• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| - November is SPANKSGIVING! 30 Days of Appreciating Funnybooks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Marvel Digital Unlimited updates this past month have been awful and small.

Yep. I have a small amount of hope that they are either in the middle of a major overhaul (and holidays), and that the updates will get better in coming weeks, but I am not all that thrilled at these 9-13 book weeks when we used to get a consistent 25 new releases.

I have been subbing to the service close to 4 years now, but unless things improve I am going to stop renewing next spring when my annual sub is up.

I somehow missed this when looking at the preview pages, but it appears that Hickman's Avengers run will
involve some substantial New Universe elements.

By random coincidence, I recently reread Ellis' never-to-be-completed Newuniversal run, so this makes me even more interested.

Link. Contains vague spoilers.

newarrior

Sales across the board are way shitty compared to actual retailer orders, and those two particular clods were pointing out that Marvel's not offering reorders. Now, Higgins is an unabashed DC fanboy (even though runs a comic book store which by its nature ought to appeal to readers of anything) and Larry's Comics is a racist, misogynist, homophobe; so, you know, grains of salt. But on the retailer level it doesn't appear to be having anything near the impact that the New 52 had.

Marvel has traditionally outsold DC by a large margin (at one point, they were almost 70% of the comic market), but in the last decade, they've remained pretty even. While sales on DC's New 52 have obviously leveled out 16 months in, those first few months were the most exciting (and biggest sales) I've seen in comics since Civil War.

MarvelNOW! has nowhere the same reach. The big orders on Uncanny Avengers #1 was solely due to the insane amount of variant covers, and huge discounts on the main cover that Marvel gave retailers to order big. You were losing money if you didn't order a shitload. Each MarvelNOW! #1 has 4-8 variant covers, again goosing the numbers to crazy-high levels for the stores that go for those sorts of things. The regular covers of most books will be lining bird cages in the coming months. I have half a short box of Uncanny Avengers #1 I'll be giving away on FCBD. Counter that to DC's New 52, which with very few exceptions, most stores sold out of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th printings of. I'm still ordering copies of Justice League #1 8th printing and selling them.

Most people were willing, like always, to try the new #1 issues, but sales on the few #2s out so far have been mixed. Uncanny Avengers and All-New X-Men sold well yesterday, but Iron Man is already selling under the last issue of the pre-relaunch series. Red She-Hulk and Journey Into Mystery are already selling in the single digits.

I bought a house due to DC sales. I'm going to be giving away free copies of MarvelNOW comics because I can't sell them.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I don't know, Ryan Higgins (?) showing up is a pretty big "get".

He only showed up because I told him I was talking shit about him. It wouldn't be much of a battle anyways since he knows he's a bad person.

I Vampire 14: Anybody else even reading this amazing book? Every new issue kills me a little inside because the countdown has officially begun until Sorrentino's done with art, (and unofficially until it just gets shitcanned outright). It deserves so much better. Human Mary and Asshole Andrew might be my favorite DC characters.

Superior Spider-Man #6AU - It seems like their going to add tie-ins by Adding a AU to issues.

ikIq3.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
His design is so fugly. The smaller eyes and claw fingers do not look good.

Bro, that is not fugly.

This is fugly.

w2wZN.jpg

Up there, that's some of the most negligible design I've ever seen. Don't get your panties in a wad over that nonsense. Not when there are so much more painful alternatives.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Anyone want to let me know something about the Hickman Avenger spoiler up top this page? Is it in reference to the length of his run? Or story/character related spoilers? I don't mind knowing how long he's planned a run for. Makes me feel confident that it'll wrap up nicely.

Read the first 7 issues of Uncanny X-Force. What a great book. I always judged the series as Marvels next cash grab with "cool" characters but the creative team really left an impression on me. So far I have it as a favorite of mine next to Grant Morrisons New X-Men, Kevin Smiths Daredevil and The Killing Joke. I'm stoked to see the rest.

Yeah, UXF goes right up there with NXM quality-wise. You're in for a treat.

Anyone want to let me know something about the Hickman Avenger spoiler up top this page? Is it in reference to the length of his run? Or story/character related spoilers? I don't mind knowing how long he's planned a run for. Makes me feel confident that it'll wrap up nicely.

It's not about length of the run.

Spider-Man will not be Peter Parker. He never says it is Doc Ock. What if both of their personalities become one? So Spidey isn't Peter or Ock anymore?

I look at his entire big time run and think who has he most developed besides Peter Parker.

This is Slott's biggest clue from an interview.

Dan Slott said:
Slott: Yes. I like the theories that use characters that we've never shown through the entire "Big Time" run. Those are my favorites. Because I would so do that — I would totally use a character that we've done no set-up with whatsoever. That would so be in my wheelhouse!

The same kind of person who would post that — "It should really be this guy, from issue #327, that we haven't seen in five years!" — is the same kind of person, in a parallel universe, that if I did use that character, would be the first to post, "Lame!"

Thanks for your input, Jedeye Sniv! I'll download the comixology app and see how it is (I've been using the Marvel one)

I actually use both the Comixology and Marvel apps. It's worth having the Marvel app around just for the free comics that are rotated in every week. I believe every Tuesday or Wednesday, they rotate the selection available. For example, this week, Uncanny X-Force #1 is available for free download. I only purchase comics from the Comixology app though. The weekly sales are great for jump starting your collection.

LiQuid!

The Spidey shit is kinda cool but I feel like I kinda missed out not having read Slott's stuff since the beginning.

Dan Slott used to be so suave on the internet. I think he is cracking a little bit. The trolls are getting to him.

He hasn't gone full Dyack yet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dan Slott used to be so suave on the internet. I think he is cracking a little bit. The trolls are getting to him.

He trolls pretty hard right back though. Plus he re-tweets the trolls and the funniest hate he gets. I think he's just tired of keeping the secret already.

Slott seems to have an incredibly thin skin, frankly.

Very. Closed down his Formspring cuz he couldn't take the hate, the big baby. "Back in the day, people would've been more grateful to talk to the creators of books they read!"

Boo hoo nigga, you got ten thousand followers who can tell you how amazing you are, suck it up, man

I haven't been following news on the upcoming Superior Spider-Man, but spoilers for the current Amazing Spider-Man issues have piqued my interest. I've read a few issues before, from the Grim Hunt arc, but I wasn't a fan of the artwork. Will Superior Spider-Man have the same "look"? I'm keen to jump on board from issue #1, but not so much if the art hasn't changed.

I remember when he told a user on CBR to fuck off. I died. He needs to instead add his trolls as cameos into Spider-Man and make fun of them, like Peter David.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Spider-Man will not be Peter Parker. He never says it is Doc Ock. What if both of their personalities become one? So Spidey isn't Peter or Ock anymore?

Seems quite likely at this point. Will have to dig in the old thread to see how that would settle the bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom