• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow announced for PS3/X360. 3D reboot of classic CV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
Swittcher said:
Fair enough, in my neck of the woods, that last testing type is very uncommon, as in...never.

But hey, if that's how they develop action games in Spain, then good for them.

Are you referring to the 20-or-so-minute reel Dave Cox internally showed to Konami or something? He mentioned that on his Twitter some time ago.

sooo they showed a very dramatic tension scene from the game but everyone who saw out burst into uncontrollable laughter or something ?

NeoUltima

Foffy said:
Are you referring to the 20-or-so-minute reel Dave Cox internally showed to Konami or something? He mentioned that on his Twitter some time ago.
And he said they loved it/it was a great day.

Swittcher said:
I already sent out a few PMs. I can't say much more, alright? Sorry to be cryptic, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble.
Well where's mine?
vwsby1.jpg

Apath

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I think it's unwarranted. People are too quick to say "ZOMG LORDS OF SHADOW: A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME ALL OVER MA FACE" when his capacity as a producer isn't entirely known. Same story with ZOE2 (and maybe ZOE1) - it was his underdog, Shuyo Murata who helmed such a brilliant game.
Really? :O Wow, Kojima -respect. In fact, any respect I had for him was because of ZOE.

Kenak said:
Really? :O Wow, Kojima -respect. In fact, any respect I had for him was because of ZOE.

Just looked up ZOE1 - director was a guy called Noriaki Okamura. Shuyo Murata directed ZOE2 (and would late co-direct and co-write MGS4). Hideo Kojima produced and co-designed both ZOE titles; it's likely that some aspects you love could be attributed to him. They aren't really 'his' games though, only games made by his studio.

Alastor

nskinnear said:
15ee1g.jpg

New info coming in the March issue.

That was also my first impression, but I see this now very clear - the design of main character is, for me, flawless. Badassery combined with some subtle touches... He might actually be designed better than Kratos, but I'll wait with that till I see the in-game model ;) Definitely better than the mess that is Dante from DI, through.

Alastor said:
That was also my first impression, but I see this now very clear - the design of main character is, for me, flawless. Badassery combined with some subtle touches... He might actually be designed better than Kratos, but I'll wait with that till I see the in-game model ;) Definitely better than the mess that is Dante from DI, through.

yes. Much better than Dante for sure

Alastor said:
Let's not go nuts, but yeah it is pretty awesome that's for sure.
Edit:
On second glance I think his head could stand to be a tad bigger or at least cut back on the shoulders a little. He's got a bit of a pinhead going there in that pic, might be the angle though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How is Kratos amazingly designed? Serious question.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BloodySinner said:
How isn't he?
But he's bald... his blades are cool though.

Sutanreyu

Man. First time looking through this thread. I was looking forward to this game but I didn't know next to nothing about other than Kojima's studio is working on it. Open world action game? Sign me the hell up. My magnum opus is going to be somewhere along those lines...

Yoshichan said:
How is Kratos amazingly designed? Serious question.

take a look at Kratos illustration and he comes across very intimidating, brutal, and you don't want to mess with him. you get this before you even play the game at all.

look at Dante's(dmc) art, his facial expression and poses immediately tell that he's cocky and arrogant. enough to make you want to know more about him.

those two are example of great design. now take a look at Dante (inferno) and he comes across as goofy.his gimmick (red cross stitched on his skin) didn't look as cool as Kratos gimmick (ash white skin color and red tatoo). maybe there's deeper meaning behind the red cross and it all make sense when you play the game (I haven't), but nevertheless, it doesn't make a good first impression. while Kratos looks cool with or without the backstory of how it's the ashes of his family.

this new caslevania dude certainly looks good. but lacking some impact and memorable gimmick (Kratos white skin and red tatoo, Dante's white hair and red coat). maybe I'll like him more after I know his story in the game. but currently he's not on Kratos and Dante's level yet.

I hope this turns out well. At least it won't be a 8 hour long game like some other God of War wannabe we know.

I'm a little doubtful about the Jericho developers handling this game but hopefully Kojima and his team backs them up and looks out for them to make the game great.

Cynar

sad, I clicked this thread expecting new info but instead it's pretty much just a junior spouting nonsense like this were gamefaqs or something

Yoshichan

Bloodrage said:
You mean it isn't blatantly obvious?

...He needs this.

2v14v4o.jpg
:lol What the...

Cynar said:
sad, I clicked this thread expecting new info but instead it's pretty much just a junior spouting nonsense like this were gamefaqs or something
Yeah I know. I've been lurking* this thread for a while and when I heard about this new Spanish mag had some info about the game I was sure that the posters here would talking about that instead of some members nonsense post. Anyways, back on topic...

Someone on one of the 'vania message boards translated some of it and apparently this game was going to be a remake of Castlevania. Alot of people (myself included) thought Gabriel's armor was reminiscent of CV2 Simon. Now with this new info, you can definitely see it.

Sutanreyu said:
Open world action game? Sign me the hell up.
Umm... In case you didn't know, this game isn't going to be open world. I don't know where the OP got the idea that this was so. Never has Dave Cox or anyone associated with this game stated that it would be open world. Cox has said that it will be linear with occasional alternating paths ala Rondo or CV3. We seriously need to get someone in hear to change the thread title so misinformation like that doesn't keep perpetuating.

*Went to register today so I could post in this topic. Turns out I had registered back in April of '08 and forgot about it till now:lol :lol :lol

Not sure if anyone saw this yet but I'll post it anyway. Dave Cox posted this on twitter the other day. Enjoy

Dave Cox said:
Castlevania LOS is a CG free zone.Everything we have shown including the trailers is in game and rendered using the game engine. Official!!

Salz01

Henchmen21 said:
Not sure if anyone saw this yet but I'll post it anyway. Dave Cox posted this on twitter the other day. Enjoy

Finally something at least new and interesting. I'm thinking we'll probably get more new info closer to E3 or April.

Okay, Someone from one of the Castlevania Forums just put scans of the whole article. I was going to post them here but they come up too large and I don't know how to shrink them.

Edit: Woops didn't know that. Link removed.

Dascu

Henchmen21 said:
Okay, Someone from one of the Castlevania Forums just put scans of the whole article. I was going to post them here but they come up too large and I don't know how to shrink them.
Posting magazine scans is against the rules. Better remove that link fast.

Peff

You'd better remove the link and pass it through PM because it can get you banned. I'll edit with some translations.

EDIT:

-Kojima's role is telling them what he thinks could be improved, not just about the gameplay, but also marketing, PR, graphics... it's not "You have to do this", but rather "I like it but this would make it even better". He's been in Madrid supervising stuff and his team helped with the face animations.
-The game is not like God of War or Devil May Cry, the team is trying to create a different, darker atmosphere. It has a lot more platforming, plenty of puzzles and a moving love story.
-Originally, the project was going to be a remake of the first Castlevania, but since Castlevania IV was already a remake, they went on to create a 3D version of this style of Castlevania whose core was action and platforming. Super Castlevania IV is their "Bible".
-Both primary and secondary weapons can be upgraded, there are also relics which grant new abilities to Gabriel (probably the usual stuff like Double Jump).
-Battle system is not about mashing buttons but about strategy, which has been taken into account when designing enemies and backgrounds.
-They want to create a living world which they feel is missing in other action games and it's a part of the Castlevania series. Gabriel is strong, but also has a softer side.
-Even though the higher ups loved their tech and the Castlevania demo Mercury Steam showed, the project took some time to get started because they felt taking the series in a new direction wouldn't work, which is why the game was first announced as "Lord of Shadows". When they demoed it again with Kojima in the room, he immediately wanted to support the project, and so it was finally green-lit.
-It will be shown at E3, the masks from the teaser site play a big role in the game.

Peff said:
-Battle system is not about mashing buttons but about strategy, which has been taken into account when designing enemies and backgrounds.
Now see that's got me curious. Lol what can I say, I'm a button-masher.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
It looks like all the media in the scans were taken from the trailer that was released ages ago. This is one of my most anticipated games, but I just don't see the point in doing another remake. They just did that with Lament of Innocence. Anyway, I hope the game turns out well.

jett

D-Member
These say it's more MACHOOR than God of War, and that castlevania is more grounded in reality(yeah with zombies and vampires...er uh...).

Honestly it's kind of a meh article with very little information and virtually no new media to speak of. That David Cox sure liked talking about GOW though. :p

Wish some kind mod could remove that damn mis-information from the thread title about it being Open World. Clearly is confusing people already and will no doubt have a backlash when the games shown.

Sounding good though from the info, looking forward to gameplay demos at E3 then!

Dascu

Vitet said:
Oh God, that's my favorite Castlevania. Amazing
It's not particularly shocking that they're taking their inspiration from the fan-favourite of the non-IGAvanias. The issure remains to be seen whether they can manage to adapt that kind of gameplay to 3D. Their previous games weren't really amazing, and I didn't quite like the look (well, glimpses) of the combat in the previous trailers. So... I'm rather pessimistic about Castlevania: Lords of Shadow so far.

New interview up on VG247. Based on his replies, I'm starting to like Dave Cox more and more.

Edit: Lol they mention Robert Carlyle being in the game but not Patrick Stewart? How do you gloss over Captain Freakin' Picard?:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom