• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| - November is SPANKSGIVING! 30 Days of Appreciating Funnybooks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Hickman's FF is required reading before EVERYTHING.

Fraction is a good fit, and Allred is rad as always.

I'm hoping to find his X-Statix hardcover omnibus under the xmas tree so I can finally read it.

Bolded. There is no situation where reading Hickman's FF/Fantastic Four stuff isn't required.

Fantomex

Guys I need to read the Uncanny X-Force run. Is the cheapest way to buy all of these comics from my comic store or is there a cheaper legit digital alternative?

From Hickman's Twitter:

FSgFZ.jpg

Guys I need to read the Uncanny X-Force run. Is the cheapest way to buy all of these comics from my comic store or is there a cheaper legit digital alternative?

I just buy the trades actually.

But I believe Comixology has the first issue for free right now and they do a couple of sales now and then so always check back if you're going digital.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
From Hickman's Twitter:

yo for the love of god people just link photos to stuff that hasn't dropped yet. not tryin to see that until the wednesday it drops.

i'd probably go digital for now, and then when the glorious omnibus drops in a year or so, cop that for the bookshelf.

Bolded. There is no situation where reading Hickman's FF/Fantastic Four stuff isn't required.

shit is wavy, b

Fantomex

I just buy the trades actually.

But I believe Comixology has the first issue for free right now and they do a couple of sales now and then so always check back if you're going digital.

I was just looking on Amazon, seems like it will be the best bet. Is there a trade I start with when the going gets good with the skinless man?

Owzers

I read the first two trades of Unwritten and loved them, yet i have vol 3-6 just sitting on my shelf. Too many comics to read....now i'll have to reread 1 and 2 a bit to remember what happened.

frye

I was just looking on Amazon, seems like it will be the best bet. Is there a trade I start with when the going gets good with the skinless man?

Why not just start with the first one? I like UXF to varying degrees but that first arc is by far the best.

No need to talk about it. I've been picking it up since day one and have been hanging each issue up like art around my house. I don't even read them. I'm now out of walls.
Yeah, I actually started collecting the series because of the covers.

Lol at Bendis and Heroes for Hire, there goes my theory of him making Luke an X Brah.

Fantomex

So I stopped by to get some food and this little comic shop has a huge line. Guess Remender and Posehn are there today. What a small world. I'm about to order their books from amazon.

Fantomex

Definitely looking forward to some Fantomex opera scenes. Last time I read comic books was during the Grant Morrisson weapon plus run. When him and Wolvie break into The World.

I used to work for the movie industry. I met so many famous actors, directors, that I'm jaded now. I see fous people and I'm all like "meh". I'd still love to get some Ramos or Bachalo sketches though.

Will Marvel actually publish omnibus editions of Remender's Uncanny X-force and Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF? I'm so keen to read these runs, but omnibus editions would likely be the best value for money, though digital copies are more appealing. Has Comixology done a sale on either run?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
New Avengers #34 ends with
Luke selling Avengers Mansion back to Tony for $5, the Cage family and Squirrel Girl leaving together, and Luke telling Jessica they're gonna bring Heroes-for-Hire back with a new twist.

Didn't he buy it for a dollar? 500% return! Score!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Will Marvel actually publish omnibus editions of Remender's Uncanny X-force and Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF? I'm so keen to read these runs, but omnibus editions would likely be the best value for money, though digital copies are more appealing. Has Comixology done a sale on either run?

both are super popular, so i can see them being omnibus'd.

they're also need to be re-read to fully appreciated, so i'd say buy them digitally now, immediately, and read them.

then buy the omnibus and re-read them then, and really understand what's going on.

Wow all new x-men is actually moving quickly. I had zero expectations for it but I've really enjoyed the first two issues.

I would rather Gillen stayed on UXM, in lieu of taking over Iron Man, but it's definitely better than I had expected. Better editors in the X-office keeping Bendis' worst tendencies in check, maybe?

Fucking Cancer wins again. We lost Josh Medors today after a lengthy battle with a rare form of cancer. He lived the dream and fought back a monster.

We also lost Spain Rodriguez.

Picked up another Transformers comic today, because I just don't learn.

Also snagged MLP to see what this shit is all about - I don't have cable. I get my cartoons in funnybook form, see also: Futurama.

Managed to track down a copy of Planetoid #2. YES! I'm not digging Storm Dogs, but PLanetoid was right up my alley.

Eh I can understand not doing comics for someone else for pennies hoping it'll get you somewhere because you feel your time is more valuable. However, I don't understand why you wouldn't make your own comics if that's the way you feel. Either way, you should be doing comics if that's what you want to do in life. Whether that's Superman or web comic you make with your friends. There's no reason to wait around until someone gives you a nicely paying gig.

Incoming use of royal form of you/your, etc.

It depends on what your ultimate goal is.

Some artists just want to draw, they don't have characters of their own or a story they need to tell. They just crank out Spiderman and Batman stories.

To get within orbit of Spiderman and Batman though you need to work your way up through the ranks. Everybody looks at Jim Lee of 2012, not the Jim Lee of 1986.

What's worse is our for profit "education" system is churning out precocious illustrators who paid for a diploma, but may not have the skills to back that piece of paper; who feel they deserve to be on Spiderman and Batman out of the gate.

I refer to the famous incident of some neogaf neophyte art student shitting up a comics thread trashing Arthur Adams. I ask for him to provide samples of his work. . . it was a fucking joke. Flimsy drawing skills. No texture. Weak storytelling. Lackluster layouts.

But hey! Somebody paid for a degree, so he's got that Store Bought Swag.

Here's where comic gaf says, "But TToB, you talk shit about Frank Quietly."

Right.

For fun, and no profit.

The reality is I dislike his style, but acknowledge his level of skill. I know Quietly could knock me out in the first round.

It's why I'm not an artist. I've got two thought processes:

• Draw something cool.
    Draw something that will make you cum.

I don't care about how it makes you feel outside of those two reactions. I don't have time for introspection. It's more commercial art, which is like boxing. There are Flyweights through Heavyweights and that's how you need to approach the job.

Your arms are too short to box with Jim Lee!

You need to start at the lower weight classes, those shitty gigs that don't pay much, but will build a portfolio and get your name out there. You train. You put on muscle. You drop weight. You go up a class. Now you're going from that vanity anthology to a small press book. You train. You put on muscle. You drop weight. You go up a class. Now you're on that IDW book. Repeat.

That's what I mean.

X-Men didn't just happen to Chris Bachalo, he had to draw a considerable Shade run.

Or you can crap out artsy fartsy books that means something to you and don't sell a whole hell of a lot.

It depends where you have your goals set at.

Speaking of which I need to stop dicking around on the Internets.

December OT is almost ready. I just need to plug in some text and pictures. Thank you for your patience.

Fantomex

Fucking Cancer wins again. We lost Josh Medors today after a lengthy battle with a rare form of cancer. He lived the dream and fought back a monster.

We also lost Spain Rodriguez.

Picked up another Transformers comic today, because I just don't learn.

Also snagged MLP to see what this shit is all about - I don't have cable. I get my cartoons in funnybook form, see also: Futurama.

Managed to track down a copy of Planetoid #2. YES! I'm not digging Storm Dogs, but PLanetoid was right up my alley.

Incoming use of royal form of you/your, etc.

It depends on what your ultimate goal is.

Some artists just want to draw, they don't have characters of their own or a story they need to tell. They just crank out Spiderman and Batman stories.

To get within orbit of Spiderman and Batman though you need to work your way up through the ranks. Everybody looks at Jim Lee of 2012, not the Jim Lee of 1986.

What's worse is our for profit "education" system is churning out precocious illustrators who paid for a diploma, but may not have the skills to back that piece of paper; who feel they deserve to be on Spiderman and Batman out of the gate.

I refer to the famous incident of some neogaf neophyte art student shitting up a comics thread trashing Arthur Adams. I ask for him to provide samples of his work. . . it was a fucking joke. Flimsy drawing skills. No texture. Weak storytelling. Lackluster layouts.

But hey! Somebody paid for a degree, so he's got that Store Bought Swag.

Here's where comic gaf says, "But TToB, you talk shit about Frank Quietly."

Right.

For fun, and no profit.

The reality is I dislike his style, but acknowledge his level of skill. I know Quietly could knock me out in the first round.

It's why I'm not an artist. I've got two thought processes:

• Draw something cool.
    Draw something that will make you cum.

I don't care about how it makes you feel outside of those two reactions. I don't have time for introspection. It's more commercial art, which is like boxing. There are Flyweights through Heavyweights and that's how you need to approach the job.

Your arms are too short to box with Jim Lee!

You need to start at the lower weight classes, those shitty gigs that don't pay much, but will build a portfolio and get your name out there. You train. You put on muscle. You drop weight. You go up a class. Now you're going from that vanity anthology to a small press book. You train. You put on muscle. You drop weight. You go up a class. Now you're on that IDW book. Repeat.

That's what I mean.

X-Men didn't just happen to Chris Bachalo, he had to draw a considerable Shade run.

Or you can crap out artsy fartsy books that means something to you and don't sell a whole hell of a lot.

It depends where you have your goals set at.

Speaking of which I need to stop dicking around on the Internets.

December OT is almost ready. I just need to plug in some text and pictures. Thank you for your patience.

I had a friend that idolized Liefeld. I got to do some design work for the guy one day and told my friend about it. He brought me his drawings, sketches and layouts so that I could show him the artwork and have Rob critique it, write notes on it, correct it, you name it. So I give the stuff to Liefeld one day and give him the packet and he says "oh sure ill take a look and get back to him directly".

Friend never heard back for weeks, months and finally blew up at me on not getting a response. I remember responding to him "he doesn't call back his friends at Awesome or people at marvel but you expect him to get back to YOU?".

Comics business is tough yo.

I had a friend that idolized Liefeld. I got to do some design work for the guy one day and told my friend about it. He brought me his drawings, sketches and layouts so that I could show him the artwork and have Rob critique it, write notes on it, correct it, you name it. So I give the stuff to Liefeld one day and give him the packet and he says "oh sure ill take a look and get back to him directly".

Friend never heard back for weeks, months and finally blew up at me on not getting a response. I remember responding to him "he doesn't call back his friends at Awesome or people at marvel but you expect him to get back to YOU?".

Comics business is tough yo.

Haha. . .

That's passion.

I'm still salty Franchesco Gaston is getting booted from Bloodstrike.

Don't get me wrong, I could give two shits about Bloodstrike. I was enjoying Tim Seeley and Franchesco Gaston working on it. Liefield taking over and booting them off. . . His fill ins on the one issue were atrocious.

Man somebody needs to snatch Gaston up. Guy continues to get better.

I asked Liefeld on Twitter what Gaston will end up on. Like your buddy, no response. :p

Fantomex

Haha. . .

That's passion.

I'm still salty Franchesco Gaston is getting booted from Bloodstrike.

Don't get me wrong, I could give two shits about Bloodstrike. I was enjoying Tim Seeley and Franchesco Gaston working on it. Liefield taking over and booting them off. . . His fill ins on the one issue were atrocious.

Man somebody needs to snatch Gaston up. Guy continues to get better.

I asked Liefeld on Twitter what Gaston will end up on. Like your buddy, no response. :p

Sounds like him alright!

ElNarez

Banned
On Uncanny Avengers: Holy crap, how can Cassaday be so goddamn late when it's so goddamn obvious he's phoning it in like crazy? Otherwise, yeah, it's Remender trying to go for a proverbial "it" using the broadest strokes this side of Geoff Johns. I am saying it is not very subtle at all. It's big and boastful and crazy and I enjoy it way more than I probably should.

I don't know if the fact that parts of it read like things people who have arguments about comics on the internet would write is good or bad, but it makes things that much more crazy.

ANYWAYS: Nowhere Men! It's like the Beatles: the comic! Except they're mostly American! And they do super-science! And if the Beatles stayed alive and kept on shit-talking each other's work in the somewhat distant future! AND SPACE? Nowhere Men! Ask for it by name!

All-New X-Men #2 - This was really good. Much better than the first issue. Not that I didn't like #1. This is more like what I thought this book was going to be like. The first issue had me thinking this was going to be Team Cyclops' book.

Uncanny Avengers #2 - Scarlet Witch is a double crossing witch and I can't wait until Rogue punches her in the face again. Pretty good issue. This book has promise. I wonder how they will bring Xavier back now. A Scarlet Witch spell? Universe reboot? He's pretty torn up.

FF #1 - Pretty damn great. Much better than I expected. I think Fraction gets what made Hickman's FF so good and Allred's art definitely fits FF. Won't this book be about 3 issues long, though? I mean, the Fantastic Four will only be gone for 4 minutes. :p

frye

Uncanny Avengers #2 - Scarlet Witch is a double crossing witch and I can't wait until Rogue punches her in the face again. Pretty good issue. This book has promise. I wonder how they will bring Xavier back now. A Scarlet Witch spell? Universe reboot? He's pretty torn up.

Scarlet Witch was being controlled by Red Skull's Xavier brain since putting Xavier's brain in your own head gives you super powers because

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

You know, I really don't want a single volume 800 page monstrosity. What I would LOVE (for both these series) is a hardcover collection like the Starman and Preacher hardcovers. Well put together, nicely designed, a good size. I can't ever see myself buying one of those retardo sized volumes, it doesn't seem like it would be fun to read.

I really want to rebuy FF in this format, but I don't think I'll get the chance to. Take my money Marvel!

EDIT: wait wtf, Thor #2 is out already as well? Jesus christ Marvel, do you want me to buy your books or not? Because I'm fast running out of patience with these crazy fast releases. I don't NEED Thor twice a month.

Sblargh

Banned
You know, I really don't want a single volume 800 page monstrosity. What I would LOVE (for both these series) is a hardcover collection like the Starman and Preacher hardcovers. Well put together, nicely designed, a good size. I can't ever see myself buying one of those retardo sized volumes, it doesn't seem like it would be fun to read.

I really want to rebuy FF in this format, but I don't think I'll get the chance to. Take my money Marvel!

EDIT: wait wtf, Thor #2 is out already as well? Jesus christ Marvel, do you want me to buy your books or not? Because I'm fast running out of patience with these crazy fast releases. I don't NEED Thor twice a month.

Marvel Omnibus usually have really good binding tho. The weight of the book keeps you from holding it for long, but if you're on a desk or something, the pages opens nicely and you can ready it without problem or fear.

Mafro

Really hope they do a hardcover omnibus of Uncanny X-Force. I held off buying TPB and bought it digitally just in case.

Scarlet Witch was being controlled by Red Skull's Xavier brain since putting Xavier's brain in your own head gives you super powers because

Oh, is that it. I thought he was just talking to her telepathically.

So, this Red Skull is a clone and his old consciousness downloaded into Xavier's brain? Or does he have 2 brains in there now? >_>

Really hope they do a hardcover omnibus of Uncanny X-Force. I held off buying TPB and bought it digitally just in case.

See, I've held off on digital purchases until Comixology host a sale on the run. Hopefully on it's completion alongside the two Marvel Now X-Force on-goings. On that note, how is Wolverine and the X-Men? I heard it hit quite a low point during AVX, in regards to quality, but outside of that, is the rest of the run consistently worth reading?

EDIT: I redeemed a code for All New X-Men #2 via marvel.com/redeem this morning, but I've just noticed it has still not appeared in my purchase history. Either via the Comixology website/app or the Marvel app. Has anyone else had this issue? I tried redeeming the code again, but it says it has already been redeemed. I don't understand why it hasn't appeared in my purchase history as I was logged in with my Comixology-linked account. Any suggestions?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Marvel Omnibus usually have really good binding tho. The weight of the book keeps you from holding it for long, but if you're on a desk or something, the pages opens nicely and you can ready it without problem or fear.

Oh so if you're reading at a desk then it's acceptable? Do you know how daft that sounds?

tbh though, after reading digital books mostly for this last year, paper comics are unweildy and odd to read anyway. They're all bendy and reflecty and hard to get comfy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom