• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Announces Destiny 2 Iron Banner / Prestige Raid / Seasons Reveal

platocplx

A gambling simulator that has high quality music, art, fun mechanics, smart ui etc.

Games offer something different than any other medium: you can immerse yourself in another world unlike anywhere else and this just has been softened through the lack of content and smart RNG as RNG can actually be fun.

It´s also about identification. I jubiliated when finally got a shotgun with my desired perks on it, so i can optimize my gamestyle.
Overdelivering is actually appreciated by dedicated players and Bungie (Activision) decided that it has to become more barebones.

Tell me exactly how you would develop a smart RNG and examples as such that would allow you to get that gun you wanted especially when I always see people playing the game looking for the easiest way to rank up etc. Also how many hours you spent on getting one shot gun in the game.

It’s almost like many just want an illusion of tough ways to get things but reality is you still will find an easy way to get things this is where I have continually seen people play this game.

THIS GAME ISN'T FOR YOU.

It's a shooter, not a slot machine simulator. Play Warframe then. Destiny 2 respects our time and that's how it should be.
You dont work for Bungie. Destiny was marketed as a looter shooter and I honestly expect such for a game that has an "end game".

Again that is what the game is to YOU. Stop generalizing it and also calm down.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wholly unimpressed. I expected new modes or player count.

Well that's ridiculous to expect.

Iron Banner has always used modes that were currently in the game and Destiny 2 has been redesigned around 4v4. And you expected them to do 6v6 again randomly?

E92 M3

You dont work for Bungie. Destiny was marketed as a looter shooter and I honestly expect such for a game that has an "end game".

Again that is what the game is to YOU. Stop generalizing it and also calm down.

I am very calm. Bungie always pushed the shooting first and the loot second with D2.

Prestige Raid isn't increasing the max LL for some stupid ass reason.

There's like no reason to do the Prestige Raid going off the rewards imo.

IIRC even when hard mode of other raids came out, with the exception of VOG, it was always a level or two higher (pre LL) or the LL was a bit higher than you were able to actually achieve at the time. This was a component to make it more difficult by increasing the gulf between you and the enemy. I know for a fact that Crota's End and Skolas' Revenge were. King's Fall varied a bit, but enemies were level 42 with eventually changing light level, as well. etc

This is not a new thing.

Also, re: the lack of power level in IB: I'm fine with it. the damage changes between different light levels before were relatively minute to where there was almost not a difference within about 10 levels. Eventually everyone was within that threshold because of awesome drops, so it had no purpose aside from keeping smurfs from raising their KD quickly in it.

THIS GAME ISN'T FOR YOU.

It's a shooter, not a slot machine simulator. Play Warframe then. Destiny 2 respects our time and that's how it should be.

Wow, it seems like you're becoming super paranoid that if the folks who favor random rolls, etc voice their opinion and are heard by Bungie enough that they may come to a compromise and/or change to a system that was more similar to Destiny of old where you had to actually play the game in order to earn your gear (no free Clan Raid/Trials rewards, etc).

My simple compromise is for a vendor or even the existing vendors have a selection of gear/weapons each week that has different perks (compared to their base version) for you to purchase with Legendary Shards. This way we remove the total randomness from it yet get some much needed variety while every player can purchase them without feeling left behind due to not being able to play as much, etc. As a result, duplicates even become useful (as Legendary Shards).

I am very calm. Bungie always pushed the shooting first and the loot second with D2.

Which doesn't actually matter a whole lot. Just because you see it as "a shooter first" doesn't mean that criticisms about the lack of replayability in the PvE part of the game aren't worth criticizing. Games exist that Destiny clearly take inspiration from on the loot/RPG portion of their game, yet those games that were available years before Destiny 2 was in production do pretty much every aspect of the loot better than Destiny 2 does. Did we need to no-life Diablo 3 in order to get a crazy cool build going? No, we didn't. Did I need to no-life FFXIV: Stormblood in order to finish the normal raid? No, I didn't.

There's a lot of space in between "no lifing" and the casual nature that Destiny 2 falls in. I think what people are saying is that maybe it should fall somewhere in between instead of completely overcorrecting from where the game left off post TTK.

I think that's worthy of criticism. Nobody is saying we want the game to consume our lives. I am saying that the game is woefully lacking in that department, and I don't see how that's not worthy of criticism when there are games that are 10+ years older that do it significantly better.

TripleBee

Wonder if seasons will be like Diablo. Level a new character up each season for exclusive rewards. Could be fun if they put more modifiers on the pve content and a tiers of challenges to complete.

Probably not that kind of season though.

Raiden

Banned
People complaining about lack of content forget that we're not paying an extra subscription ala WoW. For a 60 dollar game we get way more than anything else out there.

I would gladly pay an extra fee for a steady flow of content though. I want this to be my MMO but its not.

Maybe they say that, but by their actions everything is still structured by getting loot for a reward, and a big reason to keep playing. Plus they sell you loot if you spend real money. Loot is still the main drive to play the game, and the main way they'll keep people hooked.
I personally like not having random rolls on guns, but they are in dire need of adding a lot more guns into the mix with better quality.
Now I will say they at least reward you better for more mundane activities to keep those things still relevant, I'm pretty happy with that stuff. But it's still all for drops and rewards.
I'd also like to see them push the shooting aspect less, and add in better ways to up your ability charge, I wanna use my powers more often. The last nightfall might have been the most fun I had in a D2 strike so far.

Kard8p3

haven't played destiny in a couple weeks cause of school, but goddamn that armor..need to pick it back up asap.

Ashler

That armour looks sick as F... but man I'm so fed up of the same destiny formula. Probably won't get back on just for the armour.

Bullshit.

If that was the case what the fuck is the point of the Power Level system and Exotics, hell even legendaries. Those were meant to be desireable items for you to chase down to get. While Destiny has great gunplay that have never pushed that as the main aspect of the game, ever.

Gator86

People complaining about lack of content forget that we're not paying an extra subscription ala WoW. For a 60 dollar game we get way more than anything else out there.

I would gladly pay an extra fee for a steady flow of content though.
I want this to be my MMO but its not.

I think D2 offers a ton of playtime for 60 bucks, but let's not pretend that part of the reason people give them 60 bucks in the first place is the expectation of long-term support. It's not a bonus of some sort if ongoing support is part of how you push a product.

Also, they're making lootbox money too. Changes to actual game mechanisms, like shaders, were done to accommodate these so I'm sure they're raking in some solid cash there.

Wonder if seasons will be like Diablo. Level a new character up each season for exclusive rewards. Could be fun if they put more modifiers on the pve content and a tiers of challenges to complete.

Seasons have some tie-in with Clans so I doubt it has to do with creating new characters.

hydruxo

My interest in the game has been waning the last week or two, so this is much needed to get back into it and have more reasons to play. Honestly I fully expect to drop the game for all of November until the DLC comes out in December though.

Sandoval

God I hope not. I don't want to play through the story any more times than I already have.

There are new cosmetics with the prestige mode. Also, most people haven't even hit 300. Why would they raise the cap??? It's completely nonsensical.

How is it dumb? The best part of Destiny is when I have every weapon/armor and can just enjoy it. Destiny is NOT a loot game.

With Destiny 2, all of the snowflakes are melting and I love it. No one should have to invest 12 hours a day into Destiny to get everything.

That's not what Bungie wants.

If the shooting was shit, no one would play. People want to have the cool guns to play with. Not to just collect and shut the game off.

I heard this a lot in Y1: "Yes! I got the Gjallarhorn, now I can stop playing."

That's what his comment read like.

I love how I constantly see people say shit like "No one should have to invest 12 hours a day into Destiny to get everything." There's no middle ground. Either fuck off no endgame for you or a 12 hr daily grind.

Can people really not see that having randomized perks with a rerollable slot would significantly improve the loot system? Exotics with an actual real tangible impact on gameplay like Destiny 1? Heroic strikes with strike specific loot? Raid and trials only perks? Like these aren't crazy demands I just want a reason to do the things Bungie implements into the game.

Strakt

Short summary about seasons from twitchcon page

Destiny has established itself as a game of action-packed rituals and special events. With Destiny 2, the development team at Bungie has a goal is to keep the community of Guardians engaged from season to season with new reasons to play. Join DeeJ from Bungie for a discussion with Designers from the Live Team who are focused on sustaining this new adventure.

I tried Warframe once, immediately stopped playing when you need to wait 72 real world hours to craft a frame....

It's Fri jtelt frustrating at first. Once one plays more, there's basically something new for the player to get every single day.

My first crafted frame was a terrible wait, but I got to a point where I was crafting multiple frames at once and the three day thing actually didn't bother me at all since there's no limit to how many things can be crafted at once. Now I have more weapons to level than I have time to level them 😐

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That’s not even remotely true unless you have hard evidence of that. Lmao.

Are we playing the same game?

Why are people asking to be carried in trials, going as far as to pay actual money and even letting others use their accounts to do so?

Why are people farming mats to rank up for packages?

Why are people constantly doing things over and over just to get certain drops?

Why are people making and deleting characters so they can redo certain weekly activities?

Why are people doing certain things and then saying I can't wait to get so and so to drop so I don't have to do it anymore?

Why are streamers, pros and wannabes posting videos of loot drops and some are doing reaction videos of said drops?

And so on. Surely it can't be about the shooting and they just feel like doing things over and over. Based on forums, Twitch and being in many parties, loot drops is by far the biggest topic of conversation beyond actual content and what problems people have with the game.

...I’ve decided to wait for the “game of the year” edition or whatever with all the expansions but it is still good to see the updates in progress.

HenryEen

Banned
It's Fri jtelt frustrating at first. Once one plays more, there's basically something new for the player to get every single day.

My first crafted frame was a terrible wait, but I got to a point where I was crafting multiple frames at once and the three day thing actually didn't bother me at all since there's no limit to how many things can be crafted at once. Now I have more weapons to level than I have time to level them 😐

I know that Warframe is a great game, but as someone with 1-3 hours playtime per day. I feel like it's impossible to progress decently. I think I played for about a week, before getting stuck in one of the main missions (I also have a VERY hard time with the Trinity test..) and I can't upgrade/craft better gear because to access the materials I need, I need to clear the missions I'm stuck with. Decided to stop because I know I can't really progress the game without dedicating tons of time.

The game feels great early though, when you can oneshot enemies stealthily, not so when the enemies started becoming bullet sponge.

People says that Warframe is how Destiny should have been, but as the more casual player, I really appreciate the accessibility of Destiny. In Destiny I can have tons of loot in 2-3 weeks. In Warframe, I can't even craft a single frames and only one or two weapons after playing a week.

Jblanks

...I’ve decided to wait for the “game of the year” edition or whatever with all the expansions but it is still good to see the updates in progress.
There's no unique weapons for IBM and PL doesn't matter. The prestige raid doesn't even increase the PL cap. These things were a lot better 3 years ago.. We should be getting improvements not steps back.

GlamFM

Banned
THIS GAME ISN'T FOR YOU.

I sure disagree with that.

I also don´t think it´s a cool attitude to have.

Telling Destiny veterans who are not getting what they are used to out of the game to go away is just another sign of the "community" going to shit.

Make 305 easily attainable for everybody - fine, but leave some bars in there for me to fill up.

Grimoire - gone.
Exclusive strike gear - gone.

There are little things that could be done that would not disrupt the playerbase that I would really appreciate.

How about a quest on every exotic - 10.000 kills - BOOM - exclusive ornament. I´d be up for that.

Super cool ship for completing 100 Strikes? Cool shader for 100 Crucible matches?

Right now it´s "Thanks for showing up - here´s all the gear".

I love how I constantly see people say shit like "No one should have to invest 12 hours a day into Destiny to get everything." There's no middle ground. Either fuck off no endgame for you or a 12 hr daily grind.

Can people really not see that having randomized perks with a rerollable slot would significantly improve the loot system? Exotics with an actual real tangible impact on gameplay like Destiny 1? Heroic strikes with strike specific loot? Raid and trials only perks? Like these aren't crazy demands I just want a reason to do the things Bungie implements into the game.

This strikes me as strange. Randomized perks with re-rolling was in D1 but people still complained there being too little variance in the gear. Exotics with a real tangible impact on gameplay in D1? Back then people were complaining that Exotics weren't unique and crazy enough. They shifted strike specific loot to planet specific loot.

Raid loot doesn't have raid specific perks, that's true. However that means it doesn't have perks that become useless as soon as new content comes out. Trials gear does have Trials specific perks.

I've been following Destiny since the pre-announcement ARG. D1 had a ton of the same complaints then (after release*) that I see now.. except for whatever reason people don't seem to remember making the same complaints back then.

Bold One

Randomised loot should stay gone forever - re-working the mod system to allow weapons to be more bespoke would be nice though.

HenryEen

Banned
Randomised loot should stay gone forever - re-working the mod system to allow weapons to be more bespoke would be nice though.

Mod system is a missed potential. It would be cool if 'passive' perks like Flared Maxwell, Steady Rounds, etc (basically Perks that increases weapon stats) are tied to Mods, while the 'specialized' perks like Dragonfly, Zen Moment, Explosive Round, Outlaw are fixed depending on the weapon.

The weapon mod system is total joke right now (especially Kinetic lol).

Ataxia

Iron banner sounds so pointless. I wonder if the hard raid will be worth doing even once

But sure I guess 🤷🏻*♂️

arimanius

Armor looks cool but it being light level disabled completely sucks. Basically it's just normal control that drop different tokens. Completely disappointed with the events so far. Trials, faction wars, and now iron banner have all been half ass imo.

hydruxo

Armor looks cool but it being light level disabled completely sucks. Basically it's just normal control that drop different tokens. Completely disappointed with the events so far. Trials, faction wars, and now iron banner have all been half ass imo.

Yeah the Faction Rally was pretty worthless. I was super disappointed with what it ended up being. I honestly can't believe that's the best they could come up with. It was literally just doing the same stuff we normally do and getting different tokens for it. It can't be that difficult to make factions more interesting. They should do a faction pvp challenge where the factions battle against the others in a certain mode. Would at least be more interesting.

Top Bottom