• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Dead Rising: Chop Til' You Drop for US (Press Release inside)

I can see being underwhelmed by the zombies count shown in the footage (though, as seen in the various in-game pics, this is probably not a fair representation of the entire game), and the visuals looked kinda dodgy at times, but I think they demonstrated rather efficiently some of the availables, basic, weapons-based actions from the game, which was probably the only purpose of this 'Weapons' trailer. Would they have wanted to show off more complex and impressives interactions with crowds of zombies, they would have probably been able to do that, but they apparently choosed not to (for now). Methinks that, if the development was advanced enough, they should probably have released a more complete, balanced first trailer, that would show off more varied aspects of the game. This would have probably given a better overall impression...
Anyway, despite all this, I still though what was shown looked like good fun, and I could certainly figure the potential of these actions in trickier situations. However, I'm obviously in small minority here.

I like that it is RE4 in the mall, because the shooting looks much better, but some aspects were worse than they appeared in pictures. The game also seems to be quite different consider you never faught Adam on the roof.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
ok, something is just wrong here. i don't really mind the blob shadows or weird looking controls, or even the lower amounts of zombies, but GOD DAMN those animations and models are TERRIBLE. i really think they should have just tried porting down the 360 engine with a new control scheme because this RE4 engine port doesn't look all that great. whoever says "MAKE IT WITH THE RE4 ENGINE!" for any game ever again can GTFO, because that thing won't cut it on the Wii without some MAJOR revision and upgrading to better resemble what the Wii is capable of.

D.Lo

doomed1 said:
ok, something is just wrong here. i don't really mind the blob shadows or weird looking controls, or even the lower amounts of zombies, but GOD DAMN those animations and models are TERRIBLE. i really think they should have just tried porting down the 360 engine with a new control scheme because this RE4 engine port doesn't look all that great. whoever says "MAKE IT WITH THE RE4 ENGINE!" for any game ever again can GTFO, because that thing won't cut it on the Wii without some MAJOR revision and upgrading to better resemble what the Wii is capable of.
Well, Mikami said RAM and CPU were holding RE4 back, so the engine should scale well with those beefed up.

BUT do you really think Capcom has a top team on a port of a two year old game?

ElFly

On one hand, this looks pretty lazy and nothing like Dead Rising like.

On the other hand, more levels for RE4 are always welcomed.

Bizzyb

Banned
MiniDitka said:

More like "If I only had a decent animations system"

I swear every Zombie falls the same way and it just like some post-PS2 era type shit. Like, RE2 Zombie animations

Seriously Capcom, getting it to-fucking-gether, b/c as is, this is a disgrace and insult to the expectations of Wii gamers.

I think it's obvious now that the only reason Capcom decided to use the RE4 engine was so that they could be cheap about it and fund as little development money into a "Wii title". Don't get me wrong, the RE4 engine is a great engine, but I don't want RE4 with costume and map swaps.

I want Dead Rising.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
D.Lo said:
Well, Mikami said RAM and CPU were holding RE4 back, so the engine should scale well with those beefed up.

BUT do you really think Capcom has a top team on a port of a two year old game?
they don't really need the top team to PORT a game with it, they just need some engineers worth their fluff to upgrade the engine properly. the animations are PS1 wooden and the models look more at home on the PSP. yeah, i love Nintendo and this will probably be fun, but when i see FUBAR, i call FUBAR. they CAN rectify this, but it might need some more time. we'll just have to see if they can get their shit together within the limited time they have. i'm sure they can do it, especially if this was placeholder stuff for a demo to show off the weapons with the zombies and animations not yet final, but this as it is now is near unacceptable.

MarkusRJR

This game just went from being my 2nd most hyped Wii game (first being Wario Land: Shake It!) to a rental.
9qijp2.png

:lol Oh god... It's like we're back in the N64/Dreamcast era. I literally laughed at the explosion which took place about a half of a second later. They should consider need to make the texturing and blood effects semi-decent, and definitely remove ANY slowdown during gameplay. If they can do that I'll buy it (once I get the money :p).

I'm still intrigued by this version (sold off my 360 version along with the system awhile ago)....though I'm hoping maybe Capcom still does a "SUPRISE SUPRISE!" Playstation 3 version

Chinner

Banned
Himuro said:
Curious about the psychopaths. She was never that tall in the original game and you never fought her in that area. w
I dont think that thing is a pyschopath. From the 1up comments and the poodle zombie, it looks like Capcom are making stronger enemies and shoving them in areas to compensate for the lack of zombies.

Also at video: meh.

That looks pretty terrible right now. The animation looks dreadful, the environments and textures are dull and lifeless, the enemies are sparse and ugly and the recycling of RE4 assets - SFX, weapons etc. - is unwelcome.

This isn't even a case of the game not looking like Dead Rising - if Capcom wanted to push a different angle in the same setting, or even if a reasonable version of DR wasn't possible on the Wii, I'd happily go for it. This is about a game from a top-flight publisher looking like something I'd expect from the Simple Series.

Dreadful.

I'd be a lot more optimistic if the game wasn't slated for this year. The Wii version obviously isn't going to compete in terms of graphics or scale with the 360 version, but I'd at least hope the limitations of the final product are the result of the hardware and not a rushed development cycle. I think there's some potential, but right now it looks too half baked to pull together properly in just a few months.

It's great that the series is hitting the Wii at all, but now Capcom needs to prove to us this isn't just a cynical cash-in.

ksamedi

I wonder why nobody reads before posting stupid comments. The aim is to support up to 100 zombies on screen at once. This is an early build of the engine and its probably scaled down to on purpose so that it can run with 100 zombies on screen. What you see is not what you will get. Its an early build with a low zombie count.

ksamedi said:
I wonder why nobody reads before posting stupid comments. The aim is to support up to 100 zombies on screen at once. This is an early build of the engine and its probably scaled down to on purpose so that it can run with 100 zombies on screen. What you see is not what you will get. Its an early build with a low zombie count.

An "early build" for a game that's due out in a few months? Seriously?

ksamedi said:
People like to bitch.

duckroll

ksamedi said:

How early can the build be if they have at most 4 more months before release? I guess any negative comment is a "stupid" one because we must ALL HAIL THE WII, right? :p

RyuHayate said:
Cancel this game, please.
More like push it back until Spring/Summer '09 and get it right. I'm convinced the Wii is capable of running a perfectly serviceable version of Dead Rising if they design it around the system's strengths and weaknesses and squeeze the hardware for all it's worth. Look at what Capcom was capable of on Gamecube and PS2. It just takes effort and a decent budget.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Look at what Capcom was capable of on Gamecube and PS2. It just takes effort and a decent budget.

Yeah, both of which seem to be absent here. I'm sure the team involved will do their best but, as with Okami, they're likely to be a small group working to a tight deadline and on a tiny budget.

RyuHayate

Better yet, guys. It would benefit greatly from a delay. A BIG one.

Compared to what they've shown us of their line up for this year and 2009, I just can't imagine why Capcom would release such an underwhelming trailer and expect any positive response to it.

[Nintex]

Resident Evil 4: Dead Rising Edition

RE4: Wii was awesome, this looks a bit rough, but if the gameplay holds up I'm not complaining.

RyuHayate said:
Better yet, guys. It would benefit greatly from a delay. A BIG one.

Compared to what they've shown us of their line up for this year and 2009, I just can't imagine why Capcom would release such an underwhelming trailer and expect any positive response to it.

Capcom's approach to the Wii hasn't been the greatest:

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - A great game hastily repackaged with the PS2 extras and no upgrades.

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - A decent shooter, but obviously low-budget - massive asset re-use, stripping environments and models from the GC exclusives and Outbreak etc.

Zack & Wiki - Another gem, but slightly schizophrenic WRT target audience & again apparently low budget, with no kind of promotional push.

We Love Golf - A decent golf title, but no promotion again.

Okami - A fantastic game, perfectly suited to the system but saddled with a tiny port team and small budget.

Resident Evil Zero: Wii Edition - An almost insulting low-budget port, considering that it adds nothing to the GC version of the game already playable on the system.

Spyborgs - Potentially good (team has pedigree) but a very underwhelming first showing.

Monster Hunter Tri - Missing in action, but potentially the biggest Capcom release on the platform.

Tenbatsu

Cosmonaut X said:
An "early build" for a game that's due out in a few months? Seriously?
Guess you guys seriously dont understand Capcom:lol
Give them a month or 2 and see the results again. I wont state past example but the recent one is Street Fighter 4.

Tenbatsu said:
Guess you guys seriously dont understand Capcom:lol
Give them a month or 2 and see the results again. I wont state past example but the recent one is Street Fighter 4.

SFIV has changed since its first showing, but not to the degree people are hoping for here. Games can change drastically during their development, but I think people generally overestimate the amount that is - or can be - done between the time a game is first unveiled in screens and video and when it releases. There are exceptions, but the majority of games will not change a great deal.

If DR:CTYD looks like this now, I doubt we're going to see any huge improvements by the time it's released - especially since we're talking about a matter of a few months.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
duckroll said:
How early can the build be if they have at most 4 more months before release? I guess any negative comment is a "stupid" one because we must ALL HAIL THE WII, right? :p

Why do we think its coming out this year? Isn't the release window just a vague "Winter" right now? Amazon currently has it coming out on 1/31/09, so I would not be at all surprised if its a Feb-March release.

Tenbatsu

Cosmonaut X said:
If DR:CTYD looks like this now, I doubt we're going to see any huge improvements by the time it's released - especially since we're talking about a matter of a few months.
We will see about that:D

Mantorok

Haunted One said:
It needs more zombies.

How am I supposed to chop 'til I drop when I run out of zombies after three chops?

I think the only ones doing any chopping are Capcom, chop up a load of fucking X360 code during a port onto the Wii, the result, some chopped up sloppy shit!

Still, I'll probably buy it because right now there's nothing else that's interesting me on the Wii.

Tenbatsu said:
We will see about that:D

I've been through this dance too many times before - esp. this gen:

Underwhelming initial showing -- "Oh, the game's early in development", "it's an early build" etc.

|
|
|

Several months out from release -- "It looks rough, but they've got months to go yet", "yeah, those framerate glitches, blurry textures and animations are going to be fixed" etc.

|
|
|

Reviews start coming in -- "Well, they've been playing a review build", "those bugs will be fixed for the retail build" etc.

|
|
|

Game in my hands, pretty much identical to the game I first saw way back when, complete with all the issues present in the "review build".

I want the game to be good, but I'm not going to get my hopes up that Minoru Nakai's team can pull it off.

Top Bottom