• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Dead Rising: Chop Til' You Drop for US (Press Release inside)

N30RYU

Gold Member
This game looks like
when the SWAT entered in the comercial center in the 360 one... and not for the corpses

I just wanna see some parking shots... XD

Bizzyb

Banned
ksamedi said:
I wonder why nobody reads before posting stupid comments. The aim is to support up to 100 zombies on screen at once. This is an early build of the engine and its probably scaled down to on purpose so that it can run with 100 zombies on screen. What you see is not what you will get. Its an early build with a low zombie count.

It still looks extremely poor. I have seen plenty of early build games that have shown WAY more potential than this. Take The Conduit for example; that game is slated for 2009 but I liked what I saw from the very first screenshot b/c it screamed potential. It showed lots of effort was going into it, and this was from a relatively low profile company.

This, on the other hand has NOTHING going for it and it's coming from one of the premiere companies in this industry.

It looks like a very bad copy/paste job with low budget visuals, animations, and sounds. I don't even care about Zombie count b/c I KNOW they will "up-it" in the end, but what about the Zombies themselves? It literally looks like they took them (and their animations) straight out of a PS2 RE game. It just looks bad, even for an early build.

I have to wonder if Capcom is really going to do one of their new franchises any real justice by giving it better developers, a bigger budget and a 2009 release b/c that's what it looks like this game desperately needs.

Aurelius

Just got the zombie genocider achievement last weekend by mowing down zombies in the maintenance tunnels. I wonder how they plan to implement this in the Wii-version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Err, yikes, that video is pretty awful. The game doesn't even look as good as RE4 let alone Dead Rising itself.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Phife Dawg said:
Underwhelmaton - I hope they can still make it work out.

Yep, hope is all there is left at the moment.
I'd be glad if they delayed the game at least till April next year... I want this game to be good ffs, is one of the few action games I'm really interested in!

Again, I hope they can pull it off somehow, but it's not looking good my friends.

itxaka

Defeatist
Aurelius said:
Just got the zombie genocider achievement last weekend by mowing down zombies in the maintenance tunnels. I wonder how they plan to implement this in the Wii-version.

Wii doesn't have enough horsepower to do achivements

I will be one sad cat if the Wii version turns out to be a complete bust. I'm afraid it could reflect poorly on the 360 version(which is still one of the 100 best games ever fucking dammit!).

Eteric Rice

Yaceka said:
Looking at this game makes me fear what an RE5 port would look like on the Wii.

Probably not as bad, since I "think" RE5 uses an upgraded version of the RE4 engine.

Not positive, though.

Anyway...a few more pics :

3a74d0244e0cabf70d7d75eae61f382820080820072450.jpg

5d9da86073d525867b9e15fa0a70c18420080820072450.jpg

8972a32aa28e52454ed0d629afa602b920080820072450.jpg

0e2be758799c8173979c7c840c5a504820080820072432.jpg

69cdd4140ca9611dabb2f310f4745d9b20080820072432.jpg

c23942ec5346e19a13a2c94e1ee9eb9c20080820072432.jpg

07787e9cf6d3b28fe2de24fac0f3af7220080820072432.jpg

73ea1e17d75c7efb6ede7f7b6a70bcae20080820072433.jpg

Aaron

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I will be one sad cat if the Wii version turns out to be a complete bust. I'm afraid it could reflect poorly on the 360 version(which is still one of the 100 best games ever fucking dammit!).
Dead Rising sold 1.4 million as a new franchise on a single console. Why Capcom is risking its ruin instead of getting to the sequel is baffling.

MiniDitka

Eteric Rice said:
Probably not as bad, since I "think" RE5 uses an upgraded version of the RE4 engine.

Not positive, though.

I might be mistaken but If I remember correctly RE5 is using an upgraded version of their Framework engine that was used on Lost Planet.

Eteric Rice

MiniDitka said:
I might be mistaken but If I remember correctly RE5 is using an upgraded version of their Framework engine that was used on Lost Planet.

That's different from what I heard.

You could be right, though.

Speevy

Banned
Koei should just port Dynasty Warriors 5 to the Wii, reskin all the characters, and call it Dead Rising: The Great Outdoors

Eteric Rice

I wonder how close the specs of the Wii are to the specs of the GC dev kit.

I ask because the GC dev kit put graphics like this out.

Wouldn't mind seeing them push the RE4 engine again. They could, if they'd just put some good devs on it.

Eteric Rice said:

re5 is using the framework engine.

what did you think it was using?

edit: nvm. saw your post above. upgraded re4 engine. :lol

Eteric Rice

WickedLaharl said:
re5 is using the framework engine.

what did you think it was using?

edit: nvm. saw your post above. upgraded re4 engine. :lol

A highly upgraded version of the RE4 engine.

Anyway, if they actually did have to port over RE5 it might not be as bad since they won't have to put 100 zombies on screen at a time.

Unless RE5 is doing that as well.

MiniDitka

Eteric Rice said:

Here ya go http://www.destructoid.com/captivate-08-resident-evil-5-demo-walkthrough-delivers-chills-88667.phtml

"It’s here that I realize just how beautiful RE 5 truly is. Using an advanced version of Capcom’s MT Framework engine (which powered Devil May Cry 4, Lost Planet, and Dead Rising), it’s clear that the title is set to drop jaws the same way RE 4 did when it first hit the GameCube and refined “gorgeous” in gaming." : )

Watched the gamevideos-video and boy, what a disappointment. Seriously, I wasn't even hyped about this and it still underwhelmed. Ugly graphics, superlow resolution textures, zero hitdetection with melee weapons, I think that most of the soundeffects are from other games (shotgun from RE4, sword umm... from Onimusha?), couple of zombies on screen...

Gameplay could turn out to be the saviour of the game, but didn't they rip the photography-thing out too?

ksamedi

Bizzyb said:
It still looks extremely poor. I have seen plenty of early build games that have shown WAY more potential than this. Take The Conduit for example; that game is slated for 2009 but I liked what I saw from the very first screenshot b/c it screamed potential. It showed lots of effort was going into it, and this was from a relatively low profile company.

This, on the other hand has NOTHING going for it and it's coming from one of the premiere companies in this industry.

It looks like a very bad copy/paste job with low budget visuals, animations, and sounds. I don't even care about Zombie count b/c I KNOW they will "up-it" in the end, but what about the Zombies themselves? It literally looks like they took them (and their animations) straight out of a PS2 RE game. It just looks bad, even for an early build.

I have to wonder if Capcom is really going to do one of their new franchises any real justice by giving it better developers, a bigger budget and a 2009 release b/c that's what it looks like this game desperately needs.

The Conduit doesn't have 100 enemies on screen. The engine is scaled down from Re4 to support more enemies. Nobody should expect the characters and Zombies to be as detailed as Resident evil 4 because Resident evil 4 never had that many characters on screen at once.

ksamedi said:
The Conduit doesn't have 100 enemies on screen.

Neither does this yet. If we were seeing any evidence that the game was pushing that number of zombies at once, then I suspect people would be more forgiving. As it is, what we're seeing is a handful of enemies in most of the screens and vids and a game that looks very, very rough anyway.

The engine is scaled down from Re4 to support more enemies. Nobody should expect the characters and Zombies to be as detailed as Resident evil 4 because Resident evil 4 never had that many characters on screen at once.

Nobody should expect that, but if they're going to scale back enemy, item and environment detail to allow for an increase in enemy numbers then where is that increase? The USP of Dead Rising was the massive number of zombies onscreen. The Wii might not be able to match the 300+ of the 360 version, but if it can't even get into high double digits then it's going to be a very watered-down version of the game.

Aside from that concern, there are other issues with presentation here that don't relate to the number of onscreen enemies - poor animation, reused assets and the overall low-budget feel of the project.

ksamedi

Cosmonaut X said:
Neither does this yet. If we were seeing any evidence that the game was pushing that number of zombies at once, then I suspect people would be more forgiving. As it is, what we're seeing is a handful of enemies in most of the screens and vids and a game that looks very, very rough anyway.

Nobody should expect that, but if they're going to scale back enemy, item and environment detail to allow for an increase in enemy numbers then where is that increase? The USP of Dead Rising was the massive number of zombies onscreen. The Wii might not be able to match the 300+ of the 360 version, but if it can't even get into high double digits then it's going to be a very watered-down version of the game.

Aside from that concern, there are other issues with presentation here that don't relate to the number of onscreen enemies - poor animation, reused assets and the overall low-budget feel of the project.

The developers say they are aiming for 100 enemies on screen. Thats why I am more forgiving. This doesn't look good for the number of enemies on screen but this will obviously be improved. I will wait untill I see the full zombie count. This is also why developers should never show early builds. It gives the wrong impression.

Mantorok

Aaron said:
Dead Rising sold 1.4 million as a new franchise on a single console. Why Capcom is risking its ruin instead of getting to the sequel is baffling.

Well surely it's simple, to make some very easy money.

ksamedi said:
The developers say they are aiming for 100 enemies on screen. Thats why I am more forgiving. This doesn't look good for the number of enemies on screen but this will obviously be improved. I will wait untill I see the full zombie count. This is also why developers should never show early builds. It gives the wrong impression.

Once again, what makes you think this is an "early build"? It's a few months from release and Capcom have obviously seen fit to let journalists have hands-on time with it, and have released at least two official trailers. This isn't some rough demo or proof-of-concept that is only being seen behind closed doors.

Dead Man Typing said:
2009, right?

No, Winter 2008.

Haunted

Rlan said:
0e2be758799c8173979c7c840c5a504820080820072432.jpg

"Wah Wah Three Zombies!"
Yeah, that's the kinda zombie number I want to see!

Why the fuck would Capcom make a video where only 5 zombies are on screen instead of showing us Frank plowing through this pile of zombies?

It's so strange.

Aaron said:
Gah. Looks like a PS1 port. Must have taken real effort to make a great game look that bad.
:lol why shit posts like this aren't bannable, I'll never understand.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mantorok said:
Well surely it's simple, to make some very easy money.

I doubt it. Despite the fact this port isn't all it could be, I imagine it is taking a lot of effort downporting from 360.

I believe it's more like a trial run to see if porting from HD to Wii is possible, then when they get to RE5 they'll know all the pitfalls.

ksamedi

Cosmonaut X said:
Once again, what makes you think this is an "early build"? It's a few months from release and Capcom have obviously seen fit to let journalists have hands-on time with it, and have released at least two official trailers. This isn't some rough demo or proof-of-concept that is only being seen behind closed doors.

No, Winter 2008.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3169411&p=44

Here you will find all the info. The engine is not optimized and they aim for 100 zombies on screen.

Mantorok

Andrex said:
I doubt it. Despite the fact this port isn't all it could be, I imagine it is taking a lot of effort downporting from 360.

I believe it's more like a trial run to see if porting from HD to Wii is possible, then when they get to RE5 they'll know all the pitfalls.

When you compare the profit-to-effort made on the original Dead Rising on 360 to the profit-to-effort they may make on this port on the Wii then it's very easy money.

ksamedi said:

There's nothing there that says this is an "early build": it's a Trial Edition put together for demo purposes, and Capcom reps are telling journos that the devs are aiming for 100 onscreen enemies.

Andrex said:

They're not "downporting" anything. This is the RE4 engine, modified for slightly different gameplay style.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mantorok said:
When you compare the profit-to-effort made on the original Dead Rising on 360 to the profit-to-effort they may make on this port on the Wii then it's very easy money.

True, but that hasn't been the case thus far this gen. :lol

The original DR could've come out on the Wii and it probably would've sold a lot better (by now, not initially of course due to 360's base at the time.)

Thus I have reason to think there's an alterior motive.

ksamedi

Cosmonaut X said:
There's nothing there that says this is an "early build": it's a Trial Edition put together for demo purposes, and Capcom reps are telling journos that the devs are aiming for 100 onscreen enemies.

They're not "downporting" anything. This is the RE4 engine, modified for slightly different gameplay style.

Well not optimized, only 10 zombies on screen is not quite representative of the final build. Thats what I meant with early.

sangreal

ksamedi said:
Well not optimized, only 10 zombies on screen is not quite representative of the final build. Thats what I meant with early.

They had 1000 zombies on screen on 360 alpha kits over a year before release

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cosmonaut X said:

Hrm, do we know for sure it's the RE4 engine though? Has Capcom said so?

I mean I think it is but you never know. :lol

ksamedi

sangreal said:
They had 1000 zombies on screen on 360 alpha kits over a year before release

This is the Wii dude. forget about the 360 numbers. The 360 could probably handle 3000 zombies with the RE4 graphics engine.

Mmm, I am under the impression that even State of Emergency (PS2) looked quite a bit better than this. Not to mention the amount of npc's on screen.

Mantorok

Andrex said:
Hrm, do we know for sure it's the RE4 engine though? Has Capcom said so?

I mean I think it is but you never know. :lol

Yeah, the engine may be the same but the textures and models are absolutely gobsmackingly bad, you wouldn't compare it to RE4 by any means.

Now if they managed 100 zombies with RE4 graphics then we could be talking, but we know full well given the Wii's capacity that it's never going to happen, so instead we get this, 100 zombies + N64 graphics or 1000 zombies and Spectrum 48k graphics.

sangreal

ksamedi said:
This is the Wii dude. forget about the 360 numbers. The 360 could probably handle 3000 zombies with the RE4 graphics engine.

I know that, my point is that the 360 version was in much better shape with way more development time left. The reaction to the Wii demo shows the importance of the zombie count. Isolated or tiny groups of zombies like you see pose no threat to Frank during the day, so the game looks quite boring.

Top Bottom