• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Ghosts PS4 case jacket leaked; 49GB install

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I really hope Sony has some sort of auto-deleting of old games, because these hard drives aren't going to last long at all, and I don't want to have to delete games constantly.

But also, jesus, what in the world have they filled up 49GB with? because it sure doesn't look like a game past any of the previous ones that were far far smaller.

You guys better get ready for it. Every game you play will be fully installed after a while and probably take up between 20-50 GB. And I doubt the console automatically deletes it.

I feel like the 500gb standard drives this gen are kinda the equivalent of the useless 20gb drives from last gen.

There's gonna be so many damn 50gb installs

I have like 200 pc games of varying sizes installed on a 500gb hard drive without even coming close to filling it up. Something isn't right with this install size.

hesido

God damn, even CoD of all games? It's quite apparent that 500 GB harddrives are not going to be enough.

Both consoles require mandatory installs of all games right?

While we know games will do silent installs (I think if the dev chooses to do an install prior to first booting up the game, they still could, unless the silent install is a design mandate by Sony), we don't know if the installs will be resident. The game will surely require at least 50GB to work, as one can possibly fill the PS4 Harddisk with videos and photos etc.

So, I'm not sure if there's knowledge on how installed game data is handled, don't remember any such information. The free harddisk portion could well be the portion that is not occupied by the user data, so that the silent install data could be overwritten if there's not enough space for that.

All speculation, but with the default silent installs, the user not having to do installed data management is much more foolproof than it being manually handled by the users, with an HD that's "only" 500GB.

Eusis

PEGI 16 is the real surprise here.

Has always been 18+, what changed?
Doggie companions earn kid friendliness points!

I wonder if the listed resolutions at the back means it actually runs at that resolution or at least a >720p one, or if that's the same as the resolutions listed on the back of 360 games and is pretty much useless garbage because the system will always upscale to that anyway. Man I hated Microsoft doing that shit, it may look nice but when you're supposed to be listing FEATURES you shouldn't count something the system does innately.

malfcn

Guessing the HDD will be around 450, leaving what... 7-9 games that can be installed? External and upgrade options are going to be a must.

Krakn3Dfx

Why not 69?

tumblr_lf3e8olOYW1qbohddo1_400.gif

Barakov

Gold Member
What the.....This is absolutely insane. Hopefully, around launch they'll talk about why that number is so ridiculously high.

Lo-Volt

What is the best 2TB laptop drive to buy? I'm going to have to buy one now.

2TB should be enough though. I don't tend to own too many games at one time (I buy and I sell). I survived an entire gen with a measly 120GB.

There seem to be relatively few 2 TB 2.5-inch drives, at least right now. Newegg only showed me two Western Digital Green drives, and both of those were 15 millimeters tall. (I think that's OK for the PS4, but PS3s weren't able to accommodate HDDs that tall.)

OSHAN

I don't understand. Even if you buy a physical copy, it is going to install everything?

So if I buy KZ and COD, that's 100 gigs gone already? With two fucking games? This the future?

Then for people worried about going digital because of HDD space makes no sense to go physical correct fellow GAFfer? Because the Physical edition will require the same amount of space as the digital version.

Guess I'll be more selective this gen and will be even more digital only with some games that I will play for longer time during the upcoming months.

Correct.

You aren't saving space going physical on either system. Atleast not yet. Maybe eventually they will stream off of disc but everything I've heard thus far are full installs. The xbox, of course, was always like that because the system was designed around disc installs and then not even needing the disc (now you need the disc in to see that you still own it but it's still going to be installing the game).

And yes, this is why both companies released play while you download /install. Not because they were being nice but because you would be waiting forever with every game you bought if it didn't exist.

lucius

So there no option to just play off disc and not install right?

That was my understanding since the game auto installs in background as you play the disc or was Cerny misquoted and was taking about just digital games, because in the video interview it seemed like he was talking about disc games that do auto install while you play.

Edit: ok nevermind just answered above^^^

I don't understand. Even if you buy a physical copy, it is going to install everything?

So if I buy KZ and COD, that's 100 gigs gone already? With two fucking games? This the future?
Yes. I guess you will probably have to delete a game pretty soon after you are done with it.

Krilekk

Banned
What in god's name could possibly take up that much space? I'm not sure I have a single pc game anywhere near that big.

There's only two reasons for games to be that big: Uncompressed prerendered cutscenes or redundant data for faster loading. Which should not be needed because of HDD installs but might be necessary for those play while downloading features. But no game for the next decade is gonna need 50 GB of unique content.

gruenel

Dude, seriously? I really don't feel like filling my hard drive in the first four months with installs for DISC-BASED GAMES.

Ugh.

Who cares? Just remove the install data from time to time, it's not like you'd have to wait for the install if you ever decide to play the game again.

I know people don't like to invoke it, but this shit is just 'lazy developers' material prime. They haven't figured out those blu-ray discs and streaming yet? For a cross-gen title?
All data is installed to the hard drive on next-gen consoles.

Additionally, for COD they are authoring new assets at 'cinema level' resolution. They're then bringing them down to whatever the platform can handle.

Previously they brought them all down to a baseline level.

That is likely why it is of a comparable size to PC, and will be interesting to see how Xbox One fairs.

http://www.develop-online.net/analysis/infinity-ward-reborn/0117626

mattp

i've been hoping sony would go onto detail how game installs work, but so far they havent said anything

they could easily deal with the hd storage issue by having game installs go into a certain folder or whatever, and then when you run games on disc, if there's not enough space for them to install fully it just deletes the oldest game install in the game folder automatically

alternatively
maybe sony sets aside 50gb of space on the drive
and whatever disc based game you put in the drive gets silently installed into there, wiping out the old install

StuBurns

Banned
Unpossible.

Are developers just going to give up on efficient compression now? People still need to download this shit guys, come on.

OSHAN

Correct.

You aren't saving space going physical on either system. Atleast not yet. Maybe eventually they will stream off of disc but everything I've heard thus far are full installs. The xbox, of course, was always like that because the system was designed around disc installs and then not even needing the disc (now you need the disc in to see that you still own it but it's still going to be installing the game).

And yes, this is why both companies released play while you download /install. Not because they were being nice but because you would be waiting forever with every game you bought if it didn't exist.

Man, this is some shit. My PS3 HDD is primarily used up with just PSN games and music, and it is 500 gigs.

How are we supposed to keep PSN games on our PS4, if 10 retail games eat the entire thing up? Gah.

Top Bottom