll and my favorite character on the show easily:

7L3jU.jpg
Hadn't really noticed that before, but you're right. You can't trust anything she says or does. Haha.

I thought episode 1 was boring as shit but that i'd give it another chance because pilots can usually suck due to way too many chefs being in the kitchen so to speak. Episode 2 was fucking awesome.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Watched the first two episodes on Hulu+. I'm actually surprised, it was pretty good. The terrible commercials for the show made the show appear like the animation quality was terrible. The animation was pretty damn smooth.

Okay I'm liking this show quite a bit. So much better than new Futurama/Family Guy/Simpsons. But then that's not a very high bar these days. I hope Fox gives it some support. I miss King of the Hill and this is sort of filling that void at the moment.

I laughed every time moo-lissa appeared on the screen. looked so ridiculous.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Didn't like Ep 3 much at all. I just didn't laugh, really. Bob's son is an especially awful character - they need to find a better role for him.

He's well-written in the sense that he is a boy that thinks he is awesome and clever, really isn't. Everyone probably knows or has interacted with a boy that age that acts just like that. But the problem is... those boys are annoying. It's funny in Bob's Burgers in the sense that it is true to life, but it isn't a fun character to watch.

I also thought the troll sister's antics with the poop emoticons was more forced than Ep 1 & 2... her trolling the school counselor was much better for lols.

Anyway, I don't wanna overthink it. I'm still digging the show and even Bob's wife grew on me in ep 3. But overall it was a step down.

FLEABttn

Banned
The animal control officer was voiced by Brendon Small, making the episode awesome.

I think with time the show will find it's flow better. First seasons are always rough.

ZoddGutts

Some interesting ratings for this past Sunday:

American Dad (29 minutes)
- 4.811 million viewers
- 2.9/4 HH
- 2.3/5 A18-49

The Simpsons (7:59pm, 32 minutes)
- 6.478 million viewers
- 3.8/6 HH
- 3.0/7 A18-49

Bob’s Burgers (29 minutes)
- 4.807 million viewers
- 2.9/4 HH
- 2.2/5 A18-49

Family Guy (R, 31 minutes)
- 5.389 million viewers
- 3.2/5 HH
- 2.5/5 A18-49

The Cleveland Show (29 minutes)
- 5.187 million viewers
- 3.0/4 HH
- 2.3/5 A18-49

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...eland-show-adjusted-down/80137#comment-741984

Slurmer

Banned
ZoddGutts said:
Some interesting ratings for this past Sunday:

American Dad (29 minutes)
- 4.811 million viewers
- 2.9/4 HH
- 2.3/5 A18-49

The Simpsons (7:59pm, 32 minutes)
- 6.478 million viewers
- 3.8/6 HH
- 3.0/7 A18-49

Bob’s Burgers (29 minutes)
- 4.807 million viewers
- 2.9/4 HH
- 2.2/5 A18-49

Family Guy (R, 31 minutes)
- 5.389 million viewers
- 3.2/5 HH
- 2.5/5 A18-49

The Cleveland Show (29 minutes)
- 5.187 million viewers
- 3.0/4 HH
- 2.3/5 A18-49

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...eland-show-adjusted-down/80137#comment-741984

Is this a good# for BB? Sad that the two best shows have the lowest ratings :(
Really surprised that The Simpsons still has that pull.

Discotheque said:
Okay I'm liking this show quite a bit. So much better than new Futurama/Family Guy/Simpsons. But then that's not a very high bar these days.

Wat? New Futurama is fantastic. A couple of duds here and there but when it was on it was easily as good as it was during it's prime. Not to take away any credit towards Bob's here, but don't lump Futurama with Family Guy and Simpsons.

FLEABttn said:
The animal control officer was voiced by Brendon Small, making the episode awesome.

I thought it was him. I hope he becomes a regular voice actor for the show, everything he's in is great.

Nert

Tkawsome said:
Wat? New Futurama is fantastic. A couple of duds here and there but when it was on it was easily as good as it was during it's prime. Not to take away any credit towards Bob's here, but don't lump Futurama with Family Guy and Simpsons.

New Futurama felt very hit or miss for me. The quality gap between The Late Phillip J. Fry and the episode with the "Susan Boil," for example, is astounding.

Fatalah

Still loving Bob's Burgers. It makes me laugh out loud, which is a great sign.

(American Dad is way under appreciated, by the way!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom