• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| - November is SPANKSGIVING! 30 Days of Appreciating Funnybooks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sblargh

Banned
Oh so if you're reading at a desk then it's acceptable? Do you know how daft that sounds?

tbh though, after reading digital books mostly for this last year, paper comics are unweildy and odd to read anyway. They're all bendy and reflecty and hard to get comfy with.

I have no idea how daft that sounds. As someone who spend some time on libraries, reading on a desk is how you do it.

See, I've held off on digital purchases until Comixology host a sale on the run. Hopefully on it's completion alongside the two Marvel Now X-Force on-goings. On that note, how is Wolverine and the X-Men? I heard it hit quite a low point during AVX, in regards to quality, but outside of that, is the rest of the run consistently worth reading?

EDIT: I redeemed a code for All New X-Men #2 via marvel.com/redeem this morning, but I've just noticed it has still not appeared in my purchase history. Either via the Comixology website/app or the Marvel app. Has anyone else had this issue? I tried redeeming the code again, but it says it has already been redeemed. I don't understand why it hasn't appeared in my purchase history as I was logged in with my Comixology-linked account. Any suggestions?

Contact their (Marvel's) customer service. Shit happened to me and they were ON IT.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I have no idea how daft that sounds. As someone who spend some time on libraries, reading on a desk is how you do it.

But I don't have a 'reading desk' in my house. It's a 21st century house, not a library. I have a computer desk but I don't really want to be sat at it for hours hunched over a massive book. It's weird.

Even Absolutes are on the big side for me, I only have a couple and only for the art.

They should really just do both styles of book. The content is made, they just need to print it again.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Thor #2 was so incredible. Every single word written in it was flawless. Ribic is just unreal. It seems ridiculous to feel like this might be another modern classic run after just 2 issues but I haven't geeked out so hard while reading a new series like this since probably that first arc of UXF...

kswiston

FF #1 was a lot better than Fantastic Four #1. Assuming that the stories have minor crossover for at least the first few issues, I will continue reading FF to see where it goes.

Thor #2 was great. My only complaint is that the antagonist is extremely generic looking, and that is a pretty minor complaint. Eventually I am going to have to start cutting down on some of these Marvel Now titles, but I think Thor will be one of the ones I stick with.

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/newreleases/next-week

Looking at the list above, it seems like All New X-Men 3 is coming out again next week. You'd think Marvel would schedule its biweekly books to actually come out biweekly.

Crazy that some of these books are already at #3.

Avengers #1 is my big Marvel title for next week, and I will probably end up grabbing Thunderbolts #1 as well.

Looking at the list above, it seems like All New X-Men 3 is coming out again next week. You'd think Marvel would schedule its biweekly books to actually come out biweekly.

Avengers #1 is my big Marvel title for next week, and I will probably end up grabbing Thunderbolts #1 as well.

And yeah, Iron Man is like weekly. Yeesh!

Xena

How does the digital comics scenario goes? I recently got a N7, and decided to start from scratch my The Amazing Spider Man collection, but digitally this time (I used to have most hard copies when I was younger, but I had to give it up because I moved between countries I couldn't move them around as well.)

However, browsing the issues on both Comixology and Marvel, I noticed it skips comics, for example, from 25 to 75... why is this? Is there some kind of schedule as to when they will be uploading the issues in between?

Speaking of these two places, is there any benefit for getting the comic from either of these places, does it even matter?

Sorry for the silly questions, it's my first time into digital comics.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
FF #1 was a lot better than Fantastic Four #1. Assuming that the stories have minor crossover for at least the first few issues, I will continue reading FF to see where it goes.

Thor #2 was great. My only complaint is that the antagonist is extremely generic looking, and that is a pretty minor complaint. Eventually I am going to have to start cutting down on some of these Marvel Now titles, but I think Thor will be one of the ones I stick with.

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/newreleases/next-week

It's fucking bullshit is what it is. I remember I stopped buying Marvel years back when their ads got out of control. Now I might have to drop them again because the cost of these books is killing me. It doesn't cost $3.99 a month to read X-Men, it costs nearly $12! At the speed they're pumping these out it make so much more sense just to trade wait. At this pace the first (probably 4 issues for $20 because they're tight bastards) X-Men trade should be out by the end of January...

Every week it's making me a little madder.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How does the digital comics scenario goes? I recently got a N7, and decided to start from scratch my The Amazing Spider Man collection, but digitally this time (I used to have most hard copies when I was younger, but I had to give it up because I moved between countries I couldn't move them around as well.)

However, browsing the issues on both Comixology and Marvel, I noticed it skips comics, for example, from 25 to 75... why is this? Is there some kind of schedule as to when they will be uploading the issues in between?

Speaking of these two places, is there any benefit for getting the comic from either of these places, does it even matter?

Sorry for the silly questions, it's my first time into digital comics.

As far as I know there is nowhere that says the release schedule for old books. DC and Marvel are both trying to get as much out as possible, it just takes time.

You might well be interested in Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited if you're interested in older comics primarily, it's a flash-based site with loads of old books on there for a flat rate fee. Other users may be able to tell you more, I've not used it myself. Otherwise, buying all issues of ASM on Comixology might well take some time and cost a hell of a lot of money. They're not so good at discounting these old books.

And you might as well just use the main Comixology app. The Marvel app is just a reskin of the main one but without the other pubs iirc.

Xena

Thanks for your input, Jedeye Sniv! I'll download the comixology app and see how it is (I've been using the Marvel one)

It's fucking bullshit is what it is. I remember I stopped buying Marvel years back when their ads got out of control. Now I might have to drop them again because the cost of these books is killing me. It doesn't cost $3.99 a month to read X-Men, it costs nearly $12! At the speed they're pumping these out it make so much more sense just to trade wait. At this pace the first (probably 4 issues for $20 because they're tight bastards) X-Men trade should be out by the end of January...

Every week it's making me a little madder.

Get ready to get maddest; they'll probably start collecting them in Premiere HCs not trades.

>_<

All-New X-Men #3 preview (Newsarama)

Avengers #1 preview (Comic Book Resources)

They're nothing new, pages you've already seen just with dialogue added in. There is one new page for ANXM I hadn't seen, showing
Cyclops's secondary mutation kicking in.
Also, it's f*cking crazy to think that the first issue of Avengers drops next week and they're already finishing artwork on #10. That talk about Hickman having the first forty-something issues planned out obviously wasn't bullsh*t.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Get ready to get maddest; they'll probably start collecting them in Premiere HCs not trades.

>_<

You damn well know they will. These weedy little undersized hardcovers with 4 issues in them. ARGH!! They're worse to read than the retardo-jumo size that I was bitching about earlier.

All-New X-Men #3 preview (Newsarama)

Avengers #1 preview (Comic Book Resources)

They're nothing new, pages you've already seen just with dialogue added in. There is one new page for ANXM I hadn't seen, showing
Cyclops's secondary mutation kicking in.
Also, it's f*cking crazy to think that the first issue of Avengers drops next week and they're already finishing artwork on #10. That talk about Hickman having the first forty-something issues planned out obviously wasn't bullsh*t.

ANXM:
Wtf. Magneto can't stop a moving car now?

Acid08

Banned
At least Marvel releases their trades somewhat timely right? DC is taking for-fucking-ever with these nu52 trades. Pretty ridiculous the second Batman trade isn't out yet.

Owzers

You damn well know they will. These weedy little undersized hardcovers with 4 issues in them. ARGH!! They're worse to read than the retardo-jumo size that I was bitching about earlier.

print issues + digital codes from dcbs alongside omnibus/OHC waiting.......trade waiting 3.99 Marvel books is almost out of the question these days.

At least Marvel releases their trades somewhat timely right? DC is taking for-fucking-ever with these nu52 trades. Pretty ridiculous the second Batman trade isn't out yet.

Also this ^^^ While DC has better sized collections, the waiting is crazy, i only trade wait a few books from DC. If i don't buy it monthly, the chances of me picking up the trade are low.

For the people saying ANXM is uncharacteristically fast-paced for a Bendis book:

Nrama: There's a lot going on issue #1 &#8212; multiple characters, scene changes, new characters being introduced, time travel &#8212; was it a challenge to fit that much into a 20-page issue?

Lowe: Oh, big time. Luckily, Brian's been at this for a good amount of years. He is so good at juggling a ton of things, and yet making them accessible and relatable. I think the first draft that Brian wrote of this comic was like 36 pages. Like a sculptor at a giant piece of marble, he pulled it back into something that would fit into 20 pages, which is crazy. It is so dense, it is so packed with characters, and yet I'm so proud of him and the crew that we got on here that it fits together so well, and yet it's so relatable.
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/all-new-x-men-1-post-game.html

What's it about? I saw it on my iPad and I really want to read.

Four scientists who create a company to change the world. Naturally it all falls apart. Starts in the past, goes to more recenter, ends at now. Lots of different characters, great last page spread.

Art: Amazing
Design: Amazinger
Writing: Pretty Great!

Owzers

they also decided to put Ultimate United We Stand stuff in an OHC but not the better Hickman 1-12 issues that preceded it XO

Sblargh

Banned
Bendis won my heart all over again. These last avengers issues (both vanilla and new) are great. All New X-Men is great. Everything he wrote the past two months or so are awesome.

I am sorry I was so mean to you, Bendis.

Yeah I realized today we'll probably never get another volumed set of Oversizeds the way they did for Daredevil and New X-Men. It's Omnibus or Omnibust.

:(

Those were undoubtedly the very best format. I've found Marvel's Ultimate Collection softcovers to be the next best thing, omnibus collections are just too huge for casual reading.

Acid08

Banned
I hate the premiere hardcovers. One of my Immortal Iron Fist trades is a hardcover and it pisses me off every time I see it. Just having that one book very different drives my ocd and collection oriented brain crazy.

Bendis won my heart all over again. These last avengers issues (both vanilla and new) are great. All New X-Men is great. Everything he wrote the past two months or so are awesome.

I am sorry I was so mean to you, Bendis.

Yea I liked who the new sorcer supreme is.

poor Victoria hand

Fantomex

Read the first 7 issues of Uncanny X-Force. What a great book. I always judged the series as Marvels next cash grab with "cool" characters but the creative team really left an impression on me. So far I have it as a favorite of mine next to Grant Morrisons New X-Men, Kevin Smiths Daredevil and The Killing Joke. I'm stoked to see the rest.

Viewt

Read the first 7 issues of Uncanny X-Force. What a great book. I always judged the series as Marvels next cash grab with "cool" characters but the creative team really left an impression on me. So far I have it as a favorite of mine next to Grant Morrisons New X-Men, Kevin Smiths Daredevil and The Killing Joke. I'm stoked to see the rest.

Dude, the good times with that book have barely gotten started where you are. You're about to head into the magnificently amazing Dark Angel Saga.

Fantomex

Dude, the good times with that book have barely gotten started where you are. You're about to head into the magnificently amazing Dark Angel Saga.

Looking forward to it. I really like what depth Remender gave these characters. I mean in a big way, he gave deep emotions to Deadpool which is unheard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom