• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow announced for PS3/X360. 3D reboot of classic CV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
im carefully sceptic about this game. us castlevania fans have gotten burned so badly with all previous 3D iterations...

but the thought of this being somewhat a crossbreed of god of war and arkham asylum :p

Chemo

SolidSnakex said:
Yesss
SolidSnakex said:
Yesss
SolidSnakex said:
Yesss

Peace out Yamane, I'm so fucking sick of you and everyone else who had anything to do with IGA-era Castlevanias. Hope to never see you, or Ayane Kojima, on CV again, and if we're lucky, IGA has been demoted back to dating sims and he won't ever get another chance to run the franchise further into the ground.

This whole situation is playing out kind of like Castlevania dev team fan fiction. Just a little more fan service and we're so there, reality.

I hope the platforming is actually somewhat of a challenge and not the guided "can't fail" type of platforming like, say, Uncharted(a game which I really enjoyed I might add). I'm not saying it has to be "Luigi's purple coins" on every twist and turn, but at least be something I have to actually pay attention to.

Synless

Chemo said:
Yesss

Yesss

Yesss

Peace out Yamane, I'm so fucking sick of you and everyone else who had anything to do with IGA-era Castlevanias. Hope to never see you, or Ayane Kojima, on CV again, either, and if we're lucky, IGA has been demoted back to dating sims and he won't ever get another chance to run the franchise further into the ground.

This whole situation is playing out kind of like Castlevania dev team fan fiction. Just a little more fan service and we're so there, reality.
Its funny you should say that because OoE was great and so were the two before it.

Chemo

Synless said:
Its funny you should say that because OoE was great and so were the two before it.
If you have low standards, probably.

I can't help but not even be a little bit sorry when I say I hope you and all of the people like you never get another IGA Castlevania again. I'm sick of my ex-favorite franchise being absolute dogshit, and welcome this chance for redemption with open arms.

Anyway, this thread is a celebration for the new, not a defense force assembly for the old. Let's stay on topic and talk about the new game (and how awesome it is that the old team is nowhere to be seen).

sphinx

the piano man
Chemo said:

I can't help but not even be a little bit sorry when I say I hope you and all of the people like you never get another IGA Castlevania again. I'm sick of my ex-favorite franchise being absolute dogshit, and welcome this chance for redemption with open arms.

Anyway, this thread is a celebration for the new, not a defense force assembly for the old. Let's stay on topic and talk about the new game (and how awesome it is that the old team is nowhere to be seen).

What the fuck do you have against CV on DS (and PSP)? in any case, be mad at the trash the PS2/xbox games were, THOSE are far from epic and only liked by people with low standards.

castlevania, on nintendo handhelds specially, have been traditionally good.

The series don't need fans like you, really.

Ridley327

Does Konami have any composers of note anymore? Hibino left a couple of years ago, Yamaoka left a few months ago and now Yamane is gone. It appears we have something of a growing trend in Japan right now; I wonder what's up.

NeoUltima

They probably just realize they can make more money and have more creative freedom with freelance. Like how it is in the West(I think).

Synless

Chemo said:

:lol, low standards eh? Whatever, they scored well and were well received. I love the look and feel of this new one and am happy they are moving in a new direction but to say the old ones were horrible is ridiculous.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Chemo said:
Peace out Yamane, I'm so fucking sick of you and everyone else who had anything to do with IGA-era Castlevanias.

Yeah, she's like... what again?

I can understand getting sick of IGA-vania
I love them btw
style Cvs because you want something different, but bashing Yamane is just wrong. She's just one of those composers who makes consistently great tunes. If you ask me, she's more or less part of the very essence that makes up Castlevania, and her getting off the Cv train is a great loss. I sure hope whoever replaces her is worthy, but I seriously doubt it.

Ranger X

Chemo said:
Peace out Yamane, I'm so fucking sick of you

WUT?
She made the best music the series ever offered!
I sure wouldn't want the quality of the soundtracks to drop. And if she's not there it will means its very likely to happen.

TreIII

Ranger X said:
WUT?
She made the best music the series ever offered!
I sure wouldn't want the quality of the soundtracks to drop. And if she's not there it will means its very likely to happen.

Alright, see? I like Yamane's stuff as much as the next reasonable sort, and will miss her contributions.

But I'll be honest. She didn't even have a part in my personal favorite games in the series!

CV3: Drac's Curse? Super Castlevania? Rondo of Blood (PC Engine original)? Circle of the Moon? Yamane had no part in those games, and those games have some of the best tracks in the series.

But the bottom line is: plenty of good people have made good music in the series before Yamane, and hopefully, that trend will continue as she may not be an active part. So I'm not about to break myself over Yamane. Not when I don't even have that much reason to be emotionally attached to her. :lol

Sword Familiar

TreIII said:
Alright, see? I like Yamane's stuff as much as the next reasonable sort, and will miss her contributions.

But I'll be honest. She didn't even have a part in my personal favorite games in the series!

CV3: Drac's Curse? Super Castlevania? Rondo of Blood (PC Engine original)? Circle of the Moon? Yamane had no part in those games, and those games have some of the best tracks in the series.

But the bottom line is: plenty of good people have made good music in the series before Yamane, and hopefully, that trend will continue as she may not be an active part. So I'm not about to break myself over Yamane. Not when I don't even have that much reason to be emotionally attached to her. :lol

If not Yamane, then bring back Kinuyo Yamashita (James Banana) :) Besides, CotM isn't a very good example since it has almost exclusively reused tunes.

Seriously though, although what you said is true and those games do have great soundtracks, what I'm afraid will happen with this "Kojivania", or whatever we'll start calling them, is that the music will take a backseat position and only be present in the form of tuneless hymns and pomp, like that found in many movies. Maybe it works when telling a story because it fits the overall atmosphere, but it's almost never memorable because there's nothing to hold onto, and imo that's not what Castlevania is about.

I hope as much as anyone to be proven wrong on this, but if the trailers have anything to say about how the musical character of the next Castlevania will sound it troubles me a great deal.

TreIII

Sword Familiar said:
Besides, CotM isn't a very good example since it has almost exclusively reused tunes.

Hey, if people are free to love Yamane for her arrangements/reuses of various old school tunes, I say it's fair game to love COTM for the same. :lol

Seriously though, although what you said is true and those games do have great soundtracks, what I'm afraid will happen with this "Kojivania", or whatever we'll start calling them, is that the music will take a backseat position and only be present in the form of tuneless hymns and pomp, like that found in many movies. Maybe it works when telling a story because it fits the overall atmosphere, but it's almost never memorable because there's nothing to hold onto, and imo that's not what Castlevania is about.

I hope as much as anyone to be proven wrong on this, but if the trailers have anything to say about how the musical character of the next Castlevania will sound it troubles me a great deal.

To me, since they went ahead and SAID that Super Castlevania is not only Cox's favorite game, but possibly the direct inspiration for this title? I'm expecting the OST to be similar in tone.

Atmospheric for the most part, with some key tunes reserved for certain areas/bosses. Wouldn't mind that at all, since Super is basically my fave game as well. :D

Sword Familiar said:
If not Yamane, then bring back Kinuyo Yamashita
She composed less than seven minutes of music for the series...

TreIII said:
To me, since they went ahead and SAID that Super Castlevania is not only Cox's favorite game, but possibly the direct inspiration for this title? I'm expecting the OST to be similar in tone.

Atmospheric for the most part, with some key tunes reserved for certain areas/bosses. Wouldn't mind that at all, since Super is basically my fave game as well. :D
I'm hoping for orchestral and ambient compositions, akin to Super Castlevania IV and the N64 titles, but we'll probably get some plump "epic"-sounding bam-bam-bam melodies. :(

Sword Familiar said:

exactly my thoughts. i listen to older CV tunes to this day, especially rondo of blood. rebdbook audio on game CDs = win!

somehow i doubt this new CV can bring the genius of the classics back.

Anony

Chemo said:
Yesss

Yesss

Yesss

Peace out Yamane, I'm so fucking sick of you and everyone else who had anything to do with IGA-era Castlevanias. Hope to never see you, or Ayane Kojima, on CV again, and if we're lucky, IGA has been demoted back to dating sims and he won't ever get another chance to run the franchise further into the ground.

fuck off, thanks

Sword Familiar

TreIII said:
Hey, if people are free to love Yamane for her arrangements/reuses of various old school tunes, I say it's fair game to love COTM for the same. :lol

Fair enough.

To each his/her own, I guess.

Prime Blue said:
She composed less than seven minutes of music for the series...

It was a joke. Besides, she probably wouldn't cut it. Her latest contribution to gaming is the music heard in the walk it out wii trailer :p. Oh how she's fallen.

Sword Familiar said:
It was a joke. Besides, she probably wouldn't cut it. Her latest contribution to gaming is the music heard in the walk it out wii trailer :p. Oh how she's fallen.

that's wrong. her recent arrangement for dodonpachi is flat out incredible. give her the chance to do CV and she'll do it better than most other composers would.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Sword Familiar said:
Seriously though, although what you said is true and those games do have great soundtracks, what I'm afraid will happen with this "Kojivania", or whatever we'll start calling them, is that the music will take a backseat position and only be present in the form of tuneless hymns and pomp, like that found in many movies. Maybe it works when telling a story because it fits the overall atmosphere, but it's almost never memorable because there's nothing to hold onto, and imo that's not what Castlevania is about..

i feel this way about nearly all game music these days. the majority of it is becoming ambient john williams wannabe bullshit. when a game with great catchy music that gets stuck in your head for days comes along, it's a rare thing now. that's a far cry from older games, which often--even for a really shitty game--had pretty excellent music, or at least very memorable music.

beelzebozo said:
i feel this way about nearly all game music these days. the majority of it is becoming ambient john williams wannabe bullshit. when a game with great catchy music that gets stuck in your head for days comes along, it's a rare thing now. that's a far cry from older games, which often--even for a really shitty game--had pretty excellent music, or at least very memorable music.

can't state this enough: to hell with generic movie blockbuster soundtracks.

Erm, IGA hate I can understand (don't personally agree, but I understand). Yamane hate? There aren't that many great composers in the video games industry that you should be happy when one leaves. That's Chemo for ya, though.

NeoUltima

Augemitbutter said:
somehow i doubt this new CV can bring the genius of the classics back.
Well...they are remixing many classic tunes. So even if Oscar's original works lack genius, there will still be some(unless he totally butchers the remixes).

(source is old ListenUp from gc)

Sword Familiar

Augemitbutter said:
that's wrong. her recent arrangement for dodonpachi is flat out incredible. give her the chance to do CV and she'll do it better than most other composers would.

She's fallen since that :p

Naw, but I'm sure she'd be able to make a great soundtrack for a Castlevania game again, if someone would let her. She doesn't seem to get that many good games to work with, but her music is good nonetheless (aside from that walk it out trailer).

Brera

Banned
Simply cannot wait for this game!

From the 1st trailer, it had Super Castlevania written all over it! SCV4 is clearly the best CV game with the best music, as long as they channel that SNES energy and atmosphere, this will be GOTY material!

Oh and I'm a fully paid up Igahater. That hack single handedly destroyed not just the Castlevania series but also Metroid as well with his generic metroidvania clones!

Ridley327

Brera said:
Oh and I'm a fully paid up Igahater. That hack single handedly destroyed not just the Castlevania series but also Metroid as well with his generic metroidvania clones!

I..uhh...err...

What?

Desi

Prime Blue said:
Come on, no one can beat him though when it comes to being a misogynist prick who doesn't want to acknowledge the work of other people.

24xoydv.png
i always thought Sonia would just be labeled as Leon's daughter. since Leon never really fought Dracula just started the feud. Making it so she is the first to confront Dracula as a vampire. Oh and I guess Sonia just decided to keep her last name/wasn't married. I need to check wiki then.

Though I don't know what Iga said on the matter.

edit: aw fuck my timeline is way off. 1094-1400's well fuck it.

As long as they still keep making Metroidvanias for the DS, I honestly couldn't care less about what they do with the 3D console versions.
If they're good, I'll get them, but don't stop the DS versions.

Considering that this has been repeatedly confirmed as a linear, level-based game that is in no way open-world, would it be too much to ask for a mod to change the title?

Vipershark said:
As long as they still keep making Metroidvanias for the DS, I honestly couldn't care less about what they do with the 3D console versions.
If they're good, I'll get them, but don't stop the DS versions.

Have to agree, they have all been great and unlike the GBA versions they've actually evolved quite nicely without breaking anything :D Loved all the different locations in Portrait and Ecclesia...

andymcc

Banned
i like my castlevania soundtracks to have strong melodies and be generally awesome. i don't want ambient orchestral shit like every other western action game out there. argh.

Cep

Banned
andymcc said:
i like my castlevania soundtracks to have strong melodies and be generally awesome. i don't want ambient orchestral shit like every other western action game out there. argh.

You will take the ambient orchestral shit and love it.

As much as I love Castlevania, I really don`t care if this game tries to give any homage to past Castlevanias.

I want this game to give me something I didn`t even know I wanted from a Castlevania title. That being said, if the game could be hard but fair, like the old Castlevanias, they will have my support.

hipgnosis

andymcc said:

So much truth in this post, I've grown sick of all the ambient epic orchestral shit.

tzare

andymcc said:

well, SOTN had a very different soundtrack,compared to most castlevania games,much more on the orchestral side, and was awesome.

we will see. If the trailer is any indicative, it seems to go the right way

I don't think that they would've used Yamane even if she was still at Konami. From everything that they've said about the game it seems like they're trying to distance themselves from anything Iga related.

Desi said:
i always thought Sonia would just be labeled as Leon's daughter. since Leon never really fought Dracula just started the feud. Making it so she is the first to confront Dracula as a vampire. Oh and I guess Sonia just decided to keep her last name/wasn't married. I need to check wiki then.

Though I don't know what Iga said on the matter.

edit: aw fuck my timeline is way off. 1094-1400's well fuck it.
Originally, the game was just set "in the Middle Ages". Then sometime around the year 2000, KONAMI released a timeline that placed it in 1450 (originally from here).

And after that, IGA being fascist, threw out the four games he didn't work on and were released before he was made producer of the series (Legends, the N64 games and Circle of the Moon) and created his own line of events. Since Legends still didn't contradict anything though, an additional timeline was released in 2005 where he just made up that the death of Dracula's wife Lisa took place somewhere in the 1470s so his war on mankind couldn't have started in or before 1450.

Some select quotes by IGA:

EGM from 2003 (December issue?) said:
EGM: Would you make a Castlevania with a female main character?

IGA: Hm, there are difficult problems with that. As a gamer, I think that you become one with the character, and since Castlevania has a lot of male players, it's natural to have male characters. In Rondo of Blood, Maria was a silly, cute aside, but you still had Richter to make it serious. Plus, Mr. Hagihara (the director) had a playful sense of humor. He worked on Symphony as well, and he made the telescope part where, if you pan over to the left you can see a little mouse, and also where Alucard can sit down on the chair and prop his feet up.

EGM: After Tomb Raider, don't you think a female character is more acceptable?

IGA: It's possible I guess. Although, I purposefully left the Sonia Belmont character (from Castlevania: Legends for GBC) out of the official Castlevania chronology. (laughs) Usually, the vampire storyline motifs, females tend to be sacrificed. It's easier to come up with weak, feminine characters. I'll think about it more in the future, though. It's tough to fit a female hero into the early history of Castlevania, but as you move into the modern day, females can then more easily become a hero.

EGM August 2007 said:
If you had to play a Castlevania game all the way through, which would be the worst to suffer through?

IGA: Castlevania Lengends for Game Boy. I hate Sonia Belmont—she has the worst whipping animation ever.

1UP feature "Tales From The Crypt" said:
"These games were taken out of the timeline," Igarashi says, "not because I didn't work on them, but because they were considered by their directors to be side projects in the series, especially Legacy of Darkness and Circle of the Moon." he explains. "The only exception to this trend is Dark Prelude (Castlevania Legends) - I intentionally redacted it from the timeline so that it doesn't conflict with the timing used in other titles."

Basically, he didn't threw Legends out because it contradicted his scenarios, but because he can't stand the fact that there's a female Belmont, let alone a woman to be the first to battle Dracula.

Lords of Shadow seems to be some "alternate universe" yet again, so it will be interesting to see who wrote the story and if IGA has some involvement with it (though I think it's best to keep him away from the pencils as far as possible).

Brera said:
Simply cannot wait for this game!

From the 1st trailer, it had Super Castlevania written all over it! SCV4 is clearly the best CV game with the best music, as long as they channel that SNES energy and atmosphere, this will be GOTY material!

Disagreed on both counts.

SCV4 was lacked the challenge and replayability of the best old-school CVs (Rondo and CV3), and its soundtrack was IMO garish and at times anemic.

And while Iga's Metroidvanias don't hold a candle to the best Metroids, they're still quite good.

sphinx said:
What the fuck do you have against CV on DS (and PSP)? in any case, be mad at the trash the PS2/xbox games were, THOSE are far from epic and only liked by people with low standards.

castlevania, on nintendo handhelds specially, have been traditionally good.

The series don't need fans like you, really.

He's just hepped up on goofballs on that matter. He thinks all of Iga's games are dogcrap compared to SotN, even though they did away with that game's fat starting with AoS.

TreIII said:

Yamane's stuff (and most of the games associated) > Super CV4 and especially CotM.

This is truly the year of the God of War clone.

I dunno, man. Whenever I see another 3d Castlevania being previewed, I shudder just a little bit. I wish Konami would start thinking about doing another 2d castlevania, but with current gen power behind those sprites.

Hey. A man can dream.

DidntKnowJack said:
This is truly the year of the God of War clone.

I dunno, man. Whenever I see another 3d Castlevania being previewed, I shudder just a little bit. I wish Konami would start thinking about doing another 2d castlevania, but with current gen power behind those sprites.

Hey. A man can dream.

A console 2d CV you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom