• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daniel Day-Lewis is Spielberg's Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has made one good film since 2003 (Munich), how long can people use it to defend him?

Lincoln could be very good, or it could be very sentimental and average. We'll see

Did you see Tintin? It was a great movie. I liked War of the Worlds too. The point is he's not tried to make a movie like this except Munich which was great. How does the terminal have any relation to a movie like this?

Wilbur

Banned
Sounds like a film where Spielberg's really got his heart in it. Dont think I've liked any of his films since WOTW. I'm in.

Haven't seen Munich yet. GAF tells me I should.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
If it covers the civil war then well...that part. PG-13 war films are just lol.
If this is at all faithful to the book, then it's going to be a political film, not a war film. In fact, the book is rich enough that all the emotion can be conveyed purely from Lincoln's point of view. Any grand battle scenes would completely miss the point.

strafer

Official poster.

8uYcx.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
Music by John Williams.

*excite*

Maybe finally John will nab his first Oscar since 1993/Schindler.

Unless Gustavo Santaolalla, Fiorentino de la Giacchino or Gespacho Italiano are writing film scores this holiday season.

*excite*

Maybe finally John will nab his first Oscar since 1993/Schindler.

Unless Gustavo Santaolalla, Fiorentino de la Giacchino or Gespacho Italiano are writing film scores this holiday season.

He was already robbed in 2005 between Munich and Geisha.

BowieZ

Banned
wat. Geisha, really?

Brokeback Mountain was a deserving winner that year.
BAFTAs, Golden Globes and Grammys all disagree :p

(Memoirs won all 3)

And yeah, what Sculli said. It was plainly a split vote situ, and hence BBM was not deserving.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The end of the movie will be Lincoln receiving an invitation to the Our American Cousin play. DDL will say in a deep voice "Sounds like a killer time." while looking at the camera and raising his eyebrows.

Thus, no JWB in the film.

My father writes a time-travel series and one of his books has Lincoln as a character. I sent him the pic of the poster and he said this:

my dad said:
Nice poster. The haircut is too normal. Lincoln had bristly black hair that stuck out all over.

He's also eager to hear what DDL does with the voice. I think they'll punt on this one. Lincoln apparently had a very thin, reedy voice. I just can't see an audience accepting it straight. Still, I guess I can't put anything past DDL.

CrazyDude

Does this mean Liam Neeson was not his first choice? I also wonder what made DDL change his mind.

“Very quietly, several of us went to Springfield, Ill., to do research,” producer Kathleen Kennedy says. “It was thrilling to be there. Daniel Day-Lewis mostly went unrecognized.” The actor, considered serious Oscar bait in this role, is “the greatest actor of our time,” says Spielberg. “The honor of getting to work with this man was thrilling. He didn’t say yes for years. He turned me down years ago. He was too intimidated and told me, ‘He is too great a man.’ I just kept going back to him again and again.”

(I hate to link to the sun.)

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/movies/14792429-421/the-last-twilight-and-13-other-big-movies-for-the-fall.html

sphinx

the piano man
sorry for my ignorance but as foreigner, non US-american, I am really curious: did the real Abraham Lincoln speak with some particular accent or tone or some specific kind of english that Daniel Day lewis would have needed to practice in order to pull off the role??

I am a sucker for actors/actresses doing accents, I love Meryl Sreep as Margaret Tachter and I hope DDL transforms himself even more as Lincoln.

sorry for my ignorance but as foreigner, non US-american, I am really curious: did the real Abraham Lincoln speak with some particular accent or tone or some specific kind of english that Daniel Day lewis would have needed to practice in order to pull off the role??

I am a sucker for actors/actresses doing accents, I love Meryl Sreep as Margaret Tachter and I hope DDL transforms himself even more as Lincoln.

Nobody can be certain what he sounded like, but yeah he probably had a pretty distinct accent but more jarringly he apparently a surprisingly high, shrill voice that shocked people. I don't think this is extremely common knowledge so most of the audience are probably expecting a deep, commanding voice. I can't wait to hear what DDL does here.

Lincoln's voice was, when he first began speaking, shrill, squeaking, piping, unpleasant; his general look, his form, his pose, the color of his flesh, wrinkled and dry, his sensitiveness, and his momentary diffidence, everything seemed to be against him, but he soon recovered.
--William H. Herndon letter, July 19, 1887

But whenever he began to talk his eyes flashed and every facial movement helped express his idea and feeling. Then involuntarily vanished all thought or consciousness of his uncouth appearance, or awkward manner, or even his high keyed, unpleasant voice.
--Abram Bergen in Intimate Memories of Lincoln

The [second] inaugural address was received in most profound silence. Every word was clear and audible as the ringing and somewhat shrill tones of Lincoln's voice sounded over the vast concourse.
--Noah Brooks in Washington in Lincoln's Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom