• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't Call It The GAFCast/Thursdayton Episode - 07.22.06

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Did you miss us? We know your Sunday and Saturday was incomplete without some sweet podcast love. And that Monday ride to work... you had to listen to real music, didn't you? Blame Garage Band. Blame Kohler. Blame sp0rks. Eh, maybe you can blame me... I guess.

This is the dawn of a new iteration of the GAFCast/Thursdayton (sp0rks and I had been working on separate podcasts for GAF at the same time, pretty much unbeknownst to the other and have now joined forces), with higher production values, and a solid cast of Chris Kohler (Kobun Heat), sp0rks, and yours truly.

Let's talk about this week's show, though.

The show is divided into three segments:

*This week's releases and what we've been playing of those (plus Chris talks a bit about a game he's reviewing!)
*Game news discussion for the week: Blood Elf Paladins?! Draenei Shamans?!; 15 Million Xbox 360s by July 2007 or bust!; Are devs (besides Sega) missing the boat for Wii this holiday season?
*Our topic of the week: Comic book videogames, in honor of Comic-Con. It's Aquamanlicious.
**Bonus: A question of the week for you guys! What do you want us to talk about? Post in the thread or shoot us an email at feedmegaf@gmail.com!

Total Runtime: 58:03
Size: 29.2MB

Thursdayton - 07.22.06

In the future we'll be aiming to get this out on Saturday since we record on Friday.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I think it's funny that you guys are talking about Loco Roco as if Sony caught wind of the hype it was generating prior to its release. It just seems strange to hear you guys say that because you'd think that if they were that tuned into the game community then they'd also be able to pick up on the other comments about the PSP (especially all the ideas to improve it) but they seem completely oblivious.

I think they realized on their own that they could market it a certain way, I don't think user-generated hype had anything to do with it

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Pretty good, though when you were talking about NCAA, the other 2 guys zoned out. There could be WEEKS of discussions out of NCAA and Madden. You need FMT and DM to sound off for those.

But really, this is alot better than it was. Now, just get rid of that "Sp0rks" characther, and your hostile takeover will be complete. MWUAHAHA..err....

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Whoops, Kohler just let me know that apparently sp0rks side of the conversation in the last 5-10 minutes of the cast is just dead air. I'm fixing it now and should have it uploaded, with extra sp0rksy goodness, in a few (though I'll be leaving the current one up until that happens incase anyone is still downloading).

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Kohler and sp0rsks in one spot week after week is too much of a unbalanced force of evil. You must balance it out with Agent Icebeezy or Dopeyfish and Solidsnakex or gofreak

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
Chris Kohler and sp0rsks in one spot week after week is too much of a unbalanced force of evil. You must balance it out with Agent Icebeezy or Dopeyfish and Solidsnakex or gofreak

This is true.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
The fixed 'cast with sp0rks in the last ten minutes is uploaded. Now it doesn't sound like I'm crazy and having a conversation with myself!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:

It sounds a bit like Two Minutes Hate. :lol

No, it's not very balanced...in biases or personalities and you can tell when the NCAA talk starts.

I do enjoy it though. I listen with the understanding that what I hear is good conversation and not an unbiased news source. It's best that way. That's what makes GAF special.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
yeah you know in the very beginning dopeyfish showed up for all the practice things but he never showedup for the actual thing.

thats too bad really and yeah i think ill buy a real mic this weekend.

Wollan

Why are they going by the assumption that Loco Roco is overhyped? That game is awesome all the way through.
It's a much better game than Kirby or Katamary I would say.

Akia

Yes dormer good host voice. I just started the podcast. sp0rks needs a better mic. kobun's cool. it needs one more host.

pollo

Banned
pretty good, too much ps hate. Feels like you guys are reading the MC charts and analyzing it in real time.

Horse. Beat. Dead

argon said:
Excellent program... I'd like to know the correct use of the phrase "Triple-A", for future reference.
I thought Dormer'd ask.

AAA-title is a marketing term. It refers to a game which is being given the publisher's full and complete marketing efforts, at a premium price, and is expected to perform to a certain level of expectations review- and sales-wise.

Note that this leaves room for AAA games to be total pieces of shit. It has nothing to do with quality and its misappropriation as such has led to misunderstandings. (Other examples of misappropriated biz terms include IP, which led to the whole thread about THQ getting the rights to Nintendo characters when all that was implied was the logos on the box, and SKU.)

There are to my knowledge two classifications below AAA: A-title (like AAA but, you know, less so) and B-title.

Belfast

Wollan said:
Just finished, good work. Need another PS speaker to equal it out abit imho.

Yeah, all the PS people got the boot. :(

Edit: 4 does seem to be the magic number.... otherwise, it's a little uneven especially since the show is twice as long now, it seems.

Terrell

Kobun Heat said:
It's not his fault that he thinks with genuine logic and not some peicemeal contradictory logic borrowed from Nintendo fanboys circa 1996.

Oh, and the cookie commercial is cute, but you need to step it up to "You Don't Know Jack" proportions.

[phone sex girl voice]"Hi, my name is Tammy... and... I have a wart on my lip! *GASP* I know you want to touch it, and run your finger along its... hairy surface. I wish you were rubbing salve on it right now... Oooo, I can't wait. And if you're very very good, I'll let you rub ointment on my other moles and boils. Call me, they're THROBBING."[/phone sex girl voice]

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nice podcast, that was good. I would have liked you to have mentioned the handheld race somewhere though, or the end of it or whatever it is that you think.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Azelover said:
Nice podcast, that was good. I would have liked you to have mentioned the handheld race somewhere though, or the end of it or whatever it is that you think.

Yeah, other that talking about Loco Roco we didn't delve too much into handheld discussions this week. We'll make sure to talk about some sweet DS x PSP action this week.

Rlan

I'd still like to try, or are you set on these three guys now? I was there for the time where we just cancelled it ;(

Belfast

Listening to it now...

You should bring me back into the fold! Not only could I whore myself out for a company that doesn't really love me, but I can counter Dormer's Seminoles lovefest at the same time!

pictur6.jpg

Ponn

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I could try and fill the Sony Fanboy void, i've been meaning to get on Teamspeak...

I would vote for either Blue, Gofreak or Ignatz Mouse. Someone that is coherent and not crazy and not in the "blind hate everything else fanboy" category.

You definitely need something to mix it up though with some personality.

I would volunteer, but I need a clause allowing me to be drunk

Ponn

Banned
Ok, seriously guys, WTF? You bring up Comic Con and then go into comic book games and spent the entire time pissing and moaning about ****ing Catwoman and Batman Begins and not one of you mentions the awesome X-men Legends games or the upcoming Marvel Ultimate Alliance game (which was heavily showed at Comic Con, you know the start off for the topic) or Justice League Heroes. Come on people.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
you guys speak too long about a single topic.... i'm still on the loco roco discussion after 9 minutes and i think you've exhausted the subject.

be more cutthroat with the editing. you don't need to include all the dialog... just the pertinent points from each person (if they have one worth including) :p

edit: jesus titty fcuking christ. 13:50 minutes of loco roco discussion!

KennyL

Not enough Gaffing. Too much Teh Intelligent Discussion (TM). Don't be all corporate apologist whore like. Where're my SDF??

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Just a general comment to address most of the posts in the thread:

Thanks for the comments, guys, positive and negative. We're really dedicated to making this podcast shit hot, so keep any constructive criticisms (and maybe a little praise!) coming. We're reading all of it to make a podcast you guys are going to want to listen to on a weekly basis.

I think your guys are trying too hard to be like other videogame podcast shows out there..someone needs to come in with some fresh idea's here... If i have to sit and listen to 10 - 15 mintue discussions about a certain game..i'd rather just read the forum opinions and im sure many others feel the same...thats the problem here.

I dont know.. maybe get more indepth with videogame news, facts/stats on certain games, segments on old school videogames, rumor segment,,etc..make it instresting..not more of the same old, same old.

I listen to a ton of diffrent videogame podcasts on break and lunch at work that are quite good.. rethink your approach and make your show more intresting to listen too.

You guys are heading in the right direction in some ways..just needs more work

Top Bottom