• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Del Toro's Pacific Rim is the Godzilla movie GINO wasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think in all my years of coming to gaf, seeing people seethe that robot designs in a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters in the Pacific look too Japanese, is one of the most bizarre sights I have ever witnessed.
It really is quite baffling, but then again it is primarily a video game board.

I dunno, I kinda get the feeling this is a potential bomba as well.
In terms of it's budget and what it brings in at the BO it's possible, but comparing it to Scott Pilgrim of all movies seems really ridiculous and off mark.

mjc

I don't know...I think audiences would be kind of excited by a giant monster movie. Besides Cloverfield and maaaaaaaybe King Kong we haven't really had one in a long time.

I'm not saying it's a guaranteed flop. I'm just not sure if today's general audiences are going to be huge on giant monsters fighting giant robots. I expect a lot of, "Pfffft, that looks so stupid and unrealistic." Yeah, I know. But people are stupid.

Mr_eX

I'm not saying it's a guaranteed flop. I'm just not sure if today's general audiences are going to be huge on giant monsters fighting giant robots. I expect a lot of, "Pfffft, that looks so stupid and unrealistic." Yeah, I know. But people are stupid.

People like giant fighting robots. How else would you explain the success of the Transformers movies?

This movie seems like a slam dunk to me. A dream come true for fans like me and an easy to understand, action fest for the general public. And as posted earlier it will be massive "overseas"

zomaha

People like giant fighting robots.

not just giant fighting robots, but giant fighting robots fighting giant monsters that are wrecking and destroying cities.

imo, i can't believe there hasn't been a movie like this made before, what with all the advancements in cgi and whatnot. the new godzilla sort of touched on the possibilities just a tad, but this movie looks like it's going all the way. can't wait.

I wish instead of fighting monsters, the countries of tthe world were instead having a giant robot mma olympics to decide international politics.

G Gundam is the best one

Yeah I kind of see this happening too. Sadly it doesn't seem like it will get the free pass that transformers did

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Budget
$10,000,000 (estimated)

Gross
$1,272,977 (USA)

Robo Jox

LOL I had forgotten about that movie. Childhood favorite. I was hoping that would be the scene with the rocket fist. Link delivered.

There was another one, possibly the same movie I cant remember. But all I remember is one of the robots was a giant scorpion and the tail was a laser. And it was attacking Corpus Christi, Texas.

Budget
$10,000,000 (estimated)

Gross
$1,272,977 (USA)

Robo Jox

About $10 of the box office is from me. I saw it the theater. Twice.

Yes it is crap, but silly fun. The bad guy's robot had a crotch chainsaw. There needs to be a MST3K done on this gem.

Pacific Rim will actually be a good movie though.

ZoddGutts

Here's hoping they have attack shout out names like in anime and in Tokusatsu shows. Seeing Idris Elba do that would be glorious.

Revenant

man my hype is slowly building for this. I used to love the old Godzilla films as a kid. Giant monster movie sounds good to me, especially with GDT behind it.

Palabrah

whether it flops or not US depends completely on if it has ONE cool looking robot/monster and the CGI looks badass or not. Nothing else matters man. Battleship flopped because it didnt have an identifiable presence to it.. just weird looking shit.

3N16MA

Banned
As far as this being a flop there is a lot of risk involved.

1. No huge star attached/not a well known cast
2. Del Toro is not a big name director to the average person
3. Original film (not based on any book or show and not a sequel)

That being said if it's marketed right and the trailers are as good as everyone has been saying about the footage as SDCC I can see this doing well domestically. OS is where the massive potential is.

I read earlier today that the trailer is supposed to be online Wednesday.

Countdown points to December 12 at 6PM EST.

I think in all my years of coming to gaf, seeing people seethe that robot designs in a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters in the Pacific look too Japanese, is one of the most bizarre sights I have ever witnessed.

Personally I don't think they look Japanese enough.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Will people shut the fuck up with the anime shit already?

I know right? Let's talk about this good wholesome American film about giant robots fighting monsters spilling forth from a portal in the pacific ocean.

Get that anime shit outta here.

Personally I don't think they look Japanese enough.

Agree 100%. They could have used some mecha designers consulting on design (unless they did...it certainly doesnt show).

It's just a giant robot version of Colin Mochrie.

tumblr_mdwt2hMmPB1qeve6qo1_500.gif

JdFoX187

Banned
LOL I had forgotten about that movie. Childhood favorite. I was hoping that would be the scene with the rocket fist. Link delivered.

There was another one, possibly the same movie I cant remember. But all I remember is one of the robots was a giant scorpion and the tail was a laser. And it was attacking Corpus Christi, Texas.

You're thinking of the Robo Jox sequel. I'm serious. Forget the name of it.

Recently found out about this movie. Very hyped!

Idris looks so boss :eek:

I don't know why I never put this together, but I just realized Idris will be piloting a Jaeger!! So badass! In the comic-con footage , it is clear he is the leader giving a rallying speech and somehow I did not imagine him also fighting.

I don't know why, but I have this feeling Idris will die early in the movie.

I too am expecting him to go down around the halfway point. Don't know why. All we know about him is that he's a leader, but for some reason I can easily imagine something going wrong and him sacrificing himself to hold off a kaiju. Then his death inspires the main characters.

We should have a thread where we each try to come up with the most accurate prediction of a movie's plot based solely on trailers and promotional material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom