• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - $9.99 via Amazon Lightning Deal at 8:10PM Pacific Time

You buy the Classic Megaten Goodness now! There's no time! Hack in now!

Will be quite a good price for this, especially if they still have the 1st printing (w/ the soundtrack CD) mixed in their stock.

Listen to the Spooky guy, he knows what's what.

This game is dated, and while the convenience features help,

It's arguably one of the least dated PSX games outside of king-maker Square's masterpieces. Virtually no clunk compared with say, Ultima 8 or Persona 1.

Dammit, and I just bought a used copy (with the back insert slightly water damaged) for $30 on Black Friday. I know it was expensive, but I needed something for my B2G2 free deal.

Yasumi

Banned
Was in the middle of some Phoenix Wright, when I just remembered it at 11:12. $22 in total, including $9 shipping (the slowest). Whatevs, still cheaper than I'd be able to find it in a local store.

SeanTSC

Grabbed it too. Heh, was watching the page with the clock ticking down on it and when it rolled over and loaded in for me it was already at 33% claimed.

Man that went fast.

Soriku

This game is dated, and while the convenience features help, it is still very much a 90's dungeon crawler.

However it has an amazing setting. Seriously. And the battle system has all sorts of cool stuff going on. Its a great buy if you're at all able to stomach the rough edges of a low budget game from that era.

Didn't think it was very dated, as far as gameplay is concerned. The dungeon crawling is solid, battles are ridiculously fast, save anywhere. I also liked how fighting nearly all battles made you overleveled eventually, which means you can use Estoma/Repulse Water to bypass all battles if you want. Very useful at the Amami Monolith.

wtf why are you doing this when there are other people that haven't even had a chance to play it yet

even after waiting 15 years since the PSX version got canceled!

I have it on digital for my 3DS taking some precautions just in case. Plus, I plan on letting one my close friends try it as he never played a Megaten game before and this was the first one that I played. Might as well introduce him with the same game I did only I don't have to let him borrow my whole system since he already has one. Sharing is caring right?

abrack08

Was in the middle of some Phoenix Wright, when I just remembered it at 11:12. $22 in total, including $9 shipping (the slowest). Whatevs, still cheaper than I'd be able to find it in a local store.

Shipping for me was $5. But, I had an order from Thursday night that still hadn't shipped that was ~$80, so I canceled Batman: Arkham Origins from that order and added it to this one to get the free 5-8 day shipping.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For $10 (& possibly the CD included), I might as well try it. Hopefully, with the addition of the map, the dungeons will be more to my liking compared to Persona 1 on PSP.

abrack08

So, how's the story in this game? MegaTen games I've played are: SMT4 (really like), Persona 3 and 4 (love), and Devil Survivor on the DS (meh). I'm okay with dungeon crawling but without an interesting story/characters behind it I'll probably lose interest.

abrack08

Its more like SMT4 in terms of story. The plot is good, the setting is unique and interesting, but 95% of your time with the game will be crawling dungeons and optimizing your demons. It is not as story driven as a Persona game, far from it.

Yeah I'm aware the other SMT games and spinoffs are nothing like Persona. And I did enjoy SMT4. It doesn't have to be "gaming's citizen kane" or whatever, I just want to make sure it's not Etrian Odyssey levels of nothing*

*Note: I've never played EO, that's just what I've heard :)

Its more like SMT4 in terms of story. The plot is good, the setting is unique and interesting, but 95% of your time with the game will be crawling dungeons and optimizing your demons. It is not as story driven as a Persona game, far from it.

Oh god, what did I just buy?!

Josh378

I swear, I am going by what the GAF tells me. If this games suck, I spent $11 for nothing...vengeance shall be mines then GAFers!!!

Psxphile

Hm, got in too late. Never done the waitlist thing. Think I'm in the 200s. It says it'll alert me if when becomes available? How exactly? Email? Will a gong ring if I keep the page open in another tab? Figured I'd put in s'more time with Ys V while I wait.

EMT0

Banned
Hm, got in too late. Never done the waitlist thing. Think I'm in the 200s. It says it'll alert me if when becomes available? How exactly? Email? Will a gong ring if I keep the page open in another tab? Figured I'd put in s'more time with Ys V while I wait.

How can you tell where you are on the waitlist?

abrack08

I swear, I am going by what the GAF tells me. If this games suck, I spent $11 for nothing...vengeance shall be mines then GAFers!!!

Gaf rarely steers ya wrong, NIER and Bayonetta are also both excellent.

... But stay away from Alpha Protocol, no matter what other Gaffers say about it. Learned that one the hard way.

KarmaCow

I really wanted to like the game, but even the awesome cyberpunk setting born out of the 90s couldn't make up for the boring easy battles and demon customization hidden behind an even more arcane fusing system than most recent SMT titles.

Josh378

Gaf rarely steers ya wrong, NIER and Bayonetta are also both excellent.

... But stay away from Alpha Protocol, no matter what other Gaffers say about it. Learned that one the hard way.

Yea, I got those off a black Friday sale from last year thanks to the GAF (amazing games...NIER reviews doesn't give this game justice)...heck, all 100+ Steam game sales I own are thanks to the GAF board...but I am a bit wary of this game, but I will listen to the GAF on this one.

mBEbGgn.png

Didn't make it in time. Oh well.

Psxphile

How can you tell where you are on the waitlist?

It told me in a pop-up window as soon as I added myself, but I haven't figured out if there's a way to check after. Also, just read that another pop-up will appear in the top-right corner while browsing the Amazon site to alert you when a copy is available. Guess you just gotta be vigilant. How much time do we have to claim it before we lose it?

Ponn

Banned
It told me in a pop-up window as soon as I added myself, but I haven't figured out if there's a way to check after. Also, just read that another pop-up will appear in the top-right corner while browsing the Amazon site to alert you when a copy is available. Guess you just gotta be vigilant. How much time do we have to claim it before we lose it?

Usually like 3 to 4 min

Top Bottom