• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Homicide v Jim Sterling dismissed

Jim just did a great write up on the whole ordeal.

After a year of lingering and a cavalcade of increasingly exasperating amendments, it is a distinct personal pleasure to finally be able to say that the lawsuit “James Romine v. James Stanton” has been dismissed with prejudice following discussions between my lawyer Bradley Hartman and the plaintiff James Romine.

Link

Can't wait for the jimquisition on this.

iMax

9620777_orig.gif

Congrats to Jim. I kind of gathered this was coming to an end because of him mentioning Digital Homicide in a few recent Jimquisitions, but it's good to have official confirmation! :)

Nzyme32

I'll be disappointed if the statement does not also come accompanied by Chains of Love dancing. Sadly the site won't function right now, so I will simply imagine that is the case. Good show.

Sethista

Good, it will set a precedent for this kind of stuff in the future, hopefully making it harder for devs to try this

Murkas

When keeping it real goes wrong.

"James Romine could have just brushed off the YouTube video, but he decided to keep it real."

WormBoi

Banned
Really good news! It sucks that Romine's wife and kids will be negatively affected by his bullshit antics though.

This was settled out of court. No precedent is being set.

Well... sort of settled. Settlement usually means both sides agree to things. It doesn't look like Jim had to agree to anything. He obviously didn't agree to a NDA and he didn't give a penny to Digital Homicide.

It looks like his attorney basically scared Digital Homicide off.

Hopefully Jim didn't sign any sort of NDA about this.
I want to hear all the juicy details.

He obviously didn't. You can read his write-up.

The sad part of this all is Jim still had to spend what was likely a large legal fee to defend this frivolous lawsuit and there's no recourse for him to get those fees back. Most he can do is maybe write it off as a legal/business expense on his taxes.

TS-08

Well... sort of settled. Settlement usually means both sides agree to things. It doesn't look like Jim had to agree to anything. He obviously didn't agree to a NDA and he didn't give a penny to Digital Homicide.

It looks like his attorney basically scared Digital Homicide off.

He obviously didn't. You can read his write-up.

The sad part of this all is Jim still had to spend what was likely a large legal fee to defend this frivolous lawsuit and there's no recourse for him to get those fees back. Most he can do is maybe write it off as a legal/business expense on his taxes.

It's a settlement. There was a negotiaton and the case was voluntarily dismissed as a result. I'm sure Jim's attorney was threatening counterclaims.

I wonder what kind of legal fees Jim has incurred as a result of all of this. That's still an injustice.

I can't fucking wait for the next Podquisition, and the Jimquisition that covers this.

The fact it took this long is fucking embarassing and the fact Jim had to spend $0.01 defending himself in this situation is frightening.

Steroyd

For those curious about this resolution, I was not a direct part of the communication between Romine and my lawyer, but as I understand it, the agreement to drop the suit with prejudice was the result of Hartman's enviable reasoning ability. The plaintiff agreed to drop his case after my lawyer explained exactly what would happen if this went to court and how we would respond.

If only Romine had someone reasonable on his side a full goddamn year ago, fuck that 3 years ago now since the whole thing started? Geez us!!

While the accusations found within the lawsuit are farcical and definitively veer into comedy territory – as we'll find out when I go through it in detail at a later date

hqdefault.jpg

Excellent

This was settled out of court. No precedent is being set.

No legal precedent, sure, but at least anecdotally. If you're a dev looking to gag someone and claim damages for their negative opinions regarding your game then this will likely make you reconsider. If someone so apparently committed to pursuing the lawsuit hits this outcome pre-trial, that certainly sets an informal precedent.

I mean I agree with your point, you're right, but I just think that's what the poster talking about precedent meant :).

Steroyd

No legal precedent, sure, but at least anecdotally. If you're a dev looking to gag someone and claim damages for their negative opinions regarding your game then this will likely make you reconsider. If someone so apparently committed to pursuing the lawsuit hits this outcome pre-trial, that certainly sets an informal precedent.

I mean I agree with your point, you're right, but I just think that's what the poster talking about precedent meant :).

Lets not forget that Romine can no longer do business with Steam under digital homicide, what little reputation they had is absolutely destroyed if they were to try anything again because it would be under the utmost scrutiny by at the bare minumum those 100 steam users they tried to sue, and they're left with a if not slapped with a legal bill no income with kids to feed until he finds a job.

Meanwhile Jim's Patreon probably increased, got increased exposure and can only go from strength to strength from this point on.

May not be a legal precedent but it's a damn shocking example, to show other people who try to do the same shit.

Dargor

What does "dismissed with prejudice" means exactly?

Glad to hear Jim is out of this one. Though he should probably sue Digital Homicide for extreme bothering lol

-shadow-

Of all game controversies, this one has to take the cake. How bizarre it was to see unfold over the past year.

What does "dismissed with prejudice" means exactly?

Glad to hear Jim is out of this one. Though he should probably sue Digital Homicide for extreme bothering lol
It means it can't be re-filed

If it was "without prejudice" they could later try to sue him again for the same thing

Hopefully Jim didn't sign any sort of NDA about this.
I want to hear all the juicy details.

I can see that having been a requirement, to be honest - that he's not allowed to make any videos referencing DH, the court case or the terms of their agreement. Would be a shame though, as I want the details of what happened!

The really sad thing in all this is that Romine destroyed his business and probably brought himself (and his family) to the brink of financial ruin because he couldn't take criticism of his shitty games. And he's no doubt raised Jim's profile an awful lot in doing so.

Bulby

Hard to believe it had to go through all this.

As much as people will want to shit on DH now, this guy (or guys I think), need some real help/advice regarding life.

I think in the conversation the held, way before the lawsuit, the guy stated he has kids and DH is his income. This blows my mind.

Top Bottom