• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space to Wii

kamorra said:
And what does it show? That the DS is capable of displaying still images? Don't get me wrong I think you right about how amazing the DS is but Apollo Justice doesn't fit here.

There's animation in Apollo Justice.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Chaos Theory shits on almost everything on Wii, and that image you posted absolutly dosn't make it any justice, same goes for Ninja Gaiden.

That was Double Agent not Chaos Theory. And Ninja Gaiden doesn't look as great as people remember it either. I just posted average pics of all the games.

codecow

~Kinggi~ said:
well the xbox is more powerful than the wii, mainly due to the fact it could take advantage of normal maps to greater effect.

There was no normal mapping running in that demo.

gamingeek

AzureJericho said:
Oh my sweet Christ.. Wii owners really should be offended by what's hitting the system looking at some of those pics. I mean, I always knew the Rogue Squadron games were wowsome on GC, but some of those pics, I've never even seen before.

I know, look at that shit. I don't think that developers have much of an excuse these days, especially reading the Eggebrecht interview in the thread.

For those that missed it: http://thevgpress.com/forumtopics/f...ey-arent-out-of-business-56k-warning_133.html

Also RE4 still looks great on cube, I believe these are Tab's shots.

4v3rc7q.jpg

4zt08y8.jpg

Some more decent screens of better looking Wii games:

61331520090122_183217_13_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_11_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_9_big.jpg

61331520090122_183217_8_big.jpg

72891520090213_121830_10_big.jpg

72891520090213_121830_7_big.jpg

72891520090213_121830_9_big.jpg

Those Black screens? I own the demo on Xbox, never played the full game, but it didn't look like that at all.

http://www.thevgpress.com

CaVaYeRo

gamingeek said:
I dont want to get into some sort of Xbox vs Wii pissing match. Just wanted to show that there are better examples of cube/Wii mapping than Dewy.

Yeah, I just used that image because it was the first Wii game using normal maps in some elements. Oh, and for the joke's shake.

[Nintex] said:
When the GameCube and Xbox were just rolling in, Eggebrecht talked all about the power of the GameCube, which in his opinion was far beyond the PS2 and Xbox. The only flaw in the design according to him was the lack of RAM. The GameCube could be pushed well beyond it's limit, he even called out Nintendo for the conservative specs that they released to the press.

Indeed, he's the best choice to take advantage of the Wii hardware, just for it being a GC expansion. I interviewed him long ago and I'd love to see what they can do:

RG: Can it be because of their tools? That it would be easier if the Wii had standard shader effects... or is it a matter of work because you have to prepare the shaders for yourself?

JE: The one thing which makes it probably harder for developers who are coming from the traditional direction is that the shader system inside the hardware works quite differently, you have something more right about that than the traditional AGI and the video pipelines. Because the thinking back when the basic graphics hardware structure was developed was to get very, very efficient, that hotwired a lot of things. But there're many possibilities in terms of how to use that hotwiring and actually rewire it, if you're clever about it. If you connect you can get a lot of shader effects which would've been on the 360 or the PS3.

RG: If you "create" them on the Wii

JE: Yeah, because... on the Wii, you just have to be more ingenious. But the Wii, on the other hand... I mean, think about it: it's got so much more power compared to the GameCube. If even with the extremely similar shader hardware, the system clockrate is so much higher, you can do so much more advanced things, so if people just would look at Rouge Leader, Rebel Strike and Resident Evil 4 and then say: this hardware is significantly faster than those games it should have the very minimum they should get that and then they should build on top of it.

RG: And with much more memory...

JE: Yeah, exactly, and the memory! That is a very good point. Aside from the shaders, our main limitation which we always found on the GameCube was the memory: the memory was a struggle the whole time; it was a very hard struggle. That was actually our biggest struggle. When we got the Wii specifications we were excited because we said "wow, this is actually the amount of memory which we needed"

RG: The memory problem you had before

JE: Yes, exactly, that would've been our "dream memory". (laughs)

The GC 07 interview: http://www.revogamers.net/articulos...-y-el-desarrollo-de-la-potencia-de-Wii-5.html

EDIT: Oh, I see that they have the JE and our last Overlord technical interview as a related topic in that other thread, as well.

gamingeek

CaVaYeRo said:
EDIT: Oh, I see that they have the JE and our last Overlord technical interview as a related topic in that other thread, as well.

Yeah that was me. I love that your site goes out of its way to ask technical questions like that and gives nudges to developers that they should be trying more. That F5 interview was very enlightening and its such a shame that they are in trouble or have closed down.

Eteric Rice

Interesting interview up there.

I hope Factor 5 comes back in some form or another one day. I'd like to see them take a wack at the Wii again, just to see what they can do.

soldat7

Flying_Phoenix said:
And Ninja Gaiden doesn't look as great as people remember it either. I just posted average pics of all the games.

Ninja Gaiden on an HDTV upscaled via 360 could almost pass as a native 360 game.

Shiggy

Eteric Rice said:
Interesting interview up there.

I hope Factor 5 comes back in some form or another one day. I'd like to see them take a wack at the Wii again, just to see what they can do.

Why come back when they are still alive?

Gwanatu T

I imagine this will be more cash-in than anything else, but it would be nice to be surprised. I've got Dead Space for PC and minus the bizarro mouse look I love the game, just have to sit and finish it.

soldat7 said:
Ninja Gaiden on an HDTV upscaled via 360 could almost pass as a native 360 game.

This is very true, and one of the few reasons I was disappointed in NG2. NG pushed the Xbox so far graphically it was unbelievable.

MiniDitka

Dascu

abstract alien said:
If this is indeed all gameplay..then its nice to see the extra power do something more than just push screen shot quality. This is more of what I wanted when the ps3/360 was announced....stuff that couldnt run on the older systems, and not just because it has molecular blitz light. This might finally be the beginning of a true "next gen" console game as far as horse power and utilization is concerned.
Wrong topic buckaroo. ;)

EmCeeGramr said:
The best part is that
that Necromorph is actually Nicole.

Neat fact hidden in the game. Take the chapter titles...

N - New Arrivals
I - Intensive Care
C - Course Correction
O - Obliteration Imminent
L - Lethal Devotion
E - Environmental Hazard

I - Into the Void
S - Search and Rescue

D - Dead on Arrival
E - End of Days
A - Alternate Solutions
D - Dead Space

oh wow, never noticed it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm looking forward to see this.

It's a super shame how poorly DS actually has sold so far :(
Army of Two for one has sold over double what Dead Space has done.
Not that Ao2 is a poor game, but DS is just so much better...

pakkit

Banned
I know Black doesn't look as good as its screenshots, but it still looks better than Wii FPS's. It also makes me eternally sad that HoTD:Overkill has frame stutters, since Black ran explosions, debris, and massive amounts of particle effects with rare slowdown. EA can you please just give one of your AAA developers money equivalent to the amount you'd pay for a 360 game and just let them totally have their way with the Wii hardware? The Wii needs its Ico, or its Chaos Theory. I know games are finally starting to look good, but I want Iwata's promise to become Iwata's REALITY.

*laughs*

defferoo

wsippel said:
Judging by the jaggies, that teaser image is actually a screenshot of the Wii version I assume?

hmm... yeah, I see the jaggies as well. that would probably mean it is a screenshot of Dead Space Wii. (see window sill of the screenshot for the jaggies)

Eteric Rice

defferoo said:
hmm... yeah, I see the jaggies as well. that would probably mean it is a screenshot of Dead Space Wii. (see window sill of the screenshot for the jaggies)

That's what I thought as well.

gamingeek

MiniDitka said:
Never played it the XBOX but I have it on PS2 and its a pretty good looking game.

Black PS2 - http://www.imeem.com/people/x3pRCQF...asmeo_black_ps2_first_level_videogames_video/

If they can make DS Wii look like this http://www.imeem.com/people/x3pRCQF/video/-j5FBE_y/miniditka_re4hdtv_test_videogames_video/ I'll be perfectly happy.

Thanks that brought back memories. That demo was painfully short. I remember, I was never really impressed by the visuals in the demo on Xbox. The texture quality was too.... I guess PS2 like. You know that a whole bunch of PS2 games had this "look" so when you played games on Xbox and Cube you could tell when they were made for PS2.

Those Black screens definetely seem sharped and posed, even the colour saturation seems richer. Still, I should eventually rent this but a friend told me it was repetitive.

Are you on the Ask Capcom boards BTW?

later

With EA supposedly focusing on Wii now, it would only make sense if they fund the development of a great wii engine usable in multiple projects.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EmCeeGramr said:
His home page is Wii-Italia, and his phrasing of "until 23h..." indicates that English isn't his first language. It's a possibility. :p
He was probably talking about an embargo to lift on midnight (which, in Italy, was exactly 23 hours after his post).

wsippel

Banned
Jocchan said:
He was probably talking about an embargo to lift on midnight (which, in Italy, was exactly 23 hours after his post).
If he actually knew something, maybe he just got the timezone wrong. Why should EA use GMT+1, anyway?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
nightside said:
about 30 minutes ago:p
Exactly (52 minutes now).

wsippel said:
If he actually knew something, maybe he just got the timezone wrong. Why should EA use GMT+1, anyway?
Yeah, it apparently doesn't make much sense. I just noticed that:
1. he writes for a pretty big Italian news site
2. 23 hours after his post was midnight in Italy
3. I've heard some other rumors of the game being revealed today
So I thought I might be onto something, and shared my thoughts ;P

Haunted said:
The game hasn't even been officially announced yet.
If (not saying it will) the game is indeed going to be announced today, I'd expect a PR plus a few screenshots.

EDIT: about the rumors, I'm not sure about their reliability. So don't count on them.

Top Bottom