• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5, Part 2 - The Final Eight Episodes - Sundays on AMC - OT2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekameohs

Banned
tumblr_mrvypnsn3Z1rcnw7po1_500.gif

Oops.

Omzz

Walt has always felt he can control Jesse with no problems. Just like he told Gus when he asked why, he said because he does what I say.

Walt loves calling the shots and things happening his way. I guess it seemed holding onto Jesse was still his way feeling like he was in charge. The moment he he found out Jesse was working with Hank all along, that's when he cut off all ties and didn't care what happened to him. The feeling being magnified by believing Hank's death is all Jesse's fault

NotLiquid

Walt thought saving Hank's life would bring him in line.

Kind of doesn't explain why he called off the hit when he first noticed Hank was on the scene. It's possible that it was just as much "bringing him in line" as it was that promising Jack that he wouldn't squeal would be the only way he'd have a change at going.

Nibel

This is what I think could happen:

Flash-forward: Walt lives completely alone and isolated, doesn't know what to do with himself after losing all -> decides to destroy Nazi meth empire as revenge/ because of hatred for what the meth business did to him?

You know what, forget it :lol

crozier

There are ways to coerce somebody beyond physical intimidation. Walt deploys emotional terrorism to keep Skyler his captive (and make her complicit in what he does).
I'm well aware of what coercion is, I simply do not think that Skyler's situation qualifies here. I certainly don't think it would hold up as a defense in a court of law.

Flo_Evans

I'm well aware of what coercion is, I simply do not think that Skyler's situation qualifies here. I certainly don't think it would hold up as a defense in a court of law.

one thing is for sure... she better call Saul!

Going to need a good lawyer to get out of this.

Mononoke

Banned
Walt thought saving Hank's life would bring him in line.

I mean, prior to the money thing. He was willing to turn himself in prior to the Nazis showing up. I find it strange that he wasn't willing to consider killing Hank at any point, when he knew Hank would lead to his downfall.

But I suppose, maybe Walt just figured he could control Hank (especially with his plan with the video) - whereas he realized he had no way to control Jesse anymore.

.GqueB.

Banned
I can't get over how psychotic Todd is.

When he dies I will celebrate like I won the lottery. I will also watch it on loop for hours.

He's the most scary person on this show to me. He's like... silently insane. I don't know if it's because the actor can't act insane or he's so good at hiding it that he's a mad acting genius. I still end up thinking "what a nice guy".

Then I wake up and remember he's actually insane.

He was desperate and thinking irrationally in that moment (otherwise it would have been obvious that the Nazis could kill Hank and still Debo him for his money). Had it somehow worked, I have no doubt that he would have just gone further and further down the rabbit hole to try and keep Hank quiet and get his money back from the Nazis.

If Walt had died of cancer in Season 1, everybody on the show would have been better off.

if jesse hadn't snitched walt everyone would be better off
if hank didn't try to destroy walt, everyone would be better off.
if walt didn't leave the book on the toilet, everyone would be better off.

Cue that until you reach to: if the USA had a national healthcare that took care of walt's cancer,breaking bad would not even be.

There's no "take this out" like there's not millions of small consequences to every act in real life.

Brera

Banned
I've given up trying to debate with Team Walt. At this point he could join the Nazis and start lynching black people and people would still try to rationalize his behaviour.

It's hard for us to judge him. We've never been under the amount of pressure he is under. Despite his rage, he made sure Skylar was in the clear with that phone call.

He's a family man. He'll never see them again most likely but his last words are the ensure his wife's freedom.

Dude is an anti hero.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I've given up trying to debate with Team Walt. At this point he could join the Nazis and start lynching black people and people would still try to rationalize his behaviour.

jesus christ. Posts like this are asinine. Admittedly i haven't been in these threads the whole time, and now they move pretty damn fast. As someone that thinks all the team this and team that is incredibly stupid, and just watches to enjoy a great show, I haven't seen a single person act like Walt is never wrong.

1) It's a damn TV show, if you're getting your morality from a TV show you have a huge problem
2) none of the main cast of characters are wholly good, or wholly bad(excluding walt jr and holly cause lord knows a lot of you nit pick at everything). None of them are "evil." Every character has reasons for what they do, good bad or indifferent. Walt sometimes has the best of intentions but one of the key elements of the show is, even though he likes to think several steps ahead, he doesn't think beyond that and his plans blow up in his face.
3) why do you care so much that people want to root for Walt? Sometimes people want to see a bad guy "win."
4) It's still a damn TV show.

Veelk

Banned
just like embed this at the top of every page

In fairness, I disagree with the very next thing he says, that Walt realized it was his actions that brought him to this.

If he realized it, then he very quickly forgot it by selling Jesse off to the Nazi's and then denying it to his family.

Nibel

He's the most scary person on this show to me. He's like... silently insane. I don't know if it's because the actor can't act insane or he's so good at hiding it that he's a mad acting genius. I still end up thinking "what a nice guy".

Then I wake up and remember he's actually insane.

Todd isn't what I would call insane

He just don't gives a single fuck about anything, really - he seems kind of under-developed and childishly naive to me. But yeah, all these things considered make him pretty much unpredictable; doesn't care who he has to kill or not

I mean, prior to the money thing. He was willing to turn himself in prior to the Nazis showing up. I find it strange that he wasn't willing to consider killing Hank at any point, when he knew Hank would lead to his downfall.

But I suppose, maybe Walt just figured he could control Hank (especially with his plan with the video) - whereas he realized he had no way to control Jesse anymore.
When he saw Hank get out of the truck he knew it was over for him and he was caught. They knew where the money was and had evidence of what he'd done from his phone call. His only option at that point was to have his brother-in-law killed and that's a line he wasn't willing to cross which is why he called off the hit.

Mononoke

Banned
In fairness, I disagree with the very next thing he says, that Walt realized it was his actions that brought him to this.

If he realized it, then he very quickly forgot it by selling Jesse off to the Nazi's and then denying it to his family.

Realizing your actions caused it, and taking responsibility for it are different things.

Content Round Up - Episode 6 - Ozymandias

4xJLFfm.jpg

Videos:
Reviews:
Other:
- Warming Glow: ‘Breaking Bad’ GIF Highlights: Ozymandias
- AMC Q&A: Dean Norris
- The Limeliters - Times are getting hard boys (barrel rolling song)
- NY Mag: This Week’s Breaking Bad GIFs: OMG Faces Galore
- Breaking Bad Insider Podcast
- Warming Glow: On Visiting The ‘Breaking Bad’ Set The Day ‘Ozymandias’ Was Filmed
- THR: 'Breaking Bad' Cast to Appear on 'Conan' Next Week
- THR: AMC Releases Ad to Thank Cast, Crew
- Verne Gay @ Newsday: 'Breaking Bad,' 'Ozymandias, 'The Sopranos' and the endgame
- NY Mag: See Director Rian Johnson’s Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Last Night’s Breaking Bad
- Rolling Stone: Aaron Paul Q&A

- Rolling Stone: Bryan Cranston Q&A
- EW: 'Breaking Bad' tribute: Hank's journey from plot device to hero
- Rolling Stone: 'Breaking Bad' Q&A: Rian Johnson on Directing One of the Last Episodes
- EW: The show's 10 most effective F-bombs
- Fairy Tales from Breaking Bad's Mike Ehrmantraut (youtube)
- Variety: ‘Breaking Bad’ Draws Record 6.4 Million Viewers

crozier

Cue that until you reach to: if the USA had a national healthcare that took care of walt's cancer,breaking bad would not even be.
Not to sidetrack things here, but national healthcare does not mean unlimited healthcare. If you're rich it probably means less healthcare than you're used to as treatments/supplies are finite and need to be prioritized and rationed.

And Walt's goals extended far beyond treatment...he wanted to leave his family set for life.

Mononoke

Banned
When he saw Hank get out of the truck he knew it was over for him and he was caught. They knew where the money was and had evidence of what he'd done from his phone call. His only option at that point was to have his brother-in-law killed and that's a line he wasn't willing to cross which is why he called off the hit.

True. I agree with you.

Walt could have killed them, by not calling off the Nazis, and actually helping in the ambush. The fact that he called it off, and was willing to turn himself in - means that he didn't want to Hank to die. It really wasn't a matter of, he was caught - and there was nothing he could do about it. That's not true. He could. He had access to a hit squad he could call in.

:lol

Though it was more applicable for last weeks episode. Honestly thought this was the most perfect and well done episode in the series.

I want to know what happens next yes, but it does not leave you hanging.

I honestly wouldn't have cared if this would have been the last ep. My urge for next week is definitely smaller than for previous ones.

rekameohs

Banned
:lol

Though it was more applicable for last weeks episode. Honestly thought this was the most perfect and well done episode in the series.

I want to know what happens next yes, but it does not leave you hanging.

Yeah, I'm not even antsy for next Sunday yet. I still have to process what happened yesterday.

KHarvey16

jesus christ. Posts like this are asinine. Admittedly i haven't been in these threads the whole time, and now they move pretty damn fast. As someone that thinks all the team this and team that is incredibly stupid, and just watches to enjoy a great show, I haven't seen a single person act like Walt is never wrong.

1) It's a damn TV show, if you're getting your morality from a TV show you have a huge problem
2) none of the main cast of characters are wholly good, or wholly bad(excluding walt jr and holly cause lord knows a lot of you nit pick at everything). None of them are "evil." Every character has reasons for what they do, good bad or indifferent. Walt sometimes has the best of intentions but one of the key elements of the show is, even though he likes to think several steps ahead, he doesn't think beyond that and his plans blow up in his face.
3) why do you care so much that people want to root for Walt? Sometimes people want to see a bad guy "win."
4) It's still a damn TV show.

Did you even read what he wrote? He spoke specifically about rationalizing his behavior, which is what everyone is shitting on team Walt for. You can root for someone without attempting to rationalize, justify and lessen the severity of every shitty thing he does. Do none of you understand the difference here?

Tawpgun

I see Walt as a family man with good intentions that got way in over his head and kept spiraling out of control, and so Heisenberg is created to try and fix everything, but it corrupts him.

This season he almost got away with everything, he was done, but his past caught up with him and now he's trying everything be can to save his family.

ultron87

I feel like it all came crashing down on him at that moment as he was laying there comatose on the sand. If he hadn't seen Jesse he would've just continued to lay there and let what happens happen.

But when he saw him hiding under the car he was able to pull himself out of it by pushing it all onto Jesse instead and get back to attempting to save his ass. It wasn't his fault anymore. After all, he tried to save Hank. It was this punk kid that brought Hank out there to die.

Veelk

Banned
Realizing your actions caused it, and taking responsibility for it are different things.

I'm not sure how so. If he realized it, then he has taken responsibility for it, even if he only admits it to himself. But since we can't read his mind, we can only take account of the indication of his actions, where he puts the blame on jesse and tells others that it wasn't him. The latter may just be pragmatism, but his spitefully telling jesse about jane seems to indicate that he blames Jesse for it. Otherwise, he's lying to himself while knowing it's a lie.

Maybe he realized it then immedaitely rationalized it. "Oh no, what have I....No, what has JESSE done?!"

Not to sidetrack things here, but national healthcare does not mean unlimited healthcare. If you're rich it probably means less healthcare than you're used to as treatments/supplies are finite and need to be prioritized and rationed.

And Walt's goals extended far beyond treatment...he wanted to leave his family set for life.

That is true, but walt jr. would probably get the rehab mentioned in Walt's calculations for free too. Also with two kids (one with a handicap) and no husband, in many countries she'd get a pension.

I liked something that Sepinwall said: Walt lashes out at Jesse because it's easier than blaming himself, and because the Nazis are all holding guns so he can't hurt them.

Mononoke

Banned
I see Walt as a family man with good intentions that got way in over his head and kept spiraling out of control, and so Heisenberg is created to try and fix everything, but it corrupts him.

This season he almost got away with everything, he was done, but his past caught up with him and now he's trying everything be can to save his family.

Heisenberg is just an extension of himself. I don't think it's an alter ego created to get the job done. I think it's what he always wanted to be in life. I'm not saying he always wanted to kill people, and make drugs. But that, he believed he had unlimited potential, and should have been on top.

Heisneberg is him tapping into that belief, and just running with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom