• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy runs at 1440p@30fps on PS4 Pro

Trace

Banned
It's either some of the game's code is tied to 30 fps, or the devs just want to ship it and don't see 60 fps as necessary, since the nostalgia factor alone will push sales as long as it's not a flaming wreck.

Or C: They started with a 30fps lock as one of the development priorities. Which I can guarantee you is what happened.

So... why is it 30 fps? Is the game's logic tied to framerate or is it developer choice?

Both of those are the same thing. A game just doesn't magically have the logic tied to framerate, that's a development decision. (Not saying this game has that).

MUnited83

For you.
It's either some of the game's code is tied to 30 fps, or the devs just want to ship it and don't see 60 fps as necessary, since the nostalgia factor alone will push sales as long as it's not a flaming wreck.

So... why is it 30 fps? Is the game's logic tied to framerate or is it developer choice?
It would take a ridiculous amount of stupidity to tie game logic to framerate in fucking 2017. This is a remake, not a remaster. There is nothing from the first game limiting anything.

PSlayer

And yet every PSVR game is 60fps or more.

It's not the specs.

I never said PS4 can't run games at 60fps. I'm saying games that run at 30fps on OG won't run at 60fps on Pro because the cpu is a bottleneck.

If you downgrade your game's scope and graphics enough it can run at 120fps if you want(it will look like a ps2 game tho). PSVR games are mostly Room simulators for a reason.

BigEmil

Using the Skylanders engine not surprised.

Not a single one of their games run at 60fps.

So their engine likely more turned towards 30fps only

leeh

I'd like to hear why you know it is not powerful enough and why other native 4k games on ps4 pro are less demanding than this platformer? I don't know a lot but I also can't see much of a reason why it couldn't run at 4k. I don't see a high cpu demand,physis or large draw distances.

I don't think the devs are lazy btw. Every game has a budget. I would think in this case it is more likely the budget is the reason since it might take more time and money to get the game running in native 4k.
If it would of ran at 4k, they simply would of changed it to run at 4k.

I don't get the complication of this basic principle.

That's insane. I love 60fps games, but for Crash it wouldn't make nearly enough difference for that to be anywhere near worthwhile.

This is why it would great to have options, beyond "1080p/30, or buy a PS4 Pro for 1440p/30."

That way, people can have their "insane" preferences and it wouldn't affect you :D

Trace

Banned
This is why it would great to have options, beyond "1080p/30, or buy a PS4 Pro for 1440p/30."

That way, people can have their "insane" preferences and it wouldn't affect you :D
Play games on PC is your answer. Wouldn't help in this case but does in 90% of cases.

alexbull_uk

I think a lot of people would have questioned VV's sanity if they'd announced a 720p mode for the N. Sane Trilogy.

Play games on PC is your answer. Wouldn't help in this case but does in 90% of cases.

This thread isn't about PC though. It's about the resolution/framerate of this particular release.

"Play it on PC" isn't a decent answer when it comes to wanting options in a PS4 game.

I think a lot of people would have questioned VV's sanity if they'd announced a 720p mode for the N. Sane Trilogy.

But, for you, it would fit the collection's title

I bet they had the devs had to have that talk.

I see no reason why this game couldn't have been 60. Maybe a few things would have taken a hit but nothing earth shattering.

But since the OG games are 30fps and obviously VV are trying to be extremely faithful with this remake, is 30fps the right choice for this project when nailing the "feel" is super important

MUnited83

For you.
I bet they had the devs had to have that talk.

I see no reason why this game couldn't have been 60. Maybe a few things would have taken a hit but nothing earth shattering.

But since the OG games are 30fps and obviously VV are trying to be extremely faithful with this remake, is 30fps the right choice for this project when nailing the "feel" is super important

That would be a extremely silly reasoning. First, because they already take lots of liberties with the assets and textures, that many times don't resemble the originals all that much. Second because having 60fps wouldn't mess up the "feel" at all. It's like arguing for the Shadow of the Colossus remaster on PS3 should be imitating the terrible framerate it had on the PS2.

Zemm

30fps for a platformer is pretty bad. Just like fighting games and a whole host of other genres, 60fps is a must for me.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Skylanders Swap force runs at 1080p 60hz on Xbox and PS4

I don't know who told you that but it's wrong.

Top Bottom