• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek wants 8GB of RAM in next-gen consoles

The funny thing is that the "ram is cheap nowadays you can buy 32gb at newegg for the price of a Bigmac" comments were spot on (at least for Durango). Sony completely knocked it out of the park.

Ahahaha.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Lesson learned in this thread?

Just because you're a hardware enthusiast that builds pc's in your own spare time doesn't make qualified to be an expert in Research and development for consoles.

Armchair tech gaf got owned. HARD
We have yet to see the impact of that decision (as in cost, power consumption, etc).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Foxix Von

I'm all for more ram in the next consoles but 1 that's an excessive amount for a console and 2 that's never going to happen.

Well.... shit.

Someone get me some honey mustard, I need to choke this sumbitch down...

8rUY69I.jpg

pestul

Phew.. I only mentioned some crap about flash memory so no crow for me. At that time I would have been shocked if any system had more than 4GB though. :eek:

LCGeek

formerly sane
Its gonna be a lot. Especially if the system has 480p or more recording res. Plus you have to dedicate some hardware resources to it.

This is my only beef. Rendering and playing can hit the fps if you don't do it right. Same for how you're writing to a device. They are going to need a decent bit of space permanently for this.Anything HD level and for more than few minutes adds up espceially in a raw format.

The fact we have confirmation that a console next gen will be built for this is encouraging to me. As heavy pc mindset who does this making this mainstream only engages people to get more in to games from a personal stand point. Some of the pcs biggest games enjoy communities where videos of various aspects casual to serious can be seen. Making a majority of all gamers able to join in on a platform if they want is a true positive step in to the next generation. This is something a pc cannot enjoy due to how hardware platform works.

Curufinwe

I wanted to bump it last night when GAF came back after the 8 GB announcement, but it was still locked.

Yeah this thread was created in 2011 and technology is moving really fast.
Still funny :p

People who claimed 8 GB was impossible weren't so wrong if they were assuming the next consoles would launch in 2012.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Sony made the mistake of going with the most exotic shit possible. Things that were almost impossible to reduce the costs on. If you take a hit on something like GPU, RAM, etc. - your costs will significantly lower. Sony can easily release a -

Multi Cell
8 gig Ram
GTX 580 equivalent or better

at 399 in 2013.

No, just no. Unless you want to pay up to - or more than $800

Good one.

You've got to be joking lol.

Assuming they would be able to pull something like that off... their loses in production would be huge and for a long time.

There's just no way.

looks like thuway backed off his early predictions cause of the rumors, for shame.

This thread is awesome. I swear I posted on it also...

Well Crytek got their wish

Now they can make the super prettiest mediocre shooter evar!!

Unless it's PC exclusive than it's the most amazing game experience you can have in your life! Master race delivers! Then we make fun of Killzone for being another boring shooter.

DBT85

Its gonna be a lot. Especially if the system has 480p or more recording res. Plus you have to dedicate some hardware resources to it.

Well it's got dedicated hardware for the video encoding and decoding. They said that already.

15 minutes of 720p video shouldn't be that large in file size, certainly less than 1GB, though I doubt they would store it in RAM.

link1201

After reading through some of the earlier comments , I am getting hyped again for the upcoming consoles. We may not get everything we want but looks as though we're getting more than a good portion thought we would.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
2 GB video RAM, 2-4 GB of system RAM.

My PC already has more. :p

I don't see what the fuss is over lots of system RAM. Email checker PCs for $400 come with 6-8 GB. Consoles don't use the same RAM and it's uber expensive? Fire your supplier and engineer a damn solution. Not sure why $100 in COGs is suddenly not worth designing around when you're planning on making 50 million units, lol.

High 5, 2011 self.

Top Bottom