• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Homicide plunges further into insanity - Sues Steam users

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Courtesy of lashman:

CsgwUo2WgAEIdKQ.jpg

Syriel

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So Digital Homicide is gonna sue Valve now, right?

This is amazing.

Don't give them any ideas legal advice

Primus

Well, that didn't take long. Biting the hand that feeds you is one thing. Threatening it with a lawsuit? Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Plus, this is great ammunition for Jim to possibly use in his suit.

brutalsavagerekt.jpg

DataGhost

Well, that didn't take long. Biting the hand that feeds you is one thing. Threatening it with a lawsuit? Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Plus, this is great ammunition for Jim to possibly use in his suit.

brutalsavagerekt.jpg

Will the courts throw it out now that the games no longer "exist" in the original state that they were played in?

Primus

Will the courts throw it out now that the games no longer "exist" in the original state that they were played in?

<puts on Not A Lawyer Hat>

It certainly doesn't help Romine's case. Hell, nothing about this new situation does. It continues to portray Romine as a vexatious litigant, and when he inevitably sues Valve for delisting DigiHom's games, that'll just add fuel to the bonfire.

</hat>

Burn, baby, burn.

Chronoja

To be honest, it's stunning that this is the line they had to cross before anything was done considering all they've been getting away with. Like I'm so happy they've effectively played themselves off the platform, but damn, I just hope no other idiots take the wrong lessons away from this, i.e. "this is valve's threshold, everything below is fair game", because that's almost the message Valve sent by not addressing any of this sooner.

To be honest, it's stunning that this is the line they had to cross before anything was done considering all they've been getting away with. Like I'm so happy they've effectively played themselves off the platform, but damn, I just hope no other idiots take the wrong lessons away from this, i.e. "this is valve's threshold, everything below is fair game", because that's almost the message Valve sent by not addressing any of this sooner.
Eh, where do you draw the line though?

How shitty does a game have to be to be de-listed?

How dickish do devs have to be to their critics or fans for that to happen?

Drawing a line at a dev attempting to sue Valve's customers seems like a good one.

Chronoja

Eh, where do you draw the line though?

How shitty does a game have to be to be de-listed?

How dickish do devs have to be to their critics or fans for that to happen?

Drawing a line at a dev attempting to sue Valve's customers seems like a good one.

You don't have to draw the line at the quality of a game or community interaction. They were setting up multiple studios for nearly every game they released on steam, it might not be illegal but pretty shady nonetheless. It felt pretty obvious to most people that this wasn't a normal dev studio operating under normal standards, hell it wasn't even anomalous standards, instead a couple of people trying to game the system, and being allowed to do so.

Valve isn't in the business of removing games just because the developers are assholes, or because the games are bad.

If the latter was true, all the terrible console ports from well-recognized and respected studios/publishers wouldn't be on Steam right now. Like Dark Souls.

Suing Valve's customers was a direct attack on the company. You mess with their source of income, you mess with them too. So it's not surprising they finally did something, it had less to do with Digital Homicide's games being garbage, but everything to do with Valve protecting their business and their customers.

At the risk of being a spoilsport, I want to wait a few days before celebrating. Remember when all those Krog Wars clones got flagged for being incompatible with Steam, then later the flags were gone?

Although apparently, Steam was once ready to wipe their games but relented when James said everyone was just meanie poop heads saying meanie poop things about him. Maybe the subpoena tipped Steam over the edge.

Do these guys have a Twitter or social media presence?

Twitter with 134K followers. I want to say the vast majority of them are purchased bots, but that would put me on the list for when Robert decides to sue NeoGAF.

Amani

I feel like DH wrote the same "Things to do to gain attention" list that Kanye West wrote. Or one rivaling it at least.

Top Bottom