• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (formerly NPD) February 2023: PS5 #1 in Units and Dollars, Switch #2, and Xbox #3 in Units

Adam_802

Where's Atomic Heart in the charts? We were told the Gamepass increases game sale, but it is nowhere to be found in the top 20 list.

Its too bad that they conveniently decided not to provide the individual platform charts as well. I bet MS requested they not publicly provide that as well. They must keep that narrative going.
Lol its obviously not gonna be on the list bc many people played it on GP. Doens't mean it failed if everyone's playing it. Sounds like you're mad it was well received?

Mr.Phoenix

Hogwarts being first in sales on Xbox seems to contradict the notion that Xbox games don't sell. This was true even with less consoles sold. Of course MS doesn't rely solely on console sales to compete in this industry so that isn't the same as the other two console makers. Interesting indeed.

First in sales on any specific platform is not the same thing as saying something sold well or sells well on that platform. Thats like someone saying I just beat the record for fastest 100m dash in my class bu 1.5secs, but failing to mention the record stood at 30secs.

Thirty7ven

Banned
PS brand is literally at peak right now. Over 533k in February is insane and what's even more crazy is it won't let up if sony want to hit their forecast. Imo they stay no 1 every month this year. Even on zelda and starfield launch.

Resident Evil 4 Remake just dropped and made 3 million in two days or something? Isn’t Jedi Survivor dropping in April?

Street Fighter and Final Fantasy in June?

It will be a record year.

Hogwarts being first in sales on Xbox seems to contradict the notion that Xbox games don't sell. This was true even with less consoles sold. Of course MS doesn't rely solely on console sales to compete in this industry so that isn't the same as the other two console makers. Interesting indeed.

Does it? What are sales break down per system?

Laugh Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Oh I wonder which company is always trying to hide shit when it comes to numbers and sales.

funny how sales numbers disappeared at the start of the xbox one generation. easy to figure out why.

Holy shit...PS5 selling more than half a million...in february :messenger_tears_of_joy:

in just the US. PlayStation sells alot more in europe than it does in US. so massive sales worldwide.

Flutta

Banned
Over 20+Million boxes in peoples hands so far. Really good.

Lol Its a new huge Bethesda game. Wierd thing to downplay....Its gonna sell like crazy obviously.

”Sell like crazy” where? On Xbox or PC?

GP will kill any potential sales milestone that game has.

Not sure if PC GP has Starfield day one but i do still believe it will sell the most on PC not Xbox not even close. Also they game is not on PS5 that alone is going to have a big effect on sales for Starfield. Obviously MS don’t care about that but That’s besides the point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
funny how sales numbers disappeared at the start of the xbox one generation. easy to figure out why.
And now this too:
I'm really curious why we won't be getting platform-specific charts anymore?
Funny, indeed.

Not sure if PC GP has Starfield day one but i do still believe it will sell the most on PC not Xbox not even close. Also they game is not on PS5 that alone is going to have a big effect on sales for Starfield. Obviously MS don’t care about that but That’s besides the point.
Bethesda lost their #1 sales platform.

Last edited:

Adam_802

Doesn't matter if its on GP or an a la carte sale. People will get it and play it. Also LOL, Starfield doesn't need to be on PS to succeed. That's a hilarious fallacy....

Last edited:

Labadal

I'm glad to see that both Like A Dragon: Ishin!, and Octopath Traveler II made top 10. US saving both games, maybe.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Doesn't matter if its on GP or an a la carte sale. People will get it and play it. Also LOL, Starfield doesn't need to be on PS to succeed. That's a hilarious fallacy....
He never mentioned anything about "succeed." He just said sales will have a "big effect," and they will. Bethesda indeed lost their number one sales platform.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Nautilus

Banned
Isn't this where you always post you see PS sales falling hard and how it's becoming irrelevant.

You say that in every sales chart regardless of how well it sells. What's the delay this month?

But, I'll agree Octopath Traveler 2 is great. Wish it was doing better, as I want more stuff like it.
?

Media Create thread is only tomorrow, buddy. If your reading comprehension isn't entirely busted, what I've said this entire time is that Sony and PS5 sales(hardware and software) are doing poorly in Japan, to put it mildly, but its doing great worldwide, as shown by worldwide sales and how confident Sony is in its forecast.

Because you know, Media Create threads are about Japan. Because you know, the data we get there is about Japan, and not anywhere else.

Last edited:
What's interesting is that they are releasing their biggest game of the year exactly when Xbox also releases Starfield.

Seems like everything will be September: Starfield, Spider-Man 2 and the new PS5 sku. Meaning that PS5 probably has the entire 2023 at #1.

Adam_802

You just posted numbers from the same source but they're different... That should tell you something.
Um....Different sources that both say around the same. We dont have the exact numbers so its obvously gonna vary a bit. And are you saying the 20m is wrong?

I'm actually surprised. I knew the PS5 would do well but not this well.

I like my console a lot but I still find it surprising that its exceeding so many people expectations.

its not surprising when you consider that sony themselves increased their forecast. they could have stuck to 5m for the quarter to be safe but they increased it to 6m. they knew they would hit it because they will sell every system they manufacture with ease. the demand is as strong as ever. now that the stock is sorted, we are seeing that.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

VGChartz
Ampere Analysis

Excuse Me What GIF by Naughty Dog
Yeah I get VGChartz and VGChronicles confused but still neither source is able to come up with a solid figure since it's all based on estimations. Also you're going to lose your argument once you bring up VGChartz. They had to scramble and adjust their numbers last year once the official NPD figures leaked.

Kvally

Banned
Yeah I get VGChartz and VGChronicles confused but still neither source is able to come up with a solid figure since it's all based on estimations. Also you're going to lose your argument once you bring up VGChartz. They had to scramble and adjust their numbers last year once the official NPD figures leaked.
Until MS gives us numbers, it will always be a stab in the dark. Oh well, just give us the games you have promised, that is all that matters to me.

Flutta

Banned

Of course it matters if it's on GP or not. Microsoft has admitted that Game Pass is “killing” game sales. This is a sales thread buddy.

Depends what you mean by success or more importantly what Bethesda sees as successful. One thing is for sure not having Starfield in one of the biggest gaming platforms on the planet will def effect the success of this game, it's biz 101. Back to school.. boy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

xbox being over 20m is unlikely. going by the leaks last year, it barely scraped 10m in US by end of 2022, which is its strongest market by far. worldwide it was probably somewhere around 15m-16m at end of 2022. theres no way xbox has sold another 4m since then. impossible actually.

Adam_802

Of course it matters if it's on GP or not. Microsoft has admitted that Game Pass is “killing” game sales. This is a sales thread buddy.

Depends what you mean by success or more importantly what Bethesda sees as successful. One thing is for sure not having Starfield in one of the biggest gaming platforms on the planet will def effect the success of this game, it's biz 101. Back to school.. boy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

BACk t0 ScHO0l,,b0Y lol

Whether someone buys it a la carte or plays through GP, the dev gets payed either way (by consumer or MS) and the game gets attention and played. No difference to them, just gives fanboys less ammo to compare on their charts

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bethesda didn't lose PC.

Theres a reason why Bethesda never prioritized the PS versions of their games. I'll let you figure out why lol
For consoles, they did. Bethesda games sold more on PS than on Xbox all last gen and into this one. They lost that platform, GP cannibalizes sales on Xbox (MS words to the CMA) and lack of games charting that are on the service, thus all they have left is the PC for sales. So yeah, PC is the number one platform now. By proxy of elimination.

Last edited:

bxrz

I think we will need your help figuring that out.

SKYRIM:

zHmMqWd.jpg

FALLOUT 4:

olyl1YP.jpg
Whats the source? And why isn't Steam included?
For consoles, they did. Bethesda games sold more on PS than on Xbox all last gen and into this one. They lost that platform, GP cannibalizes sales on Xbox (MS words to the CMA) and lack of games charting that are on the service, thus all they have left is the PC for sales. So yeah, PC is the number one platform more so now. By proxy.
PC was the #1 platform for Bethesda since the company has been born. Majority of its fanbase is on PC. Never Playstation. Ever

Kvally

Banned
K Kvally

whats so funny? xbox literally sells like 7m-8m units for an entire year and you think they did 4m from jan to march? lmao!
Screenshot-2023-03-29-at-1-22-58-PM.png

Calm down.

I think we will need your help figuring that out.

SKYRIM:

zHmMqWd.jpg

FALLOUT 4:

olyl1YP.jpg

I wonder where they are at today with Skyrim. Even 10 years ago it was over 10 million alone on PC via just the Steam platform.

https://www.theverge.com/2011/12/16/2641119/skyrim-fastest-selling-steam-game-10-million-retail

And they were "far above" 30 million total sold as of 2 years ago.

https://www.windowscentral.com/bethesda-game-studios-single-player-games

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PC was the #1 platform for Bethesda since the company has been born. Majority of its fanbase is on PC. Never Playstation. Ever
I never said otherwise. I've been playing their games since their inception on the PC. I am talking console sales elimination. Now, they will be super PC reliant on them.

For consoles, PS was the number one sales platform all last gen and into this one for them.

Last edited:

bxrz

I never said otherwise. I've been playing their games since their inception on the PC. I am talking console sales elimination. Now, they will be super PC reliant on them.

For consoles, PS was the number one sales platform all last gen and into this one for them.
Bethesda has never relied on the PS fanbase for anything. For the people that like Bethesda games, they will find a way to play their games.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
BACk t0 ScHO0l,,b0Y lol

Whether someone buys it a la carte or plays through GP, the dev gets payed either way (by consumer or MS) and the game gets attention and played. No difference to them, just gives fanboys less ammo to compare on their charts

Wtf are you talking about.... just stop it. YOU SAID:
Lol Its a new huge Bethesda game. Wierd thing to downplay....Its gonna sell like crazy obviously.

That's what i was arguing against in my first post. Stop moving the goal post like a little kid running around playing dumb. Who plays or why has nothing to do with it.

Top Bottom