• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community S4 |OT| I Remember When This Show Was About Community College

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

We're all together. That makes this the perfect timeline. :)

Looking forward to experiencing season 4 with everyone.

big ander

You say this even though you watch How I Met Your Mother. :p

Haha that's true. I mean, for one, HIMYM is designed to actually have a specific end-to-end narrative. It's a bit different than community. And I guess HIMYM can technically have narrative filler, as can every sitcom, but the difference is that with a sitcom I'm not there for the narrative. I'm there for the comedy, the character interaction, so on. where a serial drama has to constantly show growth and progression to convey a message, a sitcom can cleverly remain static as long as it's giving us good experiences. It's when the characters start sucking that that static nature becomes obvious and annoying

Lima

I get this for serial dramas, but how the hell do you have filler on a sitcom?

You can not write 22 funny and good episodes in such a short amount of time. Which means you will end up with several episodes that are just meh. Maybe not filler in the traditional sense since Community doesn't really have a story but it just sucks.

Haha that's true. I mean, for one, HIMYM is designed to actually have a specific end-to-end narrative. It's a bit different than community. And I guess HIMYM can technically have narrative filler, as can every sitcom, but the difference is that with a sitcom I'm not there for the narrative. I'm there for the comedy, the character interaction, so on. where a serial drama has to constantly show growth and progression to convey a message, a sitcom can cleverly remain static as long as it's giving us good experiences. It's when the characters start sucking that that static nature becomes obvious and annoying

Oh I know and I had the exact same question initially. But then I remembered HIMYM and decided not to post anything. However given how we've had discussions in the HIMYM thread, I couldn't resist when I saw you post. But of course, comedy doesn't need forward progression. I made that exact point in the last Community thread actually lol.

Link

The Autumn Wind
13 episodes is more than enough. I'm sick of these stupid 22 episodes on network tv. Too much filler episodes where nothing really happens.
In most cases, I would agree, but Community's format is that each season is one school year, which runs from the fall to the spring. A late, shortened season really messes that up.

beat

You can not write 22 funny and good episodes in such a short amount of time. Which means you will end up with several episodes that are just meh. Maybe not filler in the traditional sense since Community doesn't really have a story but it just sucks.

Even 30 Rock's short seventh season had its ups and downs. Thing is, any 13 ep season is going to have a shortened writing period too.

please have a Britta/Dean pairing in one of the episodes. They haven't had that yet, right?

If the new guys try to do Harmon's thing and can't pull it off I don't know if I'll stick with the show. The Office has kind of made me afraid of staying with a show when there are warning signs and an "ending" that's already decent. If they make this season a little more like the first half of season one I think it could be really good. The writers/cast are more than enough reason to at least give the season a chance.

In most cases, I would agree, but Community's format is that each season is one school year, which runs from the fall to the spring. A late, shortened season really messes that up.

I like it though....means we still get Halloween and christmas episodes.

It it had been planned as feb-may we wouldnt have

inm8num2

I hope we get more of S1 and S2 Britta. By S3 they reduced her character to a side caricature in favor of playing up the Annie/Jeff dynamic. A shame.

Quick

Banned
I hope we get more of S1 and S2 Britta. By S3 they reduced her character to a side caricature in favor of playing up the Annie/Jeff dynamic. A shame.

Yeah season 1 and 2 Britta > season 3. I wasn't a fan of how she turned out last season.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
DerZuhälter;47238893 said:
This OT Title is the opposite of Batman. I already feel the negativity and hate S4 is going to get.
This is why I voted for "The Center Slice of a Square Cheese Pizza".

elfinke

Really looking forward to S4. Anyone else read that article about why The Big Bang Theory is a terrible show, with Community used as a reference point?

http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory

Whereas The Big Bang Theory sees nerd culture as an object of ridicule, Community celebrates it. Community’s laughing with you whereas Big Bang is giving you a wedgie and laughing at you. When TBBT makes a pop culture reference it uses it as a punchline, it names a show like Firefly and asks you to laugh at it. When Community makes a pop culture reference it commits.

Soul_Pie

Can't wait for it to start, although I still think the first season is the best because it felt a lot more about college itself. I hope they get back to that. Also I miss Duncan.

Mariolee

This is why I voted for "The Center Slice of a Square Cheese Pizza".

I had to think long and hard between all of the fantastic OT titles from the last thread, but I thought that the one I chose was perfect not only because it's an actual quote from Season 4 but also because people will probably relate to it more.

Quick

Banned
I had to think long and hard between all of the fantastic OT titles from the last thread, but I thought that the one I chose was perfect not only because it's an actual quote from Season 4 but also because people will probably relate to it more.

It's a good title for this exact reason.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Really looking forward to S4. Anyone else read that article about why The Big Bang Theory is a terrible show, with Community used as a reference point?

http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory

The author needs an editor, so I'll take the liberty of editing it down for him:

I don't normally criticize things I don't like, but the Big Bang Theory's continued popularity and penchant to win awards has made me want to write this. I consider myself to be a nerd, so people assume I'd like Big Bang Theory, which gives nerds representation on TV and in culture. Except it doesn't really, because the show is about laughing at them, not laughing with them. The intended audience of the show is people who don't get nerds. The humour is all reference humour, not actual jokes. Reference jokes are lazy because they rely on nostalgia and a fear of not fitting in to generate humour out of understanding them. Most of the reference jokes in TBBT are basically cruelly mocking things that nerds like. I have concerns about the show's portrayal of autism and I worry, based on my one anecdotal example, that people are getting the wrong impression about what autism is. Now any time I do something nerdy, people call me Sheldon.

Community is a show that has nerd characters, but that actually sympathises with them. The show prefers detailed, in-depth, comprehensive homages and riffs on familiar subjects, rather than shallow reference humour. Abed is a better representation of autism-spectrum.

TBBT has bad gender dynamics. The non-geeky girls are treated as morons, and the geeky girls aren't treated as girls at all. There's also some latent homophobia in how the show interprets male characters doing things traditionally coded as feminine.

At first I was excited that a geeky show was popular, but then I came to the above conclusions, and that's why I don't like TBBT.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The author needs an editor, so I'll take the liberty of editing it down for him:

I like the original better. Though the first half is a bit long, but once he starts to wrap up TBBT it really gets its stride. The entire Community stuff is gold and needs no editing.

It's a great and intelligent comparison of the two series and is exactly why I hate TBBT so much and love Community so damn much.

Just watched Episode 12 in the first season and I think that was my favorite episode of anything, ever.

Is there a Community general OT or is it safe to discuss old eps here?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In television threads you can discuss all past episodes.
When the show starts, will this be spoiler free? I'm more in the camp that spoilers should be unmarked for official season threads and people who haven't seen the latest should just stay out until they do.

Necrovex

When the show starts, will this be spoiler free? I'm more in the camp that spoilers should be unmarked for official season threads and people who haven't seen the latest should just stay out until they do.

In most TV threads (such as Dexter), one the show airs, it is fine to leave spoilers unmarked. Otherwise, we would be plagued with black bars.

big ander

rule in TV threads is that as soon as something airs anywhere in its native country, it's free to post. i.e. west coast US people can't complain that east coast US people are posting what's happening, and US people can't complain about PBS lag time in a thread for a BBC show.

big ander

Cool!

Jack Black isn't a reoccuring thing in this series.... is he? He's a drain of the funny.

only pops up the once. though I think the ending of his episode with owen wilson and starburns is hilarious.
oh and I didn't realize you were a new viewer, do realize that the fact that we can discuss anything that's aired in seasons 1-3 and soon 4 means you could be spoiled on accident...not that there's a lot to spoil with community, but still. if you want to stay really safe you could just post in the tv shows you've watched recently thread, kinda a catch-all for runoff and all that.

laaame

Cool!

Jack Black isn't a reoccuring thing in this series.... is he? He's a drain of the funny.

Nope. There are plenty of other guest stars though, some who do become reoccurring, but I don't think he is.

Edit:
only pops up the once. though I think the ending of his episode with owen wilson and starburns is hilarious.
oh and I didn't realize you were a new viewer, do realize that the fact that we can discuss anything that's aired in seasons 1-3 and soon 4 means you could be spoiled on accident...not that there's a lot to spoil with community, but still. if you want to stay really safe you could just post in the tv shows you've watched recently thread, kinda a catch-all for runoff and all that.

There are plenty of things to spoil about character changes from season 1 compared to the other seasons. Current Troy and Britta aren't even the same character compared to their season 1 incarnation. But yeah, for the most part, there are very little plot points to spoil.

I'm honestly not worried about spoilers. I'm not one of those people. lol.

And yeah the ending was hilarious... but the rest of the episode with his parts were just, IDK..

But the Toni Braxton shade??? I howled for 5 minutes. POP-GAF needs to catch that!

Glad to see Jack Black isn't a returning character. He seems like a nice guy in person, though.

Mariolee

Yeah, I didn't really like Jack Black's obnoxiousness, or much of anything he's in, really. Aside from the Tenacious D films where his personality doesn't piss me off. School of Rock was pretty good too.

Yeah, I didn't really like Jack Black's obnoxiousness, or much of anything he's in, really. Aside from the Tenacious D films where his personality doesn't piss me off. School of Rock was pretty good too.

But he was supposed to be obnoxious and stalkery. It's like the episode with the annoying kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom