• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space to Wii

rezuth

Cow Mengde said:
What's that youtube video you have there? Is it some kind of video game? I can't see shit other than some screen screen blackness.
Get a better screen so you can watch another screen so you can watch a game while you watch a screen... Yikes... I should almost be banned for that one.

HylianTom

Banned
bmf said:
Could be. As far as I can tell, Nintendo has three or four different directions that they could take with their next generation:

1) Wii+ - I'd reason that they could get away with yet another die shrink and tweak for 2011 or 2012, and with 3x the clockspeed and 2x-3x the ram, they could make something that is very reasonable for 720p rendering. Include a scaler to get it to display 1080i, NTSC, and PAL, and rely on the TV's internal scaler if it needs to scale to 1080p. This is my favorite theory of where they'll go. It will allow them to fairly easily maintain backwards compatibility, and will be an upgrade for their expanded audience.

2) 360/360+ (or the full generational leap) - Whole new chipset and 512 megs of ram. Aim to meet or beat what the 360 and PS3 do. This could very well be where Nintendo goes. I think that they'll do this if 3rd parties start seeing development costs come down as tools become better. I"m a bit skeptical of this as texturing is paid for in man-hours.

3) SuperGenerational Leap - Whole new chipset and one or more gigs of ram. Stuff as much hardware as they can into a $300 box and still make a profit - if not immediately - then eventually. This isn't likely.

4) Extended Generation - This is the wildcard, and can be combined with any of the other three. Let the Wii stay on shelves for 8-10 years with no CPU, GPU, or RAM upgrade. We may see upgrades to Flash, wifi, control scheme (motion+ and the like), or casing, but the system's capabilities stay the same.

I want to make a new thread about this, make it a prediction thread where people make their predictions in a pre-codified way, but I know that it wouldn't end well.

If forced to guess, I suspected we're going to see Option #2.

Nintendo would get to see a profit on its hardware. {once again, hooray for Nintendo's financial shrewdness!}
I also suspect that such a system would be a nice target for ports from the 360/PS3 generation, which would help its library early-on in the generation (a good counter to the reduction in games due to longer development cycles).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Flying_Phoenix said:
943228_20070921_screen001.jpg

monster-hunter-3-20081006072330060_640w.jpg

Luckily there are some.

Edit: Yes, yes, obviously bullshots from Black. Sorry, I was mostly playing PC games during that timeframe.

Haunted

bmf said:
Could be. As far as I can tell, Nintendo has three or four different directions that they could take with their next generation:

1) Wii+ - I'd reason that they could get away with yet another die shrink and tweak for 2011 or 2012, and with 3x the clockspeed and 2x-3x the ram, they could make something that is very reasonable for 720p rendering. Include a scaler to get it to display 1080i, NTSC, and PAL, and rely on the TV's internal scaler if it needs to scale to 1080p. This is my favorite theory of where they'll go. It will allow them to fairly easily maintain backwards compatibility, and will be an upgrade for their expanded audience.

2) 360/360+ (or the full generational leap) - Whole new chipset and 512 megs of ram. Aim to meet or beat what the 360 and PS3 do. This could be where Nintendo goes. I think that they'll do this if 3rd parties start seeing development costs come down as tools become better. I"m a bit skeptical of this as texturing is paid for in man-hours.

3) SuperGenerational Leap - Whole new chipset and one or more gigs of ram. Stuff as much hardware as they can into a $300 box and still make a profit - if not immediately - then eventually. This isn't likely.

4) Extended Generation - This is the wildcard, and can be combined with any of the other three. Let the Wii stay on shelves for 8-10 years with no CPU, GPU, or RAM upgrade. We may see upgrades to Flash, wifi, control scheme (motion+ and the like), or casing, but the system's capabilities stay the same.
They should go for two so western devs can use the tech developed for PS360 systems on the next Wii (which should be more affordable by that time, anyway). If they go below that (i.e. option 1) ), they'll run into problems with western dev support again.

If they go higher than that (option 3) ), we'll see more devs going under. :(

But who the fuck knows what'll happen next-gen.

Jaagen

Those Black shots are obiviously "bullshots", but the game did look really good. I have the PS2 version and it looks absolutely stunning(it had some techincal issues, but I think it's one of the best looking PS2 games)

Nirolak said:
We still have a ways to go to compare to the original Xbox though. Here are some shots from Black:

Lol, you seriously can't tell those are bullshots? Have you played Black on the Xbox? It's nice but those shots were clearly touched up

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Flying_Phoenix said:
2D game + game that look like PS2 port

RLY ? there are better stuff on the wii than Oboro Muramasa and Monster Hunter tri ( like The Conduit ) but nothing yet can even touch the high end on the original Xbox , Xbox was a monster .

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth , Conker Live and Reloaded , Chronicles of Riddick , Ninja Gaiden , Panzer Dragon Orta , DOOM 3 , SC Double Agent , and other , wipe the floor with all of current Wii games , it's not even funny .

Totobeni said:
RLY ? there are better stuff on the wii than Oboro Muramasa and Monster Hunter tri ( like The Conduit ) but nothing yet can even touch the high end on the original Xbox , Xbox was a monster .

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth , Conker Live and Reloaded , Chronicles of Riddick , Ninja Gaiden , Panzer Dragon Orta , DOOM 3 , SC Double Agent , and other , wipe the floor with all of current Wii games , it's not even funny .
e7o5jm.jpg

Log4Girlz

bmf said:

2) 360/360+ (or the full generational leap) - Whole new chipset and 512 megs of ram. Aim to meet or beat what the 360 and PS3 do. This could be where Nintendo goes. I think that they'll do this if 3rd parties start seeing development costs come down as tools become better. I"m a bit skeptical of this as texturing is paid for in man-hours.

I want to make a new thread about this, make it a prediction thread where people make their predictions in a pre-codified way, but I know that it wouldn't end well.

EDIT: Do'h. End of page.

Make the thread damn you lol.

Totobeni said:

call of cthulhu really???im a fan of lovecraft but that game was..........weak........

Azure J

bmf said:

Not to go against your voting system or derail the main purpose of this thread but, what's stopping both a huge generational leap and profit-in-a-box from being hand in hand in the next Nintendo console? People keep on making the reasonable claim around here that it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get to a pretty decent sweet spot between tech and pricing using what's currently on the market as a basis. Using something that'd be comparable to a Radeon HD4870 or high end '09 ATi card shrunk to fit a small form factor wouldn't be so far out there price wise (this is if the next Nintendo console is aiming at a 2011 - 2012 release) and would probably allow for the highly coveted 1080P at 60fps. Couple it with a moderately up to date CPU (this I can't give any guesses to since I can't see what they would want to do here) and there wouldn't be much of a difficulty in getting a great bang for minimal bucks.

The only thing I can think of that would be a problem would be backwards compatibility... Not sure how they'd want to address that next time around, but it's definitely going to be there for them to pimp it IMO.

Edit - LOL I r kan't red. I didn't realize that what I just described was pretty much what you hinted at with option 2, so 2 it is for me! :lol

And yes, make the thread.

Totobeni said:

I think this ranks up there with one of the most often repeated misconceptions on this board. With serious effort, the Wii will beat out the original XBOX in most ways technically. There are a few tricks that the XBox can do that the Wii can not, and vice versa. The problem with proving this is that when XBox and Gamecube (where a lot of great technical wizardry happened) owners throw lists at each other, neither is likely to have a great frame of reference, and when the best that the Wii has to offer is brought up, it's usually compared against peoples memories of what the XBox was capable of, and not of any sort of objective analysis.

I really do wish we could just drop this argument and let it be done with.

bdouble

selig said:
but i say it here: make the game into cel-shading on the Wii, dark style, mature cel-shading. It would be so awsome.

you've been listening/reading way too much of the ign Wii crew. I mean did you see that shot of Rogue Squadron. I just hope F5 is still planning to release a game on the Wii. Show everyone whats up.

stuminus3

Nirolak said:
We still have a ways to go to compare to the original Xbox though. Here are some shots from Black:
:lol

I just play through Black a few months ago. On my 360, upscaled to 720p. It looked pretty good, but it most definitely did not look like that!

bmf said:

Good opinions. I'd expect say #1 or #2 with a very lineant tech and graphic standard (see Nintendo DS games (I.E. Flower, Sun, & Rain vs Hotel Dusk vs Moon and Black Sigil vs World of Destruction vs Kumantachi) .

dark10x said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Neither game appears to really push the limits of the system, technically speaking, and even if they did, it's still a rarity. Those are beautiful games, though.

I edited my post right after you posted. Also both games do look to push the Wii.

AzureJericho said:
Not to go against your voting system or derail the main purpose of this thread but, what's stopping both a huge generational leap and profit-in-a-box from being hand in hand in the next Nintendo console? People keep on making the reasonable claim around here that it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get to a pretty decent sweet spot between tech and pricing using what's currently on the market as a basis. Using something that'd be comparable to a Radeon HD4870 or high end '09 ATi card shrunk to fit a small form factor wouldn't be so far out there price wise (this is if the next Nintendo console is aiming at a 2011 - 2012 release) and would probably allow for the highly coveted 1080P at 60fps. Couple it with a moderately up to date CPU (this I can't give any guesses to since I can't see what they would want to do here) and there wouldn't be much of a difficulty in getting a great bang for minimal bucks.

The only thing I can think of that would be a problem would be backwards compatibility... Not sure how they'd want to address that next time around, but it's definitely going to be there for them to pimp it IMO.
I actually see no problem with any of the big three designing any system that they want. Ignoring situations like what Sony got themselves into with the Cell, system design should be about finding already existing technologies and adding a little bit to them along with a new system design. There is a lot of money involved in Licensing and R&D, but for a large corporation this is an expected, and once per generation cost.

The main question that has to be asked is:

When do the visual expectations become so high that they and third parties will have a hard time making a profit on games that aren't multi-million sellers? If a minimum hardcore (I hate that word in this context, but I don't have a better one) game costs $20,000,000 to develop, and they have to sell 2,000,000 copies to break even on development costs, it becomes a problem when most games don't hit a million copies. Some would say that the 360 and the PS3 already have this problem.

Nirolak said:

Bullshots with some strong signs of muddy textures.

The actual game looks nowhere near as good.

I'm not saying these games are the end for the Wii. I mean the DS keeps surprising us with it's graphical capabilities.

Best Graphical 3D games until they were outdone/probably will be:

givdvwjqwe.jpg

final-fantasy-iii-20060518082040641_640w.jpg

dementium_theward01small.jpg

932377_20060510_screen008.jpg

s34952nds4.jpg

dragon-quest-ix-protectors-of-the-sky-20070512020226523_640w.jpg

Best Graphical 2D Until they Were outdone/probably will be:

yoshi-touch-go-20050310043711136_640w.jpg

0085a.jpg

s32963_nds_12.jpg

apollo-justice-ace-attorney-20071109114734344.jpg

news_img_12515_0.jpg

Totobeni said:

Jesus people have to lie off the nostalgia juice.

cthulhu_120502_01_640w.jpg

ninjagaiden_d_022504_001_640w.jpg

panzer_010903_03_640w.jpg

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-double-agent-20060731054109043.jpg

s25581_xb_9.jpg

vs

super_mario_galaxy_03.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070711.jpg

super-smash-bros-brawl-20060516034925394_640w.jpg

pokemon-battle-revolution-wii.332887.jpg

The only games that I would say stand up to current Wii games would be Chronicles of Riddick and single player Conker. One due to amazing development skills never again replicated, the other due to taking a previous generation port and solely working on nothing but the graphics for 3 years.
J

Anony

soldat7 said:
This is footage of Dead Space running on an original Xbox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAHyOGtzxYg

Perhaps this is an indication of how the game might look on the Wii?? Looks pretty good.

There are some interesting tidbits about the development of the non-Wii version here as well:

http://sites.google.com/site/arewescaredyet/dead-space-presentation-feature

the video is so low res and low quality, you can barely tell from the 360 version

if it looks anything like that on the wii, i think everyone would be at least satisfied

yoopoo

Banned
First SSX Blur now Dead Space...hope EA has more canned Xbox projects floating around. Thats the best Wii can hope from EA.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm not saying these games are the end for the Wii. I mean the DS keeps surprising us with it's graphical capabilities.

Best Graphical 3D games until they were outdone/probably will be:
apollo-justice-ace-attorney-20071109114734344.jpg

Apollo Justice?

yoopoo said:
First SSX Blur now Dead Space...hope EA has more canned Xbox projects floating around. Thats the best Wii can hope from EA.
Uh, I don't think you understand what that Dead Space demo actually is. Or what the Wii version is.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Flying_Phoenix said:
It was under the 2D list.

And what does it show? That the DS is capable of displaying still images? Don't get me wrong I think you right about how amazing the DS is but Apollo Justice doesn't fit here.

Flying_Phoenix said:
The only games that I would say stand up to current Wii games would be Chronicles of Riddick and single player Conker. One due to amazing development skills never again replicated, the other due to taking a previous generation port and solely working on nothing but the graphics for 3 years.
J

Chaos Theory shits on almost everything on Wii, and that image you posted absolutly dosn't make it any justice, same goes for Ninja Gaiden.

Jaded Alyx said:
That image isn't from Chaos Theory.

lol. true

I thought it was Chaos Theory, because it considered one of the top graphical showcases on Xbox, so I quickly linked that image to chaos theory.

Still, my statement is correct.

Hero of Legend said:
Eh? SSX Blur was an Xbox game? Never knew that!

If so, then it was beautifully ported. Still one of the best controlling games out there that actually makes use of the motion controls properly.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So... I don't know how Dead Space ends, and I don't want to know, but could that mean that this game will take place after the 360/PS3 version?

Captain N

I can't wait to see the first trailer for Dead Space. I think the controls for the game could make or break it for a lot of people.

EDarkness

Captain N said:
I can't wait to see the first trailer for Dead Space. I think the controls for the game could make or break it for a lot of people.

I'm in this camp. If they can get the controls nailed down, then I'll jump on board. I have to admit, I'm a sucker for good Wii controls. :(

I saw that pic posted on the Dead Space site, but I'm not sure what it means exactly. Gonna assume it's from the Wii version. Since I haven't played the Xbox version, I can't make a judgment about it.

bmf said:

I think its very likely that they will go with #2. Nintendo is all about making a good profit and they like their systems to be easy/ cheap to devilop for. This gen companies can make their HD engines and next gen they can use them for Wii+. (And I expact alot of 360 ports with Wii controls)

The end will be set in motion? Was that on the blog? Could it be referring to the very end where
Necromorph attacks/kills Isaac on his way back to Earth
or was there some text or audio log that alluded to such an event?

kiruyama said:
The end will be set in motion? Was that on the blog? Could it be referring to the very end where
Necromorph attacks/kills Isaac on his way back to Earth
or was there some text or audio log that alluded to such an event?
The best part is that
that Necromorph is actually Nicole.

Neat fact hidden in the game. Take the chapter titles...

N - New Arrivals
I - Intensive Care
C - Course Correction
O - Obliteration Imminent
L - Lethal Devotion
E - Environmental Hazard

I - Into the Void
S - Search and Rescue

D - Dead on Arrival
E - End of Days
A - Alternate Solutions
D - Dead Space

Captain N

I think one of the main reasons the idea of Dead Space on the Wii excites me is because of the first Dead Space game. It was really good and has me wanting more. Dead Space better be on the DS next...its a must! Dead Space

Top Bottom