• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Dead Rising: Chop Til' You Drop for US (Press Release inside)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Andrex said:
Hrm, do we know for sure it's the RE4 engine though? Has Capcom said so?

I mean I think it is but you never know. :lol

so you thinks it's the MT Framework engine or something ? :lol

yeah , I know it's highly upgraded version of Onimusha 3's engine , but I don't think Wii can handle MT Framework engine .

anyway it IS the RE4 engine

Capcom's press

SAN MATEO, Calif. — July 21, 2008 — Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced that Dead Rising™: Chop Till You Drop is in development for the Wii™ home video game system. Based on the critically acclaimed Dead Rising™, which has sold in excess of one million units since its release in 2006, Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop is scheduled to hit store shelves this Winter.

Taking advantage of the same proven technology that brought Resident Evil® 4 so successfully to Wii, Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop delivers a more immersive, intuitive and interactive experience as players use the Wii Remote to shoot, slash and bludgeon their way through a zombie infested shopping mall, fighting for survival.

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop follows the harrowing tale of Frank West, an overly zealous freelance journalist on a hunt for the scoop of a lifetime. In pursuit of a juicy lead, he makes his way to the small suburban town of Willamette only to find that it has become overrun by zombies. Frank escapes to the local shopping mall, thinking it will be a bastion of safety but it turns out to be anything but. It will be a true struggle to survive the endless stream of enemies, but players will have full reign of a realistic shopping centre and its varied stores offering an endless supply of real and makeshift weapons to fight off the flesh-hungry mob. If Frank is running low on health he can pay a visit to one of the many restaurants or cafes for a meal in order to restore his energy and continue the fight.

The game is split into a series of individual cases, all of which Frank must complete in order to gain vital information that will allow him to piece together the truth behind the horrendous epidemic. In addition to the cases, players will be faced with the dilemma of deciding the rescue priority of the residents of Wilamette who also sought sanctuary in the mall. Depending on the player’s skill, some may not be so fortunate as each rescue needs to be undertaken in a set time period, therefore players may need to delay completion of a case in order to save a fellow human.

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop’s infectious humor delivers some welcome relief from the incessant tide of zombies with players able to dress Frank up in a variety of comedic costumes and take on the undead hordes with a selection of improvised and sometimes highly ineffective weapons such as a toy sword or a football.

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop includes the following features:
• Utilizes the same engine as Resident Evil 4 Wii edition.
• New level of interaction – aim and fire guns, swing and throw weapons and shake off zombie attacks with added Wii Remote functionality
• Huge environment – expansive indoor and outdoor areas of the mall provide a variety of different locations to explore
• Improved save functionality allows for more seamless gameplay
• Hoards of enemies on screen at once resulting in non-stop, pulse-pounding action
• Anything in the mall is at Frank’s disposal
• Grab environmental objects like umbrellas and benches to use as improvised weapons
• Snatch items from different stores to use as weapons including golf clubs, lawnmowers, frying pans and more
• Consume food and drink to revive health

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah OK, that clears that up then. :)

The game definitely needs more polish. (Pollish?)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
CosmicGroinPull said:
Oww my eyes!! This reminds me what I appreciate most about nextgen - clean, crisp graphics.

Xbox 720 is out already?

Crispness isn't PS360 exclusive and never has been. PS2 and DC had some really clean titles, hell even before those there were.

latest trailer is what i expect the final game to be like. looks good enough, but we'll have to play it to see how much has been lost, and if the changes to the saving/time based gameplay are for the better or worse.

still if it's like some RE4/Dead Rising hybrid, i think i can live with that.

love that the trailer calls Frank 'one of the coolest main characters of this generation'.

Maase

Banned
Damn, game looked so cool at the beginning, now its "meh", its still a possible buy to me, simply because i will have an empty Winter this year for my Wii.

Scrubking

Just saw the new GC trailer...

In the first part of the trailer they show off RE4 and remind us of how amazing it looked then they switch to Dead Rising Wii and... UGH.

Either someone at Capcom is really stupid for putting RE4 footage in the trailer or Capcom knows the game looks like shit and doesn't care.

http://www.gamekult.com/video/9164101/

Scrubking said:

In the first part of the trailer they show off RE4 and remind us of how amazing it looked then they switch to Dead Rising Wii and... UGH.

Not just that - they showed RE4 on the Wii and Dead Rising on the 360, then cut to footage of DR: CTYD showing barely any more onscreen enemies than RE4!

CosmicGroinPull said:
Oww my eyes!! This reminds me what I appreciate most about nextgen - clean, crisp graphics.

and dead rising was in 720p and some nice amount of aa on it too stayed at a constant 30fps too.

No6

ksamedi said:
Well not optimized, only 10 zombies on screen is not quite representative of the final build. Thats what I meant with early.
Except it may actually be representative of the final build and the "100 zombies" refers to the underground parking lot. The 360 game had 100s of enemies in the mall but the parking lot was a splatterfest because they didn't have to render anything but zombies, a car, and a few shopping carts.

But maybe you're right and Capcom will grind up some unicorn horn into the dev's coffee in order to make a game go from bleh to good in 3-4 months (which includes testing, cert, disc pressing, shipping, etc).

Man this thread still has the constant bitching going on in it. Just wait till the game is out. If you don't care so be it. Many Wii fans will eat this up.

The GC trailer actually looks much better than the gamevideos one. I didn't even notice it was the Wii version until it showed the Wii Waggle motion onscreen(though it's obvious now that I look at it, I wasn't watching too intently before) :lol They just need to keep upping those zombie numbers as much as possible.

Scrubking said:

Either someone at Capcom is really stupid for putting RE4 footage in the trailer or Capcom knows the game looks like shit and doesn't care.

That looks quite a bit better than the 1up video, actually. Still not convinced, but it definitely inspires more optimism.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Scrubking said:

I honestly don't care if the graphics don't look good, but at the moment the RE4 footage just looks so much more fun.

Chinner

Banned
GC trailer is better. Its intriguing that Capcom decided to show footage of RE4 and DR 360, because it makes quite the contrast despite the claims that they're both being combined for the best. Anyway, it looks alreet. I think the 'boringness' of the 1UP footage was somewhat masked by the rock music that was playing throughout the trailer.

I still wonder though: why are the trailers and pictures concentrating on shooting? Yes yes I know, they've improved the shooting element. Despite this, being able to to mess around with all the melee weapons was and still is the best thing about DR.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
When I saw the GC trailer I was just reminded by how AWESOME RE4 is.
Then I saw the DR footage and I was like "Hey, they managed to squeeze in a considerable amount of zombies after a--oh wait 360 version."

Putting Chop Til you Drop after those two games in the trailer was not a very wise move, it just makes it look even worse than it already does.

Bizzyb

Banned
Stormbringer said:
New video, 'Debut Trailer' :

Pretty similar to the previous one, except with punchier music and not-that-flattering visual comparison with RE4 and the original Dead Rising :p . Still looks like it could be fun, despite its visual shortcomings.

That definitely shows more promise and would have made a much better initial impact than the other trailer. Game still looks like it has a ways to go with graphical polishing (still hate those blob shadows) but If they can pull it off, I'll be picking up a copy.

If they're trying to push the game out for this Winter... I'm calling major bomb everywhere. The game needs a ton more polish, and why the fuck should you have to waggle the remote so you can charge up swinging the bat? Just let us swing the fucking bat with remote like it was a baseball game. If thats the direction they're going with melee moves... WTF. Capcom should delay this, rethink the controls, and for the love of God make the game look better than that if there's only 10 zombies on-screen.

Haruspex

Banned
Don't want to sound like a naysayer but this seems like a total rush job. The levels are sparse which ruins the whole appeal of Dead Rising in the first place, it also looks as ugly as sin and the controls seem tacked-on and cumbersome (or maybe that's the animations).

Either way I'm not anticipating this one, people can work themselves into a lather of optimism but I'm pretty certain it will end in disappointment.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
duckroll said:
It's obvious who Capcom are targeting for this release. The same people that made RE0 Wii a big success! :lol

I don't know why Capcom is straining themselves on Dead Rising instead of just you know...doing a Resident Evil game.

Haunted

Scrubking said:

Better trailer, but still needs more zombies.

Except in those screenshots towards the end, there are a couple where the zombie count is acceptable.

This is clearly not aimed at people double-dipping.

Threi

notag
Himuro said:
Considering the amount you use those weapons in Dead Rising I can only imagine how fast it would take someone to get a repetitive motion injury.

I survived No More Heroes so i can survive this.

*lifts barbell*

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Haunted said:
Better trailer, but still needs more zombies.

Except in those screenshots towards the end, there are a couple where the zombie count is acceptable.

This is clearly not aimed at people double-dipping.

No, but for people without a 360 (like me) its a godsend, a game I really want without making me buy a system I don't need ^^

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I'll reserve judgment until the final build. Demo builds are almost always 2 to 3 builds behind the current development curve of the game hence why the screenshots show more zombies. At least the gun controls do look 10x improved from the 360 version. Having said that I get the impressions that this is nothing more than a trial run for their inevitable RE5 port to Wii since DR and RE5 both use Framework.

pitt_norton

Coooool... the gamevideos trailer had shithouse colour sync in its compression... the new trailer... looking cool. I still want to play it.

MiniDitka

Shaheed79 said:
Having said that I get the impressions that this is nothing more than a trial run for their inevitable RE5 port to Wii since DR and RE5 both use Framework.

Dead Rising:CTYD is being built from the ground up using the RE4 engine while DR 360 and RE5 both use the MT Framework engine , so unless they go they same route as CTYD, I doubt a direct port of RE5 is going to happen.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I've just seen the trailer and there aren't that many positive things to say about it. A vastly increased zombie count is a must at this point. I know the trailer only shows a couple of areas in the game but having such a small number of zombies removes any challenge and excitement.

Bizzyb said:
That definitely shows more promise and would have made a much better initial impact than the other trailer. Game still looks like it has a ways to go with graphical polishing (still hate those blob shadows) but If they can pull it off, I'll be picking up a copy.
Yep, that trailer should definitely give a better impression, probably essentially thanks to the punchier editing and music (heavy metal > groom music...), even though it does not appear to show that much different actions than the other one. Anyway, I'm still waiting for some gameplay footage that would show some situations as varied, and with as much zombies as in the screenshots...Though on the other hand, I guess they are not going to blow their load early and show everything yet...

D-Pad

Ugh... That gamekult video was too choppy for me.
Heh heh, yeah, "choppy, hahaha", but no. Seriously.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
MiniDitka said:
Dead Rising:CTYD is being built from the ground up using the RE4 engine while DR 360 and RE5 both use the MT Framework engine , so unless they go they same route as CTYD, I doubt a direct port of RE5 is going to happen.
First I doubt anything in CTYD is "from the ground up" lol. What I mean is that since DR and RE5 are both using the same engine that DR is an experiment on how well a game based on framework can be brought over to the RE4 engine which is no doubt the engine they would be using for bringing RE5 to the Wii.

MiniDitka

Shaheed79 said:
What I mean is that since DR and RE5 are both using the same engine that DR is an experiment on how well a game based on framework can be brought over to the RE4 engine which is no doubt the engine they would be using for bringing RE5 to the Wii.

Gotcha :D

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Shaheed79 said:
First I doubt anything in CTYD is "from the ground up" lol. What I mean is that since DR and RE5 are both using the same engine that DR is an experiment on how well a game based on framework can be brought over to the RE4 engine which is no doubt the engine they would be using for bringing RE5 to the Wii.
and unless they get some top engineers working on the RE4 engine to update it to better resemble what the Wii can do for a Wii remake of RE5, then RE5 may end up looking and playing WORSE than RE4 on the Wii. the main issue here is that the RE4 engine is set up and optimized for the Gamecube, while the Wii chipset is based on the GCN's, there is still a need to bring it up to par with the Wii, something, judging from these videos, they have not yet done.

Tenbatsu

New Screens
dead02.jpg
dead03.jpg
dead04.jpg
dead05.jpg
dead06.jpg
dead07.jpg
dead08.jpg
dead10.jpg
dead11.jpg
dead12.jpg
dead13.jpg

Hootie

Slightly off-topic but FUCK YEAH I got the Zombie Genocider achievement + the Real Mega-Buster a few days ago in the 360 version.

Top Bottom