• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (formerly NPD) February 2023: PS5 #1 in Units and Dollars, Switch #2, and Xbox #3 in Units

onQ123

It could also be the other way round. Since SX stocks are not gret and people are not too interested in SS the Xbox sales are low. The difference between Switch and Xbox may be very less with in 10K ? The only number they provided is PS5 was 29% higher compared to Feb 2022.
PS5 isn't 29% higher that was the industry as a whole.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Feb 2005 Hardware

PS2 = 533,000
Xbox = 212,000
GCN = 116,000

So PS5 sold over 533,000 in February 2023 in the US.
shocked holy shit GIF

AlexxKidd

the one's so in denial that they pretend its not #1 are the funniest to me, literally so scared of a videogame... lol

The scared of being banned if they mention He Who Shall Not Be Named so they go obnoxiously overboard to placate their fear-mongering mods by acting like what could end up being the No. 1 selling game of the year - a game made for children by the way - doesn't exist because of its association with its author. Meanwhile Saudi Arabia is collecting bigger and bigger percentage checks from their increasing Nintendo investments but don't expect the same energy cause Rowling is much worse, obviously.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think this is when sony cut the price of that slim model down to either $150 or $99.

i remember buying one in 2005 to replace my DRE infected OG PS2.
Yeah, I bought the slim for $99 brand new with MLB 06: The Show back then because 2K's "next-gen" baseball was so garbage on the 360, that a previous gen's game looked (animations wise) and played so much better.

Hogwarts being first in sales on Xbox seems to contradict the notion that Xbox games don't sell. This was true even with less consoles sold. Of course MS doesn't rely solely on console sales to compete in this industry so that isn't the same as the other two console makers. Interesting indeed.

I think this is when sony cut the price of that slim model down to either $150 or $99.

i remember buying one in 2005 to replace my DRE infected OG PS2.
February 2005 is the month Gran Turismo 4 came out. And yeah Gamestop had a crazy trade in deal for the Slim model that month, I traded in my sketchy original model for a Slim console and it cost me very little, like less than $50 I think.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Hogwarts being first in sales on Xbox seems to contradict the notion that Xbox games don't sell. This was true even with less consoles sold. Of course MS doesn't rely solely on console sales to compete in this industry so that isn't the same as the other two console makers. Interesting indeed.

lol what a weird comment. Something will always be at #1. That's how lists work.

Sonic Frontiers has legs even at full price. Actually I am not sure if it was full price in February but its shows $59.99 on the Xbox store right now. Its still getting extremely high user reviews so word of mouth is positive and helping sales.

Its going to keep selling IMO for a few reasons
- Sonic Prime will be back with a 2nd season and we could see a bump similar to TLOU from fans of the show that want to check out the new game
- Free content including new playable characters(knuckles, Tails, Amy) that are rumored in the fall
- I would expect more price cuts in the summer and fall
- Sonic Origins Ultimate is coming out and people that beat that game are going to want more Sonic.

You can pretend it's in last place of that makes you feel better. Rankings are rankings. There's always going to be something in 1st place.

Edit: NVM you were joking.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

How does that even work?
The notion that Xbox games don't sell would mean that Hogwarts can't be first?
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Right, Microsoft games....Microsoft didnt publish or own Hogawarts Legacy? When people say Xbox games, they mean exclusive games published by Microsoft that isnt available on playstation.

jm89

Feb 2005 Hardware

PS2 = 533,000
Xbox = 212,000
GCN = 116,000

So PS5 sold over 533,000 in February 2023 in the US.
March numbers will be interesting.

They got a lot of standalones and digitals in march aswell.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MS doesn't need to focus on selling console like sony/nintendo do, so not really an accurate metric for people to be dooming and glooming with hyperbole lol, also SX stock is limited currently. And Xbox games are on Game Pass too.
This is one of the biggest fallacies perpetuated. In order to grow subs for your loss-leading service and get them in a more stable black, you need to grow console sales for new subscribers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom