• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we be proud of the British Empire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can be proud of anything you want. Empire are cool but they were almost all founded at a huge human cost. It's definitely worth it to those who benefit from the stability, trade, and whatever because they aren't paying any of the cost but most of the time nobody cares about those who do pay the cost. You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs and those eggs happen to be humans and the omelet is stability, rule of law, order, standardization, and trade across a wide area filled formerly disunited peoples.

Are you arguing for the opium wars here?
Like, what's the bigger point?

Britain went to war with China to force them to buy opium from them, they killed tens of thousands of people for that, ended up taking up pieces of China and making all Christians exempt from Chinese laws, all things that directly help bring the boxer rebellion and the fuckery that followed and you really want to argue that "well, it didn't technically destroyed China"?

It was a colonial crime, unjustifiable and unforgivable, I mean yeah, it's not as bad as some of the stuff the British did in Africa and India, but let's get fucking real here.

No, i am arguing that i am failing to find evidence that the consumption of opium was destroying China. The result of the emperor's decision to block the trade is another matter entirely.

Much in the same way how we now see that the decision to enact prohibition was freaking stupid, but at the time it was seen as necessary, even though it really wasnt.

The decision, obviously, does not excuse what the british did.
Ok then. Name me a country, empire or civilisation that ever existed that could not be called 'mass murderers' by someone or certain group of people. Just out of interest.
Ahm...uruguay?

Trumpets

Historically countries have either been the oppressor, or they've been the oppressed, and as oppressors go the British Empire was one of the most benign. It doesn't even bare comparison with what the Romans or the Mongols got up to, despite being much larger.

So sure, be proud!

Ahm...uruguay?

Later on, Fructuoso Rivera - Uruguay's first president - who possessed an hacienda organized the Charruas's genocide. Since 11 April 1831, when the Salsipuedes (meaning "Get-out-if-you-can") campaign was launched by a group led by Bernabé Rivera, nephew of Fructuoso Rivera, it is said that the Charruas were extinct.

Too easy.

BlueWord

It's nice to think that, someday, our progeny will be able to look back over the various achievements of these nations and empires and simply see them as steps towards a greater society.

I think, in the broadest sense, if we take pride in anything it should be the overall progress of humanism. Certainly, the British Empire did a lot to advance those ideals around the globe (if not in a practical sense, then at least in an intellectual sense), the same way the UN and (to some small extent) Western cultural values continue to today.

With that said, we have not reached the ultimate expression of humanism in governance, and I don't think any of these nations or organizations can be held up as paragons of those ideals. But they do represent steps - the progress we've seen in the two centuries makes that very clear.

massoluk

Banned
No, i am arguing that i am failing to find evidence that the consumption of opium was destroying China. The result of the emperor's decision to block the trade is another matter entirely.

Much in the same way how we now see that the decision to enact prohibition was freaking stupid, but at the time it was seen as necessary, even though it really wasnt.

The decision, obviously, does not excuse what the british did.

Ahm...uruguay?

Like you said, it does not excuse what the British did, but so fucking what if a country want to put up restriction on a trade? What right did the British have to point weapons at them and said "Fuck you, let us sell opium."?

I'd say actually OP that the time for it to be "acceptable" isn't coming but has been and gone. Acceptable is however such a loose word, of course it wouldn't be acceptable here, in other circles, without a shadow of a doubt.

Toxi

Banned
Like you said, it does not excuse what the British did, but so fucking what if a country want to put up restriction on a trade? What right did the British have to point weapons at them and said "Fuck you, let us sell opium."?
something something law and civilization and democracy

The right came from being able to and the other country not being powerful enough to stop them. That right isn't thought of as a good reason by today's standards but it was perfectly valid back then.

It can also work today like when Russia takes land from Ukraine. Nobody stopped them so why the fuck not? It's a game as old as civilization.

linsivvi

Ok then. Name me a country, empire or civilisation that ever existed that could not be called 'mass murderers' by someone or certain group of people. Just out of interest.

I don't feel proud of any Empire.

It has nothing to do with a country or a civilization. Don't move the goalpost.

Which is a very fine point, but doesn't answer the question of whether the opium was actively harming China before it was prohibited.

The problem of not solving that question is that it draws a somewhat interesting parallel with the US forcing Japan's ports open, fwiw.

Too easy.

Half-expected them to have genocided someone. Every damn nation in SA did. Gosh darn it.

spuckthew

Piggybacking on what others have said, 'pride' is the wrong word here. But it was damn impressive what we achieved and how far our reach spread. It's also amazing to think that only less than 100 years ago we basically controlled 1/5th of the world.

Chichikov

The original problem was the Chinese empire refused to diplomatically talk to the British traders and expected very unbalanced and unfair trade conditions to stand. The British felt that they had no alternative but to trade with corrupt officials who had an existing demand for Indian opium.

The trade of opium became so significant that it not only became a social issue but more importantly the flow of silver that was previously flowing from the American colonies to China suddenly started leaving the country.

When this problem of silver leaving the country became unbearable the Chinese blamed the British who already felt that they were being bullied and treated like sub human barbarians by what was then a relatively poor military power. In particular the British were outraged by how people sent to the Chinese to negotiate were held prisoner and tortured to death.

The basic problem for the Chinese was that their isolationist policies, greed and arrogance left them in a position that was unsustainable in the modern world. The British could have shown more restraint but really to say that China would not have have had any problems going forward is a stretch.
Fuck that "unfair trade" noise, the opium wars imposed much more unfair trade deals with China than anything that existed before (which really, was just your run of the mill trade imbalance).

The basic problem was that China was producing more things that Europe wanted than Europe was producing things that China wanted.
Historically countries have either been the oppressor, or they've been the oppressed, and as oppressors go the British Empire was one of the most benign. It doesn't even bare comparison with what the Romans or the Mongols got up to, despite being much larger.

So sure, be proud!
That is not true.
There were many empires that were more benign than the British empire and not every strong country in the history of the world ended up enslaving and exploiting any piece of land that they could.
And really, saying "at least we're not as bad as the mongols" is a really faint praise.

StayDead

all_hail_britannia_by_x_the_red_angel_x.jpg

After literally just finishing Code Geass this made me burst out laughing.

I'm British and I'd be proud of the British Empire, but the means in which we did what we did outweighs the gains we got. We did some really horrible things. I find it incredible my ancestors achieved the feat they did and it amazes me there was a point in time one of the smaller nations of earth was the most powerful, but I think we made many mistakes and in a way completely messed up the world, including colonising (due to the fact us and the other Europeans comitted Genocide and basically destroyed a subculture of peoples entire way of life) and then giving up America (which led to them eventually under their own hands comitting their own atrocities).

I don't feel proud of it, but I certainly respect the fact they achieved for a time absolute power over the world in a move that propelled my nation further forward than anyone else , which, was what allowed them that power. Reading the history of the rise of the British Empire is really interesting and it's something I've loved learning about. The funny thing is, is allthough the British Empire doesn't exist by name anymore, it's still kind of a thing in practice. The commonwealth is what's left of the British Empire and while more split from democracy and power, we still have a foothold in most of those nations.

Oersted

I love this "yeah, we made some sacrificies but you have to to reach the greater good" posts.

No, you didn't. The occupied ones had to. They had to give up lives, identity, culture. And you are still not giving them a voice in this discussion.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Well, I have them to thank for my existence.

Wouldn't have Canada without them, and my grandparents/great-grandparents would never have come here if the English hadn't been running rampage in Ireland.

Trumpets

massoluk said:

Because they were the more powerful country and they could. Literally the whole of world history is that happening again and again, and it was simply the way of things up until fairly recently (although it still goes on a bit, sadly).

Also worth mentioning that the Opium Wars are chicken feed to what China did to itself 100 years later, killing 40+ million of its own citizens in the Great Leap Forward.

Fuck that "unfair trade" noise, the opium wars imposed much more unfair trade deals with China than anything that existed before (which really, was just your run of the mill trade imbalance).

The basic problem was that China was producing more things that Europe wanted than Europe was producing things that China wanted.

The Chinese were not interested in finding out if they wanted anything that Europe could manufacture because of their view that they were so culturally superior.

And yes the merchants were desperate to maintain a flow of goods that were very popular in Europe. This trade was established due to China actually wanting the silver that the Spanish had extracted from the Americas due to their conquests and slave labour.

Toxi

Banned
And really, saying "at least we're not as bad as the mongols" is a really faint praise.
They made a really big empire though, you at least have to respect that. Or be awed at it. Or impressed by it. Or any other nicer way of saying proud of it.

Valhelm

contribute something
As proud as Belgium can of theirs.

I've got to disagree. While ranking harmfulness is hardly precise, the British Empire contributed much more to the global community than the Belgian, with significantly less cruelty. It was an incredibly unethical institution responsible for some atrocities, but does not deserve to be compared to Belgian activities in the Congo.

Chichikov

The Chinese were not interested in finding out if they wanted anything that Europe could manufacture because of their view that they were so culturally superior.

And yes the merchants were desperate to maintain a flow of goods that were very popular in Europe. This trade was established due to China actually wanting the silver that the Spanish had extracted from the Americas due to their conquests and slave labour.
"They don't want to buy our stuff" is not a good enough reason to go to war, sorry.
They Chinese were willing trade, but they wanted stuff that they, well, wanted.

They made a really big empire though, you at least have to respect that. Or be awed at it. Or impressed by it. Or any other nicer way of saying proud of it.
I'm not saying you can't be impressed or fascinated by it, I'm definitely very interested in the Mongol empire.
But pride?
I mean I am also interested in Nazi Germany and I'm impressed with the Wehrmacht's fighting capabilities.

"They don't want to buy our stuff" is not a good enough reason to go to war, sorry.
They Chinese were willing trade, but they wanted stuff that they, well, wanted.

The war was not because they didn't want to trade that is the reason why they traded not through official negotiations but supplied goods like opium to corrupt officials. The situation escalated because the Chinese later attempted to crack down on the trade but the British felt they had no reason to respect Chinese authority as there was no real diplomacy.

linsivvi

The war was not because they didn't want to talk or trade that is the reason why they traded not through official negotiations but supplied goods like opium to corrupt officials. The situation escalated because the Chinese later attempted to crack down on the trade but the British felt they had no reason to respect Chinese authority as there was no real diplomacy.

Oh no the Chinese dared to crack down on illegal activities within their own borders. How dare them!

Because they were the more powerful country and they could. Literally the whole of world history is that happening again and again, and it was simply the way of things up until fairly recently (although it still goes on a bit, sadly).

Also worth mentioning that the Opium Wars are chicken feed to what China did to itself 100 years later, killing 40+ million of its own citizens in the Great Leap Forward.

It still goes on just not with guns and direct force.

Fucked up shit was normal at the time. It's kind of amazing to me how callous and fucked up human beings are. And in that time nobody cared to hide it.

Don't matter to the point I'm making. Christopher Colombus nuthuggers think he is a man to be revered or respected. Are you one of those guys who complain about Colombus Day being changed to Indigenous People's Day? Columbus opened the way to the systematic extermination of an entire group of peoples culture & heritage, not to mention the genocide of the people themselves.

He WAS brutal, even for his time. So much so that the crown called him back when they heard what he was doing and he was a slaveowner. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_slave_owners

Similar to the British Empire topic, you have to balance the "reverence and being proud" in context. Selective memory so only the "benefit it brought us" is remembered is not a good way to go about it (imo).

Nesotenso

The British had some positive impact on the Indian Subcontinent. There is no denying it. But I wonder what the geographic landscape would lbe ike if the divisions in the subcontinent were not exploited through the policy of 'divide and conquer'.

So much shit has happened in the history of all countries that being proud of any of it makes no sense to me. Being proud of ones country in this day and age makes no amount of sense either tho.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
As a Brit I'm impressed we could even have a global empire, and proud of our industrial achievements, but there's certainly a lot of things we've done that I'm disgusted by.

Oh no the Chinese dared to crack down on illegal activities within their own borders. How dare them!

Well the opium trade wasn't especially universally popular with British people so perhaps some sort of other solution could have been arranged. But a state just threatening British subjects when that state was already happy to be seen as condescending and belligerent was a threat to the status of the nation. Especially when the ones threatening them were militarily backwards.

Marc

Too easy.

Try East Timor. :)

I don't feel proud of any Empire.

It has nothing to do with a country or a civilization. Don't move the goalpost.

There is nothing or no one you are proud of who has committed some kind of offence?

I find that hard to believe unless you just sit in a box separated from the world and spend your time judging others.

Fucked up shit was normal at the time. It's kind of amazing to me how callous and fucked up human beings are. And in that time nobody cared to hide it.

Depending on your perspective, things could be seen as worse now more than ever. I'm sure Orwell would look at the modern world in despair, as I am sure many look at his world and judge. Even shit heads like the inquisition would look at nuclear arms and think "Whoah, that's pushing things a bit!". The west likes to think we're above it all but in truth we export most of our misery, it still exists, just not us having to do it now (i.e. manufacturing).

Damerman

We look at the Roman Empire with awe due to their sophistication and their impact on history and what not, yet the roman empire was also known for subduing and looting other people. Same with any other empire as far as I can think.
What the fuck am i reading? A lot of people give empires credit they are due(which is why world history focuses on them over anyone else), despite their efforts to downplay their colonial/imperial subjects accomplishments through pretty barberic tactics.

How the fuck would i ever be proud of an initiative that is founded on "the white man's burden"? Countless injustices... Fucking countless... I can't with this thread.

For all the success stories like Canada and Australia, there's also colossal fuckups that affects the world deeply to this day, like how the post-Ottoman middle east was handled. There's still even relatively recent stuff like orchestrating the coup in Iran in the 50's.
Also, fucking this. Spread democracy my fucking black ass.

Chichikov

The war was not because they didn't want to trade that is the reason why they traded not through official negotiations but supplied goods like opium to corrupt officials. The situation escalated because the Chinese later attempted to crack down on the trade but the British felt they had no reason to respect Chinese authority as there was no real diplomacy.
The first opium war started because the Chinese banned the trade of opium.
The 2nd was pretty much because the governor of HK and this one Admiral because the Chinese were meanies and wouldn't apologize for asserting their sovereignty.
I can't believe you're defending that bullshit.

dalin80

Banned
Suspicious at anyone who feels anything but a deep and burning shame about being British.

That's a slightly disturbing and worrying way of going about life. Why on Earth outside of world cup season should anyone feel shame about the acts of the long dead?

Seriously should probably get some help with that.

dabig2

The British did so much disgusting, movie villain evil shit that I don't think "pride" should ever come into the conversation.

The whole European era of colonialism was a net negative, especially for the indigenous peoples who were either obliterated physically and/or culturally. Not every one of these cultures erased, btw, was savage. But the methods of their destruction employed by the Brits, Dutch, French, etc. were quite savage indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom