• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGaf meet up Episode VIII: Christmas Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphonia

Banned
Yep, that sounds like a BritGAF meet!

Looking forward to seeing all your Christmassy faces.
One thing I'm confused about is accommodation, where we all staying? If we're staying anywhere at all. Because London to Birmingham at that time of night, in the state I'll be in, will not be nice..

Mikeside

One thing I'm confused about is accommodation, where we all staying? If we're staying anywhere at all. Because London to Birmingham at that time of night, in the state I'll be in, will not be nice..

Some of the guys are close anyway, a couple of people have mates they're crashing with and I think a few (at least last time) got hotels to crash at.

Might be worth seeing if there's anything cheap near Last Resort?

Symphonia

Banned
Now, considering I've never been on a night out in London, I have no idea where to look for a cheap place to stay. I don't even know where Last Resort is, aha.

No it's more like Tex Mex food. Steak, burger, chilli cheese dog, nachos, chilli, wings, that sort of thing.

I'm glad that's the case actually

While a christmas dinner has a certain something, the food itself is kind of bland. And there's a reason nobody eats roast turkey and sprouts any other time of the year

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Now, considering I've never been on a night out in London, I have no idea where to look for a cheap place to stay. I don't even know where Last Resort is, aha.

Easiest (but riskiest) way is to leave it to chance. In the past I've managed to find plenty cheap places to stay at short notice, usually around Paddington station - they are usually spectacularly unpleasant but do at least provide a horizontal surface for lying on and a light that turns off.

Just get there before the bars close and ask around, never failed for me. Of course, that was in my younger days. Probably wouldn't try it now.

NinjaBoiX

I'm glad that's the case actually

While a christmas dinner has a certain something, the food itself is kind of bland. And there's a reason nobody eats roast turkey and sprouts any other time of the year
I've never understood the fascination with a Christmas dinner/Sunday roast.

"Oh hey, it's a plate of cooked vegetables with some meat. Yay."

I mean it's good eating, don't get me wrong, but people go nuts for it! It's a fairly bland meal IMO.

I'd go for something Indian or Italian any day over plainly cooked ingredients in individual piles on a plate. I don't get the big deal, it's like a huge treat for some people.

Mikeside

Take a risk and hang around Paddington and you should manage about £35.

I'd go with this.

Worst case scenario you're in the position I was in this March -

We finished the meet at like 3am, I went to Waterloo and waited for the first train in the morning. I was freezing and fucking knackered, but it was worth it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'd go with this.

We finished the meet at like 3am, I went to Waterloo and waited for the first train in the morning. I was freezing and fucking knackered, but it was worth it.

Hey Mike. The more you post the more I think you are my kind of guy. Been there (Waterloo) done that (froze). Bloody awful station that one.

Mikeside

Hey Mike. The more you post the more I think you are my kind of guy. Been there (Waterloo) done that (froze). Bloody awful station that one.

I think it may be the draftiest place in Great Britain.

They also did a fire drill while I was trying to sleep there, but I try not to hold it against them.

I mean it's good eating, don't get me wrong, but people go nuts for it! It's a fairly bland meal IMO.

I'd go for something Indian or Italian any day over plainly cooked ingredients in individual piles on a plate. I don't get the big deal, it's like a huge treat for some people.

You've not had my roast dinner yet have you?

Epically delicious

King_Moc

Banned
I could potentially make it, might be a bit short on funds though. Going to a whole load of gigs that month and i'm supposed to be buying a house as well. Still, i might.

I'd go with this.

I did this after the September one. If you get really drunk, it's not a problem at all! In fact, the station opened and became fully operational without even doing me the inconvenience of waking me up.

Because you get a shitload of it.

What's not to like about a shitload of food?

If that is your opinion on a roast dinner, then you've never had a good one. Christmas is even better, and excuse for chipolatas, copious amounts of roasties, yorkshire puds, cauliflower, broccoli, and turkey which has been slowly cooked slathered in bacon strips.

nOoblet16

Man I keep missing this because I live in Liverpool and it's a long way off (no not the trip to London, which only takes 2 hours, but going around the city) and then there's the bit where I'd have to find a place to crash for the night.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I lack a Christmas jumper and the Santa hat I have is pretty cheap.

Going to have to check out the £1 shop me thinks.

Mikeside

A shitload of vegetables is not nice, meat on the other hand...

Christmas dinner for me IS a shit load of veggies - with the meat, obvs. but there's so much vegetable choice, that's what makes it awesome.

If that is your opinion on a roast dinner, then you've never had a good one. Christmas is even better, and excuse for chipolatas, copious amounts of roasties, yorkshire puds, cauliflower, broccoli, and turkey which has been slowly cooked slathered in bacon strips.

This.
Christmas dinner in my family (when we're all together for Christmas) involves the turkey in the oven, then everyone having a go in the kitchen making their vegetable dishes/sides

We normally have roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots and sweet potatoes, chestnuts with bacon, spinach and cale (my dish - so good dot gif), cocktail sausages in bacon, cauliflower, sprouts and broccoli, 3 kinds of stuffing (mum, grandad and I do a different one each), sausagemeat, mashed suede, and more I'm probably forgetting.

So much you that I don't think anyone ever has everything - but that means there's plenty of stuff to put in the bubble & squeak for the next day.

I'm going to try and convince everyone to do it for my birthday this year, as we won't be doing it on Christmas. If they complain I'm going to book a holiday for myself over my birthday weekend instead & they can go fuck themselves.

afoni

Banned
Potatoes cooked in goose fat, man. Christmas dinner is what MAKES Christmas for me. I'll never forgive my Dad's girlfriend for ruining the entire day along with the meal in 2011. The day itself? Fine. The dinner? Unforgivable.

Anyone else have those sausages wrapped in bacon at Christmas? I only see them at Christmas, but I don't understand why they aren't a year-round roast dinner item.

8bit

Knows the Score
Anyone else have those sausages wrapped in bacon at Christmas? I only see them at Christmas, but I don't understand why they aren't a year-round roast dinner item.

You get them all year round in mainland Europe, they're great on the barbecue.

Damn, should've know about this a little earlier i would have invaded your party coming from Finland! :D Next Time™

Moi moi! Are you saying you're going to be in London then anyway? Or that you would've planned to come over specially for it?

It's all about the bird in a bird in a bird.

Tru dat. My brother, who is probably the best cook I've ever known, once did a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird.

From the sounds of it, a BritGAF Christmas dinner would be amazing.

Shame we can't do it.

Tell you what, when I'm incredibly rich with a huge house I'll invite all of BritGaf round for Xmas dinner one year, and everyone can chip in in the kitchen

Symphonia

Banned
Tru dat. My brother, who is probably the best cook I've ever known, once did a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a bird.
tumblr_lbow1c1k3G1qcfba3o1_500.gif

That.

Sounds.

Amazing.

Yeah, they're amazing - you can also do cheese wrapped in bacon. Excellent.

I don't see you in BritGAF much anymore, Cumpkin. Whatsup with that??

I used to check it every day, but I was sans internet for about a month (in China). When I got back, the thread was titled differently (something about Being Alpha) and I just thought it'd take too long to catch-up.

Sounds kinda silly now I that I think about it.

Mikeside

I used to check it every day, but I was sans internet for about a month (in China). When I got back, the thread was titled differently (something about Being Alpha) and I just thought it'd take too long to catch-up.

Sounds kinda silly now I that I think about it.

Get back in there and pretend you've never been gone. There's also a Whatsapp group if you want more text to constantly catch up on.
miss u bruv

How was China?

Moi moi! Are you saying you're going to be in London then anyway? Or that you would've planned to come over specially for it?

Tell you what, when I'm incredibly rich with a huge house I'll invite all of BritGaf round for Xmas dinner one year, and everyone can chip in in the kitchen

Only if we all break into song no one has rehearsed but everyone knows while dancing around the kitchen

I travel a lot and that would have been a holiday weekend in Finland due to our Independence Day. i'm coming back from China the weekend prior. Now the flights are abit too expensive. I'll keep an eye out for special offers though! :D

A weekend in London is always fun and it's one of those cities that seemingly has a large Gaffer concentration, would love to join a party one of these days.

This summer i met a few Gaffers around europe in Cologne during GamesCom and in NYC too in a Barcade evening.

Get back in there and pretend you've never been gone. There's also a Whatsapp group if you want more text to constantly catch up on.
miss u bruv

How was China?

Yeah, alright I'll pop my head in the BritGaf and stop derailing this meet-up thread.

In short, China was awesome. If I had to liken it to a food, it would be pigs in a blanket.

I travel a lot and that would have been a holiday weekend in Finland due to our Independence Day. i'm coming back from China the weekend prior. Now the flights are abit too expensive. I'll keep an eye out for special offers though! :D

A weekend in London is always fun and it's one of those cities that seemingly has a large Gaffer concentration, would love to join a party one of these days.

This summer i met a few Gaffers around europe in Cologne during GamesCom and in NYC too in a Barcade evening.

Ah ok cool, fingers crossed but if not maybe next time then?

DSN2K

whenever I go out I make sure I'm out till 6am so I can get the first train home, Its either an early one or all night for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom