• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: ExxonMobil knew about climate change in the 70s

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't do anything to curb the need for petroleum products in our daily lives?

EV cars are probably going to be the single biggest killer in terms of oil usage.

And like many things, it's not an "IF" EV cars take off, it's only a matter of "WHEN".

The batteries that are used for EV cars have already hit 2020 projections, five years ahead of schedule. Shocked? Well I don't blame you, considering organizations like the EIA constantly shit out completely garbage projections on anything renewable or tech. for the last decade. (Average projection for Lith Ion was around $300 kWh, which is near the cost of it today)

EIA.jpg

Yea, that's $200 kWh for Lith Ion in 2040, which was projected two years ago.

These are current projections for 2020, and Tesla has already stated that there is a good chance Lith Ion could reach near $100 kWh

screen-shot-2015-08-28-at-2.45.51-pm-100610920-orig.png

And note, for EV cars to become truly cost competitive with ICE and cheaper, Lith Ion need to be around $150 kWh

The shift is coming and I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of the current major car manufactures go the way of the dinosaurs in a decade or 15 years.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Scumbag oil company has always been scummy? Not shocked. Doesn't make them any less guilty for the state of the planet. Fuck em all.

Not a major surprise. What will be a surprise is if this gets attention, despite the fact that it is entirely the same as when the tobacco industry tried to convince people the science linking smoking to cancer was inconclusive, and was found to be full of shit.

Also makes you realize how many decades the U.S. squandered with respect to energy production. The first solar cell was developed in the early 1950s, hydrogen fuel cells were used in the 1960s, and back then people were already saying this is going to lead to a new age of energy production, recognizing what seemed to be obvious. Then we discovered a major, environmental impact that developing those technologies would help mitigate. Perfect setup.

Yet here we are, 60-some-odd years later, without a ton of progress. Alternatives are growing but stands no chance fighting the fossil fuel lobby, who dictates energy policy. PR wars are waged regularly. Major investment and incentives for alternative energy is prevented, keeping development costs higher and efficiency lower, then those things are used against it as reasons not to invest. Totally transparent and idiotic logic, yet, politicians, primarily on the right, eat it up. The climate change argument doesn't compel them, either. Many of them don't give a shit if the science is there or not; they know climate change can't be real because God is the only who can affect something like global climate and anyone who argues otherwise is, in fact, arrogant.

Imagine if America had invested in developing those technologies back then. Think about how quickly things we invested consistently in developed. Economy, energy, standards and cost of living, dependence on imports, foreign policy, all kinds of social impacts. Would have almost certainly made a huge difference by now.

Money is more important then people.
Funnily enough, a number of large corporations are starting to back pedal on their voluntary myopia about climate change.

Typically, insurance companies have come to realize they might be in a world of shit sooner than later. - I think there's a quote by a CEO floating around that essentially says their business wouldn't be sustainable with a temperature increase of four degrees.

In the same way, some analysts and consultancies are working on the financial effects of climate change, i.e. how much it would fuck markets in the long run and how much their clients would lose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cheering for these guys, but I wouldn't be too surprised if that same greed pushed a number of companies to actually try to protect their assets by fighting what they empowered for so long.

I keep thinking back to that episode of NDT's Cosmos. The one about how the lead companies tried to suppress the truth about the damaging effects of lead in the environment.

I don't really think so. Petroleum products make everything from plastic to medicine to food.
So we ride this out until earth turns into Venus-lite? We can't be bothered to reduce meat consumption? Get EVs or use mass transit (maybe even just a couple days a week)? Or donate to Pacs/Super PACs that focus on supporting green candidates/legislation? Or research new ways of making the medicine?

We have defeated major industries before for the good of the planet. Why can't we do it again? Because it's harder now?

The Lamp

So we ride this out until earth turns into Venus-lite? We can't be bothered to reduce meat consumption? Get EVs or use mass transit (maybe even just a couple days a week)? Or donate to Pacs/Super PACs that focus on supporting green candidates/legislation? Or research new ways of making the medicine?

We have defeated major industries before for the good of the planet. Why can't we do it again? Because it's harder now?

We can definitely reduce our reliance on petroleum for energy (despite the fact that alternative energy sources are not as efficient), but we can't eliminate it totally because hydrocarbons are crucial to make food, plastics, and medicine, and oil and natural gas are the best sources of hydrocarbons.

If we found a different, easily extractable source of hydrocarbons, that would be something. But we haven't. The best source of hydrocarbons come from other things that had them...deceased biomatter.

I'm interested in if carbon capture technology is something that will end up being the answer to our problems. Take the carbon we expel out into the air and insert it back into the earth.

McLovin

It's too bad we can't jail the people responsible for the cover ups, lobbying, and crooked politicians that made all this possible. Greedy fucks.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't even know what else there is to say at this point. We all know this is happening, and everybody is preparing for it. The fact that people and orgs are still out there who think it is fake... I don't know what to say. It's just beyond words.

Foffy

Banned
Money is more important then people.

Another example of how utterly fucked America is.

The most hilariously infuriating part about it all is money isn't even real. It's a set of ideas and evocations over reality.

And yet, the concepts placed upon reality matter more than reality. Paper means more than people. Figures that have no innate wealth to them matter more than the natural ebb and flow of life on this earth.

How can humans be so capable of doing phenomenal things, yet be caught into the most pedestrian of dogmas?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
fuck it. I'll wait till I'm in the thunderdome with each one of these pricks. The world won't do anything with this information.

I wonder how we can change everyone's mentality so that no one drives cars and gas is reserved for commercial use until a clean alternative is developed.

The world relies on mass transit systems and the CO2 would slowly decrease by Earth's natural air scrubbers.

I have no hope.

Hexa

We can't do anything to curb the need for petroleum products in our daily lives?

Its complicated but I think that we can solve most of the problem. On one hand, electric cars are improving in big ways recently, and I think with self driving cars and what not taking off we'll finally cross into them being the norm.
As for standard electricity usage, alternative energy is making major strides, but one of the biggest gaps is that we need a much smarter grid. That's just a cost issue in terms of infrastructure. Also we need to get rid of the stigma on nuclear.
As for plastics and such, I don't think we'll ever get away from them, but AFAIK they don't really contribute to global climate change. Different issue in terms of people just throwing them away and not recycling, but that too is an issue we can solve.
I think the last big issue is planes and boats. There really hasn't been that much progress on that front.

MogCakes

I feel like this company would sooner amass a private army and initiate war than heed if the gov't ever laid the hammer down on them.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This has kind of been known for awhile now about Exxon, and how they knew decades ago and covered it up. I would love to see them get prosecuted for it like Sanders wants to do, but the oil industry just influences too much of our government right now, I don't see it happening until it really won't matter anymore. Sadly, they will most likely get away with it.

We can definitely reduce our reliance on petroleum for energy (despite the fact that alternative energy sources are not as efficient), but we can't eliminate it totally because hydrocarbons are crucial to make food, plastics, and medicine, and oil and natural gas are the best sources of hydrocarbons.

If we found a different, easily extractable source of hydrocarbons, that would be something. But we haven't. The best source of hydrocarbons come from other things that had them...deceased biomatter.

I'm interested in if carbon capture technology is something that will end up being the answer to our problems. Take the carbon we expel out into the air and insert it back into the earth.
Yes I understand that petrochemicals are used in just about everything. And because of the petrochemical industry we are 5-7 decades behind in terms of research for alternatives. We are simply where we should have been in the 60s or 70s. And it will take time to figure out how to substitute petrochemicals in our daily products. Until then we, as humanity, need to curb consumption.

And yes, I agree carbon capture technology will play a significant role in mitigating/reversing the affects of climate change.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Funnily enough, a number of large corporations are starting to back pedal on their voluntary myopia about climate change.

Typically, insurance companies have come to realize they might be in a world of shit sooner than later. - I think there's a quote by a CEO floating around that essentially says their business wouldn't be sustainable with a temperature increase of four degrees.

In the same way, some analysts and consultancies are working on the financial effects of climate change, i.e. how much it would fuck markets in the long run and how much their clients would lose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cheering for these guys, but I wouldn't be too surprised if that same greed pushed a number of companies to actually try to protect their assets by fighting what they empowered for so long.

That's interesting. Thanks for bringing that up.

The most hilariously infuriating part about it all is money isn't even real. It's a set of ideas and evocations over reality.

Indeed. That's how stupid it really is.

Amory

We live in a world that was and mostly still is completely dependent on oil.

If they had gone out and screamed from the rooftops "HEY THIS IS CAUSING GLOBAL WARMING" it wouldn't have done shit.

I'm not saying this is great news, but the world demanded oil, and they supplied it. That's pretty much what you'd expect an oil company to do.

The Right are masters of messaging. The say anything from "biggest hoax of all time" to "Global warming will be good for us".

The people that love to here it eat it up and there is no changing their minds Even if waters rise 10 feet, after the fact, they will just say "well we didn't cause it, the earth has cycles."

We live in a world that was and mostly still is completely dependent on oil.

If they had gone out and screamed from the rooftops "HEY THIS IS CAUSING GLOBAL WARMING" it wouldn't have done shit.

I'm not saying this is great news, but the world demanded oil, and they supplied it. That's pretty much what you'd expect an oil company to do.
Oh really? So all the cover up and misinformation was just Exxon doing the world a favor? We couldn't have invested in alternative methods, technologies, and means of going about our lives? If they had worked to find solutions to climate change back then we probably would have found more significant ways of curbing greenhouse gas emissions by now.

dabig2

Oh really? So all the cover up and misinformation was just Exxon doing the world a favor? We couldn't have invested in alternative methods, technologies, and means of going about our lives? If they had worked to find solutions to climate change back then we probably would have found more significant ways of curbing greenhouse gas emissions by now.

Exactly. We're decades behind where we should be. There was a right and wrong way to go about business during and after the oil crisis in the 70s, and we probably chose the worst possible option that not only has had severe negative repercussions for the world's climate and environment, but also helped set in stone our disastrous Middle East foreign policy for the next 40+ years.

Imagine if Reagan with all his charisma and ability to change people's minds instead decides to keep Carter's white house solar panels up and decides to invest heavily into alternative technologies buoyed by the fact that the entire public knows Big Oil's big "secret" about climate change and oil. What if.

Amory

The misinformation is the most damning part of all this. I don't expect any company to actively try to stop people from buying/using their product, so I could've understood if they knew and remained silent. Actively spreading misinformation is pretty evil though.

Dreavus

Shortening, probably ending the life of your species (at least) for short term profits...

It is insane.

This is the planet we are all actually living on. It's not like a hot market or natural resources on piece of land that when it dries up and you can say "fuck it" and move elsewhere. There is no elsewhere. WE'RE ALL HERE, and it's literally all we have.

Holy shit reading about this is frustrating.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeeeeeah, no. Oil sand excavations raping vast areas of land, attempted ventures to the Arctic Ocean (though luckily those proved to be too expensive), cheapening the price of oil so that it would keep its edge over renewables at a time when the technology is evolving quickly, going cheap on environmental protection, not doing much to prevent the ever-growing usage of oil etc. are not done by an industry that is trying to drive alternative energy technology. I mean, maybe they do say they are trying to do better, but their actions really don't support any of that. They will suck the oil wells dry if the world at large doesn't do enough to stop it. Some countries are waking up to the harsh reality (Sweden's aim for all renewables is a start, let's hope they succeed and can set an example to others), but others are still lagging behind severely.

Ummm No, that's because of destroyer pricing by Saudi Arabia to drive as many Major US oil companies to bankruptcy as it can so it can eventually increase the price again, and face much less competition in the market.

Opto

Banned
It's going to be real embarrassing after we've all died and the next intelligent life crawls out of the ooze. "They KNEW? WHAT?"

Exxon, Shell, GE, etc. are the leaders in new technologies for carbon capture, solar energy, biofuels, etc.
just to be clear, this is part of the problem. We can't trust these multibillion dollar companies with the keys to our future because of where their priorities lie. Unfortunately they're the ones with a lot of the energy money and means to do this resaerch, so we don't really have a choice. If oil is our addiction, then oil companies are the dealer. Shockingly enough, it's in the dealers best interest to keep their clients addicted.

The Lamp

just to be clear, this is part of the problem. We can't trust these multibillion dollar companies with the keys to our future because of where their priorities lie. Unfortunately they're the ones with a lot of the energy money and means to do this resaerch, so we don't really have a choice. If oil is our addiction, then oil companies are the dealer. Shockingly enough, it's in the dealers best interest to keep their clients addicted.

But they are also competing with each other because they all want to be the first ones to figure out a profitable and efficient alternative energy solution OR something like carbon capture technology.

But they are also competing with each other because they all want to be the first ones to figure out a profitable and efficient alternative energy solution OR something like carbon capture technology.
Given the topic of this thread, I don't trust the invisible hand or capitalist competition to solve a problem like this. No alternative energy solution is going to be as profitable short term for these companies as oil and I don't trust them to think long-term if it comes at the expense of quarterly earnings. They've dragged their feet, lobbied against anything that would hurt their bottom line and flat out lied concerning the damage of global warming.

Carbon capture at best is mitigation, not a solution. It also conveniently is pushed by those already producing oil and coal and have money sunk into oil and coal infrastructure as a way to not stop using oil and coal. Maybe 30-40 years ago we could discussed mitigation, but we're already past that point of worrying about lessening the damage. Unless it can be used to directly remove the CO2 already in the atmosphere and reverse ocean acidification, it's just a way to lessen what were dumping into the atmosphere. That isn't good enough by a long shot, not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom