• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - $9.99 via Amazon Lightning Deal at 8:10PM Pacific Time

Kadin

I'm in for one definitely. Been meaning to get it for a while now and this is the perfect opportunity. No pushing or shoving though people, don't need no mad Walmart turn out...

I'm a big fan of SMT games but don't really know anything about this one, how does it compare to the others? Is it related to the Raidou Kuzunoha games since it's also called Devil Summoner? I've played those + Nocturne/SMTIV/Persona3&4.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Soul Hackers was really interesting. The plot and characters were great, the voice acting was great, the soundtrack was fantastic, the cyberpunk setting was executed well, the battle system was entertaining enough for me. The only parts I really didn't like were the sidequests. The sidequests, the few there were, weren't really great and one in particular was incredibly irritating.

For $10, it's a great deal. Hopefully it comes with the mini-ost cd. It's really good.

Also, that new opening video. The old opening is included too.

Here's the full soundtrack if anyone's interested in the game's music.

90's FMVs are so fucking rad.

With lightning deals do I have to purchase the game immediately after putting it in my cart to keep the deal?

I need some time to shop around for other stuff to get free shipping.

Korigama

I'm a big fan of SMT games but don't really know anything about this one, how does it compare to the others? Is it related to the Raidou Kuzunoha games since it's also called Devil Summoner? I've played those + Nocturne/SMTIV/Persona3&4.
As a matter of fact, it is. The timeline for Devil Summoner goes like this:

Raidou Kuzunoha (vs. The Soulless Army and vs. King Abaddon) --> Devil Summoner (the original Saturn game that started the Devil Summoner spin-off series) --> Soul Hackers

Like SMT IV, it's a turn-based game with battles done in first-person. However, since this was originally made before Nocturne, the Press Turn System isn't in place, and like with the second Raidou game (late EDIT: just remembered that was both Raidou games for the moon phase and demon loyalty bits), moon phases and demon loyalty come into play (though unlike SMT IV, if you anger a demon during negotiations, you can't talk to that same one again, as the case also was with King Abaddon). Though leveling up demons was a factor in the Raidou Kuzunoha games, as well as SMT III and IV, demon levels are fixed in Soul Hackers. Like with games such as SMT I and II, as well as Persona 1, dungeons are explored in first-person as well (SH using random battles for combat). As the case is in SMT IV, there are different apps that you can equip to modify your options while in the field.

The combat is dated mechanically (though the battles do go by quickly), but the cast, story, and setting are quite interesting. Great music as well.

Thanks Korigama! I think I'll pick this up, what I've seen of the story/setting has me intrigued. I really like SMT games but I feel like I've only scratched the surface on the whole thing.

I already have this downloaded on my 3DS but I love this game so much I'm willing to throw another $10 at Atlus. I'm assuming that we can't put this game in our cart in advance to take advantage of the deal before it's in effect?

Excellent, managed to order it. When I reloaded the page right after it went live it was like 60% claimed already and I near panic'd.

kai3345

Banned
aw yeah got one, had a weird price bug at first where the lightning deal didn't apply, but I managed to delete it and re-add it in time

Top Bottom