• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow announced for PS3/X360. 3D reboot of classic CV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
leroidys said:
Damn. The bump got my hopes up for some news :(

I propose gunswordfist be smacked with jarosh's skillet for this grievous offense.

I've been on a bit of a CV bender lately and have been going through every game up to and including SotN. Sometimes it helps remind me why I love gaming so much. Does anyone know if this game going to be called Castlevania in Japan like LoI or will it remain Akumajo Dracula?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
abstract alien said:
The only thing I remember seeing was the different layers of the mask, and a few cg clips, but thats all. I could have seen it and just forgot though...

There is plenty of gameplay footage in the 2 most recent trailers. Boss fights, a bit of platforming, the works. Looks fantastic, I just hope there is a larger focus on platforming than the trailers let on.

Ridley327

luka said:
I propose gunswordfist be smacked with jarosh's skillet for this grievous offense.

I've been on a bit of a CV bender lately and have been going through every game up to and including SotN. Sometimes it helps remind me why I love gaming so much. Does anyone know if this game going to be called Castlevania in Japan like LoI or will it remain Akumajo Dracula?

I don't think it's even been announced for Japan as of yet. Neither has Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, for that matter.

luka said:
There is plenty of gameplay footage in the 2 most recent trailers. Boss fights, a bit of platforming, the works. Looks fantastic, I just hope there is a larger focus on platforming than the trailers let on.
Yeah, I agree. Although it does look nice from an action standpoint, more platforming would help it retain a few more of its castlevanian roots.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Thanks for the interview. Nice to see someone update us with some new info instead of bumping the thread for no reason.

SolidSnakex said:
Here's a new interview with Dave Cox

http://www.gamereactor.de/News/796/Castlevania:+Lords+of+Shadow/

He points out to that the big inspirations for them in terms of CV games are the original Castlevania and Super Castlevania. He says that people that have only played SoTN and onwards might be weirded out by it but fans of the original style of CV will really get it.
Nice, Ill have to check this out once I get home. For some reason, the link comes up as blocked because of sexual content at work :^/

Ridley327

Lords of Shadow was always a Castlevania game? Really?

I'd buy it if it wasn't for the fact that they claim that they didn't do the full unveil to give Judgment a wide berth. I mean, really?

SolidSnakex said:

He points out to that the big inspirations for them in terms of CV games are the original Castlevania and Super Castlevania. He says that people that have only played SoTN and onwards might be weirded out by it but fans of the original style of CV will really get it.

just for that alone he is 1000X more awesome than that hack Iga will ever be.

TreIII

Ridley327 said:
Lords of Shadow was always a Castlevania game? Really?

I'd buy it if it wasn't for the fact that they claim that they didn't do the full unveil to give Judgment a wide berth. I mean, really?

Well, c'mon, think about it!

If THIS game was marketed as a CV title from when it was originally shown, and JUDGMENT was the only other thing?

Judgment would have been sent to die even worse than when it was! As it was, it was the "child nobody wanted". :lol

He says that people that have only played SoTN and onwards might be weirded out by it but fans of the original style of CV will really get it.

I shall hold him to this. Don't say stuff like that and not mean it.

SolidSnakex said:

Imagining a 3D Vania that replicates the CV4 atmosphere makes me so excited. They probably won't pull it off but it's nice to know they have the right idea and their hearts in the right place.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
brandonh83 said:
I shall hold him to this. Don't say stuff like that and not mean it.

He's probably referring mostly to the western style and gothic motif rather than the gameplay itself.

LowParry

Just be sure to keep the staple music fucking awesome. I love the way the game looks already. And it looks like it will play well. I really hope they nail the game's atmosphere with Super Castlevania. I'm pumped and ready!

DMczaf

SolidSnakex said:

bgbhg5.jpg
>>>>>>>>>>
2rp70hu.gif

GhaleonQ

revolverjgw said:
Imagining a 3D Vania that replicates the CV4 atmosphere makes me so excited.

Honestly, I don't even know what that means or how one can reconcile that with what's been revealed. What would that be, exactly?

luka said:
He's probably referring mostly to the western style and gothic motif rather than the gameplay itself.

I believe we have recreated the classic Castlevania's. And i'm talking about Simon's Quest, Castlevania 3, Super Castlevania in particular.

We really did go back to the beginning. We said "We've got to bring the original Castlevania concept to 21st century".

Dascu

They've got a pretty trailer and their words about bringing back that "classic Castlevania feel" are nice, but such statements are inherently vague and an apparently big-budget production does not mean the game will be any good, especialy considering the lacklustertrack-record of the studio. Cautiously optimistic.

Zep

Banned
Still don't believe in them getting it done. I hate the, "Well the game has gotta sell so we're changing ___ ___ ___ ___ but don't worry! We still remember our core base!"

Looks like GOW III & IV coming in 2010 ;)

Cheerilee

luka said:
Does anyone know if this game going to be called Castlevania in Japan like LoI or will it remain Akumajo Dracula?
I think IGA only flirted briefly in the PS2/GBA era with the idea of changing the name to "Castlevania" in Japan to broaden it's scope (because he thought that by calling it "Demon Castle Dracula", Japanese people expected the game to take place inside the castle, and have Dracula as the end boss, and he was running out of Dracula fights in his precious official canon timeline).

The DS games, Rondo PSP, and Deathnotevania all went back to being called Akumajou Dracula, so I think IGA must've given up on that plan. But it could still be called Castlevania in Japan for new reasons (like it being Western-developed, or IGA throwing a fit and trying to withhold the name somehow).

Monocle

gunswordfist said:
This game will definitely give Bayonetta a run for its money. Everytime I watch Castlevania Lords Of Shadow's trailer, I almost want to cry. So beautiful man.
Yeah, probably not. But I still can't wait to see more of this game.

MoxManiac

SolidSnakex said:

Hype +100000000

Man, I can't wait to see what they're doing with this game.

luka said:
I love the platforming and additional action in the newest trailer. I'm really pumped for this game. I don't want to get overhyped but God damn is it hard to find middle ground with this one.

lyre

"Pure action, little bit of platforming, little bit of puzzle solving." No trolling here (har har), but this guy did not play the same classic Castlevania or SCV4 game as I did where it's a bit of action, mostly platforming and almost no puzzle solving. Yes 2 had puzzle solving but it hardly dictates what the rest of the series was.

I don't want to write this off so quickly (CV fanbot I am), but what I've seen of the game so far is not CV and absolutely does not cater to this long time fan at all. And I don't really wanna comment too much on what the guy in the gamereactor vid says cause it's really stuff that annoys me to no end.

And all that spiel about starting out as a CV title, being devved as a CV title, not calling it CV because it's too different and not piss off any fans when it first gets revealed, all that junk is just pure marketting to sell the game, so it can piss off.

However, I am willing to eat crow if this does turns up well.

steveovig

This game looks nice and all but why can't they ever make a 2D CV game for the consoles and make it disc-based? Just one game is all I want. One full high res game. NSMB proves that these games can sell disc-based.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
lyre said:
"Pure action, little bit of platforming, little bit of puzzle solving." No trolling here (har har), but this guy did not play the same classic Castlevania or SCV4 game as I did where it's a bit of action, mostly platforming and almost no puzzle solving. Yes 2 had puzzle solving but it hardly dictates what the rest of the series was.

I don't want to write this off so quickly (CV fanbot I am), but what I've seen of the game so far is not CV and absolutely does not cater to this long time fan at all. And I don't really wanna comment too much on what the guy in the gamereactor vid says cause it's really stuff that annoys me to no end.

And all that spiel about starting out as a CV title, being devved as a CV title, not calling it CV because it's too different and not piss off any fans when it first gets revealed, all that junk is just pure marketting to sell the game, so it can piss off.

However, I am willing to eat crow if this does turns up well.

Sounds like every modern action game to me. Which is a good thing. And the game looks like a Castlevania game in everyway. It represents the series better than most of the CV games in the last 10 years (AoS, CXC and OoE excluded).

lyre

TheCardPlayer said:
Sounds like every modern action game to me. Which is a good thing. And the game looks like a Castlevania game in everyway. It represents the series better than most of the CV games in the last 10 years (AoS, CXC and OoE excluded).
Completely disagree. And besides, it's not like our present day is in any shortage of combo based action climax games. Turning CV into yet another one will just lose it in a sea of significantly better combo action climax games.

And Dracula X Chronicles was terrible, sorry. The only saving grace is the original Rondo, but even then, the emulation is not perfect.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
lyre said:
Completely disagree. And besides, it's not like our present day is in any shortage of combo based action climax games. Turning CV into yet another one will just lose it in a sea of significantly better combo action climax games.

And Dracula X Chronicles was terrible, sorry. The only saving grace is the original Rondo, but even then, the emulation is not perfect.

I thought that Dracula X Chronicles, was a fantastic remake of an already great game. I'd love to hear, what you thought was lacking about it.

RavenFox

Banned
lyre said:

WHAT?

lyre

The same reason why I absolutely loathe any 3d remake of a game that's a decade or two old. If the game is good enough to remake, then it's good enough to play in its original form and not in some hit or miss fucking with it form; this is especially the case when the remake is a point for point replication of the original. That and they fucked with Maria in SotN, completely gimping her moveset and making her completely unfun to play (in comparison to Saturn Maria). Alucard and Richter were untouched of course yet they didn't bother to add in the two optional but (imo) fun areas which had new enemies and items. And the final straw that broke the camel's back, while fixing some of the original bugs in SotN, they actually added in NEW bugs in the game; like the bug where if you use a subweapon and get hit at the same time, you won't be able to use it again until you leave the room (or something along those lines). Talk about an oversight.

lyre said:
The same reason why I absolutely loathe any 3d remake of a game that's a decade or two old. If the game is good enough to remake, then it's good enough to play in its original form and not in some hit or miss fucking with it form; this is especially the case when the remake is a point for point replication of the original. That and they fucked with Maria in SotN, completely gimping her moveset and making her completely unfun to play (in comparison to Saturn Maria). Alucard and Richter were untouched of course yet they didn't bother to add in the two optional but (imo) fun areas which had new enemies and items. And the final straw that broke the camel's back, while fixing some of the original bugs in SotN, they actually added in NEW bugs in the game; like the bug where if you use a subweapon and get hit at the same time, you won't be able to use it again until you leave the room (or something along those lines). Talk about an oversight.

You're talking about the tweaked SOTN, not the actual Rondo of Blood remake. :p

lyre

I was talking about the entire game; all three of them.

There's really nothing to say about Rondo remake other than it's the original Rondo but with ugly 3d low production graphics. And to add insult to injury, the art is atrocious and the character designs are terrible. Aesthetics aside, the game is pretty much exactly the same, for better or worse. Might as well play the original sprite version in that case.

Oh, and most of the remixed music was pretty underwhelming to terrible as well.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Once I unlocked the original I never touched the remake again (until I finally got my own copy of the original game). It's not necessarily the game's fault though. I have a serious aversion to any 2d platformer with 3d visuals. It just doesn't work for me. It didn't need to happen. A compilation of RoB and SotN would have been perfect. If you're going to make a 2D game make it 2D, and if you want a 3D game find some way to make it work. Don't combine the two. Ugh.
Kaze no Klonoa and Tomba are exempt

Regarding CV's gameplay, I too am tempted to call it a reskinned GoW. I mean, that's what it looks like. But I'd imagine it's difficult to turn "traditional" CV gameplay into something else and have it work in a 3D environment. The originals are hardly "90% platforming and 10% combat." There is a LOT of combat...in the old games there is shit in every single screen that needs killing. Your whip is working overtime and many of the levels are just long hallways with some stairs, a few traps and maybe a pit or two. There really isn't any way to make a 3D game that perfectly mirrors traditional gameplay. You have to change the mechanics into something that works in that space.

lyre said:
I was talking about the entire game; all three of them.

There's really nothing to say about Rondo remake other than it's the original Rondo but with ugly 3d low production graphics. And to add insult to injury, the art is atrocious and the character designs are terrible. Aesthetics aside, the game is pretty much exactly the same, for better or worse. Might as well play the original sprite version in that case.

Oh, and most of the remixed music was pretty underwhelming to terrible as well.

I'll agree with you there. Seeing the 3D models next to the original sprites reminded me of all those horrifically amateurish 3D model packs for doom and duke3d. It's just not right. And yeah, the music was ass.

luka said:
Regarding CV's gameplay, I too am tempted to call it a reskinned GoW. I mean, that's what it looks like. But I'd imagine it's difficult to turn "traditional" CV gameplay into something else and have it work in a 3D environment. The originals are hardly "90% platforming and 10% combat." There is a LOT of combat...in the old games there is shit in every single screen that needs killing. Your whip is working overtime and many of the levels are just long hallways with some stairs, a few traps and maybe a pit or two. There really isn't any way to make a 3D game that perfectly mirrors traditional gameplay. You have to change the mechanics into something that works in that space.

is it really that difficult to make a great 3d castlevania game that's faithful to the 2d castlevania series? I mean the metroidvania one because I didn't play much castlevania before SoTN.

when thinking about metroidvania. what I like the most about it is exploration, some platforming and some puzzle solving. the combat is mostly mindless fun until I got to boss battles or some of tougher enemies.

now, taking references from other games that done some part of these element that made castlevania, you'd think making castlevania 3d shouldn't be that hard.

let's see, take the combat from GoW series (conveniently GoW already featuring chained blade, so they already have great references on how the whip should animate and feel in 3d). make the level big interconnected level like Vagrant Story or even Demon's Souls (but larger) filled with traps, hidden door, branching path. add some puzzles and platforming, and you got what I think a pretty solid Castlevania title in 3d.

God of War is too linear to have lots of exploration, Vagrant Story had great level design but it's not an action game. and demon souls have great combat and level design, but the level is not big enough for a full castlevania game and it doesn't have platforming.
I think the combination of those element can make a really good 3d castlevania game

I hope Lord of Shadows is this game, from the trailer, they nailed the combat, big bosses, looks like there'll be some climbing and platforming. puzzle solving. and they said it's an open world, so I hope the world is not as closed and linear as God of War.

I'm excited for Lord of Shadows.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I don't disagree at all. I would love a huge, sprawling castle full of secrets to explore. That was undoubtedly the best part of SotN. I was just making the comparison because of the comments about using the original CV and Super CV style as inspiration. I really can't imagine a CV game working in 3D without having combat being almost a facsimile of GoW. Games like those really tend to keep the platforming and combat seperate. You walk into a room, fight all the enemies in a big arena, then move on and do a bit of environmental puzzles. Classic CV is all about intelligently navigating the environment to position yourself against the enemy and being aware of the pits and traps. Taking a cue from Demon's Souls would be fantastic.

Dascu

luka said:
I don't disagree at all. I would love a huge, sprawling castle full of secrets to explore. That was undoubtedly the best part of SotN. I was just making the comparison because of the comments about using the original CV and Super CV style as inspiration. I really can't imagine a CV game working in 3D without having combat being almost a facsimile of GoW. Games like those really tend to keep the platforming and combat seperate. You walk into a room, fight all the enemies in a big arena, then move on and do a bit of environmental puzzles. Classic CV is all about intelligently navigating the environment to position yourself against the enemy and being aware of the pits and traps. Taking a cue from Demon's Souls would be fantastic.
Indeed. It's important to remember that the CV games are first and foremost about platforming, with the enemies being additional variables to take in mind. The enemies aren't there to fight you, there just there as another obstacle while jumping from platform to platform. They're a lot more like the Goomba's in a Mario game rather than the enemies in God of War. Therefore, I believe that a 3D Castlevania should have a very simple combat system. The enemy difficulty should not lie in their amount of health, but in their positioning.

manzo

Dascu said:
Indeed. It's important to remember that the CV games are first and foremost about platforming, with the enemies being additional variables to take in mind. The enemies aren't there to fight you, there just there as another obstacle while jumping from platform to platform. They're a lot more like the Goomba's in a Mario game rather than the enemies in God of War. Therefore, I believe that a 3D Castlevania should have a very simple combat system. The enemy difficulty should not lie in their amount of health, but in their positioning.

But isn't that the hardest aspect when moving a game from 2D to 3D? I'd be interested to see some good examples of how to counter this.

Dascu

manzo said:
But isn't that the hardest aspect when moving a game from 2D to 3D? I'd be interested to see some good examples of how to counter this.
For one, I think they should take a closer look to other 3D platformers or maybe even the Zelda series. But yeah, it's incredibly hard to design levels like this in a 3D game. You don't have the same level of precision and control that a 2D game has. This is the challenge the game developers need to conquer, instead of (seemingly) not bothering with it and going for the God of War-approach.

manzo

Dascu said:
For one, I think they should take a closer look to other 3D platformers or maybe even the Zelda series. But yeah, it's incredibly hard to design levels like this in a 3D game. You don't have the same level of precision and control that a 2D game has. This is the challenge the game developers need to conquer, instead of (seemingly) not bothering with it and going for the God of War-approach.

Exactly what Mercury Steam seems to be doing - taking the GoW approach. I find this very troubling, since my main gripe in GoW games have been their boring level design. GoW games seem to blow their load in the first parts of the game, making the later levels boring as hell.

But the main issue here is that they're not making a 3D platformer. I'm guessing their "platforming" scenes are simple "press button to activate a QTE event" style sections.

Since Mercury Steam hasn't produced anything that I like, I'm keeping my expectations low. One thing does make me feel good; they can't fail as hard as IGA did in LoI. :D

Jay Sosa

Definitly looks interesting, just hope that there is enough to explore. Hate open worlds when theres nothing (interesting) to do.

Still want a 2D HD Castlevania though even if it's just for Live/PSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom