• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daniel Day-Lewis is Spielberg's Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Pretty ambivalent so far.... I'm really skeptical of Spielberg's ability to deliver with a film like this.

CrazyDude

Yeah, I suppose it is the soldier. GAF is confusing for no good reason. I should have such with my first intuition of it being the soldier.

Don't know what you all are smoking but that definitely sounds like Daniel Day Lewis to me. Just a different accent than he's done before.

Then again, maybe I'm smoking something.

Its the Gettysburg address, Lincoln gave it.

lol thank you I am aware of who Lincoln was and the address. I am simply saying that it seems like the soldier is reciting it to Lincoln and that's what we hear in the trailer. As he is turning away from Lincoln his mouth is wording it in sync and it seems to trail off as he walks away.

Maybe it's a good motivational scene for Lincoln. Either way I'm hyped.

Why would a soldier be reciting the Gettysburg Address while turning and walking away from Lincoln? His lips are synced with it for all of like half a second, he could be saying anything.

You can clearly see that it's the black soldier who's talking.

It briefly matches up for one or two word, not enough for a definite. And why is he walking away halfway through his speech? I stick by my statement that it's DDL speaking. Feel free to quote and mock when there's more information.

It's DDL with a southernish accent thought.

Why would a soldier be reciting the Gettysburg Address while turning and walking away from Lincoln? His lips are synced with it for all of like half a second, he could be saying anything.

I am guessing he is reciting it to Lincoln from memory after Lincoln gave it and it's a nice motivational moment for Lincoln on the battlefield, really showing the impact he had on the soldiers or something. I can imagine it being very moving emotionally.

CrazyDude

Doing research about the movie, it seems we are not going to see the assassination of Lincoln. Instead we will get the information about him being shot from Tad Lincoln's perspective, and then finally see his death in the Peterson house.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Who knows, but it is the black soldier speaking. It sounds nothing like DDL and has a black man's tone to it. Im confused as to why anyone thought that was DDL in the first place.

I am guessing he is reciting it to Lincoln from memory after Lincoln gave it and it's a nice motivational moment for Lincoln on the battlefield, really showing the impact he had on the soldiers or something. I can imagine it being very moving emotionally.

It could be, but turning and walking away like he is in the middle of it seems kind of an... odd thing to do. I need some context. And the lipsync thing doesn't really convince me, it's so short it may as well just be coincidental.

It doesn't sound all that much like DDL though, nor does it sound anything like I'd expect Lincoln to sound like. I dunno what the heck is going on.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Even for a teaser that left me pretty ambivalent; it was really just DDL staring for a few seconds.

Who knows, but it is the black soldier speaking. It sounds nothing like DDL and has a black man's tone to it. Im confused as to why anyone thought that was DDL in the first place.
Its a quote from Lincoln, didn't see the guys lips moving on a tiny youtube screen

Also this movie looks pretty depressing. Wasn't Lincoln pretty depressed?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's not a teaser. It's a teaser for a trailer. The teaser is coming Thursday. Fuck Hollywood.

I guess there was a cutaway to some battle, but I don't have any interest in battles in this movie.

Don't know why I watched that. Well, I guess I do. But man are teasers for trailers fucking pointless. How can anybody take away a positive impression from that 5 second stare? Studios are dumb and marketing departments need to be spanked.

Yeah, that's what I'm curious about. It sounds nothing like DDL, but I'm not sure what Lincoln was supposed to sound like.

I posted these contemporary accounts earlier.
Lincoln's voice was, when he first began speaking, shrill, squeaking, piping, unpleasant; his general look, his form, his pose, the color of his flesh, wrinkled and dry, his sensitiveness, and his momentary diffidence, everything seemed to be against him, but he soon recovered.
--William H. Herndon letter, July 19, 1887

But whenever he began to talk his eyes flashed and every facial movement helped express his idea and feeling. Then involuntarily vanished all thought or consciousness of his uncouth appearance, or awkward manner, or even his high keyed, unpleasant voice.
--Abram Bergen in Intimate Memories of Lincoln

The [second] inaugural address was received in most profound silence. Every word was clear and audible as the ringing and somewhat shrill tones of Lincoln's voice sounded over the vast concourse.
--Noah Brooks in Washington in Lincoln's Time

And, yes, that's the black soldier saying those words, not Lincoln. Maybe DDL is really doing an accurate (as far as we can know) voice and that's why it's not in the trailer. I really thought they would soft-pedal that.

CrazyDude

I posted these contemporary accounts earlier.

And, yes, that's the black soldier saying those words, not Lincoln. Maybe DDL is really doing an accurate (as far as we can know) voice and that's why it's not in the trailer. I really thought they would soft-pedal that.

Here is article about Lincoln's voice,

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Ask-an-Expert-What-Did-Abraham-Lincolns-Voice-Sound-Like.html

According to him this performance has been the most accurate so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXSpJt8HIfM

CrazyDude

I'm hoping this is more in the style of Jurassic Park. With dinosaurs.

il_fullxfull.313543245.jpg

Because this is now a Spielberg thread, I just want to say that I think Minority Report kind of sucks. I say 'kind of' because at times it's really good. But for the most part, it takes a very interesting story and makes it look terribly dull. Some of the decisions in lighting, composition, and shooting are just poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom