• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crispbread sandwiches

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
breadokjyu.png

I enjoy crispbread with either cheese or red cabbage. Sometimes pickled herring.

Sandwich threads are bountiful on NeoGAF, though I haven't seen one specifically for crispbread (or knäckebread) sandwiches. I don't know how common this is in US, but in Sweden it's staple food.

In addition to bread and butter, you’ll often find a type of crispbread (knäckebröd) served alongside your main meal. This is what the Swedes tend to reach for. Once considered poor man’s food, crispbread has been baked in Sweden for over 500 years, can last for at least a year if stored properly, and remains among the most versatile edible products. The Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) ran a campaign in the 1970s suggesting Swedes should eat six to eight slices of bread a day, including crispbread. This comes in various shapes, thicknesses and flavours, with entire store shelves devoted to it. Crispbread can be topped with anything from sliced boiled eggs and caviar squeezed from a tube for breakfast; to ham, cheese and cucumber slices for lunch; to just plain butter along with your dinner.
Source: https://sweden.se/culture-traditions/10-things-to-know-about-swedish-food/

Crispbread may seem a bit bland, but it's surprisingly tasty, even the cheap variant I usually buy. If you haven't tried it and should come across a pack, give it a go.

bread21fjg5.png
bread3kpj5c.png

Is this any different from crackers? Because those just looks like crackers. We've got those here in the US, though Crispbread sounds way fancier.

Yeah we eat a lot of this in scandinavia. My mom even prefers it to regular bread. I eat it from time to time with cheese (usually norwegian brunost). It's good.

Look up knekkebrød if you want to see how we eat it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
That's not a sandwich.

Like if I ordered a sandwich and it came out like that, I'd send it back and tell them to put a sandwich on it.

That mostly resembles a cracker appetizer that would be served kinda like this:

84e46efef6482696238369120b7dc8c1.jpg

That's not a sandwich.

Like if I ordered a sandwich and it came out like that, I'd send it back and tell them to put a sandwich on it.

Appetizer for 20 right? Cause otherwise that's a big ass appetizer.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yes, in America we do in fact have cheese and crackers. Which is what you posted.

The other thing below in the OP is the kind of hors d'oeuvres you'd have at a wedding or banquet... but we nobody eats that stuff at home typically unless you are throwing a part.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Looks like Danish Smørrebrød, but on crackers. This thread is gonna turn struggle sandwich, but these actually look like a real good snack and much better than the awful Lunchables-level shit posted in comparison.

pbayne

Ryvita are really nice with a cup of coffee.
I like them well enough dry-maybe dip them into some sauce the odd time.

Huh in the uk i hear most people calling them crispbread. Or wafers.

d00d3n

Crispbread is delicious. You have to eat it with a generous serving of butter in addition to any other ingredients though. Otherwise it is just too dry.

The consistency is not exactly like crackers. It is firmer, less crumbly and includes more air bubbles. The taste is different as well due to the high rye content and less salt.

Crispbread is delicious. You have to eat it with a generous serving of butter in addition to any other ingredients though. Otherwise it is just too dry.

The consistency is not exactly like crackers. It is firmer, less crumbly and includes more air bubbles. The taste is different as well due to the high rye content and less salt.

It doesn't really need butter imo. It's perfect with just a nice thick slice of Havarti.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Knäckebrödmacka with a slice of cheese is the best thing, probably singlehandeldy responsible for me not dying of malnutrition in school.

Tacitus_

That's not a sandwich.

They're a side dish with your main meal (or a snack between meals), not the only thing you eat. Like this (random school meal from google):

leakey

Yeah. When I don't feel like cooking I'll just put some cucumber and tomatoes and a cracker with some cheese and call it a tapa. Good with 🍷

mike6467

I'm sitting here eating saltines and some quality Gruyere (because there were no good crackers in the house). I didn't think this topic would be relevant to me, but yeah, cheese and crackers are great.

Edit:

Per Wiki: Crispbread is a flat and dry type of bread or cracker, containing mostly rye flour. Crispbreads are light and keep fresh for a very long time. Crispbread is a staple food[2] and was for a long time considered a poor man's diet.[3] However, in recent years there has been renewed interest in crispbread in the Nordic countries.

Per Merriam Webster: Definition of crispbread: a plain dry unsweetened cracker made from crushed grain (such as wheat or rye)

I mean, they're crackers, maybe a specific type of cracker, but they're still crackers.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Also what's so hard to understand about crispbread being a seperate thing from crackers? They have a completely different taste and consistancy.

Also you often call it "knäckebrödssmörgås" which would be translated to "crispbread sandwich", it's just that the concept of a smörgås and a sandwich seems to be seen differnetly depending on where you're from. In Sweden a "smörgås" could be anything from bread and butter to subway sandwich, there's just no better translation to use.

oti

Banned
Also what's so hard to understand about crispbread being a seperate thing from crackers? They have a completely different taste and consistancy.

Also you often call it "knäckebrödssmörgås" which would be translated to "crispbread sandwich", it's just that the concept of a smörgås and a sandwich seems to be seen differnetly depending on where you're from. In Sweden a "smörgås" could be anything from bread and butter to subway sandwich, there's just not a better word to use.

Aren't crackers also more buttery? Knäckebrot is just a super dry canapé for other stuff. I wouldn't really eat it by itself, unless it had some baked cheese or nuts on it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Aren't crackers also more buttery? Knäckebrot is just a super dry canapé for other stuff. I wouldn't really eat it by itself, unless it had some baked cheese or nuts on it.

Yeah they are eaten in different ways than crackers too. It's not a meal in and of itself, it's eaten on the side (as someone posted a picture of above) or for breakfast as an alternative to soft bread and then often with cheese or other stuff on it.

KHarvey16

But there are a million different crackers with unique or different tastes and consistencies already. I understand if it's got a specific name elsewhere but here it would definitely be a cracker.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
But there are a million different crackers with unique or different tastes and consistencies already. I understand if it's got a specific name elsewhere but here it would definitely be a cracker.

Yes it's good that the concept of knäckebröd has a specific name in the english language it's called -crispbread-

KHarvey16

It's considered a flat, dry bread.

Again I understand if that's how you know it but if you present that to 100 people here and let them see it, touch it and eat it all 100 would say it's a cracker. Nothing about it would cause someone to think otherwise here.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Again I understand if that's how you know it but if you present that to 100 people here and let them see it, touch it and eat it all 100 would say it's a cracker. Nothing about it would cause someone to think otherwise here.

But why would a thread about a specific thing not use the specific name? I don't get it. Also have you ever tasted real crispbread or are you just going by the looks and saying that most would call it a cracker and not a dry bread?

Top Bottom